Good teams win, Great teams cover.

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Bullnamed_gus

Good teams win, Great teams cover.

Post by Bullnamed_gus » January 3rd, 2023, 9:06 pm

We did both. Line was -7.5 Utah state. This isn’t the typical Air Force game.

Sure we almost blew another 20 point lead but we didn’t and we won by double digits.

Kevincurtisforlife

Re: Good teams win, Great teams cover.

Post by Kevincurtisforlife » January 3rd, 2023, 9:14 pm

Thank heavens. That game was giving me Weber state vibes for a minute.
These users thanked the author Kevincurtisforlife for the post:
MrBiggle

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » January 3rd, 2023, 9:17 pm

AF has a solid team that does not quit. They play hard and have some pieces to grow around. Proud of the Aggies for not folding and finding enough wins. The defense from the 5:00 minute mark to the 1:00 minute mark was awesome. The Aggies did not get a field goal the last 8 minutes and still won by 12, that is awesome.

SLB

Post by SLB » January 3rd, 2023, 9:17 pm

We lose focus when we get way ahead which happens with teams, but we need to learn to gain focus after losing focus sooner.

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » January 3rd, 2023, 9:21 pm

We went the last 8:39 without a field goal. Nice to still win by double digits.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » January 3rd, 2023, 9:23 pm

NVAggie wrote:
January 3rd, 2023, 9:21 pm
It was nice to see the team win it at the defensive end. Aside from the last minute the defense was really good for about 4-5 minute stretch to seal the deal.

AGGIEinIOWA

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » January 3rd, 2023, 9:29 pm

It was nice to see us hit our free throws.
These users thanked the author AGGIEinIOWA for the post:
BearLakeMonster

Coloraggie

Post by Coloraggie » January 4th, 2023, 10:40 am

NVAggie wrote:
They mentioned this on the broadcast but I'm not concerned with how many field goals but how many points we scored over that stretch. Many of our possessions ended with FT's so there isn't a chance to get FG but we still score points. In this game we scored 15 points in the last 8:39 and I'm going to calculate it from 8:14 since we scored at 8:39 and didn't get the ball back until 8:14 (hard to score if you don't have the ball and we didn't turn it over). Scoring 15 points in that span averages to 73 points per game. It is below our average but not a lot below and just very slightly below our average for this game. Count me not worried about the last minutes of this game.
These users thanked the author Coloraggie for the post (total 2):
FloridaAggie13NVAggie

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » January 4th, 2023, 10:50 am

10-4 against the spread on the season. That's pretty good.
These users thanked the author Roy McAvoy for the post:
treesap32

BiocatAg

Post by BiocatAg » January 4th, 2023, 10:55 am

Coloraggie wrote:
January 4th, 2023, 10:40 am
NVAggie wrote:
They mentioned this on the broadcast but I'm not concerned with how many field goals but how many points we scored over that stretch. Many of our possessions ended with FT's so there isn't a chance to get FG but we still score points. In this game we scored 15 points in the last 8:39 and I'm going to calculate it from 8:14 since we scored at 8:39 and didn't get the ball back until 8:14 (hard to score if you don't have the ball and we didn't turn it over). Scoring 15 points in that span averages to 73 points per game. It is below our average but not a lot below and just very slightly below our average for this game. Count me not worried about the last minutes of this game.
True about the FTs. The concerning thing to me is the number of missed shots right next to the basket when a foul wasn't called.

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » January 4th, 2023, 10:57 am

Aggie84025 wrote:
January 3rd, 2023, 9:17 pm
AF has a solid team that does not quit. They play hard and have some pieces to grow around. Proud of the Aggies for not folding and finding enough wins. The defense from the 5:00 minute mark to the 1:00 minute mark was awesome. The Aggies did not get a field goal the last 8 minutes and still won by 12, that is awesome.
Our run in the first half was spurred by strong defense creating turnovers and causing missed shots which results in early offense before AF can set up their D.

Their run in the second half was predicated on our defense not being as stout as it was in the first half. They were pick and rolling us to death for about five minutes it seemed.

scotlandog

Post by scotlandog » January 4th, 2023, 11:04 am

Coloraggie wrote:
NVAggie wrote:
Good point. Overall, not concerned with how we get our points, especially if they are putting us on the FT line. That’s the easiest points of all. But if we went scoreless across that span or scored very little, like we did against Weber, then there is an issue. What do we care if they are racking up fouls and we are getting the highest % shots in the game. You win doing that.

But looking at this game specifically, there was a bad stretch between the 8:00 mark and the 2:00 mark where we only scored 2pts. Fortunately they also only scored 2pts across that span. So we have to minimize events like that 6mim stretch where we were missing shots and having TO’s. When those stretches hit, that’s when we need to force the ball inside and let Akin do some dirty work. He’s shooting 62.6% from the field. We need to utilize that more and react/change quicker when these multiple missed possessions occur. That 6mim span had 9 possessions without scoring or TO’s. We need to react to game time quicker. We need a timeout in that span somewhere to reset. This is mostly on coach but he is also teaching the guys to work through it themselves, so I expect some initiative from the players as well to make that change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author scotlandog for the post:
NVAggie

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » January 4th, 2023, 11:24 am

Coloraggie wrote:
NVAggie wrote:
You make a good point here and there is a nice rebuttal about the 8 to 2 minute span. Luckily, AFA was also missing their shots in that span.

Aggie19

Post by Aggie19 » January 4th, 2023, 11:28 am

Coloraggie wrote:
NVAggie wrote:
Was interested to see what this looked like with data. I think from around the 2 minute mark, free throws were definitely part of the equation and should be taken into consideration. Before that, from the made FG by Funk at 8:39 until around the 2 minute mark, were not great results, with 7 of 10 possessions ending in a turnover/missed shot. Overall during that last 8:39 of the game we had the ball for 3:01 in total game time.

These users thanked the author Aggie19 for the post:
FloridaAggie13

Go Aggies!

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » January 4th, 2023, 12:10 pm

We are 10-4 against the spread this season. That's pretty good.
These users thanked the author Roy McAvoy for the post:
Aggie84025

MrBiggle

Post by MrBiggle » January 4th, 2023, 12:17 pm

scotlandog wrote:
January 4th, 2023, 11:04 am
Coloraggie wrote:
NVAggie wrote:
Good point. Overall, not concerned with how we get our points, especially if they are putting us on the FT line. That’s the easiest points of all. But if we went scoreless across that span or scored very little, like we did against Weber, then there is an issue. What do we care if they are racking up fouls and we are getting the highest % shots in the game. You win doing that.

But looking at this game specifically, there was a bad stretch between the 8:00 mark and the 2:00 mark where we only scored 2pts. Fortunately they also only scored 2pts across that span. So we have to minimize events like that 6mim stretch where we were missing shots and having TO’s. When those stretches hit, that’s when we need to force the ball inside and let Akin do some dirty work. He’s shooting 62.6% from the field. We need to utilize that more and react/change quicker when these multiple missed possessions occur. That 6mim span had 9 possessions without scoring or TO’s. We need to react to game time quicker. We need a timeout in that span somewhere to reset. This is mostly on coach but he is also teaching the guys to work through it themselves, so I expect some initiative from the players as well to make that change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I agree. I believe we only had one timeout remaining at the 7 minute mark? Obviously you don't want to be in that position with just one timeout, but would it have been a good move to use up that last timeout?

Where only sage brush grows

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » January 4th, 2023, 12:22 pm

Aggie19 wrote:
January 4th, 2023, 11:28 am
Coloraggie wrote:
NVAggie wrote:
Was interested to see what this looked like with data. I think from around the 2 minute mark, free throws were definitely part of the equation and should be taken into consideration. Before that, from the made FG by Funk at 8:39 until around the 2 minute mark, were not great results, with 7 of 10 possessions ending in a turnover/missed shot. Overall during that last 8:39 of the game we had the ball for 3:01 in total game time.

I was actually encouraged by the scoring drought since i thought the Aggies defense from the 6 min to the 2 min mark was spot on. They clamped down really well on AF during that run and gave up very few points. Scoring droughts will happen but to win by double digits with that scoring drought gives me optimism going forward.

Aggie702

Post by Aggie702 » January 4th, 2023, 12:31 pm

We always beat AF in Logan and at the MWC Tourney. We tend to alternate wins at their place every other year. So we were due to win this year since we lost at their place last year.

Kidding aside, it's tough to win on the road in conference play. Glad we get the W and hope we can get another in Boise.

nswaggie

Post by nswaggie » January 4th, 2023, 1:12 pm

Aggie702 wrote:
January 4th, 2023, 12:31 pm
We always beat AF in Logan and at the MWC Tourney. We tend to alternate wins at their place every other year. So we were due to win this year since we lost at their place last year.

Kidding aside, it's tough to win on the road in conference play. Glad we get the W and hope we can get another in Boise.
Exactly right. You cannot afford to lose to Air Force and the bottom half of the league if you want to contend IMO. New Mexico’s loss to Fresno very well may come back to haunt them. There are too many tougher road games to be losing road games to the bottom half of the league.

Locked Previous topicNext topic