"USU has recent upperhand on BYU rivalry"

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
QuackAttackAggie
Pick'em Champ - '12, '22 Bowl; '15, '17 Weekly; '18 BB Predict the Score; '22 Kickoff

"USU has recent upperhand on BYU rivalry"

Post by QuackAttackAggie » November 19th, 2010, 12:27 am

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball ... aab-287264

calls usu-byu one of the most underrated in state rivalries.

"Part of the reason the unnamed BYU student may have taken so much pleasure in defeating Utah State is because the Aggies have enjoyed the upper hand in the rivalry recently. Utah State defeated the Cougars in their lone hoops meeting last season and ended a 10-game losing streak to BYU in football on Sept. 29 with a 31-16 upset."

Calls the foul on wesley "dubious" an says any anger about the scoreboard is over-reaction.

AGinNEIowa
Pick'em Champ - '15, '16, '17 WTHCG

Re: "USU has recent upperhand on BYU rivalry"

Post by AGinNEIowa » November 19th, 2010, 8:59 am

story linked above is the headline on Yahoo!'s homepage.
www.yahoo.com

akborder
Has thanked: 0

On the front page of YAHOO.COM...love it

Post by akborder » November 19th, 2010, 9:02 am

Riburn3

BYU Apologizes

Post by Riburn3 » November 19th, 2010, 9:24 am

Merged from another thread.

Hey Utags,

Not sure if you all got this, and if you did I'm sorry, but I was surfing on the Yahoo homepage and this was the featured article stating "BYU apologizes for disrespectful post-game scoreboard message" with a big picture of the billboard. Seems your fans made some noise and are getting national attention. Puts USU in a very positive light. CHEERS! :cheers:

Here's a link to the article

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball ... aab-287264

Here's the official apology:

As a university, we apologize for the inappropriate message that was briefly posted on the BYU scoreboard at the end of the Utah State-BYU men's basketball game. BYU's athletic director Tom Holmoe also has apologized to Utah State's athletic director, Scott Barnes. As Tom explained to him, the university is extremely sorry for this message, which does not reflect the sentiment of BYU Athletics or the university.

Athletics does not operate the scoreboard in the Marriott Center; instead, this is handled by the university's IT department. In this incident, the usual person was not at work because of a family emergency. The student employee filling in took the liberty of putting up what he thought was a humorous message. This matter has been addressed with the student, who regrets his action.

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » November 19th, 2010, 9:30 am

I guess both sides of the six page thread were right.
1. It is a university run jumbotron
2. It was a punk student acting alone.

Jayzep

Utah State makes front page on yahoo

Post by Jayzep » November 19th, 2010, 9:45 am

rAggie

Post by rAggie » November 19th, 2010, 10:02 am

At this stage I would like to take partial credit for getting this controversy rolling online :)
:cool2:

Showing my True Colors since 2022

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » November 19th, 2010, 10:04 am

rAggie wrote:At this stage I would like to take partial credit for getting this controversy rolling online :)
:golfclap:

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » November 19th, 2010, 10:48 am

treesap32 wrote:
rAggie wrote:At this stage I would like to take partial credit for getting this controversy rolling online :)
:golfclap:
:notworthy: :notworthy: :golfclap: :golfclap: :rock: :rock: :cheers: :cheers:

BlueThrough
Been thanked: 0

Post by BlueThrough » November 19th, 2010, 12:22 pm

Everyone look at me. My first post on this site was an EPIC FAIL.

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » November 19th, 2010, 12:36 pm

BlueThrough wrote:Are you serious??? Thank you Mr. QuackAttackAggie for making USU the laughing stock of all of college football! Do you really think that was disrespectful or inappropriate? I think we are mad that we didn't think of it first! I'm reminded of some distasteful things we have done to BYU....

:bangwall: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fjv-jXrDLU :bangwall:

And since it wasn't a BYU administrator, but was a fill-in student, it wasn't the university that was rubbing salt into that wound. I'm glad that you posted a link the the article, though you chose to quote paragraph of the article, did you miss his closing statement? Please let me refresh your memory...

"While anger over that foul call is understandable, any outrage at the scoreboard message is overreaction at its worst. This wasn't anything malicious. It was exactly the sort of lighthearted prank that makes college rivalries fun."

And did you check out the 895 comments at the bottom??? Which more and more are being written as I write!

"Mildly humorous, not a controversy and DEFINITELY not news!"
"It is just some harmless fun after a 'game'."
"What is wrong with a little trash talkin? our world has gone nuts...."
"At the end of the day they all lose because they are mormons!"

Thanks, that is exactly the type of publicity we needed! There are those who now see us as poor sports and others who use it to bash on the Mormons. Thank you Mr. QuackAttackAggie, you really have outdone yourself! :thanks:
What is it with these BYU fans coming over here pretending to be Aggie fans? I don't get it. Just man up and tell us who you really are. There is no rule against being a BYU fan and voicing your opinion on this board. There is a rule about impersonating other people on this board.
And did you not even read his post? :wtf:

NVAggie

Post by NVAggie » November 19th, 2010, 12:46 pm

BlueThrough wrote:Are you serious??? Thank you Mr. QuackAttackAggie for making USU the laughing stock of all of college football! Do you really think that was disrespectful or inappropriate? I think we are mad that we didn't think of it first! I'm reminded of some distasteful things we have done to BYU....

And since it wasn't a BYU administrator, but was a fill-in student, it wasn't the university that was rubbing salt into that wound. I'm glad that you posted a link the the article, though you chose to quote paragraph of the article, did you miss his closing statement? Please let me refresh your memory...

"While anger over that foul call is understandable, any outrage at the scoreboard message is overreaction at its worst. This wasn't anything malicious. It was exactly the sort of lighthearted prank that makes college rivalries fun."

And did you check out the 895 comments at the bottom??? Which more and more are being written as I write!

"Mildly humorous, not a controversy and DEFINITELY not news!"
"It is just some harmless fun after a 'game'."
"What is wrong with a little trash talkin? our world has gone nuts...."
"At the end of the day they all lose because they are mormons!"

Thanks, that is exactly the type of publicity we needed! There are those who now see us as poor sports and others who use it to bash on the Mormons. Thank you Mr. QuackAttackAggie, you really have outdone yourself! :thanks:

WARNING: BYU TROLL IN OUR PRESENCE. DO NOT READ.

Quack was just posting the article, he didn't fuel the six page thread fire BYU man.

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » November 19th, 2010, 12:51 pm

NVAggie wrote: WARNING: BYU TROLL IN OUR PRESENCE. DO NOT READ.

Quack was just posting the article, he didn't fuel the six page thread fire BYU man.
LOL. My favorite part of his post was where he said:
Thank you Mr. QuackAttackAggie for making USU the laughing stock of all of college football!
I wonder if he is really that clueless or if it was just a type-o.

wacfan08

JumboTron gate - Aftermath

Post by wacfan08 » November 19th, 2010, 12:59 pm

Merged from another thread (probably best way to let this die is to not create extra threads about it) - The Management.

I know that is might be opening a can of worms but I think that we all need to let this go. I thought what happen was Bush League. And I think BYU gave a back handed apology about it. But I also think that because this has his ESPN, YAHOO, NY TIMES, ect ect ect. This is just what BYU doesn't want. They don't want to be in the news for being unsportsman like. They Yahoo store has over 1000 comments. People think it was over blown but the fact is they are still talking about it. To be honest this did more damage to BYU athletics and public perception than had we won that game ( i would still take the win ). But I think it is time to let it go. BYU won a good game. We got a "sorry it happen but it's not our fault". And BYU looks like a bunch of d*cks to the rest of the nation. ( something I have known since birth )

Zaggie07

Post by Zaggie07 » November 19th, 2010, 1:17 pm

And since it wasn't a BYU administrator, but was a fill-in student, it wasn't the university that was rubbing salt into that wound.
Wow. I just don't see how the Winning Team/Losing Team chant is that disrespectful, inappropriate, or distasteful. I guess anything done to byu short of kissing their Jimmer qualifies as such? :noidea: I'm sure that would be an honor code violation, however.

QuackAttackAggie
Pick'em Champ - '12, '22 Bowl; '15, '17 Weekly; '18 BB Predict the Score; '22 Kickoff

Post by QuackAttackAggie » November 19th, 2010, 2:17 pm

my favorite part is where he said i ignored his closing statements, but i said that the blogger
" Calls the foul on wesley "dubious" an says any anger about the scoreboard is over-reaction. "

speaking of over reaction......whatafreak

BlueNtheFace

Post by BlueNtheFace » November 19th, 2010, 2:58 pm

Looking at the 'spectrum' of purposes behind each comment at the end of that Yahoo article, how many are to:
1)comment on the classlessness of BYU for the Jumbotron incident;
2)bash USU for their overreaction; or,
3)take the opportunity to rip on the LDS church in a public forum.

I didn't count, but it wasn't overwhelmingly obvious for #1 or #2. #3 seems to be the agenda most utilized. If that's the case, then their minds are already made up on the subject, so no harm done.

This was just a lame attempt at smack by an immature student who saw his chance and took it. He got punished. Save it for our visit in 2011. It'll be fun. Hey, maybe you'll beat those "bad guys"... ;)

Go Cougars!

78-72

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » November 19th, 2010, 3:02 pm

BlueNtheFace wrote:Looking at the 'spectrum' of purposes behind each comment at the end of that Yahoo article, how many are to:
1)comment on the classlessness of BYU for the Jumbotron incident;
2)bash USU for their overreaction; or,
3)take the opportunity to rip on the LDS church in a public forum.

I didn't count, but it wasn't overwhelmingly obvious for #1 or #2. #3 seems to be the agenda most utilized. If that's the case, then their minds are already made up on the subject, so no harm done.

This was just a lame attempt at smack by an immature student who saw his chance and took it. He got punished. Save it for our visit in 2011. It'll be fun. Hey, maybe you'll beat those "bad guys"... ;)
Man, it's nice to hear from a BYU fan that isn't pretending to be an Aggie fan. That has become a rarity on this board.

BlueNtheFace

Post by BlueNtheFace » November 19th, 2010, 3:07 pm

I'm not an Aggie hater. Maybe because I only lived in Utah to attend BYU and don't have that "either a Ute,Cougar, or Aggie" thing. I totally root for the Utes and Aggies in all their games. Good luck getting out of the WAC. I'm concerned.

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » November 19th, 2010, 3:12 pm

BlueNtheFace wrote:I'm not an Aggie hater. Maybe because I only lived in Utah to attend BYU and don't have that "either a Ute,Cougar, or Aggie" thing. I totally root for the Utes and Aggies in all their games. Good luck getting out of the WAC. I'm concerned.
I don't think you understood my comment, but thanks.

Locked Previous topicNext topic