USF game is a really good sign for this team

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
rAggie

USF game is a really good sign for this team

Post by rAggie » December 4th, 2022, 8:28 pm

Coming into this game USU led the country in 3PFG% (46.7 percent), was No. 2 in Assists/FGM (71.1 percent of field goals assisted).

Both those key elements of the Aggie offense were absent from the USF game with 11/31 field goals being assisted and the Aggies only shooting 26.3% from 3 -- and they still win by 18, on the road, against a decent team, with a starter out.

This is a really, really good sign for the resiliency of this team and the ability to win with different play styles -- certainly a factor that was absent last year when the team went ice cold from 3.
These users thanked the author rAggie for the post (total 15):
GidbobutaggiesAGinNEIowa3rdGenAggieAggie84025SpectrumMagicUSU78cdaAgflying_scotsman2.0bluegrouse and 5 more users

Showing my True Colors since 2022

Usu0505

Re: USF game is a really good sign for this team

Post by Usu0505 » December 4th, 2022, 8:30 pm

rAggie wrote:Coming into this game USU led the country in 3PFG% (46.7 percent), was No. 2 in Assists/FGM (71.1 percent of field goals assisted).

Both those key elements of the Aggie offense were absent from the USF game with 11/31 field goals being assisted and the Aggies only shooting 26.3% from 3 -- and they still win by 18, on the road, against a decent team, with a starter out.

This is a really, really good sign for the resiliency of this team and the ability to win with different play styles -- certainly a factor that was absent last year when the team went ice cold from 3.
Yep. Proved tonight they don’t have to have the 3 ball flowing to win. Imagine if it had been on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SLB

Post by SLB » December 4th, 2022, 8:34 pm

The refs took over the game and took Bairstow out when Bairstow was completely destroying USF. Great win by the team
Akin, Shulga, and Bairstow were the standouts in this game.
Bairstow 6/7 from the field with limited minutes from fouls
Akin 8/10 from the field 3/5 on FTs 4 rebounds 2 steals
Shulga 5/7 from the field 1/3 from 3 5/5 on FTs 6 rebounds 4 assists 2 steals
These users thanked the author SLB for the post (total 2):
IdaAg93aggies22

SLB

Post by SLB » December 4th, 2022, 8:36 pm

Usu0505 wrote:
December 4th, 2022, 8:30 pm
rAggie wrote:Coming into this game USU led the country in 3PFG% (46.7 percent), was No. 2 in Assists/FGM (71.1 percent of field goals assisted).

Yep. Proved tonight they don’t have to have the 3 ball flowing to win. Imagine if it had been on.

If the refs didn't go crazy and 3s were falling along with some other bad misses, we are talking 110 point game by us. I can't remember an offensive performance by the Aggies where we play a good team and thinking that we could have had 110 points in the game.
If we shot like our season % on 3s, we have 15 points more. 97
Bairstow had the largest by far in points per minute.
Last edited by SLB on December 4th, 2022, 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

scotlandog

Post by scotlandog » December 4th, 2022, 8:37 pm

Winning by this margin with Funk and Ashworth struggling through most of the game and Jones out was unthinkable. It really is amazing how the rest of the team picked up. Bairstow shows up for the second time this season. Shulga and Hamoda make timely contributions. Akin playing really really well. If Bairstow is back contributing and Jones gets back, this could be a really dangerous team. Really impressed with this win!

These users thanked the author scotlandog for the post (total 5):
utaggiesAggie84025bluegrouseaggies22aggieguy13

Usu0505

Post by Usu0505 » December 4th, 2022, 8:40 pm

SLB wrote:
Usu0505 wrote:

If the refs didn't go crazy and 3s were falling along with some other bad misses, we are talking 110 point game by us. I can't remember an offensive performance by the Aggies where we play a good team and thinking that we could have had 110 points in the game.
Agreed. Not all were necessarily bad calls but the refs changed gears big time. It was more the absence of fouls on SF all of a sudden that stood out to me.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » December 4th, 2022, 8:49 pm

You know what else is a good sign for the team? When we wear the new white unis. We’ve looked like world beaters every time we’ve worn them.

Throw the bacon necks in the garbage and order blue ones of these.

And yes, I believe in uniform curses.
These users thanked the author ineptimusprime for the post (total 4):
rAggieAggie84025aggies22aggieguy13

nswaggie

Post by nswaggie » December 4th, 2022, 8:57 pm

To me that was easily the best team we have played thus far. They ran some good stuff and had no quit. They had also scouted us well and executed a defensive game plan that should have worked but didn’t due to others stepping up. I kept thinking this game should be closer.
These users thanked the author nswaggie for the post (total 2):
aggies22IdaAg93

dirtnsnow

Post by dirtnsnow » December 4th, 2022, 9:10 pm

I was most impressed with the way they closed the game. USF got within 7, and last year's team would have wilted. This team wasn't having it and ran away with it.
These users thanked the author dirtnsnow for the post (total 5):
bluegrouseaggies22AGinNEIowaAggieFBObsessionIdaAg93

Aggies All the Way!

bluegrouse

Post by bluegrouse » December 4th, 2022, 9:11 pm

Usu0505 wrote:

Deadly mid-range game tonight, especially in the first half. And we got to the rim on them all night. Very good offensive performance inside the line tonight.
These users thanked the author bluegrouse for the post:
AGinNEIowa

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » December 4th, 2022, 9:18 pm

It’s gonna be super interesting to see how the Dons perform against UNM and UNLV over the next few weeks.
These users thanked the author ineptimusprime for the post (total 5):
nswaggieIdaAg93aggies22flying_scotsman2.0AggieFBObsession

scotlandog

Post by scotlandog » December 4th, 2022, 10:02 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:It’s gonna be super interesting to see how the Dons perform against UNM and UNLV over the next few weeks.
I think both UNM and UNLV are the real deal. I think they might also put up similar performances like we did tonight. I think USFs ranking is about right and I think ours is about right and we will see UNM and UNLV both climb up with us in the 40’s.

So far I think:
SDSU

USU, Boise, UNM, UNLV

Nevada, CSU, WYO
(WYO will move up with Ike)

SJSU, Air Force, Fresno
(I like seeing SJSU at 6-2 though)

This will be a very good conference and will be interesting to see how the NETs initial rankings value the teams.

These users thanked the author scotlandog for the post:
AggieFBObsession

SwaggieAggie

Post by SwaggieAggie » December 4th, 2022, 10:12 pm

dirtnsnow wrote:
December 4th, 2022, 9:10 pm
I was most impressed with the way they closed the game. USF got within 7, and last year's team would have wilted. This team wasn't having it and ran away with it.
My thoughts exactly. Last year’s team would’ve lost today, San Diego, and maybe even Oral Roberts.

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » December 4th, 2022, 10:19 pm

Really fun game tonight in a really fun venue. Glad I traveled to this one.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

These users thanked the author ProvoAggie for the post (total 2):
AGinNEIowaIdaAg93

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » December 4th, 2022, 10:35 pm

ProvoAggie wrote:
December 4th, 2022, 10:19 pm

I would imagine that in your hotel as well as around town, you are surrounded by people that are all sad about Jimmy Garoppolo being hurt today. And at the game, there was probably more sadness before the game started about Jimmy than there was during the basketball game about how it turned out.

SLB

Post by SLB » December 4th, 2022, 10:37 pm

Usu0505 wrote:
December 4th, 2022, 8:40 pm
SLB wrote:
Usu0505 wrote:

Agreed. Not all were necessarily bad calls but the refs changed gears big time. It was more the absence of fouls on SF all of a sudden that stood out to me.

I am not saying every call was a bad call, but the refs called 9 fouls and mystery TOs against us early the 2nd half. My favorite was the 6 step shuffle by USF player that the refs gave a 3 point play. USF traveled a lot with many no calls which kept bailing out USF when our defense got them many times over.

jpswensen

Post by jpswensen » December 5th, 2022, 11:54 am

ProvoAggie wrote:

From the camera, it looks like you probably had an entire front row to yourself. That may have been the lowest attended D1 game I have ever seen. Even on holiday the Spectrum is at least 25-33% full. That attendance was embarrassing.

My side projects:
Internet-connected Aggie A's: www.sports-iot.com
Physics and the Pinewood Derby: www.pinewoodphysics.com

LarryTheAggie

Post by LarryTheAggie » December 5th, 2022, 12:13 pm

jpswensen wrote:
December 5th, 2022, 11:54 am
ProvoAggie wrote:

From the camera, it looks like you probably had an entire front row to yourself. That may have been the lowest attended D1 game I have ever seen. Even on holiday the Spectrum is at least 25-33% full. That attendance was embarrassing.
I don't believe you. You are a faculty member at Washington state... actually on second thought, maybe I do believe you given that you conditioned you statement by saying lowest you have ever seen. And given how few people attend wsu games, it is very likely that you have never seen how empty the Beasley Coliseum can be.
These users thanked the author LarryTheAggie for the post:
QuackAttackAggie

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » December 5th, 2022, 12:15 pm

jpswensen wrote:
ProvoAggie wrote:

Unfortunately the front 7 rows were completely separated from the rest of the arena with a glass wall and you had to enter through a VIP entrance in the tunnel. They wanted over $200 for the tickets down there. We bought the $22 tickets instead and moved over to sit about 15 rows behind the USU bench. Definitelly a small crowd but not the smallest I've seen. Utah had an announced attendance of 2000 yesterday at Washington State but I'd be shocked if it were that high. Utah also only drew 6,500 fans for a home game this past week against #4 Arizona. If we had a top 10 team in the Spectrum it'd be a guaranteed sellout.
These users thanked the author ProvoAggie for the post (total 2):
LarryTheAggieIdaAg93

LarryTheAggie

Post by LarryTheAggie » December 5th, 2022, 12:18 pm

ProvoAggie wrote:
December 5th, 2022, 12:15 pm
jpswensen wrote:
ProvoAggie wrote:

Unfortunately the front 7 rows were completely separated from the rest of the arena with a glass wall and you had to enter through a VIP entrance in the tunnel. They wanted over $200 for the tickets down there. We bought the $22 tickets instead and moved over to sit about 15 rows behind the USU bench. Definitelly a small crowd but not the smallest I've seen. Utah had an announced attendance of 2000 yesterday at Washington State but I'd be shocked if it were that high. Utah also only drew 6,500 fans for a home game this past week against #4 Arizona. If we had a top 10 team in the Spectrum it'd be a guaranteed sellout.
:lol:
perfect timing with this. See my above post.
These users thanked the author LarryTheAggie for the post:
ProvoAggie

jpswensen

Post by jpswensen » December 5th, 2022, 12:46 pm

LarryTheAggie wrote:
December 5th, 2022, 12:13 pm
jpswensen wrote:
ProvoAggie wrote:

I don't believe you. You are a faculty member at Washington state... actually on second thought, maybe I do believe you given that you conditioned you statement by saying lowest you have ever seen. And given how few people attend wsu games, it is very likely that you have never seen how empty the Beasley Coliseum can be.
The only bball games we have gone to at WSU are during the Thanksgiving/Christmas breaks when they usually have a $5 deal. That being said, I think that the last 2-3 years there have probably been about 2,000 people in attendance for the games we have attended.
These users thanked the author jpswensen for the post:
LarryTheAggie

My side projects:
Internet-connected Aggie A's: www.sports-iot.com
Physics and the Pinewood Derby: www.pinewoodphysics.com

LarryTheAggie

Post by LarryTheAggie » December 5th, 2022, 1:24 pm

jpswensen wrote:
December 5th, 2022, 12:46 pm
LarryTheAggie wrote:
December 5th, 2022, 12:13 pm
jpswensen wrote:
ProvoAggie wrote:

The only bball games we have gone to at WSU are during the Thanksgiving/Christmas breaks when they usually have a $5 deal. That being said, I think that the last 2-3 years there have probably been about 2,000 people in attendance for the games we have attended.
In fairness, I did go to one a couple years ago that
did have 3000 people there. They played the #8 Oregon Ducks team, and still could online 26% of the arena.

IdaAg93

Post by IdaAg93 » December 5th, 2022, 9:01 pm

Found this gem. Good listen with lots of respect for USU.
These users thanked the author IdaAg93 for the post:
osuaggie

El Sapo

Post by El Sapo » December 6th, 2022, 10:31 am

Always a good sign when Bairstow is finishing with baskets around the rim. I thought he and Shulga had really good games. USF had active guards, they played good defense and were offensive threats. They were the ones keeping our 3 point game in check. I also noticed that Splashworth was more than up for the challenge he faced. He seemed to be a focus for them. He might have had fewer 3's, but he had a nice overall game. I think Jones would have been an asset against their guards defensively. As noted, the way the Aggies weathered the USF run late in the game says a lot about the team and the coaching

Really a fun team to watch.
These users thanked the author El Sapo for the post:
IdaAg93

Locked Previous topicNext topic