After giving it some thought...

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
SectionBAggie

After giving it some thought...

Post by SectionBAggie » December 2nd, 2022, 12:44 pm

I read that officials are tired of Rylan (and Steve for that matter) trying to draw charges. But in review, they are not very bright about "getting even" with them.
With the new Flop Technical rule, it would be easy for a ref who was caught up in being tired of their play to make a statement. Call a Flop T. If he really hated them, call it several times.
Yet, so far this season, USU has 1 "T" against Santa Clara (and I can't remember if it was for a flop or not.)
Opponents have 5.
So either the refs are 5 times as tired of the opposition flops or they don't know how to insert some control on the Aggie players that they are tired of.
It makes no sense (to me) for a ref to say "I am tired of him trying to draw a charge so I won't call one. But I surely am not going to assess a T in order to send a message."

I think there is often a dialog about how much refs think that is not very solidly based. (And I do believe that refs think. Just not about biases as much as some would imply.)

nswaggie

Re: After giving it some thought...

Post by nswaggie » December 2nd, 2022, 1:07 pm

SectionBAggie wrote:
December 2nd, 2022, 12:44 pm
I read that officials are tired of Rylan (and Steve for that matter) trying to draw charges. But in review, they are not very bright about "getting even" with them.
With the new Flop Technical rule, it would be easy for a ref who was caught up in being tired of their play to make a statement. Call a Flop T. If he really hated them, call it several times.
Yet, so far this season, USU has 1 "T" against Santa Clara (and I can't remember if it was for a flop or not.)
Opponents have 5.
So either the refs are 5 times as tired of the opposition flops or they don't know how to insert some control on the Aggie players that they are tired of.
It makes no sense (to me) for a ref to say "I am tired of him trying to draw a charge so I won't call one. But I surely am not going to assess a T in order to send a message."

I think there is often a dialog about how much refs think that is not very solidly based. (And I do believe that refs think. Just not about biases as much as some would imply.)
I think when opposing head coaches get in the ref’s ear about our guys flopping/ taking charges then the flop calls could be more frequent in any particular game. If I’m not mistaken Randy Bennett did that in the St. Mary’s game last year.

WAAggie

Re: After giving it some thought...

Post by WAAggie » December 2nd, 2022, 1:16 pm

Shulga's exaggerated head flopping will get him a flop call. His acting is not very subtle. Rylan is good at it and Ashworth can just be a pain in the butt with his pesky attitude. Opponents probably dislike him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author WAAggie for the post:
aggies22

Locked Previous topicNext topic