Bean and the Clippers

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
FloridaAggie13

Re: Bean and the Clippers

Post by FloridaAggie13 » July 15th, 2022, 11:24 am

aggies22 wrote:
July 15th, 2022, 11:12 am
FloridaAggie13 wrote:
July 15th, 2022, 7:55 am
bwcrc wrote:
July 14th, 2022, 7:53 pm
FloridaAggie13 wrote:
July 14th, 2022, 7:11 pm
In the NBA of the 80's and 90's, Bean would almost be a lock to stick as someone who could play tough defense, rebound, and not be an offensive liability.

Not sure if he fits today as everyone seems to want 6'9 guys who shoot from thirty feet. Defense and hard-nosed rebounding are afterthoughts. Then again, I haven't watched a full NBA game in half a decade so what do I know?
I'm not sure there has been a real NBA game in at least that long.

Man, I miss the era when Kevin McHale could clothesline Kurt Rambis and it was only called as a common foul. No technical, no ejection, no suspension for McHale. As much as I hated that that one play swung the series, it was a great era to watch the NBA. It was so fun to watch the tough defense and battling that took place all over the floor where the game didn't stop a couple of times every minute because of some pansy ticky-tack non-foul foul call from the defensive player puffing too hard and blowing over the offensive player 25 feet from the basket.

And if Bean played back in those days, I would expect him to play every bit as dirty as Danny Ainge with a similar innocent Mormon-boy look. (I would hate Bean only slightly less as much as Ainge if he also played for the Celtics. The USU tie would only be the only thing elevating him above Ainge due to Ainge's yBu status.)
I agree 100%. That wasn't considered dirty play either, it was gritty, hardnosed basketball. Ninety five percent of the players weren't going to make a lifetime's worth of money in two or three years so they had to fight and scratch to stay in the league as long as they could, knowing that losing meant getting replaced.

John Stockton talks about how much different it is today. Steph Curry dances around, weaving the ball between his legs and then shooting from thirty feet where no one is allowed to touch him, lest there be a foul called. In Stockton's day, the defender was hand-checking him (grabbing, holding) as soon as he crossed half-court.
And the 12-man roster was the 12-man roster. No 3 inactive dudes sitting at the end of the bench and sure as hell no G-League. Does anybody remember the Continental Basketball Association? Phil Jackson earned his stripes there as coach of the Albany Patroons. And NO I didn't have to Google that.
Oh yeah, the CBA! Players carrying their own gear, taping themselves before games. Two coaches, not a team of analysts. Guys fighting tooth and nail for that shot at the NBA. I didn't realize Jackson got his start in Albany, that's pretty cool and he'd have to really want it, to start in Albany :-)
These users thanked the author FloridaAggie13 for the post:
aggies22

cdaAg

Post by cdaAg » July 15th, 2022, 8:37 pm

bwcrc wrote:

Man, I miss the era when Kevin McHale could clothesline Kurt Rambis and it was only called as a common foul. No technical, no ejection, no suspension for McHale. As much as I hated that that one play swung the series, it was a great era to watch the NBA. It was so fun to watch the tough defense and battling that took place all over the floor where the game didn't stop a couple of times every minute because of some pansy ticky-tack non-foul foul call from the defensive player puffing too hard and blowing over the offensive player 25 feet from the basket.
Rambis hit the deck hard on that one and jumped right up looking to fight. There was a toughness that is severely lacking in the current era of NBA. Guys take a semblance of a hit and roll on the floor like a soccer player. The refs reward it.

Guys used to ride buses between cities for back-to-backs on road trips and play four games in five nights. Now it's the team plane and three days between playoff games, and players worry about getting enough rest. Load management is the norm. Owners and fans reward it
These users thanked the author cdaAg for the post (total 2):
aggies22FloridaAggie13

WAAggie

Post by WAAggie » July 15th, 2022, 11:12 pm

Watch some piston/ Boston games. Rough and tough. Loved watching that dirty little choir boy Stockton in the jazz hey days. Malone and Rodman got into it a bit. Everyone got into it with the worm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author WAAggie for the post (total 3):
aggies22FloridaAggie13cdaAg

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » July 16th, 2022, 8:04 am

cdaAg wrote:
July 15th, 2022, 8:37 pm
bwcrc wrote:

Rambis hit the deck hard on that one and jumped right up looking to fight. There was a toughness that is severely lacking in the current era of NBA. Guys take a semblance of a hit and roll on the floor like a soccer player. The refs reward it.

Guys used to ride buses between cities for back-to-backs on road trips and play four games in five nights. Now it's the team plane and three days between playoff games, and players worry about getting enough rest. Load management is the norm. Owners and fans reward it
Players today all vacation together and pray to get included into LeBrons inner circle. Back in the day guys from other teams wouldn't even live on the same street as each other.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post (total 3):
FloridaAggie13cdaAghipsterdoofus21

Dwigt
Pick'em Champ - '20,'21 Weekly; '21 WTHCG

Post by Dwigt » July 16th, 2022, 9:06 am

aggies22 wrote:
July 16th, 2022, 8:04 am
cdaAg wrote:
bwcrc wrote:

Players today all vacation together and pray to get included into LeBrons inner circle. Back in the day guys from other teams wouldn't even live on the same street as each other.
https://www.slamonline.com/the-magazine ... el-jordan/
These users thanked the author Dwigt for the post (total 2):
FloridaAggie13cdaAg

Presumptuous and ill-informed.

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » July 16th, 2022, 1:54 pm

cdaAg wrote:
bwcrc wrote:

Dan Patrick asked John Stockton about how he almost never missed a game in 19 years. Stockton said it wasn't fair to the fan who was paying all that money and taking time to go to the game, for him to take the night off.

That's awesome. Such a disconnect from today.
These users thanked the author FloridaAggie13 for the post (total 4):
cdaAgaggies22tjensen_25hipsterdoofus21

TheAKAggie
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY

Post by TheAKAggie » July 19th, 2022, 2:21 pm

aggies22 wrote:
FloridaAggie13 wrote:
bwcrc wrote:
FloridaAggie13 wrote:
In the NBA of the 80's and 90's, Bean would almost be a lock to stick as someone who could play tough defense, rebound, and not be an offensive liability.

Not sure if he fits today as everyone seems to want 6'9 guys who shoot from thirty feet. Defense and hard-nosed rebounding are afterthoughts. Then again, I haven't watched a full NBA game in half a decade so what do I know?

And if Bean played back in those days, I would expect him to play every bit as dirty as Danny Ainge with a similar innocent Mormon-boy look. (I would hate Bean only slightly less as much as Ainge if he also played for the Celtics. The USU tie would only be the only thing elevating him above Ainge due to Ainge's yBu status.)
I agree 100%. That wasn't considered dirty play either, it was gritty, hardnosed basketball. Ninety five percent of the players weren't going to make a lifetime's worth of money in two or three years so they had to fight and scratch to stay in the league as long as they could, knowing that losing meant getting replaced.

John Stockton talks about how much different it is today. Steph Curry dances around, weaving the ball between his legs and then shooting from thirty feet where no one is allowed to touch him, lest there be a foul called. In Stockton's day, the defender was hand-checking him (grabbing, holding) as soon as he crossed half-court.
And the 12-man roster was the 12-man roster. No 3 inactive dudes sitting at the end of the bench and sure as hell no G-League. Does anybody remember the Continental Basketball Association? Phil Jackson earned his stripes there as coach of the Albany Patroons. And NO I didn't have to Google that.
That’ss because you’re old!

These users thanked the author TheAKAggie for the post (total 2):
aggies22FloridaAggie13

Hail Aggies!

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » July 19th, 2022, 2:31 pm

TheAKAggie wrote:
July 19th, 2022, 2:21 pm
aggies22 wrote:
FloridaAggie13 wrote:
bwcrc wrote:
FloridaAggie13 wrote:

That’ss because you’re old!

Haha!! That and I was just as big a sports dork at 7 years old as I am now.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post:
FloridaAggie13

Locked Previous topicNext topic