Boise state and Ronnie Ross son

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
slcagg
Posts: 12089
Joined: December 15th, 2010, 6:29 pm
Has thanked: 3435 times
Been thanked: 2860 times

Boise state and Ronnie Ross son

Post by slcagg » June 28th, 2022, 7:27 pm

So Ronnie Ross’s son just visited Boise. Where are we?

And speaking of Boise they just had a rising 4 star senior guard with offers to some big time schools visit as well.

Not to mention a high 4 star commit in the most recent class. Somebody is doing something up there.

These users thanked the author slcagg for the post:
aggies22



User avatar
2004AG
Posts: 10671
Joined: November 16th, 2010, 11:42 am
Has thanked: 460 times
Been thanked: 1023 times

Re: Boise state and Ronnie Ross son

Post by 2004AG » June 28th, 2022, 7:48 pm

Motts fruit snacks huh.

Boise goes all out on these recruiting trips apparently.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author 2004AG for the post:
aggies22



slcagg
Posts: 12089
Joined: December 15th, 2010, 6:29 pm
Has thanked: 3435 times
Been thanked: 2860 times

Re: Boise state and Ronnie Ross son

Post by slcagg » June 28th, 2022, 8:27 pm

2004AG wrote:
June 28th, 2022, 7:48 pm
Motts fruit snacks huh.

Boise goes all out on these recruiting trips apparently.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I bet you wish you had a book about Leon rice waiting in your hotel room as well.



aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly
Posts: 15566
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:17 pm
Location: Smithfield, Utah
Has thanked: 15138 times
Been thanked: 9369 times
Contact:

Re: Boise state and Ronnie Ross son

Post by aggies22 » June 28th, 2022, 8:58 pm

slcagg wrote:
June 28th, 2022, 7:27 pm
So Ronnie Ross’s son just visited Boise. Where are we?

And speaking of Boise they just had a rising 4 star senior guard with offers to some big time schools visit as well.

Not to mention a high 4 star commit in the most recent class. Somebody is doing something up there.

Jordan has an offer from Utah State.



User avatar
flying_scotsman2.0
Posts: 2158
Joined: January 23rd, 2018, 12:29 pm
Location: The Mighty City-State of Roy, Utah
Has thanked: 2475 times
Been thanked: 1104 times

Re: Boise state and Ronnie Ross son

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » June 28th, 2022, 9:09 pm

When we are the conference champs we will start to recruit at that level too.



aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly
Posts: 15566
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:17 pm
Location: Smithfield, Utah
Has thanked: 15138 times
Been thanked: 9369 times
Contact:

Re: Boise state and Ronnie Ross son

Post by aggies22 » June 29th, 2022, 6:03 am

flying_scotsman2.0 wrote:
June 28th, 2022, 9:09 pm
When we are the conference champs we will start to recruit at that level too.
We've been the conference champs. Very recently in fact.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post (total 4):
MrBiggleaggieborncdaAgNowhereLandAggie



slcagg
Posts: 12089
Joined: December 15th, 2010, 6:29 pm
Has thanked: 3435 times
Been thanked: 2860 times

Re: Boise state and Ronnie Ross son

Post by slcagg » June 29th, 2022, 6:33 am

aggies22 wrote:
June 28th, 2022, 8:58 pm
slcagg wrote:
June 28th, 2022, 7:27 pm
So Ronnie Ross’s son just visited Boise. Where are we?

And speaking of Boise they just had a rising 4 star senior guard with offers to some big time schools visit as well.

Not to mention a high 4 star commit in the most recent class. Somebody is doing something up there.

Jordan has an offer from Utah State.
Any mutual interest? Certainly if Boise is in play you’d think he would be interested in the Aggies. I thought hr was a high p5 kid.



User avatar
2004AG
Posts: 10671
Joined: November 16th, 2010, 11:42 am
Has thanked: 460 times
Been thanked: 1023 times

Re: Boise state and Ronnie Ross son

Post by 2004AG » June 29th, 2022, 6:55 am

slcagg wrote:
June 29th, 2022, 6:33 am
aggies22 wrote:
June 28th, 2022, 8:58 pm
slcagg wrote:
June 28th, 2022, 7:27 pm
So Ronnie Ross’s son just visited Boise. Where are we?

And speaking of Boise they just had a rising 4 star senior guard with offers to some big time schools visit as well.

Not to mention a high 4 star commit in the most recent class. Somebody is doing something up there.

Jordan has an offer from Utah State.
Any mutual interest? Certainly if Boise is in play you’d think he would be interested in the Aggies. I thought hr was a high p5 kid.
At one point Ronnie had dreams of him being a high P5 like Kentucky, but maybe he's lowered his expectations by now.
These users thanked the author 2004AG for the post (total 2):
slcaggaggies22



aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly
Posts: 15566
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:17 pm
Location: Smithfield, Utah
Has thanked: 15138 times
Been thanked: 9369 times
Contact:

Re: Boise state and Ronnie Ross son

Post by aggies22 » June 29th, 2022, 7:15 am

slcagg wrote:
June 29th, 2022, 6:33 am
aggies22 wrote:
June 28th, 2022, 8:58 pm
slcagg wrote:
June 28th, 2022, 7:27 pm
So Ronnie Ross’s son just visited Boise. Where are we?

And speaking of Boise they just had a rising 4 star senior guard with offers to some big time schools visit as well.



Not to mention a high 4 star commit in the most recent class. Somebody is doing something up there.

Jordan has an offer from Utah State.
Any mutual interest? Certainly if Boise is in play you’d think he would be interested in the Aggies. I thought hr was a high p5 kid.
I've been led to believe that interest is being reciprocated by Ross.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post (total 3):
slcaggcdaAgAggiefan33



slcagg
Posts: 12089
Joined: December 15th, 2010, 6:29 pm
Has thanked: 3435 times
Been thanked: 2860 times

Re: Boise state and Ronnie Ross son

Post by slcagg » June 29th, 2022, 7:16 am

2004AG wrote:
June 29th, 2022, 6:55 am
slcagg wrote:
June 29th, 2022, 6:33 am
aggies22 wrote:
June 28th, 2022, 8:58 pm
slcagg wrote:
June 28th, 2022, 7:27 pm
So Ronnie Ross’s son just visited Boise. Where are we?

And speaking of Boise they just had a rising 4 star senior guard with offers to some big time schools visit as well.

Not to mention a high 4 star commit in the most recent class. Somebody is doing something up there.

Jordan has an offer from Utah State.
Any mutual interest? Certainly if Boise is in play you’d think he would be interested in the Aggies. I thought hr was a high p5 kid.
At one point Ronnie had dreams of him being a high P5 like Kentucky, but maybe he's lowered his expectations by now.
Our Utah county recruiting expert comes through again!



slcagg
Posts: 12089
Joined: December 15th, 2010, 6:29 pm
Has thanked: 3435 times
Been thanked: 2860 times

Re: Boise state and Ronnie Ross son

Post by slcagg » June 29th, 2022, 7:17 am

aggies22 wrote:
June 29th, 2022, 7:15 am
slcagg wrote:
June 29th, 2022, 6:33 am
aggies22 wrote:
June 28th, 2022, 8:58 pm
slcagg wrote:
June 28th, 2022, 7:27 pm
So Ronnie Ross’s son just visited Boise. Where are we?

And speaking of Boise they just had a rising 4 star senior guard with offers to some big time schools visit as well.



Not to mention a high 4 star commit in the most recent class. Somebody is doing something up there.

Jordan has an offer from Utah State.
Any mutual interest? Certainly if Boise is in play you’d think he would be interested in the Aggies. I thought hr was a high p5 kid.
I've been led to believe that interest is being reciprocated by Ross.
Great news, thanks 22!
These users thanked the author slcagg for the post:
aggies22



User avatar
treesap32
Moderator
Posts: 15867
Joined: July 28th, 2005, 1:00 am
Location: Washington D.C.
Has thanked: 567 times
Been thanked: 1503 times
Contact:

Re: Boise state and Ronnie Ross son

Post by treesap32 » June 29th, 2022, 8:25 am

2004AG wrote:
June 28th, 2022, 7:48 pm
Motts fruit snacks huh.

Boise goes all out on these recruiting trips apparently.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not only fruit snacks but a pack of goldfish crackers as well. If I didn't know any better I would've thought this was a preschooler visiting...
These users thanked the author treesap32 for the post (total 5):
ViAggieFloridaAggie13aggies22flying_scotsman2.0Real Life Aggie



User avatar
2004AG
Posts: 10671
Joined: November 16th, 2010, 11:42 am
Has thanked: 460 times
Been thanked: 1023 times

Re: Boise state and Ronnie Ross son

Post by 2004AG » June 29th, 2022, 8:50 am

treesap32 wrote:
2004AG wrote:
June 28th, 2022, 7:48 pm
Motts fruit snacks huh.

Boise goes all out on these recruiting trips apparently.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not only fruit snacks but a pack of goldfish crackers as well. If I didn't know any better I would've thought this was a preschooler visiting...
It feels like impermissible and excessive benefits. Maybe the NCAA needs to be made aware.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author 2004AG for the post (total 3):
ViAggieFloridaAggie13aggies22



User avatar
ThunderAggie
Posts: 1692
Joined: November 20th, 2017, 7:52 pm
Location: Logan
Has thanked: 417 times
Been thanked: 683 times

Re: Boise state and Ronnie Ross son

Post by ThunderAggie » June 29th, 2022, 10:01 am

2004AG wrote:
June 29th, 2022, 8:50 am
treesap32 wrote:
2004AG wrote:
June 28th, 2022, 7:48 pm
Motts fruit snacks huh.

Boise goes all out on these recruiting trips apparently.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not only fruit snacks but a pack of goldfish crackers as well. If I didn't know any better I would've thought this was a preschooler visiting...
It feels like impermissible and excessive benefits. Maybe the NCAA needs to be made aware.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
They trying to give him constipation? Looks like a lot of sugar on that bed. I do hope that’s what they feed their players though.
These users thanked the author ThunderAggie for the post (total 2):
ViAggieaggies22



User avatar
ViAggie
Posts: 20609
Joined: June 16th, 2011, 6:49 pm
Location: Temecula, California
Has thanked: 3306 times
Been thanked: 1567 times

Re: Boise state and Ronnie Ross son

Post by ViAggie » June 29th, 2022, 11:04 am

P5 swag bag would certainly have at least a Rolex and some condoms
These users thanked the author ViAggie for the post (total 3):
trevordudetreesap32Aggiefan33


Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

User avatar
flying_scotsman2.0
Posts: 2158
Joined: January 23rd, 2018, 12:29 pm
Location: The Mighty City-State of Roy, Utah
Has thanked: 2475 times
Been thanked: 1104 times

Re: Boise state and Ronnie Ross son

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » June 29th, 2022, 1:20 pm

aggies22 wrote:
June 29th, 2022, 6:03 am
flying_scotsman2.0 wrote:
June 28th, 2022, 9:09 pm
When we are the conference champs we will start to recruit at that level too.
We've been the conference champs. Very recently in fact.
So you’re saying we should be in play for some four star recruits just like Boise? But for some reason we’re not?



aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly
Posts: 15566
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:17 pm
Location: Smithfield, Utah
Has thanked: 15138 times
Been thanked: 9369 times
Contact:

Re: Boise state and Ronnie Ross son

Post by aggies22 » June 29th, 2022, 1:34 pm

flying_scotsman2.0 wrote:
June 29th, 2022, 1:20 pm
aggies22 wrote:
June 29th, 2022, 6:03 am
flying_scotsman2.0 wrote:
June 28th, 2022, 9:09 pm
When we are the conference champs we will start to recruit at that level too.
We've been the conference champs. Very recently in fact.
So you’re saying we should be in play for some four star recruits just like Boise? But for some reason we’re not?
I think so. The current staff has offered dudes that will be in high demand.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post:
flying_scotsman2.0



User avatar
flying_scotsman2.0
Posts: 2158
Joined: January 23rd, 2018, 12:29 pm
Location: The Mighty City-State of Roy, Utah
Has thanked: 2475 times
Been thanked: 1104 times

Re: Boise state and Ronnie Ross son

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » June 29th, 2022, 1:54 pm

aggies22 wrote:
June 29th, 2022, 1:34 pm
flying_scotsman2.0 wrote:
June 29th, 2022, 1:20 pm
aggies22 wrote:
June 29th, 2022, 6:03 am
flying_scotsman2.0 wrote:
June 28th, 2022, 9:09 pm
When we are the conference champs we will start to recruit at that level too.
We've been the conference champs. Very recently in fact.
So you’re saying we should be in play for some four star recruits just like Boise? But for some reason we’re not?
I think so. The current staff has offered dudes that will be in high demand.
So it was lazy-*** Craig dropping the ball on recruiting? I appreciate what he did here as much as anyone, but the man isn’t a recruiter.



User avatar
BigBlueDart
Pick'em Champ - '17 FB Predict the Score
Posts: 8867
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 7:57 am
Location: Syracuse, UT
Has thanked: 199 times
Been thanked: 811 times

Re: Boise state and Ronnie Ross son

Post by BigBlueDart » June 29th, 2022, 2:46 pm

When he visited Logan was his bed covered in Pepperidge Farms cookies and FatBoy ice cream sandwiches?
These users thanked the author BigBlueDart for the post (total 2):
trevordudeaggies22



trevordude
Posts: 1056
Joined: August 25th, 2012, 10:38 am
Has thanked: 709 times
Been thanked: 175 times

Re: Boise state and Ronnie Ross son

Post by trevordude » June 29th, 2022, 3:17 pm

BigBlueDart wrote:
June 29th, 2022, 2:46 pm
When he visited Logan was his bed covered in Pepperidge Farms cookies and FatBoy ice cream sandwiches?
And Gossners cheese curds
These users thanked the author trevordude for the post (total 2):
aggies22BigBlueDart


Not sent from Tapatalk

rAggie
Posts: 852
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 10:52 am
Location: Logan, UT
Has thanked: 64 times
Been thanked: 617 times
Contact:

Re: Boise state and Ronnie Ross son

Post by rAggie » June 29th, 2022, 3:18 pm

Some folks don't like to hear this but Duryea and staff could recruit. You look at who has contributed to wins over the last four years, they mostly can all be tied back to Duryea or before.

Sam? Stew.
Bean? Duryea.
Brock? Stew.
Queta? He came because of Brito, who was a Duryea recruit.
Koby? Would have stayed if Duryea hadn't been let go.

Odom brought his UMBC guys and Jonesy came up here (though you could argue if it weren't for Chris Jones having coached here under Stew/Duryea he'd have never considered USU)...

Duryea is a good recruiter. Don't know about the rest of the staff at Boise, but Duryea is good.
These users thanked the author rAggie for the post (total 2):
aggies22LarryTheAggie


Showing my True Colors since 2022

User avatar
2004AG
Posts: 10671
Joined: November 16th, 2010, 11:42 am
Has thanked: 460 times
Been thanked: 1023 times

Re: Boise state and Ronnie Ross son

Post by 2004AG » June 29th, 2022, 4:41 pm

rAggie wrote:Some folks don't like to hear this but Duryea and staff could recruit. You look at who has contributed to wins over the last four years, they mostly can all be tied back to Duryea or before.

Sam? Stew.
Bean? Duryea.
Brock? Stew.
Queta? He came because of Brito, who was a Duryea recruit.
Koby? Would have stayed if Duryea hadn't been let go.

Odom brought his UMBC guys and Jonesy came up here (though you could argue if it weren't for Chris Jones having coached here under Stew/Duryea he'd have never considered USU)...

Duryea is a good recruiter. Don't know about the rest of the staff at Boise, but Duryea is good.
That’s a real stretch to give him credit for Queta.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk



AggiePT
Posts: 367
Joined: August 7th, 2019, 1:41 pm
Has thanked: 938 times
Been thanked: 240 times

Re: Boise state and Ronnie Ross son

Post by AggiePT » June 29th, 2022, 5:10 pm

slcagg wrote:
June 28th, 2022, 7:27 pm
So Ronnie Ross’s son just visited Boise. Where are we?

And speaking of Boise they just had a rising 4 star senior guard with offers to some big time schools visit as well.

Not to mention a high 4 star commit in the most recent class. Somebody is doing something up there.

This looks just like when I forget that it is my wife’s birthday. When I finally realize my mistake, the only open stores are gas stations.



User avatar
Aggie in Boise
Posts: 2359
Joined: February 15th, 2019, 1:58 pm
Has thanked: 387 times
Been thanked: 427 times

Re: Boise state and Ronnie Ross son

Post by Aggie in Boise » June 29th, 2022, 6:58 pm

rAggie wrote:
June 29th, 2022, 3:18 pm
Some folks don't like to hear this but Duryea and staff could recruit. You look at who has contributed to wins over the last four years, they mostly can all be tied back to Duryea or before.

Sam? Stew.
Bean? Duryea.
Brock? Stew.
Queta? He came because of Brito, who was a Duryea recruit.
Koby? Would have stayed if Duryea hadn't been let go.

Odom brought his UMBC guys and Jonesy came up here (though you could argue if it weren't for Chris Jones having coached here under Stew/Duryea he'd have never considered USU)...

Duryea is a good recruiter. Don't know about the rest of the staff at Boise, but Duryea is good.
That's what Angie said too and I have no reason to doubt her. Duryea is an excellent assistant coach.


"I keep saying this to the Democratic Party. The reason why you're so toxic is because you've become the party of no common sense." Bill Maher

User avatar
Aggie in Boise
Posts: 2359
Joined: February 15th, 2019, 1:58 pm
Has thanked: 387 times
Been thanked: 427 times

Re: Boise state and Ronnie Ross son

Post by Aggie in Boise » June 29th, 2022, 7:07 pm

2004AG wrote:
June 29th, 2022, 4:41 pm
rAggie wrote:Some folks don't like to hear this but Duryea and staff could recruit. You look at who has contributed to wins over the last four years, they mostly can all be tied back to Duryea or before.

Sam? Stew.
Bean? Duryea.
Brock? Stew.
Queta? He came because of Brito, who was a Duryea recruit.
Koby? Would have stayed if Duryea hadn't been let go.

Odom brought his UMBC guys and Jonesy came up here (though you could argue if it weren't for Chris Jones having coached here under Stew/Duryea he'd have never considered USU)...

Duryea is a good recruiter. Don't know about the rest of the staff at Boise, but Duryea is good.
That’s a real stretch to give him credit for Queta.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Perhaps a minor stretch. I talked to Tanner Duryea and he said the same thing. I get that Tanner may be biased but it seems to add up. Tanner said Queta contacted Brito first and Brito took it from there. Without Brito it's likely Queta wouldn't have been an Aggie.
These users thanked the author Aggie in Boise for the post:
aggies22


"I keep saying this to the Democratic Party. The reason why you're so toxic is because you've become the party of no common sense." Bill Maher

bwcrc
Posts: 469
Joined: November 7th, 2013, 12:24 pm
Has thanked: 28 times
Been thanked: 283 times

Re: Boise state and Ronnie Ross son

Post by bwcrc » June 29th, 2022, 7:36 pm

rAggie wrote:
June 29th, 2022, 3:18 pm
Some folks don't like to hear this but Duryea and staff could recruit. You look at who has contributed to wins over the last four years, they mostly can all be tied back to Duryea or before.

Sam? Stew.
Bean? Duryea.
Brock? Stew.
Queta? He came because of Brito, who was a Duryea recruit.
Koby? Would have stayed if Duryea hadn't been let go.

Odom brought his UMBC guys and Jonesy came up here (though you could argue if it weren't for Chris Jones having coached here under Stew/Duryea he'd have never considered USU)...

Duryea is a good recruiter. Don't know about the rest of the staff at Boise, but Duryea is good.
The fact that Duryea could recruit I don't think should be up for much debate given what Smith did in his first year with primarily players Duryea recruited. Unfortunately, Duryea was too similar to Dennehy in that department. They were both decent recruiters but couldn't actually coach/develop the talent they brought in to save their jobs.
These users thanked the author bwcrc for the post:
aggies22



User avatar
OKAggie
Posts: 2828
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:32 am
Location: Tulsa, OK
Has thanked: 198 times
Been thanked: 600 times

Re: Boise state and Ronnie Ross son

Post by OKAggie » June 29th, 2022, 7:41 pm

Aggie in Boise wrote:
June 29th, 2022, 7:07 pm
2004AG wrote:
June 29th, 2022, 4:41 pm
rAggie wrote:Some folks don't like to hear this but Duryea and staff could recruit. You look at who has contributed to wins over the last four years, they mostly can all be tied back to Duryea or before.

Sam? Stew.
Bean? Duryea.
Brock? Stew.
Queta? He came because of Brito, who was a Duryea recruit.
Koby? Would have stayed if Duryea hadn't been let go.

Odom brought his UMBC guys and Jonesy came up here (though you could argue if it weren't for Chris Jones having coached here under Stew/Duryea he'd have never considered USU)...

Duryea is a good recruiter. Don't know about the rest of the staff at Boise, but Duryea is good.
That’s a real stretch to give him credit for Queta.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Perhaps a minor stretch. I talked to Tanner Duryea and he said the same thing. I get that Tanner may be biased but it seems to add up. Tanner said Queta contacted Brito first and Brito took it from there. Without Brito it's likely Queta wouldn't have been an Aggie.
Just a long way of saying Duryea had no role in recruiting Queta.

Also: Bean was a walk-on (and looking for a chance to play where there would be a decent LDS dating pool). Did Duryea really recruit him, or did Bean ask him for the opportunity? I don't know.

Also: Sam was an Aggie lifer, and I'm guessing we didn't have to recruit him that hard. If Duryea's greatest recruiting success was bringing in a player who had always wanted to be here, maybe his powers of persuasion are overrated.

Also: Koby came simultaneously with hiring Louis Wilson (a friend of his high school coach) as an assistant. Duryea's recruiting prowess, or just the result of a strategic hire?

In other words: if we hadn't hired Wilson, hadn't asked Sam to do what he always wanted to do, Bean wasn't LDS, and Queta wasn't Portuguese, then Duryea's recruiting acumen netted us Brock Miller and Brito. What am I overlooking?
These users thanked the author OKAggie for the post:
aggies22


Nobody here knows anything.

User avatar
Aggie in Boise
Posts: 2359
Joined: February 15th, 2019, 1:58 pm
Has thanked: 387 times
Been thanked: 427 times

Re: Boise state and Ronnie Ross son

Post by Aggie in Boise » June 29th, 2022, 9:02 pm

OKAggie wrote:
June 29th, 2022, 7:41 pm
Aggie in Boise wrote:
June 29th, 2022, 7:07 pm
2004AG wrote:
June 29th, 2022, 4:41 pm
rAggie wrote:Some folks don't like to hear this but Duryea and staff could recruit. You look at who has contributed to wins over the last four years, they mostly can all be tied back to Duryea or before.

Sam? Stew.
Bean? Duryea.
Brock? Stew.
Queta? He came because of Brito, who was a Duryea recruit.
Koby? Would have stayed if Duryea hadn't been let go.

Odom brought his UMBC guys and Jonesy came up here (though you could argue if it weren't for Chris Jones having coached here under Stew/Duryea he'd have never considered USU)...

Duryea is a good recruiter. Don't know about the rest of the staff at Boise, but Duryea is good.
That’s a real stretch to give him credit for Queta.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Perhaps a minor stretch. I talked to Tanner Duryea and he said the same thing. I get that Tanner may be biased but it seems to add up. Tanner said Queta contacted Brito first and Brito took it from there. Without Brito it's likely Queta wouldn't have been an Aggie.
Just a long way of saying Duryea had no role in recruiting Queta.

Also: Bean was a walk-on (and looking for a chance to play where there would be a decent LDS dating pool). Did Duryea really recruit him, or did Bean ask him for the opportunity? I don't know.

Also: Sam was an Aggie lifer, and I'm guessing we didn't have to recruit him that hard. If Duryea's greatest recruiting success was bringing in a player who had always wanted to be here, maybe his powers of persuasion are overrated.

Also: Koby came simultaneously with hiring Louis Wilson (a friend of his high school coach) as an assistant. Duryea's recruiting prowess, or just the result of a strategic hire?

In other words: if we hadn't hired Wilson, hadn't asked Sam to do what he always wanted to do, Bean wasn't LDS, and Queta wasn't Portuguese, then Duryea's recruiting acumen netted us Brock Miller and Brito. What am I overlooking?
I think you pretty much nailed it except for the part about Brock and Brito.

Perhaps we got Brock because he was LDS like Bean and looking for a decent LDS dating pool too? Perhaps Brito came because he knew that USU would have students/faculty that were fluent in speaking Portuguese?


"I keep saying this to the Democratic Party. The reason why you're so toxic is because you've become the party of no common sense." Bill Maher

User avatar
2004AG
Posts: 10671
Joined: November 16th, 2010, 11:42 am
Has thanked: 460 times
Been thanked: 1023 times

Re: Boise state and Ronnie Ross son

Post by 2004AG » June 29th, 2022, 9:13 pm

Aggie in Boise wrote:
2004AG wrote:
June 29th, 2022, 4:41 pm
rAggie wrote:Some folks don't like to hear this but Duryea and staff could recruit. You look at who has contributed to wins over the last four years, they mostly can all be tied back to Duryea or before.

Sam? Stew.
Bean? Duryea.
Brock? Stew.
Queta? He came because of Brito, who was a Duryea recruit.
Koby? Would have stayed if Duryea hadn't been let go.

Odom brought his UMBC guys and Jonesy came up here (though you could argue if it weren't for Chris Jones having coached here under Stew/Duryea he'd have never considered USU)...

Duryea is a good recruiter. Don't know about the rest of the staff at Boise, but Duryea is good.
That’s a real stretch to give him credit for Queta.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Perhaps a minor stretch. I talked to Tanner Duryea and he said the same thing. I get that Tanner may be biased but it seems to add up. Tanner said Queta contacted Brito first and Brito took it from there. Without Brito it's likely Queta wouldn't have been an Aggie.

Oh I’m sure Brito got us Queta. But TD had nothing to do with getting Queta.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author 2004AG for the post:
aggies22



spud
Posts: 32
Joined: December 1st, 2010, 8:06 pm
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 19 times

Re: Boise state and Ronnie Ross son

Post by spud » June 29th, 2022, 10:08 pm

I believe Spencer Nelson was the one who gets credit for Bean!
These users thanked the author spud for the post:
aggies22



Pacobag
Posts: 807
Joined: November 13th, 2010, 7:34 pm
Has thanked: 279 times
Been thanked: 164 times

Re: Boise state and Ronnie Ross son

Post by Pacobag » June 29th, 2022, 11:45 pm

We could credit many recruiting successes to where a player grew up, religious affiliation, whether their parents are alumni, or another connection (girlfriend, assistant coach, another player, jr college or AAU coaching connection, etc.).

A good coaching staff recognizes the opportunities, exploits those advantages, and doesn’t blow it.

Nate Harris, Tony Brown, Jalen Moore, and arguably Jared Quayle, Spencer Nelson, Gary Wilkinson, Jaycee Carroll, Sam Merrill, and others were “locals” given they grew up relatively close to Logan. Should we give zero credit to Stew for signing them?



User avatar
OKAggie
Posts: 2828
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:32 am
Location: Tulsa, OK
Has thanked: 198 times
Been thanked: 600 times

Re: Boise state and Ronnie Ross son

Post by OKAggie » June 30th, 2022, 7:42 am

Pacobag wrote:
June 29th, 2022, 11:45 pm
We could credit many recruiting successes to where a player grew up, religious affiliation, whether their parents are alumni, or another connection (girlfriend, assistant coach, another player, jr college or AAU coaching connection, etc.).

A good coaching staff recognizes the opportunities, exploits those advantages, and doesn’t blow it.

Nate Harris, Tony Brown, Jalen Moore, and arguably Jared Quayle, Spencer Nelson, Gary Wilkinson, Jaycee Carroll, Sam Merrill, and others were “locals” given they grew up relatively close to Logan. Should we give zero credit to Stew for signing them?
Fair points, although I was talking about Duryea, not Stew. But "didn't blow the easy ones" isn't the same as "is a good recruiter". To me a good recruiter is someone who can find someone who doesn't already have his own reasons to be here (the definition of "recruiting"), and keeping them here to make a difference. Bonus points if we beat somebody decent out for them (e.g. Tai Wesley).

Here's a list of Duryea's recruits (from my possibly-not-perfect review of signing press releases; feel free to add or correct me):

Shane Rector
Sam
Koby
Bean
Klay Stall
Brito
Norbert Janicek
Ngor Barnaba
Daron Henson
Crew Ainge
DeAngelo Isby
Dwayne Brown
Roche Grootfaam
Steven Ashworth

The circumstances of Sam's, Koby's and Bean's recruitment I've discussed -- you might think them the hallmarks of a good recruiter because you are kind and generous, whereas I am unkind and skeptical.

From the remaining 11 on the list, you'd have to give Duryea credit for Rector, Brito and Ashworth -- solid contributors. Maybe Dwayne Brown. The rest were misses.


Nobody here knows anything.

rAggie
Posts: 852
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 10:52 am
Location: Logan, UT
Has thanked: 64 times
Been thanked: 617 times
Contact:

Re: Boise state and Ronnie Ross son

Post by rAggie » June 30th, 2022, 9:30 am

I'm not saying Tim is the John Wooden of recruiting, just giving him credit where credit is due, and that includes the fair point that was brought up about assistants, i.e. Louis Wilson, Spencer, etc...

And this is all in the context of the thread which is Ronnie Ross' son up in Boise. I wonder to what extent Ronnie's love for Utah State is trumped by a love for the mentality cultivated by coaches in Stew's family. If he is more passionate about the latter, then hooking up his boy with Tim in Boise makes a tremendous amount of sense.

Ultimately, I hope Ronnie's son lands somewhere right for him and has a great experience. If that could end up being in Logan, all the better. I would love to see some more Aggie legacy players come through the program.
These users thanked the author rAggie for the post (total 2):
aggies22OKAggie


Showing my True Colors since 2022

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly
Posts: 15566
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:17 pm
Location: Smithfield, Utah
Has thanked: 15138 times
Been thanked: 9369 times
Contact:

Re: Boise state and Ronnie Ross son

Post by aggies22 » June 30th, 2022, 9:48 am

Jordan was also offered by Utah Valley in the last 12 hours.



aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly
Posts: 15566
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:17 pm
Location: Smithfield, Utah
Has thanked: 15138 times
Been thanked: 9369 times
Contact:

Re: Boise state and Ronnie Ross son

Post by aggies22 » June 30th, 2022, 9:57 am

OKAggie wrote:
June 30th, 2022, 7:42 am
Pacobag wrote:
June 29th, 2022, 11:45 pm
We could credit many recruiting successes to where a player grew up, religious affiliation, whether their parents are alumni, or another connection (girlfriend, assistant coach, another player, jr college or AAU coaching connection, etc.).

A good coaching staff recognizes the opportunities, exploits those advantages, and doesn’t blow it.

Nate Harris, Tony Brown, Jalen Moore, and arguably Jared Quayle, Spencer Nelson, Gary Wilkinson, Jaycee Carroll, Sam Merrill, and others were “locals” given they grew up relatively close to Logan. Should we give zero credit to Stew for signing them?
Fair points, although I was talking about Duryea, not Stew. But "didn't blow the easy ones" isn't the same as "is a good recruiter". To me a good recruiter is someone who can find someone who doesn't already have his own reasons to be here (the definition of "recruiting"), and keeping them here to make a difference. Bonus points if we beat somebody decent out for them (e.g. Tai Wesley).

Here's a list of Duryea's recruits (from my possibly-not-perfect review of signing press releases; feel free to add or correct me):

Shane Rector
Sam
Koby
Bean
Klay Stall
Brito
Norbert Janicek
Ngor Barnaba
Daron Henson
Crew Ainge
DeAngelo Isby
Dwayne Brown
Roche Grootfaam
Steven Ashworth

The circumstances of Sam's, Koby's and Bean's recruitment I've discussed -- you might think them the hallmarks of a good recruiter because you are kind and generous, whereas I am unkind and skeptical.

From the remaining 11 on the list, you'd have to give Duryea credit for Rector, Brito and Ashworth -- solid contributors. Maybe Dwayne Brown. The rest were misses.
I'm 100% sure Sam committed to Stew while Sam was a junior in high school. So, regardless of what angle someone is looking at it, Sam was NOT Duryea's guy.



Post Reply Previous topicNext topic