Boise state and Ronnie Ross son

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
dirtnsnow

Re: Boise state and Ronnie Ross son

Post by dirtnsnow » June 30th, 2022, 10:03 am

aggies22 wrote:
June 30th, 2022, 9:48 am
Jordan was also offered by Utah Valley in the last 12 hours.
Crap.
These users thanked the author dirtnsnow for the post (total 2):
aggies22FloridaAggie13

Aggies All the Way!

Pacobag

Post by Pacobag » June 30th, 2022, 1:37 pm

OKAggie wrote:
June 30th, 2022, 7:42 am
Pacobag wrote:
June 29th, 2022, 11:45 pm
We could credit many recruiting successes to where a player grew up, religious affiliation, whether their parents are alumni, or another connection (girlfriend, assistant coach, another player, jr college or AAU coaching connection, etc.).

A good coaching staff recognizes the opportunities, exploits those advantages, and doesn’t blow it.

Nate Harris, Tony Brown, Jalen Moore, and arguably Jared Quayle, Spencer Nelson, Gary Wilkinson, Jaycee Carroll, Sam Merrill, and others were “locals” given they grew up relatively close to Logan. Should we give zero credit to Stew for signing them?
Fair points, although I was talking about Duryea, not Stew. But "didn't blow the easy ones" isn't the same as "is a good recruiter". To me a good recruiter is someone who can find someone who doesn't already have his own reasons to be here (the definition of "recruiting"), and keeping them here to make a difference. Bonus points if we beat somebody decent out for them (e.g. Tai Wesley).

Here's a list of Duryea's recruits (from my possibly-not-perfect review of signing press releases; feel free to add or correct me):

Shane Rector
Sam
Koby
Bean
Klay Stall
Brito
Norbert Janicek
Ngor Barnaba
Daron Henson
Crew Ainge
DeAngelo Isby
Dwayne Brown
Roche Grootfaam
Steven Ashworth

The circumstances of Sam's, Koby's and Bean's recruitment I've discussed -- you might think them the hallmarks of a good recruiter because you are kind and generous, whereas I am unkind and skeptical.

From the remaining 11 on the list, you'd have to give Duryea credit for Rector, Brito and Ashworth -- solid contributors. Maybe Dwayne Brown. The rest were misses.
I like your examples of players that probably weren’t seriously considering USU prior to being contacted by the USU staff. I believe those types of signees are generally better indicators of a staff’s recruiting prowess.

In the overall thread, some seemed to dismiss almost any recruiting credit, in specific cases, because of factor X. I’m guessing every signee has a factor X. Brito (and maybe even Portuguese speaking Quinn Taylor) was a primary factor that helped us land Queta, but Peterson still went over seas and spent some notable effort getting Queta to buy in to USU. When recruits mention the coaching staff as being the primary reason for signing, that bodes well for the staff’s recruiting skills.
These users thanked the author Pacobag for the post:
OKAggie

flying_scotsman2.0

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » June 30th, 2022, 2:11 pm

aggies22 wrote:
June 30th, 2022, 9:48 am
Jordan was also offered by Utah Valley in the last 12 hours.
Dammit. He’s gone.

Can’t compete with the best team in Utah Valley.
These users thanked the author flying_scotsman2.0 for the post (total 2):
aggies22Real Life Aggie

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » June 30th, 2022, 2:17 pm

Pacobag wrote:
June 30th, 2022, 1:37 pm
OKAggie wrote:
Pacobag wrote:
We could credit many recruiting successes to where a player grew up, religious affiliation, whether their parents are alumni, or another connection (girlfriend, assistant coach, another player, jr college or AAU coaching connection, etc.).

A good coaching staff recognizes the opportunities, exploits those advantages, and doesn’t blow it.

Nate Harris, Tony Brown, Jalen Moore, and arguably Jared Quayle, Spencer Nelson, Gary Wilkinson, Jaycee Carroll, Sam Merrill, and others were “locals” given they grew up relatively close to Logan. Should we give zero credit to Stew for signing them?
Fair points, although I was talking about Duryea, not Stew. But "didn't blow the easy ones" isn't the same as "is a good recruiter". To me a good recruiter is someone who can find someone who doesn't already have his own reasons to be here (the definition of "recruiting"), and keeping them here to make a difference. Bonus points if we beat somebody decent out for them (e.g. Tai Wesley).

Here's a list of Duryea's recruits (from my possibly-not-perfect review of signing press releases; feel free to add or correct me):

Shane Rector
Sam
Koby
Bean
Klay Stall
Brito
Norbert Janicek
Ngor Barnaba
Daron Henson
Crew Ainge
DeAngelo Isby
Dwayne Brown
Roche Grootfaam
Steven Ashworth

The circumstances of Sam's, Koby's and Bean's recruitment I've discussed -- you might think them the hallmarks of a good recruiter because you are kind and generous, whereas I am unkind and skeptical.

From the remaining 11 on the list, you'd have to give Duryea credit for Rector, Brito and Ashworth -- solid contributors. Maybe Dwayne Brown. The rest were misses.
I like your examples of players that probably weren’t seriously considering USU prior to being contacted by the USU staff. I believe those types of signees are generally better indicators of a staff’s recruiting prowess.

In the overall thread, some seemed to dismiss almost any recruiting credit, in specific cases, because of factor X. I’m guessing every signee has a factor X. Brito (and maybe even Portuguese speaking Quinn Taylor) was a primary factor that helped us land Queta, but Peterson still went over seas and spent some notable effort getting Queta to buy in to USU. When recruits mention the coaching staff as being the primary reason for signing, that bodes well for the staff’s recruiting skills.
The only player dismissed as being a Duryea recruit is Queta. He can get credit for everyone else. TD had nothing to do with Queta.

rAggie

Post by rAggie » June 30th, 2022, 2:59 pm

2004AG wrote:
June 30th, 2022, 2:17 pm
Pacobag wrote:
OKAggie wrote:
Pacobag wrote:

Shane Rector
Sam
Koby
Bean
Klay Stall
Brito
Norbert Janicek
Ngor Barnaba
Daron Henson
Crew Ainge
DeAngelo Isby
Dwayne Brown
Roche Grootfaam
Steven Ashworth

The only player dismissed as being a Duryea recruit is Queta. He can get credit for everyone else. TD had nothing to do with Queta.
Brito got Queta. TD staff got Brito. (I argued that Queta was a Smith/Peterson recruit this last weekend to a Tim Duryea assistant who I golfed with and he shut me down furiously. Queta isn't here without Brito. Brito isn't here without TD. I'm giving TD staff credit for Queta by transitory property).

Showing my True Colors since 2022

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » June 30th, 2022, 3:02 pm

rAggie wrote:
2004AG wrote:
Pacobag wrote:
OKAggie wrote:
Pacobag wrote:

Shane Rector
Sam
Koby
Bean
Klay Stall
Brito
Norbert Janicek
Ngor Barnaba
Daron Henson
Crew Ainge
DeAngelo Isby
Dwayne Brown
Roche Grootfaam
Steven Ashworth

Brito got Queta. TD staff got Brito. (I argued that Queta was a Smith/Peterson recruit this last weekend to a Tim Duryea assistant who I golfed with and he shut me down furiously. Queta isn't here without Brito. Brito isn't here without TD. I'm giving TD staff credit for Queta by transitory property).
Right but TD didn’t “RECRUIT” Queta. He didn’t “CONVINCE” Queta to come here. He didnt “SELL” Queta on Utah State.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pacobag

Post by Pacobag » June 30th, 2022, 5:34 pm

2004AG wrote:
It was also mentioned that Koby came because of Wilson, Bean because of Spencer, Merrill because he was always an Aggie…

I think credit for signing Queta should go to Person X.

Person X hired an Athletic Director.
That Athletic Director got Stew to USU.
Stew got Duryea to USU.
Duryea got Brito to USU.
Brito got Queta to USU.

dirtnsnow

Post by dirtnsnow » June 30th, 2022, 6:59 pm

Pacobag wrote:
June 30th, 2022, 5:34 pm
2004AG wrote:
It was also mentioned that Koby came because of Wilson, Bean because of Spencer, Merrill because he was always an Aggie…

Stew got Duryea to USU.
Duryea got Brito to USU.
Brito got Queta to USU.
But who hired person x?
These users thanked the author dirtnsnow for the post:
Pacobag

Aggies All the Way!

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » June 30th, 2022, 8:14 pm

Pacobag wrote:
2004AG wrote:

Stew got Duryea to USU.
Duryea got Brito to USU.
Brito got Queta to USU.
Someone drove persons X and the AD to the interview.
Who hired the driver of both the cars?
These users thanked the author FloridaAggie13 for the post:
Pacobag

bwcrc

Post by bwcrc » July 1st, 2022, 7:21 am

FloridaAggie13 wrote:
June 30th, 2022, 8:14 pm
Pacobag wrote:
2004AG wrote:

Stew got Duryea to USU.
Duryea got Brito to USU.
Brito got Queta to USU.
Someone drove persons X and the AD to the interview.
Who hired the driver of both the cars?
But they were probably USU vehicles driven to the interview, which we all paid for with our tax dollars, so each of us are responsible for getting Queta here.
These users thanked the author bwcrc for the post:
aggies22

Real Life Aggie

Post by Real Life Aggie » July 1st, 2022, 3:45 pm

aggies22 wrote:
June 30th, 2022, 9:57 am
I'm 100% sure Sam committed to Stew while Sam was a junior in high school. So, regardless of what angle someone is looking at it, Sam was NOT Duryea's guy.
I'm okay with giving Stew the credit, but let's be honest: Sam Merrill came out of the womb as an Aggie.
These users thanked the author Real Life Aggie for the post (total 2):
aggies22FloridaAggie13

dirtnsnow

Post by dirtnsnow » July 1st, 2022, 3:57 pm

Real Life Aggie wrote:
July 1st, 2022, 3:45 pm
aggies22 wrote:
I'm 100% sure Sam committed to Stew while Sam was a junior in high school. So, regardless of what angle someone is looking at it, Sam was NOT Duryea's guy.
I'm okay with giving Stew the credit, but let's be honest: Sam Merrill came out of the womb as an Aggie.
But who recruited his parents?
These users thanked the author dirtnsnow for the post (total 3):
aggies22FloridaAggie13Real Life Aggie

Aggies All the Way!

BioAggie

Post by BioAggie » July 2nd, 2022, 4:05 pm

dirtnsnow wrote:
July 1st, 2022, 3:57 pm
Real Life Aggie wrote:
aggies22 wrote:

GOD, GOD made Sam an Aggie.
These users thanked the author BioAggie for the post (total 2):
aggies22Real Life Aggie

MalAgua

Post by MalAgua » July 2nd, 2022, 4:33 pm

BioAggie wrote:
July 2nd, 2022, 4:05 pm
dirtnsnow wrote:
July 1st, 2022, 3:57 pm
Real Life Aggie wrote:
aggies22 wrote:

GOD, GOD made Sam an Aggie.
Sam Merrill made God an Aggie.
These users thanked the author MalAgua for the post (total 3):
aggies22TurtleReal Life Aggie

Locked Previous topicNext topic