Mw is going to be very good again

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
slcagg

Post by slcagg » May 29th, 2022, 11:47 am

3 in the top 40

These users thanked the author slcagg for the post:
AggieArmy

utaggies

Re: Mw is going to be very good again

Post by utaggies » May 29th, 2022, 6:06 pm

Hold on just a dang nab second! I thought that given an extra season of development by our returning players (while apparently all other MWC teams were standing still) that we would be competitive, i.e., in the conference’s upper echelon, this coming year. This poll would suggest our ceiling is 4th place. This cannot be!

SwaggieAggie

Post by SwaggieAggie » May 31st, 2022, 12:27 pm

I know this has already been talked about a bunch on this board, but on paper our offseason was a bit disappointing. Especially seeing teams in our conference who were already a step above us get even better this offseason, while we just filled in holes for Horvath and Bean and not address really any of the issues that held us back.. Record wise, I imagine we'll be about the same as last year.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » May 31st, 2022, 2:06 pm

I think it's debatable tha tthe MW was actually "very good" last season.
We ended up with some good ratings and had a few good wins in OoC play.
We fell down collectively when it came to post-season play against bonafide teams.
Debate, dismiss, but that's facts.
I hope the MW does well enough to get three teams into the dance.
These users thanked the author brownjeans for the post (total 2):
aggies22Aglicious

SLB

Post by SLB » May 31st, 2022, 2:40 pm

It is interesting to look at the reactions. The truth is that we don’t really know how things will play out. There is no question that we did about as good of a job addressing the 4 and 5 spots. Last season, we had 2 4s and no 5s which caused all sorts of issues. Guards like Zee and Shulga showed potential of being very good, but they were too young and early in development last season. Zee’s speed and length and Shulga’s physical play and high shooting % might solve a lot of issues from last season on the outside.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » June 1st, 2022, 12:23 am

It brings me no pleasure to say this, but I am quite confident this year’s team will be the worst Aggie basketball team in recent memory. I think we win 10 games. There just isn’t much on the roster to be excited about.

Would love to pound some crow on this, but don’t think I will have to.

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » June 1st, 2022, 6:54 am

ineptimusprime wrote:
June 1st, 2022, 12:23 am
It brings me no pleasure to say this, but I am quite confident this year’s team will be the worst Aggie basketball team in recent memory. I think we win 10 games. There just isn’t much on the roster to be excited about.

10 games? C'mon now my Aggie brother.

LarryTheAggie

Post by LarryTheAggie » June 1st, 2022, 7:40 am

ineptimusprime wrote:

May I present for your consideration...

https://utahstateaggies.com/sports/mens ... er/2015-16

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » June 1st, 2022, 8:42 am

ineptimusprime wrote:

I'll have your crow ready for you mid way through the season. No way we win 10 games or less.
These users thanked the author treesap32 for the post (total 2):
BustaMcNuttSLB

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » June 1st, 2022, 9:16 am

ineptimusprime wrote:

SeldomSeenSmith

Post by SeldomSeenSmith » June 1st, 2022, 2:58 pm

Does "good again" mean like last year when the MW wasn't very good, or "good again" like when it was actually good?

Next year's Aggie team looks to be one of the most bland, least exciting teams in the past 15 years and I don't see them doing any better than last year unless the MWC implodes. I wonder what Odom will do when all of his ex UMBC players have used up their eligiblity and he has to do some real recruiting?
These users thanked the author SeldomSeenSmith for the post:
2004AG

slcagg

Post by slcagg » June 1st, 2022, 3:21 pm

SeldomSeenSmith wrote:
June 1st, 2022, 2:58 pm
Does "good again" mean like last year when the MW wasn't very good, or "good again" like when it was actually good?

Next year's Aggie team looks to be one of the most bland, least exciting teams in the past 15 years and I don't see them doing any better than last year unless the MWC implodes. I wonder what Odom will do when all of his ex UMBC players have used up their eligiblity and he has to do some real recruiting?
You don’t find a 17 ppg guy from the a10 as a solid addition?

What about a former top 100 recruit who still has 3 years left?

I understand your frustrations and wish a few guys on the team would have looked to play elsewhere.

But the guys odom signed this class shows me he can recruit.

SLB

Post by SLB » June 1st, 2022, 3:44 pm

slcagg wrote:
June 1st, 2022, 3:21 pm
SeldomSeenSmith wrote:

I understand your frustrations and wish a few guys on the team would have looked to play elsewhere.

We got Funk, Akin, Issac Johnson, and Cade Potter for the forward positions. Bairstow, Zee, and Shulga at the wing position
At point Ashworth and Jones
At the 2 spot Shulga, RJ, and MF

IBleedAggieBlue

Post by IBleedAggieBlue » June 1st, 2022, 6:30 pm

I'm so impressed by the depth and strength of the MWC. The way it battles and beats up on itself through a long tough season. Only to go 0-4 in the NCAA tournament. Way to go MWC!!

Go Aggies!!

Blitz79

Post by Blitz79 » June 1st, 2022, 8:18 pm

I would take another year with 4 teams in the tournament. I expect 2 though.

Normally I'm close to ineptimus on my level of optimism. But we are doing much better than 10 wins.

I will say this though, this year we will find out how good of a coach Odom is.

Give me another month for the last puzzle pieces to be in place and I'll give a prediction. CSU losing Roddy is tough for them.

Jjoey52

Post by Jjoey52 » June 1st, 2022, 8:31 pm

Doesn’t matter how many teams from MW get it. All the ones that get in lose. I just want to see a couple wins by MW teams.

“Apathy and tolerance are the final virtues of a dying society.” - Aristotle

slcagg

Post by slcagg » June 1st, 2022, 8:34 pm

Blitz79 wrote:
June 1st, 2022, 8:18 pm
I would take another year with 4 teams in the tournament. I expect 2 though.

Normally I'm close to ineptimus on my level of optimism. But we are doing much better than 10 wins.

I will say this though, this year we will find out how good of a coach Odom is.

Give me another month for the last puzzle pieces to be in place and I'll give a prediction. CSU losing Roddy is tough for them.
Csu takes a step back imo. They’ve lost a lot. It’s Wyoming and sdsu. Then maybe New Mexico. Then about 4-5 teams. Which would be csu, bsu, unlv and maybe us. But I might be biased.

USUaggienation

Post by USUaggienation » June 3rd, 2022, 1:25 pm

I’m completely open to eating crow but, sadly, I count myself among the negative crowd on this one. 10 wins sounds pretty low but I don’t know if we’ll be much above .500.

But everyone prepare that crow for me. I’d love to be wrong on this one.

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » June 3rd, 2022, 3:07 pm

USUaggienation wrote:
June 3rd, 2022, 1:25 pm
I’m completely open to eating crow but, sadly, I count myself among the negative crowd on this one. 10 wins sounds pretty low but I don’t know if we’ll be much above .500.

But everyone prepare that crow for me. I’d love to be wrong on this one.
These users thanked the author treesap32 for the post:
USUaggienation

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » June 3rd, 2022, 9:28 pm

slcagg wrote:
SeldomSeenSmith wrote:

Taylor Funk was a fantastic addition, but he averaged 13.2 points last season on a really bad team. As good as an add that he was, I don’t think he’ll be better than Bean or Horvath were this year.

The other two additions will be role players at best. We had plenty of role players already.

One of my life’s greatest frustrations is Ryan Odom not doing the things I think he should. I mean, of course I know better, right?
These users thanked the author ineptimusprime for the post:
Kevincurtisforlife

slcagg

Post by slcagg » June 3rd, 2022, 9:38 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:
June 3rd, 2022, 9:28 pm
slcagg wrote:
SeldomSeenSmith wrote:

Taylor Funk was a fantastic addition, but he averaged 13.2 points last season on a really bad team. As good as an add that he was, I don’t think he’ll be better than Bean or Horvath were this year.

The other two additions will be role players at best. We had plenty of role players already.

One of my life’s greatest frustrations is Ryan Odom not doing the things I think he should. I mean, of course I know better, right?
He averaged 17 the prior year.

And yea you certainly know better!

AGGIEinIOWA

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » June 4th, 2022, 12:59 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:
slcagg wrote:
SeldomSeenSmith wrote:

I think Funk can match or surpass Horvath’s output. Bairstow should get his opportunity this year will be much more than a role player. Rylan played at a high level for the first 10 games before his injury set him back. Either he or Ashworth will step up and be the third head. Our role players are further along than last year and I really like the Akin add. I’m not saying we’ll be top 3 but I think we’ll be plenty competitive and surprise some folks.
These users thanked the author AGGIEinIOWA for the post (total 2):
slcaggcval

scotlandog

Post by scotlandog » June 5th, 2022, 3:06 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:
slcagg wrote:
SeldomSeenSmith wrote:

I really liked Horvath and he had a lot of really good things he brought to the game. But I really believe, his horrendous FT shooting was a major cause for us losing close games last season.

Down the stretch of games, he was fouled a lot. When he misses the front end of a 1&1, that is a TO, if they are going 2pts per possession and we are getting 1 if we are lucky with him shooting FTs, then we are losing the lead we had built up or dropping further behind.

I know if I was a coach, my strategy would be to overplay the ball, forcing it to Horvath, and play really aggressively. Maybe we get a steal or a foul, either one is a TO and we have the ball again.

So if Funk can hit FTs and only score 13pts/game he will at least be as good as a contributor as Horvath. I believe he will actually have higher than 13pts and won’t have as many weaknesses.

I think Horvaths def in the post is another contributor for while we lost close games. He wasn’t strong enough or played big enough to stop post players. I think Funk really replaces Bean and we use Akin in the post with Johnson as the backup. With that, we shore up defense in the post and I like Akins offense.

I think overall, we may be a better team than we were last year. I loved Bean and Horvath but I think our team last year didn’t have a real identity on offense. We wanted Bean to be the go to guy while at the same time tried to have him be the guy he was before, floating without the ball while the focus was somewhere else. We couldn’t have both and stalled out many times. I think with Bean gone and new recruits coming in that Odem has brought in for his system, we will have a better identity and be better overall. 10 games is laughable for the season. 10 games in conference is more realistic and sitting around the 4-5 spot in conference.

We are still missing a guard that can create for himself, though Bairstow and Hamoda might be able to pick up the slack there depending on how hard they work on the off-season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author scotlandog for the post (total 2):
slcaggUSU78

slcagg

Post by slcagg » June 5th, 2022, 4:43 pm

scotlandog wrote:
June 5th, 2022, 3:06 pm
ineptimusprime wrote:
slcagg wrote:
SeldomSeenSmith wrote:

I really liked Horvath and he had a lot of really good things he brought to the game. But I really believe, his horrendous FT shooting was a major cause for us losing close games last season.

Down the stretch of games, he was fouled a lot. When he misses the front end of a 1&1, that is a TO, if they are going 2pts per possession and we are getting 1 if we are lucky with him shooting FTs, then we are losing the lead we had built up or dropping further behind.

I know if I was a coach, my strategy would be to overplay the ball, forcing it to Horvath, and play really aggressively. Maybe we get a steal or a foul, either one is a TO and we have the ball again.

So if Funk can hit FTs and only score 13pts/game he will at least be as good as a contributor as Horvath. I believe he will actually have higher than 13pts and won’t have as many weaknesses.

I think Horvaths def in the post is another contributor for while we lost close games. He wasn’t strong enough or played big enough to stop post players. I think Funk really replaces Bean and we use Akin in the post with Johnson as the backup. With that, we shore up defense in the post and I like Akins offense.

I think overall, we may be a better team than we were last year. I loved Bean and Horvath but I think our team last year didn’t have a real identity on offense. We wanted Bean to be the go to guy while at the same time tried to have him be the guy he was before, floating without the ball while the focus was somewhere else. We couldn’t have both and stalled out many times. I think with Bean gone and new recruits coming in that Odem has brought in for his system, we will have a better identity and be better overall. 10 games is laughable for the season. 10 games in conference is more realistic and sitting around the 4-5 spot in conference.

We are still missing a guard that can create for himself, though Bairstow and Hamoda might be able to pick up the slack there depending on how hard they work on the off-season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I love horvath but for the reasons you explained I’m excited to have more true centers this year.

utaggies

Post by utaggies » June 5th, 2022, 6:10 pm

AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
June 4th, 2022, 12:59 pm
ineptimusprime wrote:
slcagg wrote:
SeldomSeenSmith wrote:

I think Funk can match or surpass Horvath’s output. Bairstow should get his opportunity this year will be much more than a role player. Rylan played at a high level for the first 10 games before his injury set him back. Either he or Ashworth will step up and be the third head. Our role players are further along than last year and I really like the Akin add. I’m not saying we’ll be top 3 but I think we’ll be plenty competitive and surprise some folks.
Yes, I am trying to prepare myself for the surprise. ;)
These users thanked the author utaggies for the post:
FloridaAggie13

nvspuds

Post by nvspuds » June 5th, 2022, 9:32 pm

There has been a lot of changes on the rosters. It is hard to say too much yet..SDSU looks great so far..Wyoming as well..

CSU and BSU have lost top players.

NM and UNLV look to be comers..

I think you guys should be solid.

I like the way Nevada has retooled..How that plays out is unknown at this point though.

Fresno, AFA and SJSU..who knows

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » June 6th, 2022, 7:40 am

I'm just interested to see if this coming year's team comes together. I own that I have been rather harsh this offseason. Now it is time to see if Odom can coach his chosen team.

Locked Previous topicNext topic