Favorite individual Aggie performance you saw in person

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Favorite individual Aggie performance you saw in person

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » May 28th, 2022, 2:38 pm

So many to choose from, but the Jaycee Carroll 44 pt game against NMSU in 2007 stands out. 44 points on just 16 shots. He was 12 of 16, 5 of 7 from 3 and 15 of 15 from the line. He also led the game in rebounding with 10. NMSU was a tourney bound team and it was probably the weakest USU team of the 00's. Chaz Spicer had an ok game, but otherwise USU shot 3 of 19. Jaycee put the team on his back and carried them to a win a 75-63 win against a more talented opponent.
These users thanked the author Aggie formerly in Hawaii for the post (total 4):
cdaAgFloridaAggie13aggies22JSHarvey

Aggie84025

Re: Favorite individual Aggie performance you saw in person

Post by Aggie84025 » May 28th, 2022, 3:15 pm

For me it was the 2020 conference tournament performance from Sam. The championship game performance was one for the ages. Is his performance against NM was awesome as well.
These users thanked the author Aggie84025 for the post (total 6):
Aggie formerly in HawaiicdaAgFloridaAggie13aggies22MadmartiganGreenAg

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » May 28th, 2022, 3:57 pm

Aggie84025 wrote:
May 28th, 2022, 3:15 pm
For me it was the 2020 conference tournament performance from Sam. The championship game performance was one for the ages. Is his performance against NM was awesome as well.
Yeah definitely jealous of you and others that were there.

trevordude

Post by trevordude » May 28th, 2022, 4:02 pm

Steven Ashworth for about 10 minutes can Oregon
These users thanked the author trevordude for the post:
Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Not sent from Tapatalk

aggiesdidwhat

Post by aggiesdidwhat » May 28th, 2022, 10:06 pm

Sam M against NM in my first ever MW tourney live. I missed the championship game with major migraine, was devastated after I realized what I missed. But so happy. Then it was all ruined by covid!
These users thanked the author aggiesdidwhat for the post (total 5):
USU78Aggie formerly in HawaiicdaAgFloridaAggie13aggies22

ereksonaggie

Post by ereksonaggie » May 28th, 2022, 10:45 pm

Kendall Youngblood scored 39(?) on a really good UNLV team, at home in 1991(?). Seeing Youngblood score, at will, against a nationally ranked team was awesome. I think that was the game that hooked me on Aggie basketball.
These users thanked the author ereksonaggie for the post (total 5):
Aggie formerly in HawaiicdaAgAggie84025aggies22IdaAg93

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » May 28th, 2022, 11:43 pm

Altie Taylor utterly outclassing Mercury Morris and West Texas State in about 1967 after Morris made the cover of Sports Illustrated a week or so earlier.

Just magical.
These users thanked the author USU78 for the post (total 5):
Aggie formerly in HawaiicdaAgFloridaAggie13aggies22vegasaggie

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

troutputz
RIP

Post by troutputz » May 29th, 2022, 12:32 am

Mine would be Shaler Halimon in Provo against BYU . Shaler went off for 47 points! Talk about racist. I was there with my pop. I was 14 and have never forgot it. The fans in Provo were calling Shaler every racist name you can think of. Heck, in the stands above the basket a kid spit at Shaler when he was shooting a free throw. Little did the Turd BYU fans know that they were just making Shaler play harder. Shaler single handedly beat the y. It’s the greats individual performane I have ever seen, and remember I saw Estes’s last game in Logan when he scored 48! It’s just that Shaler had guys draped all over him when he was shooting. I have seen bits of that tape, but would love to have the whole tape! I think Ladell used that tape to teach how to play one on one basketball. Nate Williams had a great game against the y in Logan in about 1970. Nate scored the last basket to win the game by 1. It was a 35 footer! Man I’ve seen some great games withe Ags in my life. I’ve been truly blessed!
These users thanked the author troutputz for the post (total 8):
Aggie formerly in HawaiicdaAgFloridaAggie13osuaggieaggies22JSHarveyReal Life Aggievegasaggie

bwcrc

Post by bwcrc » May 29th, 2022, 7:53 am

Troy Rolle's posterizing dunk over Hordemann in the Spectrum against Boise in March 2000. USU was unbeaten in conference coming into the game and the Spectrum was packed for the final home game of the year. USU came out flat to start, allowing Boise to stay close. The fans were likewise a little flat and there was a building sense that the perfect conference season could slip away.

I don't remember when during the first half, but it couldn't have been more than halfway through when Rolle stole the ball and went in for the dunk on the left side over Hordemann, getting the foul to boot. Completely brought the fans into the game and turned the game around. USU cruised to a 74-62 victory to complete the unbeaten regular conference season at 16-0 and swept through the Big West Tournament.
These users thanked the author bwcrc for the post (total 7):
Aggie formerly in HawaiicdaAgAggie84025USUGrad01aggies22SpectrumMagicvegasaggie

AngusAg

Post by AngusAg » May 29th, 2022, 4:56 pm

Tony Adams 500+yard game to beat Utah

Greg Grant's steal from Avrian Parrish from behind to beat BYU, not just the steal, GG was the most savvy player I've seen at USU

Corwin Woodard court- length drive to beat UNLV for the first time, I believe

Kendall Youngblood's single-handed effort to almost beat a ranked UNLV team

- are four that come to mind. There were several more.
Last edited by AngusAg on May 29th, 2022, 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author AngusAg for the post (total 4):

Aggie75

Post by Aggie75 » May 29th, 2022, 5:16 pm

January 1971 Nate Williams' bucket at the buzzer in the Spectrum to beat BYU. After that game I was all in.
These users thanked the author Aggie75 for the post (total 4):

USUGrad01

Post by USUGrad01 » May 31st, 2022, 7:55 am

bwcrc wrote:
May 29th, 2022, 7:53 am
Troy Rolle's posterizing dunk over Hordemann in the Spectrum against Boise in March 2000. USU was unbeaten in conference coming into the game and the Spectrum was packed for the final home game of the year. USU came out flat to start, allowing Boise to stay close. The fans were likewise a little flat and there was a building sense that the perfect conference season could slip away.

I don't remember when during the first half, but it couldn't have been more than halfway through when Rolle stole the ball and went in for the dunk on the left side over Hordemann, getting the foul to boot. Completely brought the fans into the game and turned the game around. USU cruised to a 74-62 victory to complete the unbeaten regular conference season at 16-0 and swept through the Big West Tournament.
Absolutely my favorite moment in the Spectrum as well. I thought the roof was going to blow off when he jammed that ball.
These users thanked the author USUGrad01 for the post (total 3):
aggies22JSHarveySpectrumMagic

Aggiefan160

Post by Aggiefan160 » May 31st, 2022, 8:17 am

Departs from the topic a bit, but one of my favorite stretches of a game I saw was the Brady Jardine/Stavon Williams run against Nevada in the Spectrum.

Jaycee's 44 point game was pretty amazing from an individual performance.
Last edited by Aggiefan160 on May 31st, 2022, 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author Aggiefan160 for the post (total 2):
aggies22ereksonaggie

tipitup
Pick'em Champ - '18 WTHCG

Post by tipitup » May 31st, 2022, 9:19 am

bwcrc wrote:

These users thanked the author tipitup for the post (total 5):
bwcrcaggies22JSHarveyFloridaAggie13SpectrumMagic

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » May 31st, 2022, 9:48 am

Aggiefan160 wrote:
May 31st, 2022, 8:17 am
Departs from the topic a bit, but one of my favorite stretches of a game I saw was the Brady Jardine/Stavon Williams run against #9 Nevada in the Spectrum.

Great win, but that Nevada team wasn't ranked in the top 10. Aggies beat top 10 Nevada twice in 2007 before Jardine came in.

Aggiefan160

Post by Aggiefan160 » May 31st, 2022, 1:10 pm

Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
May 31st, 2022, 9:48 am
Aggiefan160 wrote:
May 31st, 2022, 8:17 am
Departs from the topic a bit, but one of my favorite stretches of a game I saw was the Brady Jardine/Stavon Williams run against #9 Nevada in the Spectrum.

Great win, but that Nevada team wasn't ranked in the top 10. Aggies beat top 10 Nevada twice in 2007 before Jardine came in.
You're correct. I was at both the 2007 and the 2009 games and I must have merged them together.
These users thanked the author Aggiefan160 for the post:
Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Madmartigan

Post by Madmartigan » May 31st, 2022, 1:23 pm

Since I was at "The Game" against SDSU in Vegas just before the world came to an end... this is the only right answer for me.
These users thanked the author Madmartigan for the post (total 3):
aggies22ProvoAggieslcagg

IdaAg93

Post by IdaAg93 » May 31st, 2022, 3:12 pm

ereksonaggie wrote:
May 28th, 2022, 10:45 pm
Kendall Youngblood scored 39(?) on a really good UNLV team, at home in 1991(?). Seeing Youngblood score, at will, against a nationally ranked team was awesome. I think that was the game that hooked me on Aggie basketball.
This.
Has to be my favorite one too.
Second best, Sam M in the MW championship game agains SDSU.
Jaycee C all-time scorer leader was a cool night too.
These users thanked the author IdaAg93 for the post:
aggies22

Ag4life
Has thanked: 0

Post by Ag4life » June 1st, 2022, 9:13 pm

tipitup wrote:
May 31st, 2022, 9:19 am

I remember this moment clearly as a young boy. I was up behind the Aggie bench witnessing Rolle deciding to just go straight over the guy. It's the best in-game dunk I've seen live. I didn't get to see Jardine's dunk in person but those would easily be my top Aggie dunks.
These users thanked the author Ag4life for the post (total 2):
Kevincurtisforlifeaggies22

troutputz
RIP

Post by troutputz » June 2nd, 2022, 3:03 am

I remember Greg Grants steal. It was right in front of me. I thought we had lost this game to the y, but Greg had other ideas. Folks, you do know that Greg never lost to BYU! Plus, we played them two times each year back then. Greg only lost to Utah once.
Greg had really long arms so he was able to steal the ball away a lot of games. By the by, I can’t go without mentioning that Greg Grant is my 2nd cousin. His great great grandpa and my great great grandpa were one in the same, David Grant. It was thru polygamy. I come from the first wife of David. Greg’s line is thru the 2nd wife. This was very important years ago, if you were from the first wife, you had more blue blood so to speak. My mom when talking to relatives would always say, yes, “but we came thru the first wife” !
These users thanked the author troutputz for the post:
FloridaAggie13

Ganderag
Has thanked: 0

Post by Ganderag » June 2nd, 2022, 10:07 am

Greg Grants steal was perfectly timed. He grabbed the ball so carefully, with both hands, from the opposing player, that the official could easily see there was no foul. I too was in the spectrum sitting on the opposite side of Trout, in the same seats we still occupy today. In those next moments, the decibel level in that arena became so high, it was one of only three times, all in the spectrum, that my ears went into that silent mode, where your brain can't comprehend the noise level. I am not sure how I feel, knowing I'm older than Mr. Putz. I knew him when.
These users thanked the author Ganderag for the post:
aggies22

troutputz
RIP

Post by troutputz » June 2nd, 2022, 12:29 pm

Remember I went back to school when I was 30. That game which Greg stole the ball I was 32.

Just by way of what went down for that game. Reid Newey and I had a class together so Reid told me what happened.
There was about 9 seconds left, we called time out. BYU had the ball at our end of the basket. Greg told Rod Tuellar that he could steal the ball from Parrish. Greg said, Parrish always turns to his left on his first dribble after getting passed the ball. Greg said I can do it coach. Well, the ball was passed to Parrish, sure enough Parrish went to his left and Greg’s long arms got the ball, yanked it away with no time to call a jump ball. Greg took a dribble and a step and dunked it, game over we won by 1. The Spectrum went nuts. Hell I went nuts, I might have even soiled my self with water! I was light headed from the noise!
The noise level of the Spectrum is interesting. One of Boise’s players George Karl’s kid said that when the Spectrum gets loud that you can’t hear at all in your mind, it vibrates and it actually makes you dizzy if you have never experienced it before. In the words of a famous known DJ, “ In the meantime think about it and have good day Neighbors” says Darla Dee’s Dad Glacus Merrill! Used to listen to Glacus give the farm report at 5 am when I started milking the cows! I have had an eclectic life!
These users thanked the author troutputz for the post (total 2):
aggies22Aggie formerly in Hawaii

mcaggie1

Post by mcaggie1 » June 2nd, 2022, 5:59 pm

I don’t remember the numbers….but a couple of moments; the Aggies beat BYU in Provo in about 1964. My dad took me to the game when I was 16. Estes scored at will and won in a close game.

Another was in 1970 or 71. We were playing NMS, and they played dirty. One of their guards shoved Jeff Tebbs hard as Tebbs was about to score on a break away layup. Nate Williams ran down the floor and took a swing at the Raggie player. Nate was thrown out of the game. Like I say I don’t remember the numbers, but without Nate in, Marv Roberts
Became a one man wrecking crew. He pulled down 20 or more rebounds, and 30 + points.
Before that game (which was the last game on our schedule) , both teams were told that the winner of the game would go to the NCAA’s.. those were two great teams.
Last edited by mcaggie1 on June 3rd, 2022, 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author mcaggie1 for the post (total 3):
USU78Aggie formerly in Hawaiiaggies22

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » June 2nd, 2022, 10:42 pm

troutputz wrote:
June 2nd, 2022, 12:29 pm
Remember I went back to school when I was 30. That game which Greg stole the ball I was 32.

Just by way of what went down for that game. Reid Newey and I had a class together so Reid told me what happened.
There was about 9 seconds left, we called time out. BYU had the ball at our end of the basket. Greg told Rod Tuellar that he could steal the ball from Parrish. Greg said, Parrish always turns to his left on his first dribble after getting passed the ball. Greg said I can do it coach. Well, the ball was passed to Parrish, sure enough Parrish went to his left and Greg’s long arms got the ball, yanked it away with no time to call a jump ball. Greg took a dribble and a step and dunked it, game over we won by 1. The Spectrum went nuts. Hell I went nuts, I might have even soiled my self with water! I was light headed from the noise!
The noise level of the Spectrum is interesting. One of Boise’s players George Karl’s kid said that when the Spectrum gets loud that you can’t hear at all in your mind, it vibrates and it actually makes you dizzy if you have never experienced it before. In the words of a famous known DJ, “ In the meantime think about it and have good day Neighbors” says Darla Dee’s Dad Glacus Merrill! Used to listen to Glacus give the farm report at 5 am when I started milking the cows! I have had an eclectic life!
I'd love for a book like this to come out specifically to USU.

They have them for many of the blueblood programs, but it would be awesome to get a USU version. I'd also like a fan section along with the stories from players and coaches with stories from the troutputz's, McAggie, 72Aggiegrad and USU78's of the world who have fan experiences before most of us were alive or remember.
These users thanked the author Aggie formerly in Hawaii for the post:
aggies22

USUaggienation

Post by USUaggienation » June 3rd, 2022, 1:11 pm

June 2nd, 2022, 10:42 pm
troutputz wrote:

They have them for many of the blueblood programs, but it would be awesome to get a USU version. I'd also like a fan section along with the stories from players and coaches with stories from the troutputz's, McAggie, 72Aggiegrad and USU78's of the world who have fan experiences before most of us were alive or remember.
Couldn’t agree more. I’ve thought about getting started on a project like that a number of times, but ultimately it’s just too much time and not enough money.

Maybe one day it’ll happen. But if it ever does, it’ll be pretty flippin’ cool.
These users thanked the author USUaggienation for the post:
Aggie formerly in Hawaii

USUaggienation

Post by USUaggienation » June 3rd, 2022, 1:16 pm

Oh and to comment on the original post … I agree with everyone who said Sam’s entire Mountain West tournament performance.

In each of those games we got ourselves in a pretty bad position and we probably should have lost, but we all know how that one ended up. And the cherry on top was beating a Top 5 SDSU team which was ranked No. 1 in NET rankings for a while (but I know many of you think they weren’t deserving but it’s still something).

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » June 3rd, 2022, 4:17 pm

USUaggienation wrote:
June 3rd, 2022, 1:11 pm
June 2nd, 2022, 10:42 pm
troutputz wrote:

Couldn’t agree more. I’ve thought about getting started on a project like that a number of times, but ultimately it’s just too much time and not enough money.

Maybe one day it’ll happen. But if it ever does, it’ll be pretty flippin’ cool.
Well if you ever get around to it, I'll buy a copy.
These users thanked the author Aggie formerly in Hawaii for the post:
aggies22

QuackAttackAggie
Pick'em Champ - '12 Bowl; '15, '17 Weekly; '18 BB Predict the Score

Post by QuackAttackAggie » June 3rd, 2022, 10:36 pm

USUGrad01 wrote:
bwcrc wrote:

Absolutely my favorite moment in the Spectrum as well. I thought the roof was going to blow off when he jammed that ball.
I waived my can you hear me now sign like a psycho. Don't know what fox was thinking prior to the game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AggiesForever
Pick'em Champ - '15 Kickoff

Post by AggiesForever » June 6th, 2022, 9:08 am

One night versus Wyoming, in 1974-75, I think, Jimmy Moore, Rich Haws and Ed Gregg each had 20+, Mike Rock scored 6 and they were the only Aggies who scored. We beat Wyoming in the Spectrum in one of the greatest shooting exhibitions I ever saw. I can’t tell you who the “other” Aggie players were that night, though I think one of them was Blair Reed. It was Moore, Haws and Gregg all night long!

I was’t in the George Albert Smith Fieldhouse this afternoon, but Super Shaler Halimon scored 47 versus BYU in an losing cause. Halimon actually scored 50 points but the stupid official scorers attributed one of his baskets to another Aggie. They just didn’t want an opposing player going off for 50 against them. Shaler went to his grave convinced he scored 50 points. He was the first pick of the Philadelphia 76ers in the NBA draft that year.
These users thanked the author AggiesForever for the post:
aggies22

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » June 7th, 2022, 10:16 am

Do intramurals count?

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » June 7th, 2022, 12:30 pm

Sorry, I know this doesn’t fit individual, but I have to mention it as it’s still one of the craziest things I’ve ever seen.

Usu was down 79-70 against Boise state with 1:20 left and Boise had posession. Usu ended up winning the game in regulation with George Karl sitting courtside by the student section.
These users thanked the author Roy McAvoy for the post (total 2):
FloridaAggie13aggies22

Aggiefan160

Post by Aggiefan160 » June 7th, 2022, 3:22 pm

Roy McAvoy wrote:
June 7th, 2022, 12:30 pm
Sorry, I know this doesn’t fit individual, but I have to mention it as it’s still one of the craziest things I’ve ever seen.

Usu was down 79-70 against Boise state with 1:20 left and Boise had posession. Usu ended up winning the game in regulation with George Karl sitting courtside by the student section.
These users thanked the author Aggiefan160 for the post (total 3):
FloridaAggie13aggies22bluegrouse

cval

Post by cval » June 7th, 2022, 8:22 pm

That was the game where Stew stopped in the tunnel on his way off the court and applauded the student section. I have always remembered and appreciated that recognition from Stew.
These users thanked the author cval for the post (total 2):
FloridaAggie13Aggie formerly in Hawaii

bluegrouse

Post by bluegrouse » June 20th, 2022, 10:43 pm

Best in-person: JayCee 44 points vs NMS
Best overall (not in person, unfortunately): Sam “The Shot” Merrill 2020 championship - that game was much more than the last shot. He absolutely willed us to win from a deep double digit deficit. But That Shot is the most clutch, most cold-blooded, most magical moment in Aggie sports for me in my lifetime.
These users thanked the author bluegrouse for the post (total 2):
FloridaAggie13JSHarvey

pilotaggie

Post by pilotaggie » June 23rd, 2022, 8:13 pm

Aggiefan160 wrote:
Roy McAvoy wrote:
June 7th, 2022, 12:30 pm

Chaz on the line to end a game was automatic. That guy simply didn't care if he had to make a free throw.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

This post is likely straight up poor sarcasm and cannot be taken seriously.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic