Update on Justin Bean

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
CanofShiz

Re: Update on Justin Bean

Post by CanofShiz » June 24th, 2022, 3:00 pm

Bean has worked his (I can't express myself without swearing) off, he is very deserving of this opportunity at the next level. I hope nothing but the best for him and his family.

Roddy, I got nothing but respect for his game and I've heard people love his podcast. Sure as hell glad he moved on.

My hope is that Bean and Roddy prove all the haters wrong and represent the Mountain West in the NBA.
These users thanked the author CanofShiz for the post (total 4):
aggies22cdaAgflying_scotsman2.0Kevincurtisforlife

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » June 24th, 2022, 3:55 pm

Coloraggie wrote:
June 24th, 2022, 12:17 pm
Madmartigan wrote:
June 24th, 2022, 12:02 pm
Meanwhile the guy that Queta regularly b*tch slapped around from CSU gets drafted in the first round. Go figure.
Roddy is a bust. Reading his draft report and watching him in person you find a couple of things. He is too short to guard a center and too slow to guard a wing. Offensively, he doesn't have a lot of moves, he is a decent shoot but doesn't have a quick shot and is bothered by length of a defender. As a non-star he won't get the calls that he did in college and, IMO, his getting favorable calls was half of his worth in the MWC. So Roddy excelled when he got to go against slower and shorter players that he could push around and not get called for fouls. None of those things are true in the NBA. He may get a few minutes since he was drafted but I doubt he gets any minutes after the first year.
Typical Memphis draft pick.

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » June 24th, 2022, 11:46 pm

aggies22 wrote:
June 24th, 2022, 3:55 pm
Coloraggie wrote:
Madmartigan wrote:
Meanwhile the guy that Queta regularly b*tch slapped around from CSU gets drafted in the first round. Go figure.
Roddy is a bust. Reading his draft report and watching him in person you find a couple of things. He is too short to guard a center and too slow to guard a wing. Offensively, he doesn't have a lot of moves, he is a decent shoot but doesn't have a quick shot and is bothered by length of a defender. As a non-star he won't get the calls that he did in college and, IMO, his getting favorable calls was half of his worth in the MWC. So Roddy excelled when he got to go against slower and shorter players that he could push around and not get called for fouls. None of those things are true in the NBA. He may get a few minutes since he was drafted but I doubt he gets any minutes after the first year.
So he's the next Ja Morant? :)

P.S. You guys are up in the night. David Roddy is a beast. Going at 23 is about right for him and I think he'll have a nice NBA career. Will he be an all-star? Naw... but he's going to be a good contributor.

MarioWest

Post by MarioWest » June 25th, 2022, 6:05 am

Great opportunity for Bean. I hope the Clippers' summer league guards get him the ball so he can show what he's got. Summer League tends to devolve into guards going 1 on 1. That said, his hustle and nose for the ball should really stand out in that environment.

Does anyone know if Sam will be in Las Vegas? It would be awesome to see three Aggies out there as I assume Neemi will be participating.

As for Roddy, I think he can be a solid rotation player. He's strong, skilled and has a huge wingspan for his height. He may have been overdrafted, but he got a lot of hype throughout the process despite his poor combine showing. I do think some evaluators are overrating his ability to draw fouls. He earned a lot of fouls for sure, but he got bailed out by star calls too. And I wouldn't count on 44% 3pt shooting either.

Real Life Aggie

Post by Real Life Aggie » June 27th, 2022, 3:28 pm

CanofShiz wrote:
June 24th, 2022, 3:00 pm
Bean has worked his (I can't express myself without swearing) off, he is very deserving of this opportunity at the next level. I hope nothing but the best for him and his family.

Roddy, I got nothing but respect for his game and I've heard people love his podcast. Sure as hell glad he moved on.

My hope is that Bean and Roddy prove all the haters wrong and represent the Mountain West in the NBA.
I've got nothing but good to say about Roddy. I loved watching him play, except when he was given an odd amount of leniency in his fouling by the refs. Nevertheless, a great player, I hope he excels.
These users thanked the author Real Life Aggie for the post (total 2):
flying_scotsman2.0cdaAg

Madmartigan

Post by Madmartigan » June 27th, 2022, 6:43 pm

treesap32 wrote:
June 24th, 2022, 11:46 pm
aggies22 wrote:
Coloraggie wrote:
Madmartigan wrote:

P.S. You guys are up in the night. David Roddy is a beast. Going at 23 is about right for him and I think he'll have a nice NBA career. Will he be an all-star? Naw... but he's going to be a good contributor.
I just wonder what position he plays and who he guards on the other team.

dirtnsnow

Post by dirtnsnow » June 27th, 2022, 7:58 pm

Madmartigan wrote:
June 27th, 2022, 6:43 pm
treesap32 wrote:
June 24th, 2022, 11:46 pm
aggies22 wrote:
Coloraggie wrote:
Madmartigan wrote:

I just wonder what position he plays and who he guards on the other team.
Everybody, a la pj tucker.

Aggies All the Way!

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » June 27th, 2022, 8:52 pm

I think the best comparison for Roddy is Charles Barkley. At least as far as style of play and body type (not that Roddy will be anywhere near as good). It will be interesting to see how he translates to the NBA and how he does against NBA opponents. I think he will succeed.

I guess he's a small PF? I see him as a Birdman / Barkley / Rodman type, but he's got a better offensive game than Birdman and Rodman did. And maybe a better outside shot than Barkley. PJ Tucker is a decent comparison as far as who he could guard...
These users thanked the author treesap32 for the post (total 2):
USU78BigVBAg

Locked Previous topicNext topic