What does Isaac Johnson Bring? (without thread digging)

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff

What does Isaac Johnson Bring? (without thread digging)

Post by 3rdGenAggie » April 18th, 2022, 2:52 pm

So, we have one Isaac Johnson thread that is mostly song lyrics and another that has turned into a 27+ page monstrosity that is about 80% hand-wringing.

This is the thread for posts about Isaac Johnson and what he brings.

His old 247 profile says he's a SF, but obvioulsy we recruited him as a Center (likely a stretch center like Horvath). He was very highly rated in the 2019 high school class is probably our highest rated basketball recruit of all time, if going off of his high school rating (4*, .9717).

He had basically no stats at Oregon and good HS stats are hard to come by. Click here for a link to his profile with the Deseret News, but for some reason they must think totals are more useful than per-game averages. But, doing my own math, during his senior year it looks like he averaged 18.8 ppg, 8 rpg, and 1.5 apg, and had 0 career blocks (could that possibly be right as a 6'8-6'10 kid in HS?).

What is his style of play? How good of a shooter is he ? (The Deseret News link says he hit 22 threes his senior year, but they don't say how many he took.) Does he rebound well?

Lastly, if he's going to keep that mustache, he needs to keep growing it until he can go full Sam Elliott with it.
These users thanked the author 3rdGenAggie for the post (total 3):
slcaggIdaAg93aggies22

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

scotlandog

Re: What does Isaac Johnson Bring? (without thread digging)

Post by scotlandog » April 18th, 2022, 3:05 pm

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yDPLH0QqZNQ

Watched this highlight clip from a Vegas event. Seemed to move well, shoot well, some post moves, good foot work, could dribble decently well and seemed to pass well. I’m really excited about what this kid can bring.

Get some weight on his frame and he could be a more offensive version of Queta, a hybrid of Queta and Horvath. His potential seems really high.

I’m not sure of his defensive abilities yet, which is obviously something we needed last year. The highlights had some blocks in there but it’s hard to get a real feel for defensive presence from a highlight reel. Anyone have more insights there?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author scotlandog for the post (total 2):
3rdGenAggieaggies22

GeoAg

Post by GeoAg » April 18th, 2022, 3:39 pm

3rdGenAggie wrote:
April 18th, 2022, 2:52 pm
So, we have one Isaac Johnson thread that is mostly song lyrics and another that has turned into a 27+ page monstrosity that is about 80% hand-wringing.

This is the thread for posts about Isaac Johnson and what he brings.

His old 247 profile says he's a SF, but obvioulsy we recruited him as a Center (likely a stretch center like Horvath). He was very highly rated in the 2019 high school class is probably our highest rated basketball recruit of all time, if going off of his high school rating (4*, .9717).

He had basically no stats at Oregon and good HS stats are hard to come by. Click here for a link to his profile with the Deseret News, but for some reason they must think totals are more useful than per-game averages. But, doing my own math, during his senior year it looks like he averaged 18.8 ppg, 8 rpg, and 1.5 apg, and had 0 career blocks (could that possibly be right as a 6'8-6'10 kid in HS?).

What is his style of play? How good of a shooter is he ? (The Deseret News link says he hit 22 threes his senior year, but they don't say how many he took.) Does he rebound well?

Lastly, if he's going to keep that mustache, he needs to keep growing it until he can go full Sam Elliott with it.
I guarantee the blocks at zero is an oversight. He had one in the highlights in the previous post. I doubt it was his first ever, lol.

I like him. Looks like a slightly bigger Horvath with more years to play.
These users thanked the author GeoAg for the post (total 2):
3rdGenAggieaggies22

"You guys have sacrificed in ways you've never sacrificed before. You've given more. You expect more...Tonight is our opportunity to write the story of who this family, who this program, who this team will be" -Coach Blake Anderson

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » April 18th, 2022, 7:38 pm

Coordinated, athletic, moves well. Looks like a basketball player who is tall rather than merely a tall guy playing basketball.
These users thanked the author FloridaAggie13 for the post (total 2):
3rdGenAggieaggies22

slcagg

Post by slcagg » April 18th, 2022, 7:40 pm

What does he bring next year? We need him to average close to double digits next year if he is not a defensive force and with what we have coming back . Can he do it?

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » April 18th, 2022, 8:21 pm

I have only seen a few videos. I hope he can at least be formidable on the defensive side. I think in Odoms offense he can be effective and hopefully opens up the floor by bringing rim protectors out of the paint. He needs to hit the weight room hard this summer. He for sure has upside.

gomretat

Post by gomretat » April 18th, 2022, 10:33 pm

I watched him in high school and I was more impressed with him as a Fresh and Soph then I was when he was a Senior. I hope he has gotten more aggressive and that he will do something in the paint.

AGGIEinIOWA

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » April 19th, 2022, 6:54 am

gomretat wrote:I watched him in high school and I was more impressed with him as a Fresh and Soph then I was when he was a Senior. I hope he has gotten more aggressive and that he will do something in the paint.
Im a bit concerned about this as well. I wasn’t overly impressed in his limited minutes against the Aggies last month.

SeldomSeenSmith

Post by SeldomSeenSmith » April 19th, 2022, 7:39 am

Early predictions have a way of coming back and biting the one making them, but I'll risk it.

I'm not impressed with the signing of the big Johnson kid. I like bigs that are stronger, more physical and more aggressive. Players that move better and are more explosive. From what I can see, he isn't any of those things. He seems slow to me and limited vertically. More of a finesse player. He may be effective against lower level competition, but if Odom plans on using him underneath, he'll get pushed around by MWC and above players. If he develops his body, maybe some of that will change, but I'm not sure he can put on the muscle to do that.
These users thanked the author SeldomSeenSmith for the post (total 4):
FloridaAggie13AgliciousvegasaggieAggiesForever

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » April 19th, 2022, 8:10 am

There is always hope that someone will change with a new environment. I assume that he was fresh off a mission. Maybe he will find his stride at USU. It would seem that he is a decent prospect, but not necessarily someone that is going to come out and put up 10 and 8 next season. He should find some nice development behind Zapala next year.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » April 19th, 2022, 8:11 am

From highlights, he looks like a Horvath-like player with slightly more bulk and slightly less bounce.

I like this archetype of player as your starter because if they are good like Horvath was they are a matchup nightmare. I do feel like if this guy is your starter you also need a good big physical, athletic guy as your backup, or your team is very susceptible to the Ike matchups.

I like Johnson as one of multiple additions. Obviously any time you can get a high 4-star guy here, you roll the dice and see what happens.

I would like to see us add another post guy, preferably one with some beef like Udeze or the kid from Iowa.
Last edited by ineptimusprime on April 19th, 2022, 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » April 19th, 2022, 8:11 am

NVAggie wrote:
April 19th, 2022, 8:10 am
There is always hope that someone will change with a new environment. I assume that he was fresh off a mission. Maybe he will find his stride at USU. It would seem that he is a decent prospect, but not necessarily someone that is going to come out and put up 10 and 8 next season. He should find some nice development behind Zapala next year.
If he is playing behind Zapala we are in big trouble.
These users thanked the author ineptimusprime for the post:
aggies22

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » April 19th, 2022, 8:24 am

ineptimusprime wrote:
April 19th, 2022, 8:11 am
NVAggie wrote:
:sarcasm:
Sorry, I should have included the sarcasm emoji.
These users thanked the author NVAggie for the post:
aggies22

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » April 19th, 2022, 8:31 am

SeldomSeenSmith wrote:
April 19th, 2022, 7:39 am
Early predictions have a way of coming back and biting the one making them, but I'll risk it.

I'm not impressed with the signing of the big Johnson kid. I like bigs that are stronger, more physical and more aggressive. Players that move better and are more explosive. From what I can see, he isn't any of those things. He seems slow to me and limited vertically. More of a finesse player. He may be effective against lower level competition, but if Odom plans on using him underneath, he'll get pushed around by MWC and above players. If he develops his body, maybe some of that will change, but I'm not sure he can put on the muscle to do that.
He seemed to move better in the HS clips I saw than the limited time against us. In the NIT game, it seemed like he was a square peg in a round hole, as though there wasn't a place for him in their sets on either end; he was just in to eat up minutes.

FeartheFro

Post by FeartheFro » April 19th, 2022, 8:34 am

SeldomSeenSmith wrote:Early predictions have a way of coming back and biting the one making them, but I'll risk it.

I could not agree more. There are exceptions to the rule like KD who is very comfortable being a perimeter player. I’m old school and want to see taller players posting up smaller defenders. I watch a lot of high school basketball and hate to see these 6’8 guys only wanting to hang out on the perimeter shooting 3’s. There was a kid from Layton that graduated in 2021. 6’11, athletic, good shooter. Don’t know if I ever saw him post up, didn’t matter the size of the defender. His game reminds me very much of Johnson’s. Porzingas is another example of someone that I thought should dominate but loved being a perimeter player.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

newhouse9

Post by newhouse9 » April 19th, 2022, 8:34 am

I'm hoping that he has a renewed energy at USU. It sounded from the article I read that he didn't really fit in well at Oregon. That can cause a lot of issues with a player's performance.
These users thanked the author newhouse9 for the post:
aggies22

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » April 19th, 2022, 8:34 am

NVAggie wrote:
April 19th, 2022, 8:24 am
ineptimusprime wrote:
April 19th, 2022, 8:11 am
NVAggie wrote:
:sarcasm:
Sorry, I should have included the sarcasm emoji.
Oh good. I missed the sarcasm. My bad.

If you were going for an “SLB” post, you nailed it. I thought it had been written by SLB himself.
These users thanked the author ineptimusprime for the post (total 2):
aggies22aggiesdidwhat

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » April 19th, 2022, 8:37 am

Isaac will further validate the old saying here that we pretty much just cheer for and against the laundry!

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » April 19th, 2022, 8:44 am

At 17:50 are the start of the 4 minutes Isaac played against us.
These users thanked the author GameFAQSAggie for the post:
slcagg

Dwigt
Pick'em Champ - '20,'21 Weekly; '21 WTHCG

Post by Dwigt » April 19th, 2022, 2:21 pm

I just remember him as the guy that shoved Shulga for the flagrant in the NIT.

Presumptuous and ill-informed.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » April 19th, 2022, 4:06 pm

GameFAQSAggie wrote:
April 19th, 2022, 8:44 am
At 17:50 are the start of the 4 minutes Isaac played against us.
Thank you GFA.

Based on those 4 mins, I think he will be a solid player for us.

SeattleAg

Post by SeattleAg » April 19th, 2022, 4:52 pm

newhouse9 wrote:
April 19th, 2022, 8:34 am
I'm hoping that he has a renewed energy at USU. It sounded from the article I read that he didn't really fit in well at Oregon. That can cause a lot of issues with a player's performance.
If he was/is still pretty churchy after coming back from a mission, Oregon is probably not the best cultural fit. Not hard to imagine him looking around Eugene at all the hairy coed legs and weed and losing a bit of his game.

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » April 19th, 2022, 4:58 pm

SeattleAg wrote:
April 19th, 2022, 4:52 pm
newhouse9 wrote:
April 19th, 2022, 8:34 am
If he was/is still pretty churchy after coming back from a mission, Oregon is probably not the best cultural fit. Not hard to imagine him looking around Eugene at all the hairy coed legs and weed and losing a bit of his game.
I'm losing my game just engaging that visual in my brain 🤮

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » April 19th, 2022, 5:36 pm

I think Isaac is the perfect P5 player to bring in. He fits the mold of someone that the football coaches would have snagged. He WAS highly rated but is NOW hungry for playing time and an opportunity and felt like he would find the success he is looking for by moving down a level. If Blake Anderson had signed this kid everybody would be singing his praises.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post (total 3):
AngusAgsmfdaggieUStateTim

Blitz79

Post by Blitz79 » April 19th, 2022, 6:06 pm

Isaac is a really good pick up. No question. Our guys need to put the work in this summer though.

As a team we still need that go to guy. Will we have someone step up?
These users thanked the author Blitz79 for the post:
aggies22

AGGIEinIOWA

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » April 19th, 2022, 6:24 pm

Don’t get me wrong, I think Isaac is a great addition. He should thrive on and off the court at USU. He should contribute right away and hopefully be a go to guy in another year or two.
These users thanked the author AGGIEinIOWA for the post:
cval

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » April 19th, 2022, 6:25 pm

Blitz79 wrote:
April 19th, 2022, 6:06 pm
Isaac is a really good pick up. No question. Our guys need to put the work in this summer though.

If Bairstow can really nail down that 8 to 12 foot turnaround fall-away jumper that he used last year. That is the type of get-your-own-shot that we were desperately missing last season.
Last edited by aggies22 on April 19th, 2022, 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post:
aggiesdidwhat

TrueAG

Post by TrueAG » April 19th, 2022, 7:03 pm

Has the basketball team found the weight room yet? That seems to one of our biggest weaknesses. Need a big offseason from our young skinny guys.
These users thanked the author TrueAG for the post (total 3):
BustaMcNutt3rdGenAggieMarioWest

newhouse9

Post by newhouse9 » April 19th, 2022, 7:45 pm

TrueAG wrote:
April 19th, 2022, 7:03 pm
Has the basketball team found the weight room yet? That seems to one of our biggest weaknesses. Need a big offseason from our young skinny guys.
So freaking true! Holy moly!

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » April 19th, 2022, 7:59 pm

aggies22 wrote:
April 19th, 2022, 6:25 pm
Blitz79 wrote:
April 19th, 2022, 6:06 pm

If Bairstow can really nail down that 8 to 12 foot turnaround fall-away jumper that he used last year. That is the type of get-you-own-shot that we were desperately missing last season.
That and at least get to 35% proficiency from three.
These users thanked the author Yossarian for the post:
aggies22

Eutaw St. Aggie

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » April 19th, 2022, 8:34 pm

TrueAG wrote:
I could not agree more. Certainly i want the team to improve their basketball skill, but this team also needs to be stronger physically as well as mentally. I hope Odom makes it a priority to get some more muscle on the team which would do a lot of good in my opinion.
These users thanked the author Aggie84025 for the post (total 2):
hipsterdoofus21MarioWest

Huddleclubber
Has thanked: 0

Post by Huddleclubber » April 20th, 2022, 2:01 pm

Isaac's dad Darren played for Utah State back in he late 80's for Rod Tueller. Probably played into his decision to transfer here.

ThunderAggie

Post by ThunderAggie » April 20th, 2022, 3:45 pm

Aggie84025 wrote:
April 19th, 2022, 8:34 pm
TrueAG wrote:
I could not agree more. Certainly i want the team to improve their basketball skill, but this team also needs to be stronger physically as well as mentally. I hope Odom makes it a priority to get some more muscle on the team which would do a lot of good in my opinion.
I have seen Zee on campus every now and again throughout the year, including the other day. He doesn’t seem to be getting much bigger lol.

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » April 20th, 2022, 5:29 pm

Huddleclubber wrote:
April 20th, 2022, 2:01 pm
Isaac's dad Darren played for Utah State back in he late 80's for Rod Tueller. Probably played into his decision to transfer here.
It had absolutely NO impact on his decision to come to Utah State.
Last edited by aggies22 on April 21st, 2022, 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

nswaggie

Post by nswaggie » April 20th, 2022, 6:58 pm

aggies22 wrote:
April 20th, 2022, 5:29 pm
Huddleclubber wrote:
April 20th, 2022, 2:01 pm
It has absolutely NO impact on his decision to come to Utah State.
I’m thinking the coaches sold him on the system and being a stretch 5. Showed him tape of Horvath and how he could fit right in. Just a guess, but that would have been my approach to recruiting him. Especially after watching him play against us in the NIT. I think his teammates might have passed him the ball once?
These users thanked the author nswaggie for the post (total 2):
slcaggaggies22

Locked Previous topicNext topic