All-time teams 1900-1999 vs. 2000-2022+

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
User avatar
LoveMyAggies
Posts: 681
Joined: December 7th, 2013, 11:49 pm
Has thanked: 89 times
Been thanked: 156 times

All-time teams 1900-1999 vs. 2000-2022+

Post by LoveMyAggies » March 19th, 2022, 3:16 am

What would your Blue and White teams be?

Blue rated 1900-1999

White rated 2000-2022+

And which do you think would win?

Here's my starting 5 for each group, with the allowable 13 scholarship players.

Blue - Coach Ladell Anderson with assistant Dale Brown (I think my Blue Squad is better)

PG - Cornell Green
SG - Shalor Halimon
SF - Wayne Estes
PF - Greg Grant
C - Marv Roberts

Bench - 6th man - Nate Williams

Dean Hunger
Eric Franson
Brian Jackson
Kevin Nixon
Reid Newey
Kendall Youngblood
Marcus Saxon

White - Coach Stew Morrill with assistant Randy Rahe

PG - Mark Brown
SG - Jaycee Carroll
SF - Sam Merrill
PF - Tai Wesley
C - Neemies Queta

Bench - 6th man - Desmond Penigar

Gary Wilkinson
Tony Brown
Spencer Nelson
Nate Harris
Shawn Daniels
Bernard Rock
Jared Quayle

Players not mentioned are potentially worthy mentions who were selected to any all-conference teams. I believe these are the best teams you could put together to date. Best Aggie of all time, no questions asked Wayne Estes. I haven't decided on my choice for favorite offense and defensive player.

Spectrum crowds I would choose from the 2008-2011 crowds who invoked unforgettable advantages and intimidating loudness. Thank you Fafner and Wild Bill for those cherished memories.

I have attended many athletic events in my time, from professional and college sports. I think the 2 most fun venues in sports are the Spectrum and Wrigley Field. I was not very impressed with Yankee stadium, and the Delta Center in the finals was rockin' in 98'.

The loudest game I have been to in my lifetime was USU v Nevada 2009. Including dozens and dozens of other college and professional sports venues.
These users thanked the author LoveMyAggies for the post (total 2):
cdaAgutaggies



slcagg
Posts: 12021
Joined: December 15th, 2010, 6:29 pm
Has thanked: 3410 times
Been thanked: 2836 times

Re: All-time teams 1900-1999 vs. 2000-2022+

Post by slcagg » March 19th, 2022, 7:22 am

The pre 2000 team wins.

I agree that Nevada game will live forever in my memory.



User avatar
LoveMyAggies
Posts: 681
Joined: December 7th, 2013, 11:49 pm
Has thanked: 89 times
Been thanked: 156 times

Re: All-time teams 1900-1999 vs. 2000-2022+

Post by LoveMyAggies » March 19th, 2022, 8:42 am

slcagg wrote:The pre 2000 team wins.

I agree that Nevada game will live forever in my memory.
Who would you have on your teams, starting 5 etc?



FeartheFro
Posts: 1118
Joined: March 11th, 2013, 12:15 pm
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 288 times

Re: All-time teams 1900-1999 vs. 2000-2022+

Post by FeartheFro » March 19th, 2022, 10:35 am

I pretty much agree with the list with one exception. On the 1900-1999 team, I’m having Mike Santos at center. Not sure who I displace from the starting 5, but thinking I move Marv to the 4 over Grant. That’s hard for me to say as Greg is my all-time favorite Aggie and his 8-0 against BYU says everything.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author FeartheFro for the post:
mcaggie1



Stockypoo2212
Posts: 232
Joined: August 17th, 2019, 9:46 am
Has thanked: 58 times
Been thanked: 89 times

Re: All-time teams 1900-1999 vs. 2000-2022+

Post by Stockypoo2212 » March 19th, 2022, 10:49 am

All I'm saying is I gotta have Jared Quayle on my all time team. Right now I'm watching him play in a basketball tournament with his high school class and he can't be stopped. He's around 37 years old now and still the most athletic guy on the court



Intermeddler
Posts: 2715
Joined: January 20th, 2011, 7:35 pm
Location: North Salt Lake
Has thanked: 597 times
Been thanked: 635 times

Re: All-time teams 1900-1999 vs. 2000-2022+

Post by Intermeddler » March 19th, 2022, 10:59 am

Penigar was a lot better than Wesley. I’d start him for sure. I like the rosters you picked. Assuming you adjust for eras etc then I’d pick the 1900-99 team to win.
These users thanked the author Intermeddler for the post (total 2):
aggies22apo



utaggies
Posts: 7193
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 12:25 pm
Has thanked: 504 times
Been thanked: 482 times

Re: All-time teams 1900-1999 vs. 2000-2022+

Post by utaggies » March 19th, 2022, 12:53 pm

I think most of us suffer from short-sightedness in not remembering a couple of the players who suited up in the 1950’s and early 1960’s. While Estes was an early to mid-1960’s player he is to Aggie basketball what Merlin Olsen was to Aggie football — a god. So he will alays be remembered. But what of Bert Cook (1950’s) and Max Perry (early 1960’s)? Most likely none of us saw them play and most of us know nothing about them.

Cook was one of the few Aggies ever drafted by the NBA. Both received national all-American honors. And while they both played only two years at USU both are in the top 30 USU scorers of all time. Perry was one of the stars of the team (along with Cornell Green) the last time the Aggies won an NIT game in 1960. Statistics like steals, TOs, assists, etc., were not tracked back in the day like they are now so it’s difficult to compare them to today’s players.

Regardless, I don’t believe I’d change a thing about the players selected in the OP with the exception of replacing Reid Newey with one of my all-time favorites, Mike Santos. I’d probably choose Rich Haws over Newey, too. Nice job!

BTW, was Cornell Green (at 6’4”) a point guard? Max Perry had those duties on their early 1960’s team.
Last edited by utaggies on March 19th, 2022, 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.



OrangeCountyAggie
Posts: 1357
Joined: December 17th, 2018, 12:46 pm
Has thanked: 298 times
Been thanked: 503 times

Re: All-time teams 1900-1999 vs. 2000-2022+

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » March 19th, 2022, 2:05 pm

I became an Aggie fan around the year 2000. So I don't know any of the old-timers. That said, my all 21st-century team (I'm going off of pure talent) would be:

Ist:
PG - Merrill
SG - Carroll
SF - Moore
PF - Wesley
C - Queta

2nd:
PG - T. Brown
SG - Butterfield
SF - Nelson
PF - Bean
C - Wilkenson

3rd:
PG - Quale
SG - Green
SF - Jardine
PF - Harris
C - Shaw



SeldomSeenSmith
Posts: 71
Joined: March 29th, 2021, 10:06 am
Has thanked: 10 times
Been thanked: 123 times

Re: All-time teams 1900-1999 vs. 2000-2022+

Post by SeldomSeenSmith » March 19th, 2022, 3:07 pm

Cornell Green - 2 time All American, drafted by the NBA in the 5th round
Marv Roberts - Honorable Mention All American, drafted by the NBA in the 3rd round
Shaler Halimon - Drafted by the NBA in the 1st round
Nate Williams - All American as a sophomore, drafted 1st in the NBA hardship draft which was for underclassmen
Wayne Estes - Nothing to be said

There haven't been 5 better Aggie basketball players ever and no other group of 5 would have beaten them in their prime. I'd put Halimon at PG on that team.
These users thanked the author SeldomSeenSmith for the post (total 5):
smfdaggieIntermeddlergomretatvegasaggieAggiesForever



bpd
Posts: 1555
Joined: November 4th, 2010, 10:12 pm
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 446 times

Re: All-time teams 1900-1999 vs. 2000-2022+

Post by bpd » March 19th, 2022, 3:13 pm

OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
March 19th, 2022, 2:05 pm
I became an Aggie fan around the year 2000. So I don't know any of the old-timers. That said, my all 21st-century team (I'm going off of pure talent) would be:

Ist:
PG - Merrill
SG - Carroll
SF - Moore
PF - Wesley
C - Queta

2nd:
PG - T. Brown
SG - Butterfield
SF - Nelson
PF - Bean
C - Wilkenson

3rd:
PG - Quale
SG - Green
SF - Jardine
PF - Harris
C - Shaw
How do you leave off Penigar, Mark Brown, Bernard Rock, Shawn Daniels.. even Durall Peterson who played on more tournaments teams then most most these guys.

I don’t see Shaw or Butterield or Greene better than any of this guys.
These users thanked the author bpd for the post (total 2):
utaggiesIntermeddler



Intermeddler
Posts: 2715
Joined: January 20th, 2011, 7:35 pm
Location: North Salt Lake
Has thanked: 597 times
Been thanked: 635 times

Re: All-time teams 1900-1999 vs. 2000-2022+

Post by Intermeddler » March 19th, 2022, 4:38 pm

bpd wrote:
March 19th, 2022, 3:13 pm
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
March 19th, 2022, 2:05 pm
I became an Aggie fan around the year 2000. So I don't know any of the old-timers. That said, my all 21st-century team (I'm going off of pure talent) would be:

Ist:
PG - Merrill
SG - Carroll
SF - Moore
PF - Wesley
C - Queta

2nd:
PG - T. Brown
SG - Butterfield
SF - Nelson
PF - Bean
C - Wilkenson

3rd:
PG - Quale
SG - Green
SF - Jardine
PF - Harris
C - Shaw
How do you leave off Penigar, Mark Brown, Bernard Rock, Shawn Daniels.. even Durall Peterson who played on more tournaments teams then most most these guys.

I don’t see Shaw or Butterield or Greene better than any of this guys.
Or Jardine. Guy started like 5 games here but people act like he’s a legend instead of a nice rotation player



OrangeCountyAggie
Posts: 1357
Joined: December 17th, 2018, 12:46 pm
Has thanked: 298 times
Been thanked: 503 times

Re: All-time teams 1900-1999 vs. 2000-2022+

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » March 19th, 2022, 11:29 pm

bpd wrote:
March 19th, 2022, 3:13 pm
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
March 19th, 2022, 2:05 pm
I became an Aggie fan around the year 2000. So I don't know any of the old-timers. That said, my all 21st-century team (I'm going off of pure talent) would be:

Ist:
PG - Merrill
SG - Carroll
SF - Moore
PF - Wesley
C - Queta

2nd:
PG - T. Brown
SG - Butterfield
SF - Nelson
PF - Bean
C - Wilkenson

3rd:
PG - Quale
SG - Green
SF - Jardine
PF - Harris
C - Shaw
How do you leave off Penigar, Mark Brown, Bernard Rock, Shawn Daniels.. even Durall Peterson who played on more tournaments teams then most most these guys.

I don’t see Shaw or Butterield or Greene better than any of this guys.
Shoot, I forgot Penigar! The other 3 you mentioned only averaged like 9 points a game each. Contributors on great teams no doubt but not all MWC (not WAC or Big West) - caliber players.



OrangeCountyAggie
Posts: 1357
Joined: December 17th, 2018, 12:46 pm
Has thanked: 298 times
Been thanked: 503 times

Re: All-time teams 1900-1999 vs. 2000-2022+

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » March 19th, 2022, 11:37 pm

OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
March 19th, 2022, 11:29 pm
bpd wrote:
March 19th, 2022, 3:13 pm
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
March 19th, 2022, 2:05 pm
I became an Aggie fan around the year 2000. So I don't know any of the old-timers. That said, my all 21st-century team (I'm going off of pure talent) would be:

Ist:
PG - Merrill
SG - Carroll
SF - Moore
PF - Wesley
C - Queta

2nd:
PG - T. Brown
SG - Butterfield
SF - Nelson
PF - Bean
C - Wilkenson

3rd:
PG - Quale
SG - Green
SF - Jardine
PF - Harris
C - Shaw
How do you leave off Penigar, Mark Brown, Bernard Rock, Shawn Daniels.. even Durall Peterson who played on more tournaments teams then most most these guys.

I don’t see Shaw or Butterield or Greene better than any of this guys.
Shoot, I forgot Penigar! The other 3 you mentioned only averaged like 9 points a game each. Contributors on great teams no doubt but not all MWC (not WAC or Big West) - caliber players.

Lets try this again:

Ist:
PG - Merrill
SG - Carroll
SF - Moore
PF - Wesley
C - Queta

2nd:
PG - T. Brown
SG - Butterfield
SF - Nelson
PF - Bean
C - Wilkenson

3rd:
PG - Quale
SG - Medlin
SF - Jardine
PF - Penigar
C - Harris
[/quote]



bpd
Posts: 1555
Joined: November 4th, 2010, 10:12 pm
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 446 times

Re: All-time teams 1900-1999 vs. 2000-2022+

Post by bpd » March 20th, 2022, 12:03 pm

OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
March 19th, 2022, 11:37 pm
[quote=OrangeCountyAggie post_id=789273 time=<a href="tel:1647754172">1647754172</a> user_id=5170]
[quote=bpd post_id=789223 time=<a href="tel:1647724393">1647724393</a> user_id=303]
[quote=OrangeCountyAggie post_id=789218 time=<a href="tel:1647720355">1647720355</a> user_id=5170]
I became an Aggie fan around the year 2000. So I don't know any of the old-timers. That said, my all 21st-century team (I'm going off of pure talent) would be:

Ist:
PG - Merrill
SG - Carroll
SF - Moore
PF - Wesley
C - Queta

2nd:
PG - T. Brown
SG - Butterfield
SF - Nelson
PF - Bean
C - Wilkenson

3rd:
PG - Quale
SG - Green
SF - Jardine
PF - Harris
C - Shaw
How do you leave off Penigar, Mark Brown, Bernard Rock, Shawn Daniels.. even Durall Peterson who played on more tournaments teams then most most these guys.

I don’t see Shaw or Butterield or Greene better than any of this guys.
[/quote]

Shoot, I forgot Penigar! The other 3 you mentioned only averaged like 9 points a game each. Contributors on great teams no doubt but not all MWC (not WAC or Big West) - caliber players.
[/quote]


Lets try this again:

Ist:
PG - Merrill
SG - Carroll
SF - Moore
PF - Wesley
C - Queta

2nd:
PG - T. Brown
SG - Butterfield
SF - Nelson
PF - Bean
C - Wilkenson

3rd:
PG - Quale
SG - Medlin
SF - Jardine
PF - Penigar
C - Harris
[/quote]
[/quote]

You need an education an Aggie basketball. Rock, Daniels, and Butler were all-conference and scored in double figures. If you want to knock Peterson you could, but Green didn’t even start.Buttefield, while a good player, played on some real bad teams and was injured for a lot of his career. Jardine was a bench player and was not as good as Chaz Spicer.
These users thanked the author bpd for the post:
Intermeddler



User avatar
hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface
Posts: 16896
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 9:39 pm
Has thanked: 1550 times
Been thanked: 1951 times

Re: All-time teams 1900-1999 vs. 2000-2022+

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » March 20th, 2022, 12:15 pm

Stockypoo2212 wrote:
March 19th, 2022, 10:49 am
All I'm saying is I gotta have Jared Quayle on my all time team. Right now I'm watching him play in a basketball tournament with his high school class and he can't be stopped. He's around 37 years old now and still the most athletic guy on the court
Are you a Mecham?

Glad I missed playing in that tourney this year. I think they finally moved his team up to their age range. They made them play in the younger class well past when they normally do solely because Jared kicked everyone’s butt so bad.



Stockypoo2212
Posts: 232
Joined: August 17th, 2019, 9:46 am
Has thanked: 58 times
Been thanked: 89 times

Re: All-time teams 1900-1999 vs. 2000-2022+

Post by Stockypoo2212 » March 20th, 2022, 1:01 pm

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
March 20th, 2022, 12:15 pm
Stockypoo2212 wrote:
March 19th, 2022, 10:49 am
All I'm saying is I gotta have Jared Quayle on my all time team. Right now I'm watching him play in a basketball tournament with his high school class and he can't be stopped. He's around 37 years old now and still the most athletic guy on the court
Are you a Mecham?

Glad I missed playing in that tourney this year. I think they finally moved his team up to their age range. They made them play in the younger class well past when they normally do solely because Jared kicked everyone’s butt so bad.
No I am a Wight. What year do you normally play with? After watching Jared and his year play I think they could still kill all the teams in the younger bracket.



gomretat
Posts: 916
Joined: November 27th, 2013, 10:16 am
Has thanked: 237 times
Been thanked: 171 times

Re: All-time teams 1900-1999 vs. 2000-2022+

Post by gomretat » March 20th, 2022, 2:27 pm

SeldomSeenSmith wrote:
March 19th, 2022, 3:07 pm
Cornell Green - 2 time All American, drafted by the NBA in the 5th round
Marv Roberts - Honorable Mention All American, drafted by the NBA in the 3rd round
Shaler Halimon - Drafted by the NBA in the 1st round
Nate Williams - All American as a sophomore, drafted 1st in the NBA hardship draft which was for underclassmen
Wayne Estes - Nothing to be said

There haven't been 5 better Aggie basketball players ever and no other group of 5 would have beaten them in their prime. I'd put Halimon at PG on that team.
Agreed. And Nate Williams has to be a starter no matter time period you are discussing.



User avatar
LoveMyAggies
Posts: 681
Joined: December 7th, 2013, 11:49 pm
Has thanked: 89 times
Been thanked: 156 times

Re: All-time teams 1900-1999 vs. 2000-2022+

Post by LoveMyAggies » March 20th, 2022, 2:52 pm

Intermeddler wrote:Penigar was a lot better than Wesley. I’d start him for sure. I like the rosters you picked. Assuming you adjust for eras etc then I’d pick the 1900-99 team to win.
I agree that Penigar is a better 1 on 1 player than Wesley, i think the way Stew ran his teams through the high post with a good passing 4 great on defense and rebounding I think if you want to start Desmond he would displace Merrill to the 1 spot and maybe Mark Brown is the 6th man.
These users thanked the author LoveMyAggies for the post:
Intermeddler



User avatar
USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly
Posts: 13107
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 6:43 am
Location: Sandy
Has thanked: 5025 times
Been thanked: 1523 times

Re: All-time teams 1900-1999 vs. 2000-2022+

Post by USU78 » March 20th, 2022, 2:53 pm

gomretat wrote:
March 20th, 2022, 2:27 pm
SeldomSeenSmith wrote:
March 19th, 2022, 3:07 pm
Cornell Green - 2 time All American, drafted by the NBA in the 5th round
Marv Roberts - Honorable Mention All American, drafted by the NBA in the 3rd round
Shaler Halimon - Drafted by the NBA in the 1st round
Nate Williams - All American as a sophomore, drafted 1st in the NBA hardship draft which was for underclassmen
Wayne Estes - Nothing to be said

There haven't been 5 better Aggie basketball players ever and no other group of 5 would have beaten them in their prime. I'd put Halimon at PG on that team.
Agreed. And Nate Williams has to be a starter no matter time period you are discussing.
I am honored to have seen each of those amazing players.
These users thanked the author USU78 for the post (total 2):
mcaggie1vegasaggie


You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

User avatar
LoveMyAggies
Posts: 681
Joined: December 7th, 2013, 11:49 pm
Has thanked: 89 times
Been thanked: 156 times

Re: All-time teams 1900-1999 vs. 2000-2022+

Post by LoveMyAggies » March 20th, 2022, 2:57 pm

gomretat wrote:
SeldomSeenSmith wrote:
March 19th, 2022, 3:07 pm
Cornell Green - 2 time All American, drafted by the NBA in the 5th round
Marv Roberts - Honorable Mention All American, drafted by the NBA in the 3rd round
Shaler Halimon - Drafted by the NBA in the 1st round
Nate Williams - All American as a sophomore, drafted 1st in the NBA hardship draft which was for underclassmen
Wayne Estes - Nothing to be said

There haven't been 5 better Aggie basketball players ever and no other group of 5 would have beaten them in their prime. I'd put Halimon at PG on that team.
Agreed. And Nate Williams has to be a starter no matter time period you are discussing.
Greg Grant was all-time leading scorer for decades, played for the Pistons in the NBA, and like was said he was 8-0 vs ybu.

I would love to start Nate Williams, the years he played Marv Roberts scored the most points. They were all great.



mcaggie1
Posts: 3309
Joined: November 5th, 2010, 3:14 pm
Has thanked: 356 times
Been thanked: 548 times

Re: All-time teams 1900-1999 vs. 2000-2022+

Post by mcaggie1 » March 20th, 2022, 3:34 pm

LoveMyAggies wrote:
March 19th, 2022, 3:16 am
What would your Blue and White teams be?

Blue rated 1900-1999

White rated 2000-2022+

And which do you think would win?

Here's my starting 5 for each group, with the allowable 13 scholarship players.

Blue - Coach Ladell Anderson with assistant Dale Brown (I think my Blue Squad is better)

PG - Cornell Green
SG - Shalor Halimon
SF - Wayne Estes
PF - Greg Grant
C - Marv Roberts

Bench - 6th man - Nate Williams

Dean Hunger
Eric Franson
Brian Jackson
Kevin Nixon
Reid Newey
Kendall Youngblood
Marcus Saxon

White - Coach Stew Morrill with assistant Randy Rahe

PG - Mark Brown
SG - Jaycee Carroll
SF - Sam Merrill
PF - Tai Wesley
C - Neemies Queta

Bench - 6th man - Desmond Penigar

Gary Wilkinson
Tony Brown
Spencer Nelson
Nate Harris
Shawn Daniels
Bernard Rock
Jared Quayle

Players not mentioned are potentially worthy mentions who were selected to any all-conference teams. I believe these are the best teams you could put together to date. Best Aggie of all time, no questions asked Wayne Estes. I haven't decided on my choice for favorite offense and defensive player.

Spectrum crowds I would choose from the 2008-2011 crowds who invoked unforgettable advantages and intimidating loudness. Thank you Fafner and Wild Bill for those cherished memories.

I have attended many athletic events in my time, from professional and college sports. I think the 2 most fun venues in sports are the Spectrum and Wrigley Field. I was not very impressed with Yankee stadium, and the Delta Center in the finals was rockin' in 98'.

The loudest game I have been to in my lifetime was USU v Nevada 2009. Including dozens and dozens of other college and professional sports venues.
Some good stuff with the b ball teams. I would make a few changes, but most Aggies should agree with you.
I have been to several baseball venues. The Cardinals Current Busch Stadium is far better than other parks. Ther is a reason why they say the following right before they start the game…”LADIES AND GENTLEMEN…WELCOME TO BASEBALL HEAVEN!” Those fans are great, and very knowledgeable. I like Seattle, San Francisco and Pittsburg too.been to the following and don’t like them as well
Dodgers, Angles, KC, Yankees, San Diego, Coors Field, Texas.



mcaggie1
Posts: 3309
Joined: November 5th, 2010, 3:14 pm
Has thanked: 356 times
Been thanked: 548 times

Re: All-time teams 1900-1999 vs. 2000-2022+

Post by mcaggie1 » March 20th, 2022, 5:08 pm

LoveMyAggies wrote:
March 20th, 2022, 2:57 pm
gomretat wrote:
SeldomSeenSmith wrote:
March 19th, 2022, 3:07 pm
Cornell Green - 2 time All American, drafted by the NBA in the 5th round
Marv Roberts - Honorable Mention All American, drafted by the NBA in the 3rd round
Shaler Halimon - Drafted by the NBA in the 1st round
Nate Williams - All American as a sophomore, drafted 1st in the NBA hardship draft which was for underclassmen
Wayne Estes - Nothing to be said

There haven't been 5 better Aggie basketball players ever and no other group of 5 would have beaten them in their prime. I'd put Halimon at PG on that team.
Agreed. And Nate Williams has to be a starter no matter time period you are discussing.
Greg Grant was all-time leading scorer for decades, played for the Pistons in the NBA, and like was said he was 8-0 vs ybu.

I would love to start Nate Williams, the years he played Marv Roberts scored the most points. They were all great.
…and we haven’t even mentioned Max Perry, Troy Collier, Darnell Haney, Jeff Tebbs, kieth McDonald or Darrell Owens. Most of them were better than most on your lists except for the Estes and Marc Robert’s era



FloridaAggie13
Posts: 18980
Joined: August 22nd, 2011, 2:18 pm
Has thanked: 4191 times
Been thanked: 1492 times

Re: All-time teams 1900-1999 vs. 2000-2022+

Post by FloridaAggie13 » March 20th, 2022, 7:02 pm

Spencer Nelson and Nate Harris were both better than Tai Wesley.
These users thanked the author FloridaAggie13 for the post (total 4):
IntermeddlerSlim80pilotaggieKevincurtisforlife



User avatar
hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface
Posts: 16896
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 9:39 pm
Has thanked: 1550 times
Been thanked: 1951 times

Re: All-time teams 1900-1999 vs. 2000-2022+

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » March 20th, 2022, 8:58 pm

Stockypoo2212 wrote:
March 20th, 2022, 1:01 pm
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
March 20th, 2022, 12:15 pm
Stockypoo2212 wrote:
March 19th, 2022, 10:49 am
All I'm saying is I gotta have Jared Quayle on my all time team. Right now I'm watching him play in a basketball tournament with his high school class and he can't be stopped. He's around 37 years old now and still the most athletic guy on the court
Are you a Mecham?

Glad I missed playing in that tourney this year. I think they finally moved his team up to their age range. They made them play in the younger class well past when they normally do solely because Jared kicked everyone’s butt so bad.
No I am a Wight. What year do you normally play with? After watching Jared and his year play I think they could still kill all the teams in the younger bracket.
As in Danny Wight?

I play with Shaw and the 99 team



slcagg
Posts: 12021
Joined: December 15th, 2010, 6:29 pm
Has thanked: 3410 times
Been thanked: 2836 times

Re: All-time teams 1900-1999 vs. 2000-2022+

Post by slcagg » March 20th, 2022, 10:02 pm

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
March 20th, 2022, 8:58 pm
Stockypoo2212 wrote:
March 20th, 2022, 1:01 pm
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
March 20th, 2022, 12:15 pm
Stockypoo2212 wrote:
March 19th, 2022, 10:49 am
All I'm saying is I gotta have Jared Quayle on my all time team. Right now I'm watching him play in a basketball tournament with his high school class and he can't be stopped. He's around 37 years old now and still the most athletic guy on the court
Are you a Mecham?

Glad I missed playing in that tourney this year. I think they finally moved his team up to their age range. They made them play in the younger class well past when they normally do solely because Jared kicked everyone’s butt so bad.
No I am a Wight. What year do you normally play with? After watching Jared and his year play I think they could still kill all the teams in the younger bracket.
As in Danny Wight?

I play with Shaw and the 99 team
99? Wow you are old. 😁



Stockypoo2212
Posts: 232
Joined: August 17th, 2019, 9:46 am
Has thanked: 58 times
Been thanked: 89 times

Re: All-time teams 1900-1999 vs. 2000-2022+

Post by Stockypoo2212 » March 20th, 2022, 10:29 pm

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
March 20th, 2022, 8:58 pm
Stockypoo2212 wrote:
March 20th, 2022, 1:01 pm
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
March 20th, 2022, 12:15 pm
Stockypoo2212 wrote:
March 19th, 2022, 10:49 am
All I'm saying is I gotta have Jared Quayle on my all time team. Right now I'm watching him play in a basketball tournament with his high school class and he can't be stopped. He's around 37 years old now and still the most athletic guy on the court
Are you a Mecham?

Glad I missed playing in that tourney this year. I think they finally moved his team up to their age range. They made them play in the younger class well past when they normally do solely because Jared kicked everyone’s butt so bad.
No I am a Wight. What year do you normally play with? After watching Jared and his year play I think they could still kill all the teams in the younger bracket.
As in Danny Wight?

I play with Shaw and the 99 team
Yes sir. He's my uncle. 99 played pretty well this year!



User avatar
hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface
Posts: 16896
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 9:39 pm
Has thanked: 1550 times
Been thanked: 1951 times

Re: All-time teams 1900-1999 vs. 2000-2022+

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » March 21st, 2022, 8:16 am

slcagg wrote:
March 20th, 2022, 10:02 pm
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
March 20th, 2022, 8:58 pm
Stockypoo2212 wrote:
March 20th, 2022, 1:01 pm
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
March 20th, 2022, 12:15 pm
Stockypoo2212 wrote:
March 19th, 2022, 10:49 am
All I'm saying is I gotta have Jared Quayle on my all time team. Right now I'm watching him play in a basketball tournament with his high school class and he can't be stopped. He's around 37 years old now and still the most athletic guy on the court
Are you a Mecham?

Glad I missed playing in that tourney this year. I think they finally moved his team up to their age range. They made them play in the younger class well past when they normally do solely because Jared kicked everyone’s butt so bad.
No I am a Wight. What year do you normally play with? After watching Jared and his year play I think they could still kill all the teams in the younger bracket.
As in Danny Wight?

I play with Shaw and the 99 team
99? Wow you are old. 😁

As dirt buddy. As dirt. 41 today.



User avatar
hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface
Posts: 16896
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 9:39 pm
Has thanked: 1550 times
Been thanked: 1951 times

Re: All-time teams 1900-1999 vs. 2000-2022+

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » March 21st, 2022, 8:18 am

Stockypoo2212 wrote:
March 20th, 2022, 10:29 pm
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
March 20th, 2022, 8:58 pm
Stockypoo2212 wrote:
March 20th, 2022, 1:01 pm
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
March 20th, 2022, 12:15 pm
Stockypoo2212 wrote:
March 19th, 2022, 10:49 am
All I'm saying is I gotta have Jared Quayle on my all time team. Right now I'm watching him play in a basketball tournament with his high school class and he can't be stopped. He's around 37 years old now and still the most athletic guy on the court
Are you a Mecham?

Glad I missed playing in that tourney this year. I think they finally moved his team up to their age range. They made them play in the younger class well past when they normally do solely because Jared kicked everyone’s butt so bad.
No I am a Wight. What year do you normally play with? After watching Jared and his year play I think they could still kill all the teams in the younger bracket.
As in Danny Wight?

I play with Shaw and the 99 team
Yes sir. He's my uncle. 99 played pretty well this year!
Danny's still got it man. Good bloodline for ballers. And yes, Jared's team can easily still dominate the young bracket.
These users thanked the author hipsterdoofus21 for the post:
Stockypoo2212



slcagg
Posts: 12021
Joined: December 15th, 2010, 6:29 pm
Has thanked: 3410 times
Been thanked: 2836 times

Re: All-time teams 1900-1999 vs. 2000-2022+

Post by slcagg » March 21st, 2022, 8:29 am

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
March 21st, 2022, 8:16 am
slcagg wrote:
March 20th, 2022, 10:02 pm
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
March 20th, 2022, 8:58 pm
Stockypoo2212 wrote:
March 20th, 2022, 1:01 pm
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
March 20th, 2022, 12:15 pm
Stockypoo2212 wrote:
March 19th, 2022, 10:49 am
All I'm saying is I gotta have Jared Quayle on my all time team. Right now I'm watching him play in a basketball tournament with his high school class and he can't be stopped. He's around 37 years old now and still the most athletic guy on the court
Are you a Mecham?

Glad I missed playing in that tourney this year. I think they finally moved his team up to their age range. They made them play in the younger class well past when they normally do solely because Jared kicked everyone’s butt so bad.
No I am a Wight. What year do you normally play with? After watching Jared and his year play I think they could still kill all the teams in the younger bracket.
As in Danny Wight?

I play with Shaw and the 99 team
99? Wow you are old. 😁

As dirt buddy. As dirt. 41 today.
Happy birthday my friend!


Image
These users thanked the author slcagg for the post:
hipsterdoofus21



bill.george
Posts: 57
Joined: May 24th, 2020, 8:43 am
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 45 times

Re: All-time teams 1900-1999 vs. 2000-2022+

Post by bill.george » March 26th, 2022, 9:57 am

SeldomSeenSmith wrote:Cornell Green - 2 time All American, drafted by the NBA in the 5th round
Marv Roberts - Honorable Mention All American, drafted by the NBA in the 3rd round
Shaler Halimon - Drafted by the NBA in the 1st round
Nate Williams - All American as a sophomore, drafted 1st in the NBA hardship draft which was for underclassmen
Wayne Estes - Nothing to be said

There haven't been 5 better Aggie basketball players ever and no other group of 5 would have beaten them in their prime. I'd put Halimon at PG on that team.
You nailed it!


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author bill.george for the post (total 3):
USU78USUaggieFloridaAggie13



Aggiealum13
Posts: 509
Joined: February 3rd, 2017, 4:28 am
Has thanked: 19 times
Been thanked: 172 times

Re: All-time teams 1900-1999 vs. 2000-2022+

Post by Aggiealum13 » March 26th, 2022, 10:33 am

Intermeddler wrote:
March 19th, 2022, 4:38 pm
bpd wrote:
March 19th, 2022, 3:13 pm
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
March 19th, 2022, 2:05 pm
I became an Aggie fan around the year 2000. So I don't know any of the old-timers. That said, my all 21st-century team (I'm going off of pure talent) would be:

Ist:
PG - Merrill
SG - Carroll
SF - Moore
PF - Wesley
C - Queta

2nd:
PG - T. Brown
SG - Butterfield
SF - Nelson
PF - Bean
C - Wilkenson

3rd:
PG - Quale
SG - Green
SF - Jardine
PF - Harris
C - Shaw
How do you leave off Penigar, Mark Brown, Bernard Rock, Shawn Daniels.. even Durall Peterson who played on more tournaments teams then most most these guys.

I don’t see Shaw or Butterield or Greene better than any of this guys.
Or Jardine. Guy started like 5 games here but people act like he’s a legend instead of a nice rotation player
When I think of Jardine.

These users thanked the author Aggiealum13 for the post:
FloridaAggie13



OrangeCountyAggie
Posts: 1357
Joined: December 17th, 2018, 12:46 pm
Has thanked: 298 times
Been thanked: 503 times

Re: All-time teams 1900-1999 vs. 2000-2022+

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » March 31st, 2022, 3:36 pm

OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
March 19th, 2022, 11:37 pm
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
March 19th, 2022, 11:29 pm
bpd wrote:
March 19th, 2022, 3:13 pm
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
March 19th, 2022, 2:05 pm
I became an Aggie fan around the year 2000. So I don't know any of the old-timers. That said, my all 21st-century team (I'm going off of pure talent) would be:

Ist:
PG - Merrill
SG - Carroll
SF - Moore
PF - Wesley
C - Queta

2nd:
PG - T. Brown
SG - Butterfield
SF - Nelson
PF - Bean
C - Wilkenson

3rd:
PG - Quale
SG - Green
SF - Jardine
PF - Harris
C - Shaw
How do you leave off Penigar, Mark Brown, Bernard Rock, Shawn Daniels.. even Durall Peterson who played on more tournaments teams then most most these guys.

I don’t see Shaw or Butterield or Greene better than any of this guys.
Shoot, I forgot Penigar! The other 3 you mentioned only averaged like 9 points a game each. Contributors on great teams no doubt but not all MWC (not WAC or Big West) - caliber players.

Lets try this again:

Ist:
PG - Merrill
SG - Carroll
SF - Moore
PF - Wesley
C - Queta

2nd:
PG - T. Brown
SG - Butterfield
SF - Nelson
PF - Bean
C - Wilkenson

3rd:
PG - Quale
SG - Medlin
SF - Jardine
PF - Penigar
C - Harris
[/quote]



It's funny, USU PR, created this graphic, using my all-time starting 5 (minus Funk of course). Bean is on there to, but he'd be the first guy off my bench. It shows you how the school feels about this.



User avatar
LoveMyAggies
Posts: 681
Joined: December 7th, 2013, 11:49 pm
Has thanked: 89 times
Been thanked: 156 times

Re: All-time teams 1900-1999 vs. 2000-2022+

Post by LoveMyAggies » March 31st, 2022, 11:41 pm

I agree by the way .. one on one Spencer Nate and Penigar were more talented than Tai Wesley.

If you look at Tai’s graduating class and go watch his games, when he was playing his best .. like 95% of the time his teams won. He elevated everyone around him. Since 2000 if I were picking a player to take first against a head to head match-up the only player debatable who also made everyone else better over the process of the year was Sam Merrill.

Sam was the most clutch player since 2000.

I think if you put Tai with Queta, Penigar, Carroll and Jalen Moore

Against say

mark Brown Sam Merrill spencer nelson Nate Harris and (you pick Jared Quayle or Tony Brown)

I think Tai Wesley’s group wins because he had the It factor to elevate his team mates.

Swap him with say Nate Harris and keep the rest of the teams the same its still debatable who wins, Sam Merrill probably takes the cake with a clutch 3 at the end.

Sam Merrill knew how to and when to take games over. Probably best all around since 2000.

Tai was probably the best overall winner, .. there were bench players I vividly remember playing better off the crowd and the crowd was energized by plays Tai was involved in, both defensively and offensively. In the spectrum it felt like our team was ahead 15-0 at the start of every game with the group Tai Graduated with. Watch the games and you’ll see what I mean.

A ton of credit goes to Stew for seeing the potential in all of the guys he brought in. Developing them and turning the spectrum into a mental challenge for the opposing teams.

A lot of people are still hurting over the final months and decision Smith made to leave USU for Utah. Smith wasnt the best recruiter but he definitely was developing players to play 2-3 levels above where they started when he arrived. I think he didnt get enough credit with how he developed Brito Bean Queta and Sam(even abel porter). He seemed to get more overall effort out of role players and bench players who were fine with not being Sam or Queta.

Sorry for the rant, just some random thoughts.



OrangeCountyAggie
Posts: 1357
Joined: December 17th, 2018, 12:46 pm
Has thanked: 298 times
Been thanked: 503 times

Re: All-time teams 1900-1999 vs. 2000-2022+

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » April 1st, 2022, 1:32 pm

LoveMyAggies wrote:
March 31st, 2022, 11:41 pm
I agree by the way .. one on one Spencer Nate and Penigar were more talented than Tai Wesley.

If you look at Tai’s graduating class and go watch his games, when he was playing his best .. like 95% of the time his teams won. He elevated everyone around him. Since 2000 if I were picking a player to take first against a head to head match-up the only player debatable who also made everyone else better over the process of the year was Sam Merrill.

Sam was the most clutch player since 2000.

I think if you put Tai with Queta, Penigar, Carroll and Jalen Moore

Against say

mark Brown Sam Merrill spencer nelson Nate Harris and (you pick Jared Quayle or Tony Brown)

I think Tai Wesley’s group wins because he had the It factor to elevate his team mates.

Swap him with say Nate Harris and keep the rest of the teams the same its still debatable who wins, Sam Merrill probably takes the cake with a clutch 3 at the end.

Sam Merrill knew how to and when to take games over. Probably best all around since 2000.

Tai was probably the best overall winner, .. there were bench players I vividly remember playing better off the crowd and the crowd was energized by plays Tai was involved in, both defensively and offensively. In the spectrum it felt like our team was ahead 15-0 at the start of every game with the group Tai Graduated with. Watch the games and you’ll see what I mean.

A ton of credit goes to Stew for seeing the potential in all of the guys he brought in. Developing them and turning the spectrum into a mental challenge for the opposing teams.

A lot of people are still hurting over the final months and decision Smith made to leave USU for Utah. Smith wasnt the best recruiter but he definitely was developing players to play 2-3 levels above where they started when he arrived. I think he didnt get enough credit with how he developed Brito Bean Queta and Sam(even abel porter). He seemed to get more overall effort out of role players and bench players who were fine with not being Sam or Queta.

Sorry for the rant, just some random thoughts.
Tai had all of the footwork and post moves that Nate and Spencer had but the dude was an absolute bulldog! If you needed a bucket or a key rebound, he would get it. The second Stew decided to start him as a freshman, he completely changed the trajectory of the team. If he was 3 inches taller he'd been drafted.



dirtnsnow
Posts: 809
Joined: August 26th, 2011, 11:54 pm
Has thanked: 169 times
Been thanked: 453 times

Re: All-time teams 1900-1999 vs. 2000-2022+

Post by dirtnsnow » April 1st, 2022, 1:52 pm

Carson Shanks, Adam Thoseby, Marcel Davis, Elston Jones, and Koby McEwen.

All time busts, right?


Aggies All the Way!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic