Conferences getting teams into the dance

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
treesap32

Conferences getting teams into the dance

Post by treesap32 » March 18th, 2022, 8:46 am

I see a lot of conversations about how the "MWC didn't deserve to get 4 teams in" or how the "MWC will never get 4 teams in again" or how the "committee won't ever pick 4 teams from the MWC again" etc.

The reality is, conference affiliation does not (or at least should not) matter when selecting the 68 teams for the NCAA tournament. Each team is evaluated as a sole entity regardless of conference affiliation. The committee doesn't sit down and say, "ok... we're done with the PAC-12, now let's move on to the Mountain West Conference... how many of these teams will we let in? 3? 4?"

That's just not the way it works.

The conference happened to have 4 teams that were deserving of a bid this year and all 4 got their bids. It had nothing to do with what logo was on the top corner of their jerseys.

Also, Wyoming getting an invite to the dance wasn't Utah State's saving grace to get into the NIT. There is no requirement that the NIT committee only let in 1 mountain west team per year. If Wyoming would've been replaced by say... Oklahoma in the big dance, both Wyoming and Utah State would've been selected for the NIT.

Sorry... had to get that off my chest.
These users thanked the author treesap32 for the post (total 8):
utaggiesLarryTheAggieFloridaAggie13aggies1Bank ShotPGaggieaggieguy13MrBiggle

dirtnsnow

Re: Conferences getting teams into the dance

Post by dirtnsnow » March 18th, 2022, 9:10 am

While I agree with you in principal, the majority of our games in any given year are against conference opponents. They gave the conference games a lot of weight this year. I think they will seek to tweak the formula so as not to do it again. The problem is that the net formula isn't public knowledge, so they can do with it whatever they please, up to and including "discount mountain west conference games".

Aggies All the Way!

FeartheFro

Post by FeartheFro » March 18th, 2022, 9:15 am

treesap32 wrote:I see a lot of conversations about how the "MWC didn't deserve to get 4 teams in" or how the "MWC will never get 4 teams in again" or how the "committee won't ever pick 4 teams from the MWC again" etc.

The reality is, conference affiliation does not (or at least should not) matter when selecting the 68 teams for the NCAA tournament. Each team is evaluated as a sole entity regardless of conference affiliation. The committee doesn't sit down and say, "ok... we're done with the PAC-12, now let's move on to the Mountain West Conference... how many of these teams will we let in? 3? 4?"

The conference happened to have 4 teams that were deserving of a bid this year and all 4 got their bids. It had nothing to do with what logo was on the top corner of their jerseys.

Also, Wyoming getting an invite to the dance wasn't Utah State's saving grace to get into the NIT. There is no requirement that the NIT committee only let in 1 mountain west team per year. If Wyoming would've been replaced by say... Oklahoma in the big dance, both Wyoming and Utah State would've been selected for the NIT.

I agree 100% that this is the way the committee would say they do selections. I also think that all officials would say there is no bias in the calls they make. I can’t imagine the human element of the selection committee not being impacted (at least in the very near future) by the (I can't express myself without swearing) of the bed by the MWC this year. I hope I’m wrong and the Mountain West continues to do well as a conference and teams continue to have high NET rankings resulting in continuous 4 team invites.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » March 18th, 2022, 9:28 am

treesap32 wrote:
March 18th, 2022, 8:46 am
I see a lot of conversations about how the "MWC didn't deserve to get 4 teams in" or how the "MWC will never get 4 teams in again" or how the "committee won't ever pick 4 teams from the MWC again" etc.

Evidenced by the conference going O-fer from 2017-2021 and they still got 4 teams in this year.
These users thanked the author hipsterdoofus21 for the post:
Bank Shot

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » March 18th, 2022, 10:09 am

I don't think the MWC did very well the last time they got 5 teams in either. Maybe someone can look that up...

aggies1
Pick'em Champ - '20 BB Predict The Score & '20 FB Bowl

Post by aggies1 » March 18th, 2022, 10:11 am

dirtnsnow wrote:
March 18th, 2022, 9:10 am
While I agree with you in principal, the majority of our games in any given year are against conference opponents. They gave the conference games a lot of weight this year. I think they will seek to tweak the formula so as not to do it again. The problem is that the net formula isn't public knowledge, so they can do with it whatever they please, up to and including "discount mountain west conference games".
The conference earned the weight given this year by strong out of conference play. Our conference teams beat the following teams out of conference:

Ole Miss
Santa Clara 2x
Washington State
Creighton
St. Mary's 2X
Mississippi State
Arizona State
Georgetown (They weren't strong this year, but a hats in the mall team)
Washington 2x
California
Richmond
Oklahoma
New Mexico State 2x

While some of these teams aren't strongest teams this year, several are still in the big dance and moving on:Creighton,St. Mary's,Richmond, and New Mexico State. By scheduling and beating some strong teams this year, it only helps. Now we need to build off of a strong year and keep getting stronger and playing even stronger teams.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » March 18th, 2022, 10:12 am

treesap32 wrote:
March 18th, 2022, 10:09 am
I don't think the MWC did very well the last time they got 5 teams in either. Maybe someone can look that up...
nope the mw did poorly that year and it took 9 years after that to get 3 or more in again. I agree the past isnt a formula they use, but there is a human element with conference perception where constantly losing certainly doesnt help things.

Aggie19

Post by Aggie19 » March 18th, 2022, 10:25 am

treesap32 wrote:
That year 2 games were won. This year, historically bad???

Go Aggies!

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » March 18th, 2022, 10:27 am

Aggie19 wrote:
March 18th, 2022, 10:25 am
treesap32 wrote:
That year 2 games were won. This year, historically bad???
Ouch

dirtnsnow

Post by dirtnsnow » March 18th, 2022, 10:33 am

aggies1 wrote:
March 18th, 2022, 10:11 am
dirtnsnow wrote:
March 18th, 2022, 9:10 am
The conference earned the weight given this year by strong out of conference play. Our conference teams beat the following teams out of conference:

Ole Miss
Santa Clara 2x
Washington State
Creighton
St. Mary's 2X
Mississippi State
Arizona State
Georgetown (They weren't strong this year, but a hats in the mall team)
Washington 2x
California
Richmond
Oklahoma
New Mexico State 2x

While some of these teams aren't strongest teams this year, several are still in the big dance and moving on:Creighton,St. Mary's,Richmond, and New Mexico State. By scheduling and beating some strong teams this year, it only helps. Now we need to build off of a strong year and keep getting stronger and playing even stronger teams.
I know why they got in. They could just tweak the formula to give more weight to in conference games than out of conference games to compensate. That's assuming it's all mathematical. Given that it's all under wraps, they could just give a conference less weight than others based on their own notions of who they want in.

Aggies All the Way!

Locked Previous topicNext topic