Recruiting big board

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Aggie19

Re: Recruiting big board

Post by Aggie19 » March 21st, 2022, 5:35 pm

aggieborn wrote:
March 21st, 2022, 5:31 pm

Could this be a potential recruit? 6’10 not a lot of aau stuff cuz he’s LDS and it looks like he doesn’t play on Sundays. Missed 2 highschool seasons cuz of California Covid rules. Could be flying under the radar like Bean did after his torn ACL. I’m no recruiting expert just a thought he looks much better than some of the Centers we have right now.
If he is LDS enough to not play on Sundays, I have a hard time thinking he's not looking for something a little further south than Logan. I know the Aggies don't play hardly ever on Sundays, but have we had a player in the past that wouldn't?

Go Aggies!

aggieborn

Post by aggieborn » March 21st, 2022, 5:36 pm

Averaged 15 points 13.5 rebounds and 5 blocks won league MVP but I have no idea what the competition was like I imagine he’s a mission kid.
These users thanked the author aggieborn for the post:
hipsterdoofus21

slcagg

Post by slcagg » March 21st, 2022, 5:38 pm

Alabama transfer from Arizona.

4 star recruit last year.

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » March 21st, 2022, 5:41 pm

aggieborn wrote:

Could this be a potential recruit? 6’10 not a lot of aau stuff cuz he’s LDS and it looks like he doesn’t play on Sundays. Missed 2 highschool seasons cuz of California Covid rules. Could be flying under the radar like Bean did after his torn ACL. I’m no recruiting expert just a thought he looks much better than some of the Centers we have right now.
He looks very coordinated (especially receiving a pass that was thrown behind him on a full sprint where he turned to the side, caught the pass, and took two steps for a dunk -- that was impressive). I think 6'10" is generous. He looks a little shorter than that. He has a nice touch from 12- 15 feet. He may be worth a look. He certainly seems like an upgrade from a coordination standpoint.

Who are these AAU teams he was playing against? They looked, uh, not very good.

Eutaw St. Aggie

aggieborn

Post by aggieborn » March 21st, 2022, 5:42 pm

Aggie19 wrote:
March 21st, 2022, 5:35 pm
aggieborn wrote:

If he is LDS enough to not play on Sundays, I have a hard time thinking he's not looking for something a little further south than Logan. I know the Aggies don't play hardly ever on Sundays, but have we had a player in the past that wouldn't?
Just watched a news piece about him on YouTube they said he’s attracted interest from Utah State and Stanford. That might go along with what someone on the board was saying about possible recruits not having social media because nothing has been posted about him and Utah State. Nothing said about BYU having interest.
These users thanked the author aggieborn for the post:
Aggie19

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » March 21st, 2022, 5:44 pm

aggieborn wrote:
March 21st, 2022, 5:36 pm
Averaged 15 points 13.5 rebounds and 5 blocks won league MVP but I have no idea what the competition was like I imagine he’s a mission kid.
It says he is from Ponderosa High School in Shingle Springs. Shingle Springs is a small town on the Highway 50 corridor between Sacramento and South Lake Tahoe. His high school competition is going to be very weak. I don't know about what AAU competition he faced.

Eutaw St. Aggie

OrangeCountyAggie

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » March 21st, 2022, 6:01 pm

Yossarian wrote:
March 21st, 2022, 5:44 pm
aggieborn wrote:
It says he is from Ponderosa High School in Shingle Springs. Shingle Springs is a small town on the Highway 50 corridor between Sacramento and South Lake Tahoe. His high school competition is going to be very weak. I don't know about what AAU competition he faced.
I grew up near there, they were one of our HS rivals. Shingle Springs is a small town, but the high school plays in a highly competitive league that has produced plenty of DI, NBA, and NFL talent (Ryan Anderson, Austin Collie, Ian Book, to name a few).

coolag

Post by coolag » March 21st, 2022, 6:08 pm

Pass

Regulator of Class

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » March 21st, 2022, 6:15 pm

OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
March 21st, 2022, 6:01 pm
Yossarian wrote:
aggieborn wrote:
I grew up near there, they were one of our HS rivals. Shingle Springs is a small town, but the high school plays in a highly competitive league that has produced plenty of DI, NBA, and NFL talent (Ryan Anderson, Austin Collie, Ian Book, to name a few).
Didn't Collie play in Folsom or Granite Bay? I think they are a higher division than Ponderosa (Ponderosa is a division III school and those others are division II). Ponderosa plays in a league with Lincoln, Placer, Nevada Union, et. al. It is a significant drop off in competition. The league with Del Oro, Folsom, Granite Bay, Whitney, Rocklin, Oak Ridge, and Grant is extremely competitive.

Just looked at the high school stats. A disappointing ending to a great year. They went 12-0 in league and won 27 straight games (27-0). Then they go to the playoffs and lost in the first round to the #17 team that had to play in a play-in game to get to the playoffs. That had to hurt.

Eutaw St. Aggie

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » March 21st, 2022, 6:40 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:
March 21st, 2022, 3:10 pm
Utah has three dudes in the portal so far. Would we have any interest in any of them?

Also, appears we’ve not contacted Kennedy.

EDIT: make that four Utes. David Jenkins just entered
We're in the "among others" category.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post (total 3):
slcaggAggie19FloridaAggie13

SLB

Post by SLB » March 21st, 2022, 7:19 pm

Yossarian wrote:
aggieborn wrote:
My sister went to Ponderosa almost 20 years ago. We got to get this guy now. :lol:

SLB

Post by SLB » March 21st, 2022, 7:36 pm

I wonder if there is some Ponderosa vs Oak Ridge and some bigger city games. Oak Ridge is El Dorado Hills (home to a number of pro athletes).

SLB

Post by SLB » March 21st, 2022, 7:49 pm

OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
Yossarian wrote:
aggieborn wrote:
Ponderosa High is Shingle Springs, Cameron Park, and etc. which adds up to a decent population. I know Oak Ridge High (El Dorado Hills) which is west of there got themselves moved to the Sacramento school district, and Sacramento has I believe over 2 million in their metro population.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » March 21st, 2022, 7:52 pm

aggieborn wrote:
March 21st, 2022, 5:42 pm
Aggie19 wrote:
aggieborn wrote:

Just watched a news piece about him on YouTube they said he’s attracted interest from Utah State and Stanford. That might go along with what someone on the board was saying about possible recruits not having social media because nothing has been posted about him and Utah State. Nothing said about BYU having interest.
Last time we were competing for a recruit with Stanford, we got zapala.

Watching the YouTube some of the competition might have been at a local ward building.

SLB

Post by SLB » March 21st, 2022, 7:57 pm

Yossarian wrote:
March 21st, 2022, 6:15 pm
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
Yossarian wrote:
aggieborn wrote:
Didn't Collie play in Folsom or Granite Bay? I think they are a higher division than Ponderosa (Ponderosa is a division III school and those others are division II). Ponderosa plays in a league with Lincoln, Placer, Nevada Union, et. al. It is a significant drop off in competition. The league with Del Oro, Folsom, Granite Bay, Whitney, Rocklin, Oak Ridge, and Grant is extremely competitive.

Just looked at the high school stats. A disappointing ending to a great year. They went 12-0 in league and won 27 straight games (27-0). Then they go to the playoffs and lost in the first round to the #17 team that had to play in a play-in game to get to the playoffs. That had to hurt.
Collie and Brook went to Oak Ridge. Ponderosa is in a smaller league, but Oak Ridge used to be in the same school district 20 years ago. I am curious if there are still some games with the bigger schools that are just west of there. The Little League baseball district that I played in a number of years ago went as East as Pollock Pines to as far west as Woodcreek and Roseville. (I know this because we were runner-up in the district one year).

SLB

Post by SLB » March 21st, 2022, 8:12 pm

For funny things, the star player for St. Mary's a short time ago was Ford from Folsom. Folsom is just west of El Dorado Hills.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » March 21st, 2022, 8:15 pm

Mcgriff picked up 4 offers. A few ok programs. However when a guy starts getting a bunch of offers it sometimes snowballs.

These users thanked the author slcagg for the post:
Aggie in Boise

SLB

Post by SLB » March 21st, 2022, 8:17 pm

slcagg wrote:
March 21st, 2022, 8:15 pm
Mcgriff picked up 4 offers. A few ok programs. However when a guy starts getting a bunch of offers it sometimes snowballs.

A 6'6" McGriff JC transfer, we need more of that.

Aggie in Boise

Post by Aggie in Boise » March 21st, 2022, 8:22 pm

slcagg wrote:
March 21st, 2022, 7:52 pm
aggieborn wrote:
March 21st, 2022, 5:42 pm
Aggie19 wrote:
aggieborn wrote:

Last time we were competing for a recruit with Stanford, we got zapala.

Watching the YouTube some of the competition might have been at a local ward building.
Yip. We won.

"We've upped our standards, so UP YOURS." Unknown

GUS

Post by GUS » March 21st, 2022, 8:48 pm

Bliss looks like he could be like Degenhart was for Boise. An underrecruited kid that turns out to be pretty good.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » March 21st, 2022, 8:56 pm

aggies22 wrote:
March 21st, 2022, 6:40 pm
ineptimusprime wrote:
March 21st, 2022, 3:10 pm
Utah has three dudes in the portal so far. Would we have any interest in any of them?

Also, appears we’ve not contacted Kennedy.

EDIT: make that four Utes. David Jenkins just entered
We're in the "among others" category.
What in the hell are we doing in the “among others” category on a list that features UTEP and ETSU? If it were “Duke, Kansas, and UCLA, among others,” I’d get it. 😂

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » March 21st, 2022, 9:03 pm

Some nuggets from the final coaches’ show tonight (take with a grain of salt because I had 3 kids under age 9 in the car with me making plenty of noise):

(1) Coach Dixon was in Hutchinson for the JC tournament;
(2) In discussing RJ, I think Odom said something about “seeing what he decides this week,” (but I could have misheard that).
(3) he is meeting with players (met with Shulga today)
(4) The names Ashworth, Jones, Shulga, Zee, and Zapala all came up in a forward-looking context, which suggested to me these guys will all be returning.
(5) It was Scottie G, not Coach O, but it was mentioned we would “have anywhere from 1 to 3 scholarships.”
(6) Sounds like Miller is done for sure but everything else is up in the air.

This is pure speculation on my part, but I do wonder if an offer to McGriff is based on what RJ decides.
These users thanked the author ineptimusprime for the post:
slcagg

AGGIEinIOWA

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » March 21st, 2022, 9:33 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:
March 21st, 2022, 9:03 pm
Some nuggets from the final coaches’ show tonight (take with a grain of salt because I had 3 kids under age 9 in the car with me making plenty of noise):

(2) In discussing RJ, I think Odom said something about “seeing what he decides this week,” (but I could have misheard that).
(4) The names Ashworth, Jones, Shulga, Zee, and Zapala all came up in a forward-looking context, which suggested to me these guys will all be returning.
(5) It was Scottie G, not Coach O, but it was mentioned we would “have anywhere from 1 to 3 scholarships.”

This is pure speculation on my part, but I do wonder if an offer to McGriff is based on what RJ decides.
Thanks for these nuggets! Much appreciated.
Question. Isn't Horvath done for sure too, so we are losing at least 2 scholarship players? I guess that would still leave us with only minimum of 1 more open scholarship if they are counting Falslev as taking one of the 2 guaranteed openings. I'd be happy if both Bean and RJ come back but not counting on it. I have a hard time believing we won't have any others that are either counseled out or enter the portal though, so that 1-3 will likely end up being 1-5 (or 6) perhaps. I am excited for Falslev as I think he has a chance to be special. A backcourt of him and Ashworth would be fun (vanilla splash brothers).
Last edited by AGGIEinIOWA on March 21st, 2022, 9:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » March 21st, 2022, 9:34 pm

We need more than 3 scholarships.
These users thanked the author slcagg for the post:
aggies22

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » March 21st, 2022, 9:45 pm

AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
March 21st, 2022, 9:33 pm
ineptimusprime wrote:

Thanks for these nuggets! Much appreciated.
Question. Isn't Horvath done for sure too, so we are losing at least 2 scholarship players? I guess that would still leave us with only minimum of 1 more open scholarship if they are counting Falslev as taking one of the 2 guaranteed openings. I'd be happy if both Bean and RJ come back but not counting on it. I have a hard time believing we won't have any others that are either counseled out or enter the portal though, so that 1-3 will likely end up being 1-5 (or 6) perhaps. I am excited for Falslev as I think he has a chance to be special. A backcourt of him and Ashworth would be fun (vanilla splash brothers).
Yes, Odom described it as Falslev filling Brock’s scholarship and them now recruiting to fill Horvath’s scholarship. My guess is he worded it this way because they are looking for a big to fill the current opening. Just a guess though.
Last edited by ineptimusprime on March 21st, 2022, 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » March 21st, 2022, 9:48 pm

I didn’t hear any forward-looking references to Thelissen, Dorius, or Potter. It could just be a coincidence, but I thought it worth noting.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » March 21st, 2022, 10:01 pm

slcagg wrote:
March 21st, 2022, 9:34 pm
We need more than 3 scholarships.
I’m with you. Just passing along what I heard without commentary. Again, it was Scottie G that made the comment. Odom never agreed or disagreed.

bpd

Post by bpd » March 21st, 2022, 10:35 pm

I think when is all said and done, we will have 5 more scholarships to fill.

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » March 21st, 2022, 10:43 pm

Yeah, if Odom is only looking at 1-3 then he is doing it wrong. 1-3 new players (including Falslev in that) will not be enough to make the kind of changes this squad needs to be competitive. We need 5-6 new guys with at least 4 ready to play major roles next season.

Pacobag

Post by Pacobag » March 21st, 2022, 10:56 pm

slcagg wrote:
March 21st, 2022, 7:52 pm
The court in that video looked familiar. I looked it up and realized I was actually there once watching my nephew play during a family visit to Roseville.

LarryTheAggie

Post by LarryTheAggie » March 22nd, 2022, 7:33 am

Aglicious wrote:
March 21st, 2022, 10:43 pm
Yeah, of Odom is only looking at 1-3 then he is doing it wrong. 1-3 new players (including Falslev in that) will not be enough to make the kind of changes this squad needs to be competitive. We need 5-6 new guys with at least 4 ready to play major roles next season.
Yes, and I am sure he knows that. But what is he suppose to say at this point? "We have 4 seniors, but some could come back for their covid year. And we have Falslev coming in, so Right now we only have 1 to 3 openings. BUT we are going to fill 5 scholarships." That seems like it would not go over well, despite what we fans want to hear.

Until other positions officially open up (which I am sure they will) I would expect Odom and scotty to keep saying between 1-3.

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » March 22nd, 2022, 7:52 am

I don't expect Odom to say anything until it is official with the player. I would assume that he has it within his staff what they have available and what they need. I would say this is a big year for Odom's future. If he hits a home run or two then we will be fine. If he sputters then he won't last many more seasons.
These users thanked the author NVAggie for the post:
LarryTheAggie

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » March 22nd, 2022, 8:57 am

ineptimusprime wrote:

Anything about Bairstow returning? Of all the available players to return to me he is the one with the biggest impact. His game was up and down this year, but overall he made a big step from last year. If he can figure out his 3 point shot he could be 13+ points per game player next year.

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » March 22nd, 2022, 9:07 am

I'm sure those counseling out sessions are happening as we speak.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » March 22nd, 2022, 9:11 am

Aggie84025 wrote:
March 22nd, 2022, 8:57 am
ineptimusprime wrote:

Anything about Bairstow returning? Of all the available players to return to me he is the one with the biggest impact. His game was up and down this year, but overall he made a big step from last year. If he can figure out his 3 point shot he could be 13+ points per game player next year.
Yes, absolutely. Big omission on my part. Odom mentioned Sean showing signs of becoming an all-conference player.
These users thanked the author ineptimusprime for the post (total 2):
hipsterdoofus21Aggie84025

Locked Previous topicNext topic