Jake Sampson - Umpqua CC

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly
Posts: 15402
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:17 pm
Location: Smithfield, Utah
Has thanked: 14848 times
Been thanked: 9170 times
Contact:

Re: Jake Sampson - Umpqua CC

Post by aggies22 » March 3rd, 2022, 11:29 am

To give you guys an idea has to the level of competition in this particular league, Alphonso Anderson and his former teammate and former Aggie commit Ray'quan Evans both played their JuCo ball in the same league. Both had HUGE JuCo seasons but found modest success at the next level.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post (total 2):
Pacobagslcagg



UStateTim
Posts: 503
Joined: November 26th, 2013, 7:35 pm
Has thanked: 30 times
Been thanked: 285 times

Re: Jake Sampson - Umpqua CC

Post by UStateTim » March 3rd, 2022, 3:59 pm

aggies22 wrote:
March 3rd, 2022, 11:29 am
To give you guys an idea has to the level of competition in this particular league, Alphonso Anderson and his former teammate and former Aggie commit Ray'quan Evans both played their JuCo ball in the same league. Both had HUGE JuCo seasons but found modest success at the next level.
Ray'quan is having modest success in the ACC. I watched a Florida St game a couple weeks ago and thought how nice it would be to have him on this team.



aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly
Posts: 15402
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:17 pm
Location: Smithfield, Utah
Has thanked: 14848 times
Been thanked: 9170 times
Contact:

Re: Jake Sampson - Umpqua CC

Post by aggies22 » March 3rd, 2022, 4:42 pm

UStateTim wrote:
March 3rd, 2022, 3:59 pm
aggies22 wrote:
March 3rd, 2022, 11:29 am
To give you guys an idea has to the level of competition in this particular league, Alphonso Anderson and his former teammate and former Aggie commit Ray'quan Evans both played their JuCo ball in the same league. Both had HUGE JuCo seasons but found modest success at the next level.
Ray'quan is having modest success in the ACC. I watched a Florida St game a couple weeks ago and thought how nice it would be to have him on this team.
That's exactly why I used the phrase "modest". Ray'quan is averaging 8 ppg, 2 boards and 2.8 assists.



UStateTim
Posts: 503
Joined: November 26th, 2013, 7:35 pm
Has thanked: 30 times
Been thanked: 285 times

Re: Jake Sampson - Umpqua CC

Post by UStateTim » March 3rd, 2022, 8:02 pm

aggies22 wrote:
March 3rd, 2022, 4:42 pm
UStateTim wrote:
March 3rd, 2022, 3:59 pm
aggies22 wrote:
March 3rd, 2022, 11:29 am
To give you guys an idea has to the level of competition in this particular league, Alphonso Anderson and his former teammate and former Aggie commit Ray'quan Evans both played their JuCo ball in the same league. Both had HUGE JuCo seasons but found modest success at the next level.
Ray'quan is having modest success in the ACC. I watched a Florida St game a couple weeks ago and thought how nice it would be to have him on this team.
That's exactly why I used the phrase "modest". Ray'quan is averaging 8 ppg, 2 boards and 2.8 assists.
Definitely modest numbers. I just used the ACC for context. I think he gets better numbers in the Mountain West
These users thanked the author UStateTim for the post:
aggies22



aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly
Posts: 15402
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:17 pm
Location: Smithfield, Utah
Has thanked: 14848 times
Been thanked: 9170 times
Contact:

Re: Jake Sampson - Umpqua CC

Post by aggies22 » March 3rd, 2022, 8:03 pm

UStateTim wrote:
March 3rd, 2022, 8:02 pm
aggies22 wrote:
March 3rd, 2022, 4:42 pm
UStateTim wrote:
March 3rd, 2022, 3:59 pm
aggies22 wrote:
March 3rd, 2022, 11:29 am
To give you guys an idea has to the level of competition in this particular league, Alphonso Anderson and his former teammate and former Aggie commit Ray'quan Evans both played their JuCo ball in the same league. Both had HUGE JuCo seasons but found modest success at the next level.
Ray'quan is having modest success in the ACC. I watched a Florida St game a couple weeks ago and thought how nice it would be to have him on this team.
That's exactly why I used the phrase "modest". Ray'quan is averaging 8 ppg, 2 boards and 2.8 assists.
Definitely modest numbers. I just used the ACC for context. I think he gets better numbers in the Mountain West
Gotcha. Yeah I think he'd be good for 12 ppg and maybe an extra board and assist.



User avatar
treesap32
Moderator
Posts: 15827
Joined: July 28th, 2005, 1:00 am
Location: Washington D.C.
Has thanked: 550 times
Been thanked: 1471 times
Contact:

Re: Jake Sampson - Umpqua CC

Post by treesap32 » March 4th, 2022, 11:06 am

I'd happily take another Alphonso Anderson or two next season. If this guy can provide that let's sign him up.
These users thanked the author treesap32 for the post:
LarryTheAggie



slcagg
Posts: 12011
Joined: December 15th, 2010, 6:29 pm
Has thanked: 3408 times
Been thanked: 2834 times

Re: Jake Sampson - Umpqua CC

Post by slcagg » March 4th, 2022, 1:04 pm

aggies22 wrote:
March 3rd, 2022, 11:29 am
To give you guys an idea has to the level of competition in this particular league, Alphonso Anderson and his former teammate and former Aggie commit Ray'quan Evans both played their JuCo ball in the same league. Both had HUGE JuCo seasons but found modest success at the next level.
I like both of those guys but I get it neither is a star at d1. But they both are solid. Anderson would have started for us if bean wasn’t here.

Here is a name I’ve seen getting a lot of recent buzz. 6’10” and skilled.

These users thanked the author slcagg for the post:
aggies22



aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly
Posts: 15402
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:17 pm
Location: Smithfield, Utah
Has thanked: 14848 times
Been thanked: 9170 times
Contact:

Re: Jake Sampson - Umpqua CC

Post by aggies22 » March 4th, 2022, 2:18 pm

treesap32 wrote:
March 4th, 2022, 11:06 am
I'd happily take another Alphonso Anderson or two next season. If this guy can provide that let's sign him up.
My point was I'm not sure he's that type of player.



User avatar
ShowMeAggie
Posts: 1008
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 9:43 am
Has thanked: 184 times
Been thanked: 210 times

Re: Jake Sampson - Umpqua CC

Post by ShowMeAggie » March 5th, 2022, 12:48 am

Pure shooting translates more easily or thoroughly from level to level than the games of Anderson or Evans, IMO. So what if he's not the quickest or the tallest, that's where his RANGE can come in handy... Just back up to get his shot off. And even if he doesn't but teams think he might, he's done his job to create spacing. I'm no NCAA scout but I say take a flyer on the kid. We DO need some shooting...

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

These users thanked the author ShowMeAggie for the post (total 2):
brownjeansFloridaAggie13



smfdaggie
Posts: 472
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 1:48 pm
Has thanked: 147 times
Been thanked: 118 times

Re: Jake Sampson - Umpqua CC

Post by smfdaggie » March 5th, 2022, 3:26 am

Jeff Hornacek was only 6'3 and not very athletic, but he could really shoot. Reid Newey also was a great shooter and not very athletic. I haven't seen Sampson play so I have no idea of his abilities or limitations. Could at least be worth a look. :noidea:
These users thanked the author smfdaggie for the post:
FloridaAggie13



slcagg
Posts: 12011
Joined: December 15th, 2010, 6:29 pm
Has thanked: 3408 times
Been thanked: 2834 times

Re: Jake Sampson - Umpqua CC

Post by slcagg » March 5th, 2022, 5:46 am

smfdaggie wrote:
March 5th, 2022, 3:26 am
Jeff Hornacek was only 6'3 and not very athletic, but he could really shoot. Reid Newey also was a great shooter and not very athletic. I haven't seen Sampson play so I have no idea of his abilities or limitations. Could at least be worth a look. :noidea:
I’m disappointed that the staff has been reached out to and they haven’t responded.



SeldomSeenSmith
Posts: 71
Joined: March 29th, 2021, 10:06 am
Has thanked: 10 times
Been thanked: 123 times

Re: Jake Sampson - Umpqua CC

Post by SeldomSeenSmith » March 5th, 2022, 7:28 am

When Anderson and Evans were at North Idaho and played in the NWAC, their team was undefeated and they regularly won their games by 30 points or more. Those two pretty much had their way with anyone in the league they went up against. The competition in the NWAC is weak, probably more like D2 or D3 NJCAA men's basketball, and competition does matter when making the transition from JC ball to D1.
These users thanked the author SeldomSeenSmith for the post:
aggies22



slcagg
Posts: 12011
Joined: December 15th, 2010, 6:29 pm
Has thanked: 3408 times
Been thanked: 2834 times

Re: Jake Sampson - Umpqua CC

Post by slcagg » March 5th, 2022, 7:46 am

SeldomSeenSmith wrote:
March 5th, 2022, 7:28 am
When Anderson and Evans were at North Idaho and played in the NWAC, their team was undefeated and they regularly won their games by 30 points or more. Those two pretty much had their way with anyone in the league they went up against. The competition in the NWAC is weak, probably more like D2 or D3 NJCAA men's basketball, and competition does matter when making the transition from JC ball to D1.
So are you saying playing at slcc the competition would be different than northern idaho?

Also would love to hear if you have any names you’d like to see us go after?
These users thanked the author slcagg for the post:
aggies22



User avatar
brownjeans
Flatulent
Posts: 17447
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 10:21 am
Has thanked: 760 times
Been thanked: 1412 times

Re: Jake Sampson - Umpqua CC

Post by brownjeans » March 5th, 2022, 7:55 am

SeldomSeenSmith wrote:
March 5th, 2022, 7:28 am
When Anderson and Evans were at North Idaho and played in the NWAC, their team was undefeated and they regularly won their games by 30 points or more. Those two pretty much had their way with anyone in the league they went up against. The competition in the NWAC is weak, probably more like D2 or D3 NJCAA men's basketball, and competition does matter when making the transition from JC ball to D1.
Is the basket the same height? Is the court the same size? Shooting an open shot doesn't change by level of competition. As for getting that open shot, it shouldn't all ride on the player, the coach and teammates play a role in that.

This team's biggest need is shooting. We need to recruit some guys who can hit from outside, because no one on the team can do it better than ~35%. Lack of shooting like that won't win a MWC championship.
These users thanked the author brownjeans for the post:
FloridaAggie13



FeartheFro
Posts: 1118
Joined: March 11th, 2013, 12:15 pm
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 288 times

Jake Sampson - Umpqua CC

Post by FeartheFro » March 5th, 2022, 9:41 am

I don’t know how his game would translate to the MW, but that’s not my job. I’m disappointed that we have a kid who is the son of Aggie parents that has demonstrated that he is an elite shooter and has heard nothing from Utah State. Is it not worth a look? As mentioned i have seen this kid play multiple times and he is as pure a shooter as I have ever seen in high school. He does have a lower release which has implications but it also leads to almost unlimited range. Kind of reminds me of the Jaycee situation and no one wanting to take a look based on level of competition. Let me be very clear, not saying he is a Jaycee type player, but let’s not write him off based on level of competition.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author FeartheFro for the post:
Aggie in Boise



Bank Shot
Posts: 1166
Joined: January 26th, 2019, 6:27 pm
Has thanked: 287 times
Been thanked: 500 times

Re: Jake Sampson - Umpqua CC

Post by Bank Shot » March 5th, 2022, 10:03 am

Just from what others have said that have seen him play, I wonder why USU hasn't even discussed walk-on status just to get the conversation going. The law firm of Bean, Porter and Taylor would advocate this.



ineptimusprime
Posts: 6098
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 12:07 pm
Has thanked: 303 times
Been thanked: 2939 times

Re: Jake Sampson - Umpqua CC

Post by ineptimusprime » March 5th, 2022, 10:08 am

I would definitely offer this kid a walk-on spot.



Bank Shot
Posts: 1166
Joined: January 26th, 2019, 6:27 pm
Has thanked: 287 times
Been thanked: 500 times

Re: Jake Sampson - Umpqua CC

Post by Bank Shot » March 5th, 2022, 10:20 am

ineptimusprime wrote:
March 5th, 2022, 10:08 am
I would definitely offer this kid a walk-on spot.
If you show some interest doesn't mean you have to offer. If something better comes up for that scholarship slot then you pass and maybe talk walk-on. Since he has some Aggie blood in him it might be an option. Ignoring just burns that bridge.
These users thanked the author Bank Shot for the post:
aggies22



ineptimusprime
Posts: 6098
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 12:07 pm
Has thanked: 303 times
Been thanked: 2939 times

Re: Jake Sampson - Umpqua CC

Post by ineptimusprime » March 5th, 2022, 10:27 am

Bank Shot wrote:
March 5th, 2022, 10:20 am
ineptimusprime wrote:
March 5th, 2022, 10:08 am
I would definitely offer this kid a walk-on spot.
If you show some interest doesn't mean you have to offer. If something better comes up for that scholarship slot then you pass and maybe talk walk-on. Since he has some Aggie blood in him it might be an option. Ignoring just burns that bridge.
I agree, I’d return the call. I’d be upfront that a scholarship probably isn’t on the table, but I’d definitely look at him for a walk-on spot and see what happens if he’s interested.

If he wants a scholarship, I think our pressing need for clear cut stars outweighs taking a flyer on a local kid. Just kinda is what it is.
Last edited by ineptimusprime on March 5th, 2022, 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author ineptimusprime for the post:
aggies22



slcagg
Posts: 12011
Joined: December 15th, 2010, 6:29 pm
Has thanked: 3408 times
Been thanked: 2834 times

Re: Jake Sampson - Umpqua CC

Post by slcagg » March 5th, 2022, 11:12 am

FeartheFro wrote:
March 5th, 2022, 9:41 am
I don’t know how his game would translate to the MW, but that’s not my job. I’m disappointed that we have a kid who is the son of Aggie parents that has demonstrated that he is an elite shooter and has heard nothing from Utah State. Is it not worth a look? As mentioned i have seen this kid play multiple times and he is as pure a shooter as I have ever seen in high school. He does have a lower release which has implications but it also leads to almost unlimited range. Kind of reminds me of the Jaycee situation and no one wanting to take a look based on level of competition. Let me be very clear, not saying he is a Jaycee type player, but let’s not write him off based on level of competition.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Exactly. We should at least return the phone call. But apparently the staff has been very busy recruiting even there has been no mention on any type of social media that I’ve seen.



bpd
Posts: 1555
Joined: November 4th, 2010, 10:12 pm
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 446 times

Re: Jake Sampson - Umpqua CC

Post by bpd » March 5th, 2022, 11:40 am

brownjeans wrote:
March 5th, 2022, 7:55 am
SeldomSeenSmith wrote:
March 5th, 2022, 7:28 am
When Anderson and Evans were at North Idaho and played in the NWAC, their team was undefeated and they regularly won their games by 30 points or more. Those two pretty much had their way with anyone in the league they went up against. The competition in the NWAC is weak, probably more like D2 or D3 NJCAA men's basketball, and competition does matter when making the transition from JC ball to D1.
Is the basket the same height? Is the court the same size? Shooting an open shot doesn't change by level of competition. As for getting that open shot, it shouldn't all ride on the player, the coach and teammates play a role in that.

This team's biggest need is shooting. We need to recruit some guys who can hit from outside, because no one on the team can do it better than ~35%. Lack of shooting like that won't win a MWC championship.
The teams biggest need next year is not shooting. It's a 5, probably followed by a 4, even though Bairstow can probably play the 4. A perimeter defender is also of need. Utah St is shooting close to 35% from 3 this year, which isn't elite, but it's not terrible.

Shooting is always needed, but if you can't get your own shot, then it doesn't matter. Remember Brian Greene was an elite shooter, but whenever we played athletic teams with a defensive mindset, they took him away (Go look at Brian Greene's numbers from the NCAA tournament).
These users thanked the author bpd for the post (total 2):
FloridaAggie13aggies22



FeartheFro
Posts: 1118
Joined: March 11th, 2013, 12:15 pm
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 288 times

Re: Jake Sampson - Umpqua CC

Post by FeartheFro » March 5th, 2022, 12:52 pm

bpd wrote:
brownjeans wrote:
March 5th, 2022, 7:55 am
SeldomSeenSmith wrote:
March 5th, 2022, 7:28 am
When Anderson and Evans were at North Idaho and played in the NWAC, their team was undefeated and they regularly won their games by 30 points or more. Those two pretty much had their way with anyone in the league they went up against. The competition in the NWAC is weak, probably more like D2 or D3 NJCAA men's basketball, and competition does matter when making the transition from JC ball to D1.
Is the basket the same height? Is the court the same size? Shooting an open shot doesn't change by level of competition. As for getting that open shot, it shouldn't all ride on the player, the coach and teammates play a role in that.

This team's biggest need is shooting. We need to recruit some guys who can hit from outside, because no one on the team can do it better than ~35%. Lack of shooting like that won't win a MWC championship.
The teams biggest need next year is not shooting. It's a 5, probably followed by a 4, even though Bairstow can probably play the 4. A perimeter defender is also of need. Utah St is shooting close to 35% from 3 this year, which isn't elite, but it's not terrible.

Shooting is always needed, but if you can't get your own shot, then it doesn't matter. Remember Brian Greene was an elite shooter, but whenever we played athletic teams with a defensive mindset, they took him away (Go look at Brian Greene's numbers from the NCAA tournament).
I agree with everything you have said, but again why not at least have a conversation. Sampson’s family may be in a position financially that walking on would not be a huge issue, I don’t know. I do know that walk-ons at utah state have been given a fair look to prove themselves. As far as Brian Greene goes, I would LOVE to have some years of Brian Greene again.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk



bpd
Posts: 1555
Joined: November 4th, 2010, 10:12 pm
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 446 times

Re: Jake Sampson - Umpqua CC

Post by bpd » March 5th, 2022, 4:31 pm

FeartheFro wrote:
March 5th, 2022, 12:52 pm
bpd wrote:
brownjeans wrote:
March 5th, 2022, 7:55 am
SeldomSeenSmith wrote:
March 5th, 2022, 7:28 am
When Anderson and Evans were at North Idaho and played in the NWAC, their team was undefeated and they regularly won their games by 30 points or more. Those two pretty much had their way with anyone in the league they went up against. The competition in the NWAC is weak, probably more like D2 or D3 NJCAA men's basketball, and competition does matter when making the transition from JC ball to D1.
Is the basket the same height? Is the court the same size? Shooting an open shot doesn't change by level of competition. As for getting that open shot, it shouldn't all ride on the player, the coach and teammates play a role in that.

This team's biggest need is shooting. We need to recruit some guys who can hit from outside, because no one on the team can do it better than ~35%. Lack of shooting like that won't win a MWC championship.
The teams biggest need next year is not shooting. It's a 5, probably followed by a 4, even though Bairstow can probably play the 4. A perimeter defender is also of need. Utah St is shooting close to 35% from 3 this year, which isn't elite, but it's not terrible.

Shooting is always needed, but if you can't get your own shot, then it doesn't matter. Remember Brian Greene was an elite shooter, but whenever we played athletic teams with a defensive mindset, they took him away (Go look at Brian Greene's numbers from the NCAA tournament).
I agree with everything you have said, but again why not at least have a conversation. Sampson’s family may be in a position financially that walking on would not be a huge issue, I don’t know. I do know that walk-ons at utah state have been given a fair look to prove themselves. As far as Brian Greene goes, I would LOVE to have some years of Brian Greene again.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I agree, we should call him back and probably offer him a walk on spot. But it’s not my major concern. I’m still trying to figure out why recruiting has been dead silent.



User avatar
AggiesForever
Pick'em Champ - '15 Kickoff
Posts: 2266
Joined: January 1st, 1997, 12:00 am
Has thanked: 856 times
Been thanked: 602 times

Re: Jake Sampson - Umpqua CC

Post by AggiesForever » March 5th, 2022, 5:50 pm

bpd wrote:
February 28th, 2022, 12:58 pm
My major concerns. Can he get his own shot? Can he defend at an elite level?
If he cannot do both of the things mentioned here, I'm afraid, from my perspective only, that he cannot play in the Mountain West Conference. This conference is not the Big West or the WAC, where "one trick pony" guards can play and succeed. In the Mountain West and higher leagues, if you're going to play 2-guard or wing, you must be able to create your own shot and defend the perimeter. If one cannot do that, he will have faster, quicker guards constantly blow by you on offense and block your shots on defense. We've seen a little of that this year.

At point guard, you can get by with that a little bit, especially if your primary role is passing and driving. A PG needs to be able to hit the three when left open, but their primary role is running the offense. A two guard/wing has to be athletic enough to defend the position and create enough space to get his shot off. Players like Brock Miller, who are basically a spot up and shoot person, probably arent going to be much more than a role player in seasons to come, the game is evolving that fast. A walk-on spot, as has been suggested, would be the appropriate route to go to see if he has enough of a game to earn a scholarship.

A comparison of a player on this years team who is a walk-on is Travis Wagstaff. Travis was a starting forward for Snow College last year, which plays throughout the country. He scored 16 points a game and grabbed about 5 rebounds a game. He walked on this year at USU and is getting some minutes, though not very many. He may or may not have a role on the team next year-- that will be decided after the season ends when Coach Odom has a sit-down heart to heart with every returning player on the team. Some will decide they just don't want to stick around next year for the kind of role they are going to have. This coaching staff has made a determination it needs to get more physical and athletic.

Of course I am not a coach or talent evaluator. This is simply my opinion.



SeldomSeenSmith
Posts: 71
Joined: March 29th, 2021, 10:06 am
Has thanked: 10 times
Been thanked: 123 times

Re: Jake Sampson - Umpqua CC

Post by SeldomSeenSmith » March 5th, 2022, 7:16 pm

FeartheFro wrote:
March 5th, 2022, 9:41 am
I don’t know how his game would translate to the MW, but that’s not my job. I’m disappointed that we have a kid who is the son of Aggie parents that has demonstrated that he is an elite shooter and has heard nothing from Utah State. Is it not worth a look? As mentioned i have seen this kid play multiple times and he is as pure a shooter as I have ever seen in high school. He does have a lower release which has implications but it also leads to almost unlimited range. Kind of reminds me of the Jaycee situation and no one wanting to take a look based on level of competition. Let me be very clear, not saying he is a Jaycee type player, but let’s not write him off based on level of competition.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
USU basketball needs players who play at, and can win, at the top level of the MWC, at least. They need players who have a complete skill set, or as close as possible to complete, for the positions they play, not players who are one dimensional. If Sampson is someone who can play at the D1 level and do more than just shoot the ball, great. If he isn't then he shouldn't be offered a scholarship or a walk on spot regardless of who his parents are.

But still, better competition can and does make athletes better, and does prepare JC players to more easily transition to D1 ball. I'm pretty sure that no one on here has claimed that Sampson should be ignored because of poor competition. And, I doubt if you could find a case of anyone passing on Jaycee Carroll because of it either, or saying that he should have been. What do they call those? Straw man arguments?
These users thanked the author SeldomSeenSmith for the post:
aggies22



User avatar
Roy McAvoy
Posts: 6665
Joined: November 2nd, 2011, 1:30 pm
Has thanked: 838 times
Been thanked: 1963 times

Re: Jake Sampson - Umpqua CC

Post by Roy McAvoy » March 5th, 2022, 7:29 pm

SSS, are you as still as tuned in to the JC scene as you used to be?

Are there any JC guys you’ve seen or noticed that you think USU should be offering?

It’s nice to have you back posting around here. I wish you would stop by more often!
These users thanked the author Roy McAvoy for the post:
aggies22



SeldomSeenSmith
Posts: 71
Joined: March 29th, 2021, 10:06 am
Has thanked: 10 times
Been thanked: 123 times

Re: Jake Sampson - Umpqua CC

Post by SeldomSeenSmith » March 5th, 2022, 7:32 pm

slcagg wrote:
March 5th, 2022, 7:46 am
SeldomSeenSmith wrote:
March 5th, 2022, 7:28 am
When Anderson and Evans were at North Idaho and played in the NWAC, their team was undefeated and they regularly won their games by 30 points or more. Those two pretty much had their way with anyone in the league they went up against. The competition in the NWAC is weak, probably more like D2 or D3 NJCAA men's basketball, and competition does matter when making the transition from JC ball to D1.
So are you saying playing at slcc the competition would be different than northern idaho?

Also would love to hear if you have any names you’d like to see us go after?
Well, no, I didn't say that, but I will now. SLCC has beaten the #6 and #8 teams in the NJCAA this year. They've also beaten the #12 team 4 times, and the #17 team 2 out of 3. So yeah, the competition that SLCC has played, and beaten this year, is better than any team in the NWAC by far. Not even close.
These users thanked the author SeldomSeenSmith for the post (total 2):
aggies22FloridaAggie13



FeartheFro
Posts: 1118
Joined: March 11th, 2013, 12:15 pm
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 288 times

Re: Jake Sampson - Umpqua CC

Post by FeartheFro » March 5th, 2022, 7:38 pm

Dude, not looking for a fight. You are actually the one that brought up level of competition in the JC league he plays in. How do you explain Jaycee not being recruited? Are you telling me that if Jaycee would have put up the numbers he did in Utah at the 6A classification he would have gone unrecruited? I don’t believe so. The fact that he did it in Evanston Wyoming absolutely played into his lack of recruitment. I must not understand the meaning of “straw man” argument. Are you saying the Wikizer kid being a walk on has nothing to do with who his dad is? Odom’s son on the team has nothing to do with who his dad is? Tann Tueller playing at Utah state had nothing to do with who his dad is? I’ve never said the kid should be offered a scholarship, but absolutely believe he should be contacted about walking on. He is an elite shooter and has proved it for a number of years. Have you seen him play? I don’t understand the tone of your post. I have always enjoyed your posts and insights and was quite confused by your response.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk



slcagg
Posts: 12011
Joined: December 15th, 2010, 6:29 pm
Has thanked: 3408 times
Been thanked: 2834 times

Re: Jake Sampson - Umpqua CC

Post by slcagg » March 5th, 2022, 7:41 pm

SeldomSeenSmith wrote:
March 5th, 2022, 7:32 pm
slcagg wrote:
March 5th, 2022, 7:46 am
SeldomSeenSmith wrote:
March 5th, 2022, 7:28 am
When Anderson and Evans were at North Idaho and played in the NWAC, their team was undefeated and they regularly won their games by 30 points or more. Those two pretty much had their way with anyone in the league they went up against. The competition in the NWAC is weak, probably more like D2 or D3 NJCAA men's basketball, and competition does matter when making the transition from JC ball to D1.
So are you saying playing at slcc the competition would be different than northern idaho?

Also would love to hear if you have any names you’d like to see us go after?
Well, no, I didn't say that, but I will now. SLCC has beaten the #6 and #8 teams in the NJCAA this year. They've also beaten the #12 team 4 times, and the #17 team 2 out of 3. So yeah, the competition that SLCC has played, and beaten this year, is better than any team in the NWAC by far. Not even close.
Well you had me.

What do you think of doc Bradley and Quincy mcgriff?
These users thanked the author slcagg for the post:
aggies22



SeldomSeenSmith
Posts: 71
Joined: March 29th, 2021, 10:06 am
Has thanked: 10 times
Been thanked: 123 times

Re: Jake Sampson - Umpqua CC

Post by SeldomSeenSmith » March 6th, 2022, 7:45 am

FeartheFro wrote:
March 5th, 2022, 7:38 pm
Dude, not looking for a fight. You are actually the one that brought up level of competition in the JC league he plays in. How do you explain Jaycee not being recruited? Are you telling me that if Jaycee would have put up the numbers he did in Utah at the 6A classification he would have gone unrecruited? I don’t believe so. The fact that he did it in Evanston Wyoming absolutely played into his lack of recruitment. I must not understand the meaning of “straw man” argument. Are you saying the Wikizer kid being a walk on has nothing to do with who his dad is? Odom’s son on the team has nothing to do with who his dad is? Tann Tueller playing at Utah state had nothing to do with who his dad is? I’ve never said the kid should be offered a scholarship, but absolutely believe he should be contacted about walking on. He is an elite shooter and has proved it for a number of years. Have you seen him play? I don’t understand the tone of your post. I have always enjoyed your posts and insights and was quite confused by your response.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm not looking for an argument, but you keep misquoting me. I didn't bring up level of competition, Aggies22 did, and I'm glad he did, because it's one of the things that are considered, and should be, in player evaluation. I didn't say Sampson shouldn't be contacted. If he's a D1 level player I'm all for it. I said if he isn't a D1 player he shouldn't have a walk on spot or scholarship.I didn't say that it doesn't happen, I know it does, I said that it shouldn't.

I have no idea why Carroll was overlooked, and couldn't say for sure, but I doubt whether it was based on level of competition. Being overlooked because of playing in Evanston is a location/exposure thing, not a competition thing. But I'm pretty sure he played AAU ball and had plenty of exposure. More likely other things were the reasons, but I'm not going to speculate on that or whether he would have been recruited more if he played in Utah 6A. I don't even know how he got into this discussion. So don't look at it as me looking for a fight, just stating my opinion.
Last edited by SeldomSeenSmith on March 6th, 2022, 7:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
These users thanked the author SeldomSeenSmith for the post:
aggies22



SeldomSeenSmith
Posts: 71
Joined: March 29th, 2021, 10:06 am
Has thanked: 10 times
Been thanked: 123 times

Re: Jake Sampson - Umpqua CC

Post by SeldomSeenSmith » March 6th, 2022, 7:50 am

Roy McAvoy wrote:
March 5th, 2022, 7:29 pm
SSS, are you as still as tuned in to the JC scene as you used to be?

Are there any JC guys you’ve seen or noticed that you think USU should be offering?

It’s nice to have you back posting around here. I wish you would stop by more often!
JC players haven't had the same impact on Aggie basketball since USU joined the MW. They used to be a big part of it, not so much now, and it doesn't look that that's going to change. Probably because the pool of JC players who can play at this level is much smaller than the pool of those who could play in the BW. Maybe because of the portal. Anyway, because of that, I don't follow it nearly as much. There isn't a need to.
These users thanked the author SeldomSeenSmith for the post:
aggies22



NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.
Posts: 20643
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:09 am
Location: Where the sagebrush grows!
Has thanked: 1180 times
Been thanked: 1770 times

Re: Jake Sampson - Umpqua CC

Post by NVAggie » March 6th, 2022, 7:52 am

In Odom we trust…right?



User avatar
brownjeans
Flatulent
Posts: 17447
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 10:21 am
Has thanked: 760 times
Been thanked: 1412 times

Re: Jake Sampson - Umpqua CC

Post by brownjeans » March 6th, 2022, 7:56 am

bpd wrote:
March 5th, 2022, 11:40 am
brownjeans wrote:
March 5th, 2022, 7:55 am
SeldomSeenSmith wrote:
March 5th, 2022, 7:28 am
When Anderson and Evans were at North Idaho and played in the NWAC, their team was undefeated and they regularly won their games by 30 points or more. Those two pretty much had their way with anyone in the league they went up against. The competition in the NWAC is weak, probably more like D2 or D3 NJCAA men's basketball, and competition does matter when making the transition from JC ball to D1.
Is the basket the same height? Is the court the same size? Shooting an open shot doesn't change by level of competition. As for getting that open shot, it shouldn't all ride on the player, the coach and teammates play a role in that.

This team's biggest need is shooting. We need to recruit some guys who can hit from outside, because no one on the team can do it better than ~35%. Lack of shooting like that won't win a MWC championship.
The teams biggest need next year is not shooting. It's a 5, probably followed by a 4, even though Bairstow can probably play the 4. A perimeter defender is also of need. Utah St is shooting close to 35% from 3 this year, which isn't elite, but it's not terrible.

Shooting is always needed, but if you can't get your own shot, then it doesn't matter. Remember Brian Greene was an elite shooter, but whenever we played athletic teams with a defensive mindset, they took him away (Go look at Brian Greene's numbers from the NCAA tournament).
I disagree. Even if we get a five, a four, and a perimeter defender for next year, we'll only be about as good as this year's team, unless we upgrade our ability to shoot.



Aggie19
Posts: 1540
Joined: November 2nd, 2018, 7:52 am
Has thanked: 1569 times
Been thanked: 998 times

Re: Jake Sampson - Umpqua CC

Post by Aggie19 » March 6th, 2022, 7:57 am

SeldomSeenSmith wrote:
March 6th, 2022, 7:45 am
FeartheFro wrote:
March 5th, 2022, 7:38 pm
Dude, not looking for a fight. You are actually the one that brought up level of competition in the JC league he plays in. How do you explain Jaycee not being recruited? Are you telling me that if Jaycee would have put up the numbers he did in Utah at the 6A classification he would have gone unrecruited? I don’t believe so. The fact that he did it in Evanston Wyoming absolutely played into his lack of recruitment. I must not understand the meaning of “straw man” argument. Are you saying the Wikizer kid being a walk on has nothing to do with who his dad is? Odom’s son on the team has nothing to do with who his dad is? Tann Tueller playing at Utah state had nothing to do with who his dad is? I’ve never said the kid should be offered a scholarship, but absolutely believe he should be contacted about walking on. He is an elite shooter and has proved it for a number of years. Have you seen him play? I don’t understand the tone of your post. I have always enjoyed your posts and insights and was quite confused by your response.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm not looking for an argument, but you keep misquoting me. I didn't bring up level of competition, Aggies22 did, and I'm glad he did, because it's one of the things that are considered, and should be, in player evaluation. I didn't say Sampson shouldn't be contacted. If he's a D1 level player I'm all for it. I said if he isn't a D1 player he shouldn't have a walk on spot or scholarship.I didn't say that it doesn't happen, I know it does, I said that it shouldn't.

I have no idea why Carroll was overlooked, and couldn't say for sure, but I doubt whether it was based on level of competition. Being overlooked because of playing in Evanston is a location/exposure thing, not a competition thing. But I'm pretty sure he played AAU ball and had plenty of exposure. More likely other things were the reasons, but I'm not going to speculate on that or whether he would have been recruited more if he played in Utah 6A. I don't even know how he got into this discussion. So don't look at it as me looking for a fight, just stating my opinion.
FWIW, I think Jaycee was recruited plenty, not sure where the "overlooked" came from, but....

Image

https://247sports.com/college/utah-stat ... 104035392/


Go Aggies!

FeartheFro
Posts: 1118
Joined: March 11th, 2013, 12:15 pm
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 288 times

Re: Jake Sampson - Umpqua CC

Post by FeartheFro » March 6th, 2022, 8:05 am

My bad SSS, you didn’t bring up the level of competition of the league Jake plays in, you just confirmed it. So do you think it is a good thing for a staff to not even take the time to respond to a kids email that wants to play at Utah state, is an elite 6’3 shooter and is the child of USU alumni? Give me a negative of USU responding. It is not a good look. Say this kid goes on to have even a semi-successful D1 career, what kind of message does this send?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author FeartheFro for the post:
Aggie in Boise



Locked Previous topicNext topic