The MWC

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Stockypoo2212

The MWC

Post by Stockypoo2212 » January 19th, 2022, 9:39 am

Guys the mountain west is just so darn good this year. We've played some of the tougher teams in the conference and we have been in and competed in every game. The ball just didn't bounce our way in the Wyoming, Fresno or air force game. Those are games we should have won. But remember we are doing this without RJER and Brock Miller (who isn't coming back) those 2 could really stretch the floor and get us better shots. I think all of us are missing those 2 players right now. But we need Shulga and Bairstow to step up. Keep having hope Aggie fans! We will win, the MWC is just very tough.
These users thanked the author Stockypoo2212 for the post (total 2):
flying_scotsman2.0vegasaggie

Mr. Sneelock

Re: The MWC

Post by Mr. Sneelock » January 19th, 2022, 10:09 am

Shooting 16% from 3 and under 60% from the FT line is more than the ball just not bouncing our way. That is just bad shooting.
These users thanked the author Mr. Sneelock for the post (total 2):
aggies22vegasaggie

Formerly TulsAGGIE

aggieborn

Post by aggieborn » January 19th, 2022, 10:09 am

Stockypoo2212 wrote:
January 19th, 2022, 9:39 am
Guys the mountain west is just so darn good this year. We've played some of the tougher teams in the conference and we have been in and competed in every game. The ball just didn't bounce our way in the Wyoming, Fresno or air force game. Those are games we should have won. But remember we are doing this without RJER and Brock Miller (who isn't coming back) those 2 could really stretch the floor and get us better shots. I think all of us are missing those 2 players right now. But we need Shulga and Bairstow to step up. Keep having hope Aggie fans! We will win, the MWC is just very tough.
People are being way too negative on the board and I believe too harsh on Odom, but I don’t see how RJ helps us win. Being competitive and losing isn’t good enough that doesn’t show up in any stat or ranking or build any excitement. The conference is competitive but why does that mean we can’t win it’s not like Air Force a top 50 NET team and if everyone else has raised their level of play why is it okay for us to fall behind. I hope and believe the guards will find the 3 ball and start winning but we’re running out of time. Reminder that this is a roster problem constructed by Smith and not Odom
These users thanked the author aggieborn for the post (total 2):
flying_scotsman2.0vegasaggie

Mr. Sneelock

Post by Mr. Sneelock » January 19th, 2022, 10:15 am

aggieborn wrote:
January 19th, 2022, 10:09 am
Stockypoo2212 wrote:
People are being way too negative on the board and I believe too harsh on Odom, but I don’t see how RJ helps us win. Being competitive and losing isn’t good enough that doesn’t show up in any stat or ranking or build any excitement. The conference is competitive but why does that mean we can’t win it’s not like Air Force a top 50 NET team and if everyone else has raised their level of play why is it okay for us to fall behind. I hope and believe the guards will find the 3 ball and start winning but we’re running out of time. Reminder that this is a roster problem constructed by Smith and not Odom
It is most definitely a roster problem.

Before the season started I made a comment to the effect that although I really liked him, if Justin Bean is our best player, we will likely struggle. Bean has turned out to be much better this year than I expected, but I think the point remains. We just don't have much talent. While Bean is better than I expected, others are worse. Much, much worse.

Formerly TulsAGGIE

Stockypoo2212

Post by Stockypoo2212 » January 19th, 2022, 10:35 am

Mr. Sneelock wrote:
Shooting 16% from 3 and under 60% from the FT line is more than the ball just not bouncing our way. That is just bad shooting.
The ft shooting is very poor. But our threes are not very open threes that's why we miss Brock and RJER because they stretch out the defense and helps us get open shots

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » January 19th, 2022, 10:54 am

Stockypoo2212 wrote:
January 19th, 2022, 10:35 am
Mr. Sneelock wrote:
The ft shooting is very poor. But our threes are not very open threes that's why we miss Brock and RJER because they stretch out the defense and helps us get open shots
I disagree. I think we get a lot of open threes. And I think that is by design. Opposing defenses have clued in that we cannot shoot. They sag to protect against the drive and dare us to shoot. Watch how they defend the high screens - the defender always goes underneath the screen leaving the dribbler open at the three point line if he wants to shoot. If they felt we were a threat to shoot (and make) the three, they would go over the top of the screen more and stay closer to the dribbler. They defend the drive and dish and dare us to shoot the three.
These users thanked the author Yossarian for the post:
aggies22

Eutaw St. Aggie

utaggies

Post by utaggies » January 19th, 2022, 10:58 am

How does RJ stretch out the floor? He’s a drive-and-dish 2-guard who averages only 2.5 three-point attempts per game, htting 34% of them.
These users thanked the author utaggies for the post:
aggies22

LarryTheAggie

Post by LarryTheAggie » January 19th, 2022, 11:03 am

Mr. Sneelock wrote:
January 19th, 2022, 10:15 am
aggieborn wrote:
Stockypoo2212 wrote:
It is most definitely a roster problem.

Before the season started I made a comment to the effect that although I really liked him, if Justin Bean is our best player, we will likely struggle. Bean has turned out to be much better this year than I expected, but I think the point remains. We just don't have much talent. While Bean is better than I expected, others are worse. Much, much worse.
I agree to a point about Bean. But the problem is not Bean being the best player, it's him being the number 1 scoring option.

It is kind of like Gobert is the best/most important player for the Jazz, but if he was the Number 1 or 2 scoring option the Jazz would be in trouble.

Stockypoo2212

Post by Stockypoo2212 » January 19th, 2022, 11:09 am

utaggies wrote:
January 19th, 2022, 10:58 am
How does RJ stretch out the floor? He’s a drive-and-dish 2-guard who averages only 2.5 three-point attempts per game, htting 34% of them.
Because he's still a threat to score on the drive. It pulls defenders in and it allows him to kick it to an open man

Edit: I know they are different players and have a different build but think of Giannis on the Bucks. He is not a three point shooter but he has so much gravity on the offense that it allows him to kick it to Middleton and others on the team to take open threes
Last edited by Stockypoo2212 on January 19th, 2022, 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Stockypoo2212

Post by Stockypoo2212 » January 19th, 2022, 11:11 am

Yossarian wrote:
January 19th, 2022, 10:54 am
Stockypoo2212 wrote:
January 19th, 2022, 10:35 am
Mr. Sneelock wrote:
I disagree. I think we get a lot of open threes. And I think that is by design. Opposing defenses have clued in that we cannot shoot. They sag to protect against the drive and dare us to shoot. Watch how they defend the high screens - the defender always goes underneath the screen leaving the dribbler open at the three point line if he wants to shoot. If they felt we were a threat to shoot (and make) the three, they would go over the top of the screen more and stay closer to the dribbler. They defend the drive and dish and dare us to shoot the three.
We were towards the top of the NCAA in 3 pt % before conference games started. And we haven't been completely healthy since conference started.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » January 19th, 2022, 11:40 am

Mr. Sneelock wrote:
It is very bad shooting. Even with the horrible shooting, in our 4 conference losses we have been within 1 possession in the final minute. Certainly the team needs to make adjustments, but the team the way it is currently constructed is being competitive in these games, but just needs to find a way to get over the hump and make one more play.
These users thanked the author Aggie84025 for the post:
Stockypoo2212

utaggies

Post by utaggies » January 19th, 2022, 3:20 pm

Stockypoo2212 wrote:
January 19th, 2022, 11:09 am
utaggies wrote:
January 19th, 2022, 10:58 am
Because he's still a threat to score on the drive. It pulls defenders in and it allows him to kick it to an open man

Edit: I know they are different players and have a different build but think of Giannis on the Bucks. He is not a three point shooter but he has so much gravity on the offense that it allows him to kick it to Middleton and others on the team to take open threes
Huh? “Stretching the floor” refers to drawing defenders away from the basket not towards the basket. Good 3-point shooting teams stretch the floor and allow a big to roam around the key. RJ does not stretch the floor. His defender backs off and tries to keep him from penetrating knowing that he is a minimal risk at shooting and making a 3-pointer.

Bank Shot

Post by Bank Shot » January 28th, 2022, 8:04 pm

Halftime: UNLV 43
CSU 25

Hamilton 21 pts.......Roddy 3

There's the 18 pt difference

slcagg

Post by slcagg » January 28th, 2022, 9:46 pm

Honestly we need the teams currently at the top to beat teams like unlv if we want a shot at a first round bye. And one of the teams at the top to start losing.

Locked Previous topicNext topic