Aggies have the yips

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
feeah

Aggies have the yips

Post by feeah » January 19th, 2022, 8:39 am

Yips is generally a term used in golf when good players inexplicably can't putt any more, start missing 3 and 4 footers all the time.

The aggies have this from the 3 point line, we have good 3 point shooters but the whole team has the yips.

The team has lost their confidence from the 3 point line, not sure what the solution is though. Probably need to keep shooting them until they start falling.
These users thanked the author feeah for the post (total 2):
aggies22flying_scotsman2.0

treesap32

Re: Aggies have the yips

Post by treesap32 » January 19th, 2022, 8:44 am

They also have the yips from the FT line. Especially in pressure situations (i.e. end of the game or front end of 1-and-1's).
These users thanked the author treesap32 for the post:
flying_scotsman2.0

Elkaggie

Post by Elkaggie » January 19th, 2022, 8:49 am

treesap32 wrote:
January 19th, 2022, 8:44 am
They also have the yips from the FT line. Especially in pressure situations (i.e. end of the game or front end of 1-and-1's).
Yip

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » January 19th, 2022, 9:05 am

Shooting is equal parts mechanical and mental. Most people spend a lot of time on the mechanical aspects of shooting. Those who can master the muscle memory and mechanics are good shooters. To be a great shooter, you often hear about the killer instinct. A belief in one's self that every shot is going to fall. We have a lot of good shooters, but not a single great shooter on this team is to be found.

I have found that there are reset mechanisms that you can implement in your shooting warmups or practices that may help. There should be spots on the court one can go to that will reset your mental game. I always like the free throw extensions. I can hit that shot well above 50% in any manner in a warmup.
These users thanked the author NVAggie for the post:
FloridaAggie13

UStateTim

Post by UStateTim » January 19th, 2022, 9:35 am

I feel like Horvath has this specifically from the foul line. He just needs to just get the ball and shoot, rather than stare so much. I loved watching Merrill’s routine of one dribble, spin the ball, and shoot. Or he can adopt the Rick Barry granny shot method
These users thanked the author UStateTim for the post:
troutputz

Mr. Sneelock

Post by Mr. Sneelock » January 19th, 2022, 10:19 am

NVAggie wrote:
January 19th, 2022, 9:05 am
Shooting is equal parts mechanical and mental. Most people spend a lot of time on the mechanical aspects of shooting. Those who can master the muscle memory and mechanics are good shooters. To be a great shooter, you often hear about the killer instinct. A belief in one's self that every shot is going to fall. We have a lot of good shooters, but not a single great shooter on this team is to be found.

I have found that there are reset mechanisms that you can implement in your shooting warmups or practices that may help. There should be spots on the court one can go to that will reset your mental game. I always like the free throw extensions. I can hit that shot well above 50% in any manner in a warmup.
Do you have eligibility left? We could probably use a guy like you.
These users thanked the author Mr. Sneelock for the post (total 2):
FloridaAggie13troutputz

Formerly TulsAGGIE

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » January 19th, 2022, 12:14 pm

NVAggie wrote:

Earlier in the year Horvath had a really good looking outside shot. Great rhythm, mechanics and a lot of confidence. His FT misses weren't clunkers, just rim outs or a little short. Now, the ball hits the rim like a five lb cannon ball shot at close range.

Over the years I've heard great shooters such as Reggie Miller, etc., talk about getting out of a shooting slump by getting to the free throw line where they can regain confidence and groove their shot with some uncontested fifteen footers.

Then, we get to the line and...well...

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » January 19th, 2022, 12:15 pm

The whole team needs to get laid.
These users thanked the author FloridaAggie13 for the post (total 2):
treesap32vegasaggie

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » January 19th, 2022, 12:18 pm

Mr. Sneelock wrote:
January 19th, 2022, 10:19 am
NVAggie wrote:

Do you have eligibility left? We could probably use a guy like you.
I'm well beyond my useful years, but I can bury that shot off the bounce, off the pass, right or left, fade away, all day.
These users thanked the author NVAggie for the post:
FloridaAggie13

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » January 19th, 2022, 12:26 pm

It's not the yips - I don't think the Aggies have good three point shooters.

How many players have shot more than 50 threes and hit more than 35% of their threes in their career?

3 - and one of those three is someone we likely think isn't a good shooter. One who we think is a good shooter is below 35%. We have to have more players who can hit a 3.

Coloraggie

Post by Coloraggie » January 20th, 2022, 2:03 pm

Yet at the beginning of the year I kept reading we wouldn't go through scoring slumps because our 3pt shooting was so much better this year than last. Those comments did not age well.

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » January 20th, 2022, 2:11 pm

The Yips - they happen

Horvath looks like Joakim Noah lately

Eutaw St. Aggie

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » January 20th, 2022, 2:18 pm

Coloraggie wrote:
January 20th, 2022, 2:03 pm
Yet at the beginning of the year I kept reading we wouldn't go through scoring slumps because our 3pt shooting was so much better this year than last. Those comments did not age well.
I was in that boat, that was one of the things that drove me nut with Smith's team is the long scoring droughts. In conference play our scoring droughts have been just as bad or worse. It is maddening, hopefully they start to revert back to better shooting.

Locked Previous topicNext topic