Defense

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
bpd

Defense

Post by bpd » January 16th, 2022, 12:38 am

I know we are struggling shooting the ball from 3 since Miller is out. That is a major problem. But he biggest problem is defense. To have good defense you need 3 things.
1. A well coached scheme and plan.
2. Desire
3. Lateral quickness by many of the players.

I don’t think we have any of these 3 right now. As SSaggie pointed out in another thread, the schemes are poor and don’t make sense. There needs to be better coaching.
There is desire by some players, but not all. Horvath is not a 5, but he also lacks desire to be a good defender and discipline. He isn’t the only one, but he the most obvious. He just does whatever he wants to out there in
On D.
We get beat off the dribble time after time. Rylan Jones has the desire and takes charges, but he gets beat all the time. All of our guys get beat off the dribble, all of them. We are too slow. Last year, Queta would make up for it. But we also had Marco. If we still had Marco, Maldonado would have been shut down. But we don’t. We don’t have Pooh Williams or Cardell Butler or Toraino Johnson Or Tyler Newbold. We lack quickness at all 5 positions.

Wyoming shot 57% in the second half tonight. Yes, we could shoot better, but if we play defense and Wes still shoot (I can't express myself without swearing), we still win.