One advantage of renovating the Spectrum

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
GameFAQSAggie

One advantage of renovating the Spectrum

Post by GameFAQSAggie » January 15th, 2022, 11:16 pm

Depending on how much we gut the Spectrum and if we need a temporary home while the Spectrum is under renovation, we would have an excuse to have Weber's arena be our home for a season, where there is just something about the baskets that our guys can shoot better than even the Spectrum. Particularly Ashworth.

Bigd23
Has thanked: 0

Re: One advantage of renovating the Spectrum

Post by Bigd23 » January 16th, 2022, 1:41 pm

If we're at 60-80% attendance for games at the Spectrum locally, how many fans would attend games at Weber and what would the student section (Hurd) be like? In playing there I don't know that we would have nearly the same home court atmosphere and advantage.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » January 16th, 2022, 5:42 pm

Bigd23 wrote:
January 16th, 2022, 1:41 pm
If we're at 60-80% attendance for games at the Spectrum locally, how many fans would attend games at Weber and what would the student section (Hurd) be like? In playing there I don't know that we would have nearly the same home court atmosphere and advantage.

But getting better shooting from Ashworth there to offset the fewer fans we get to the games. The fans we get in the Spectrum can't help Ashworth shoot 7-11 from three.

Another idea, since BYU is looking for any excuse to avoid coming to the Spectrum, why not move the series to Weber's arena next year while we have Ashworth, before resuming the Logan and Provo rotation. Or see if Weber will organize a classic with two teams facing us one night and Weber the other night.

Jdav

Post by Jdav » January 16th, 2022, 8:31 pm

Just how bored were you today?

LoveMyAggies

Post by LoveMyAggies » January 18th, 2022, 8:10 am

GameFAQSAggie wrote:
Bigd23 wrote:
January 16th, 2022, 1:41 pm

But getting better shooting from Ashworth there to offset the fewer fans we get to the games. The fans we get in the Spectrum can't help Ashworth shoot 7-11 from three.

Another idea, since BYU is looking for any excuse to avoid coming to the Spectrum, why not move the series to Weber's arena next year while we have Ashworth, before resuming the Logan and Provo rotation. Or see if Weber will organize a classic with two teams facing us one night and Weber the other night.
This ybu non-sense of them refusing to play in the spectrum needs to stop. We went there this year, obviously their homecourt affected our FT.

They are not excused from regular home and home contracts. Might just be better to not play them at all. Low benefits from my perspective.

Aggiealum13

Post by Aggiealum13 » January 18th, 2022, 4:27 pm

Sorry I'm a bit slow but was there an announcement that the Spectrum was going to get renovated? I thought that I heard rumors before, but did I miss something or is this just hearsay?

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » January 18th, 2022, 5:27 pm

Aggiealum13 wrote:
January 18th, 2022, 4:27 pm
Sorry I'm a bit slow but was there an announcement that the Spectrum was going to get renovated? I thought that I heard rumors before, but did I miss something or is this just hearsay?
Feasibility and budget studies have been conducted to compare renovations to the Spectrum vs. a new arena. Rumor is that there was not much price difference. There was also a master plan developed in 2018 which showed four (4) new potential sites for a new Event Center to replace The Spectrum. The Master Plan included north campus improvements to be completed in three phases. Phase 1: 1-10 years, Phase 2: 10-20 years, and Phase 3: 20+ years and beyond.

I'll include the clip below showing those potential sites: (which are a part of the Phase 1 improvements):

In answer to your question, no decision has been announced since the Master Plan and study was conducted. Then again, outside of GA paying for the upgraded football locker room, I don't think there has been a single new facility or facility upgrade done since Hartwell has been AD.

Locked Previous topicNext topic