My take

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
SLB

My take

Post by SLB » January 15th, 2022, 9:31 pm

We left a lot of shots on the floor that we should have made. The starting lineup of Jones, Ashworth, Bairstow, Bean, and Horvath is too lean and not working. It worked better when Shulga and Dorius were put in. Shulga and Dorius should have had more minutes while Horvath should have less minutes. Zee not entering in the game was confusing to me. We were winning with Dorius and Shulga for a clear reason, and it was not like that they were perfect. Shulga was the better 2 than the others tonight, and Dorius was the better 5 tonight than the others. Horvath needs to play less while Bairstow and Shulga should play more.

Bluened
Has thanked: 0

Re: My take

Post by Bluened » January 15th, 2022, 9:49 pm

Zee and Shulga get lost a ton on defense. Shulga is coming along and made some decent plays. Dorius came in for that last play and let Ike get to his left hand easily. Pretty poor effort for such a big play. He was good in the first half though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SLB

Post by SLB » January 15th, 2022, 9:53 pm

Bluened wrote:
January 15th, 2022, 9:49 pm
Zee and Shulga get lost a ton on defense. Shulga is coming along and made some decent plays. Dorius came in for that last play and let Ike get to his left hand easily. Pretty poor effort for such a big play. He was good in the first half though.

Shulga is that young player that folks miss but comes with more positive plays as he plays more. Shulga needs to get that 3-point shot to dominate the game.

Bluened
Has thanked: 0

Post by Bluened » January 15th, 2022, 9:59 pm

SLB wrote:
Bluened wrote:
January 15th, 2022, 9:49 pm

Shulga is that young player that folks miss but comes with more positive plays as he plays more. Shulga needs to get that 3-point shot to dominate the game.
Love his hustle, he is getting better

These users thanked the author Bluened for the post:
slcagg

SSaggie

Post by SSaggie » January 15th, 2022, 11:37 pm

I felt like everyone got lost on D, Shulga is no different. Horvath is a major liability.

I would rather Dorius shoot free throws over Horvath. I would rather Dorius defend someone over Horvath. But then Dorius is an offensive liabikity..

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » January 15th, 2022, 11:42 pm

SSaggie wrote:
January 15th, 2022, 11:37 pm
I felt like everyone got lost on D, Shulga is no different. Horvath is a major liability.

I would rather Dorius shoot free throws over Horvath. I would rather Dorius defend someone over Horvath. But then Dorius is an offensive liabikity..

Horvath early in the season was really good on offense, but has been struggling as of late. On defense he is just not physical enough to matchup with big physical post guys. Not a knock on him he just does not have the strength. Right now he has been a liability on both sides of the court. I know he can be effective on offense, hopefully he can get his confidence back.

Elkaggie

Post by Elkaggie » January 15th, 2022, 11:42 pm

SSaggie wrote:

Horvath is a liability on offense as well. At least he was tonight and has been recently.

At this point give me Dorius over Horvath. At least he can play one end of the floor pretty solidly.

SSaggie

Post by SSaggie » January 16th, 2022, 12:11 am

Sometimes the coaching staff's defensive schemes really leave me scratching my head. Who on staff is in charge of the D?

slcagg

Post by slcagg » January 16th, 2022, 6:29 am

Elkaggie wrote:
January 15th, 2022, 11:42 pm
SSaggie wrote:

Horvath is a liability on offense as well. At least he was tonight and has been recently.

At this point give me Dorius over Horvath. At least he can play one end of the floor pretty solidly.
He is just so skinny

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » January 16th, 2022, 6:48 am

In reading the the post-game article, it appears we just lost to a team that, due to COVID, has practiced about as often as an intramural team.

FL350Aggie

Post by FL350Aggie » January 16th, 2022, 7:18 am

FloridaAggie13 wrote:
January 16th, 2022, 6:48 am
In reading the the post-game article, it appears we just lost to a team that, due to COVID, has practiced about as often as an intramural team.
If pick up ball counts my team while at USU practiced almost everyday. :lol:
These users thanked the author FL350Aggie for the post:
FloridaAggie13

SeldomSeenSmith

Post by SeldomSeenSmith » January 16th, 2022, 7:20 am

Wyoming's a good team. With Hunter Thompson on their roster, I was expecting them to be more gonzo.

As for the Aggies, well, they just don't have the players that play at a high enough level. That should be apparent now to a lot who had some pretty high expectations. And while winning a few games in pre conference is nice, that's when most teams are still getting it together. Conference play is the time to show up. Maybe the Ags will finish conference play at .500. That would be good. Anyway, if Odom thinks he's going to be at the top of the MWC next year with the roster he has coming back, he's mistaken.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » January 16th, 2022, 7:42 am

SeldomSeenSmith wrote:
January 16th, 2022, 7:20 am
Wyoming's a good team. With Hunter Thompson on their roster, I was expecting them to be more gonzo.

As for the Aggies, well, they just don't have the players that play at a high enough level. That should be apparent now to a lot who had some pretty high expectations. Winning a few games in pre conference is nice, but that's when most teams are still getting it together. Maybe the Ags will finish conference play at .500. Anyway, if Odom thinks he's going to be at the top of the MWC next year with the roster he has coming back, he's mistaken.
Agree on all counts.

We’re going to need A LOT more luck with the transfer portal this spring than we’ve had in the past in basketball to be competitive next year. If we whiff in the portal, we’re trying to get better with JUCOs and other spring signing period scraps. Not ideal.

I still like Odom and am not going to prognosticate yet whether he’ll be a success or failure here overall, but some major changes to the roster need to be happening this offseason to get us moving in the right direction, or I am going to start falling off the wagon.

While we have a few fantastic players, this is the least talented roster USU has had in quite some time overall. None of Craig’s ‘Cruits have a ceiling higher than MW-level bench player, and most aren’t even there and never will be there. I feel the same way about Odom’s recruits thus far other than Jones and Horvath. I’ve seen flashes from Jones, Ashworth, RJER, and Bairstow, and honestly not a lot else.

A major challenge we have to fixing this that no one likes to talk about is not having a very diverse roster, which makes it difficult to convince an African-American recruit and his parents that USU is the place. I wish Odom all the luck in the world figuring this out, but it’s going to need to be figured out STAT.

And can Justin and Brock please tell coach their plans? I think we all suspect they are leaving.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » January 16th, 2022, 8:10 am

ineptimusprime wrote:
January 16th, 2022, 7:42 am
SeldomSeenSmith wrote:

As for the Aggies, well, they just don't have the players that play at a high enough level. That should be apparent now to a lot who had some pretty high expectations. Winning a few games in pre conference is nice, but that's when most teams are still getting it together. Maybe the Ags will finish conference play at .500. Anyway, if Odom thinks he's going to be at the top of the MWC next year with the roster he has coming back, he's mistaken.
Agree on all counts.

We’re going to need A LOT more luck with the transfer portal this spring than we’ve had in the past in basketball to be competitive next year. If we whiff in the portal, we’re trying to get better with JUCOs and other spring signing period scraps. Not ideal.

I still like Odom and am not going to prognosticate yet whether he’ll be a success or failure here overall, but some major changes to the roster need to be happening this offseason to get us moving in the right direction, or I am going to start falling off the wagon.

While we have a few fantastic players, this is the least talented roster USU has had in quite some time overall. None of Craig’s ‘Cruits have a ceiling higher than MW-level bench player, and most aren’t even there and never will be there. I feel the same way about Odom’s recruits thus far other than Jones and Horvath. I’ve seen flashes from Jones, Ashworth, RJER, and Bairstow, and honestly not a lot else.

A major challenge we have to fixing this that no one likes to talk about is not having a very diverse roster, which makes it difficult to convince an African-American recruit and his parents that USU is the place. I wish Odom all the luck in the world figuring this out, but it’s going to need to be figured out STAT.

And can Justin and Brock please tell coach their plans? I think we all suspect they are leaving.
I love Brock as an aggie but if his back is this bad he needs to be done after this year for himself and so we have another scholarship.

Blitz79

Post by Blitz79 » January 16th, 2022, 8:14 am

Agreed. Back to what I said before the season. This team just doesn't have a difference maker.

Being good at one end, defense or offense, just doesn't win you games. We need players that are good at both. And we don't have that will breakdown a defense and get his shot.

If it clicks for Shulga he could be a really good player. He is quick, his passes are crisp, he is strong. Not saying he would be a difference maker though.

Maybe Miller has played his last game, wouldn't be surprised if he medically retires.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » January 16th, 2022, 8:16 am

slcagg wrote:
January 16th, 2022, 8:10 am
ineptimusprime wrote:
January 16th, 2022, 7:42 am
SeldomSeenSmith wrote:

Agree on all counts.

While we have a few fantastic players, this is the least talented roster USU has had in quite some time overall. None of Craig’s ‘Cruits have a ceiling higher than MW-level bench player, and most aren’t even there and never will be there. I feel the same way about Odom’s recruits thus far other than Jones and Horvath. I’ve seen flashes from Jones, Ashworth, RJER, Shulga, and Bairstow, and honestly not a lot else.

I love Brock as an aggie but if his back is this bad he needs to be done after this year for himself and so we have another scholarship.
I feel the same way about Brock. But it’s time. It was probably time last year.

Blitz79

Post by Blitz79 » January 16th, 2022, 8:40 am

We are 1-3 in the mountain west, and we have played what are supposed to be 3 out of the 4 bottom teams. It won't be pretty the rest of the year. We will be lucky to play 500 ball.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » January 16th, 2022, 8:43 am

Blitz79 wrote:
January 16th, 2022, 8:40 am
We are 1-3 in the mountain west, and we have played what are supposed to be 3 out of the 4 bottom teams. It won't be pretty the rest of the year. We will be lucky to play 500 ball.
Yeah…. I was looking at the remaining schedule, and think 15-15 is a distinct possibility. It’s okay. I’ve come to terms with it.

coolag

Post by coolag » January 16th, 2022, 10:00 am

ineptimusprime wrote:
January 16th, 2022, 8:43 am
Blitz79 wrote:
Yeah…. I was looking at the remaining schedule, and think 15-15 is a distinct possibility. It’s okay. I’ve come to terms with it.
15-15 is never ok for Utah State Basketball.

Regulator of Class

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » January 16th, 2022, 2:44 pm

coolag wrote:
January 16th, 2022, 10:00 am
ineptimusprime wrote:
January 16th, 2022, 8:43 am
Blitz79 wrote:
15-15 is never ok for Utah State Basketball.
It shouldn’t be okay, but it is okay for the talent level of the team this year. Smith did a number on us recruiting-wise and Odom didn’t realize how bad it was until it was way too late.

I just want to see positive changes in the offseason.

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » January 16th, 2022, 3:23 pm

FL350Aggie wrote:
January 16th, 2022, 7:18 am
FloridaAggie13 wrote:
January 16th, 2022, 6:48 am
If pick up ball counts my team while at USU practiced almost everyday. :lol:
Ha ha! Yep, that's how we did it. Though, we rarely got everyone together except for the game; usually three or four of us would go the Hper or Fieldhouse.
These users thanked the author FloridaAggie13 for the post:
FL350Aggie

pcaggie

Post by pcaggie » January 17th, 2022, 9:08 am

This is the team that Craig left, do we think we would have been much better with him and the two players who followed him? I will give it couple of years with improvements each year. Let’s see if the new coaching staff can recruit at this level. I hope he can!

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » January 17th, 2022, 11:05 am

pcaggie wrote:
January 17th, 2022, 9:08 am
This is the team that Craig left, do we think we would have been much better with him and the two players who followed him? I will give it couple of years with improvements each year. Let’s see if the new coaching staff can recruit at this level. I hope he can!
I do think we would have been slightly better with Marco and Rollie than with RJER and Jones, honestly.

Not like markedly better, but better.

bpd

Post by bpd » January 17th, 2022, 11:07 am

With Marco we would have won both games last week. See my post about defense.

bullshot

Post by bullshot » January 17th, 2022, 11:12 am

There is no one on this team that has a remotely consistent 3 pt. Shot. That’s a problem

LoveMyAggies

Post by LoveMyAggies » January 18th, 2022, 12:42 am

Lets say Bean goes pro NBA/Europe/Dleage

Miller retires.

Horvath graduates

That leaves the following opportunity for Odom.

Jones and Ashworth are worthy Back-ups at MW level.

Shulga for me right now is roster spot #9 on any of the previous 3 NCAA tournament teams talent wise.

Bairstow is a starting 3 at MW level right now. Staff needs to utilize this.

Dorius and Zapala have been a disappointment since OU. Maybe the staff doesnt know how to develop the footwork with big men. Stew woulda had at least Dorius putting up 10 pts and 1-2 blocks and 5 boards by now.

Im sorry but the rest of the team should be recruited over and counseled out. The rest are worthy of DII or DIII. Those who are freshman and rs freshman should be sent to Community College.

Recruiting wise I understand Falslev kids has signed and is going on a mission.

That leaves 7-8+ potential scholarships to fill.

Im not at practice to see the progress of Cade Potter and Zee Hamota, however if they really have MWC potential, they should be logging the minutes now. With the loss of Miller and regression of everyone besides Bean, I’m not sure what is the best option.

Of course I’d love to see more wins, the team isnt going to win without better development progress.

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » January 18th, 2022, 8:38 am

Falslev is currently on a mission and will be returning for next season.

Pacobag

Post by Pacobag » January 18th, 2022, 9:05 am

LoveMyAggies wrote:
January 18th, 2022, 12:42 am
Lets say Bean goes pro NBA/Europe/Dleage

Miller retires.

Horvath graduates

That leaves the following opportunity for Odom.

Jones and Ashworth are worthy Back-ups at MW level.

Shulga for me right now is roster spot #9 on any of the previous 3 NCAA tournament teams talent wise.

Bairstow is a starting 3 at MW level right now. Staff needs to utilize this.

Dorius and Zapala have been a disappointment since OU. Maybe the staff doesnt know how to develop the footwork with big men. Stew woulda had at least Dorius putting up 10 pts and 1-2 blocks and 5 boards by now.

Im sorry but the rest of the team should be recruited over and counseled out. The rest are worthy of DII or DIII. Those who are freshman and rs freshman should be sent to Community College.

Recruiting wise I understand Falslev kids has signed and is going on a mission.

That leaves 7-8+ potential scholarships to fill.

Im not at practice to see the progress of Cade Potter and Zee Hamota, however if they really have MWC potential, they should be logging the minutes now. With the loss of Miller and regression of everyone besides Bean, I’m not sure what is the best option.

Of course I’d love to see more wins, the team isnt going to win without better development progress.
Assuming Bean/Horvath/Miller will be gone next season and Falslev is the only commit, that is 2 additional scholarships to use. I could see a couple other players leaving for more playing time at a lesser program. It will be interesting to see who this coaching staff can land. I don't think the coaching staff should try to counsel out anyone, unless nobody leaves on their own and the coaching staff is capable of landing more than 2 upgrades.

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » January 18th, 2022, 10:31 am

I think if this coaching staff doesn't counsel anyone out then they could be looking at new jobs themselves in a year or two. Coach Smith and his staff really put the program in a bind by filling the roster with mostly non-MWC talent and then taking two of the few that were with him when he moved on.

It will be interesting to see what this staff can do in regards to recruiting. I don't look at Odom's assistants and think "recruiting gurus", they look more like a bunch of clipboard holding statisticians, but maybe they will surprise.

I said when Craig Smith was hired that he was going to be in for a huge shock at the level of athleticism required to compete in the MWC and it would probably take him a year or two to understand what is needed. That never played out because he was fortunate enough to have one Diogo Brito already on the roster which led to him being able to land the biggest game changer he could have ever imagined in Queta. Merrill, Taylor, Brito, Miller, Porter, and Brown were a decent collection but they don't accomplish what they did without the addition of Queta. Neemi made those three incredible years under Smith possible.

I felt the same about Odom coming out here too. He didn't exactly land a Queta-type player and he brought the guys he thought could help with him but I think he is quickly finding out this league is full of some good big men and talented starting rosters. I hope we see some major impact additions to this roster next year.

Locked Previous topicNext topic