Close games

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
ThunderAggie

Close games

Post by ThunderAggie » January 15th, 2022, 9:30 pm

9 points away from being 14-3
14 points away from being 15-2

We have come out on the wrong side of almost all of our close games. The only real game we got dominated was against Iowa who has the leading scorer in college basketball. We have a solid team who is capable of beating almost anyone but our shooting woes continue to hurt us. I still have hope we can make a little run in the MW tourney but it looks like that may be our only shot at making the big dance. Unless we can win out.
These users thanked the author ThunderAggie for the post (total 2):
3rdGenAggieaggies95

VegasBornAggie

Re: Close games

Post by VegasBornAggie » January 15th, 2022, 10:02 pm

If we make free throws and shots fall we’re probably 15-2 but at the end of the day we’re not and this team hasn’t found ways to win in tight games. They need to figure out ways to win. Somebody needs to step up to be that guy to guide us down the stretch in close games. As soon as they figure this out we’ll be just fine.

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » January 15th, 2022, 10:09 pm

We just don't make outside shots. That's really it. When Ashworth is on, everyone else is off. When Jones is on, Ashworth and everyone else is off, so on and so on...

Elkaggie

Post by Elkaggie » January 15th, 2022, 10:14 pm

We don’t have anyone that can create off the dribble and get a shot or set up a teammate whatsoever. Tough one tonight but there will be more.

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » January 15th, 2022, 10:19 pm

Elkaggie wrote:
January 15th, 2022, 10:14 pm
We don’t have anyone that can create off the dribble and get a shot or set up a teammate whatsoever. Tough one tonight but there will be more.
I saw Shulga do this mulitple times tonight. He is quick on the dribble and his crossover got him right to the rim for layups or fouls. Bairstow is also capable of backing his way down and getting his own shot over smaller guys too. The problem is that when we need a go-to basket these guys aren't even on the floor necessarily. Instead, we try and go to undersized Bean to create in the post against bigger defenders or we rely on someone hucking up a desperation shot from deep.

What happened to isolating Horvath and letting him go past his man to the rim? He is quicker than the guys that guard him but we have gone away from that too.
These users thanked the author Aglicious for the post:
BustaMcNutt

aggies95

Post by aggies95 » January 15th, 2022, 10:21 pm

FloridaAggie13 wrote:
January 15th, 2022, 10:09 pm
We just don't make outside shots. That's really it. When Ashworth is on, everyone else is off. When Jones is on, Ashworth and everyone else is off, so on and so on...
Agreed. We scored on 7/8 possessions down the stretch before missing the 3 at the very end that technically made it 7/9. We are losing games from 3. It’s that simple. It’s honestly a testament to this teams effort that they’ve found ways to stay in games shooting so poorly from 3. There are small differences game to game. St Mary’s and CSU we had some really really tough calls. Against Wyoming we couldn’t contain Maldonado or Ike 1v1 and didn’t adjust defensively. The consistent theme in the close losses is poor 3 point shooting. We were down 7 with 5 minutes against Wyoming and stormed back to take the lead. Some big shots were made down the stretch. If we shoot 32-33% from 3, we aren’t in that position to begin with.

We looked like a bubble team in the non conference. We look like a .500 team in conference play. 3 point line is the difference. Simple.
These users thanked the author aggies95 for the post:
FloridaAggie13

Aggiebigtime

Post by Aggiebigtime » January 15th, 2022, 10:22 pm

Aglicious wrote:
January 15th, 2022, 10:19 pm
Elkaggie wrote:
I saw Shulga do this mulitple times tonight. He is quick on the dribble and his crossover got him right to the rim for layups or fouls. Bairstow is also capable of backing his way down and getting his own shot over smaller guys too. The problem is that when we need a go-to basket these guys aren't even on the floor necessarily. Instead, we try and go to undersized Bean to create in the post against bigger defenders or we rely on someone hucking up a desperation shot from deep.

What happened to isolating Horvath and letting him go past his man to the rim? He is quicker than the guys that guard him but we have gone away from that too.
Because they would foul him and send him to the line.

aggies95

Post by aggies95 » January 15th, 2022, 10:31 pm

Aglicious wrote:
Elkaggie wrote:

Love what Shulga did off the dribble. He was good tonight. Bairstow has that ability. Bean hit 2 huge buckets down the stretch. Rylan’s bucket was huge. To my point earlier, our clutch scoring hasn’t been an issue. We aren’t getting enough stops down the stretch, and we’ve had to come from behind in every single conference game so far. If we hit 3’s during the game, instead of clawing our way back into the game in the final minutes, we are putting teams away and securing the W.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » January 15th, 2022, 10:42 pm

Unlike in the last couple of years when we were really good in close games this year the Aggies are poor in close games. This team is just not good enough to get over the hump and make some stops in the final minute or hit big shots in the final minute. I love the fight from the team and they are team that is easy for me to cheer for, but we just don't have enough shooters and play makers down the stretch to get it done.

SwaggieAggie

Post by SwaggieAggie » January 15th, 2022, 10:42 pm

Our one clutch defensive stop we’ve had all year was RJ’s steal against Saint Mary’s. And then we still found a way to lose in regulation.

Elkaggie

Post by Elkaggie » January 15th, 2022, 10:43 pm

aggies95 wrote:
January 15th, 2022, 10:31 pm
Aglicious wrote:
Elkaggie wrote:

Love what Shulga did off the dribble. He was good tonight. Bairstow has that ability. Bean hit 2 huge buckets down the stretch. Rylan’s bucket was huge. To my point earlier, our clutch scoring hasn’t been an issue. We aren’t getting enough stops down the stretch, and we’ve had to come from behind in every single conference game so far. If we hit 3’s during the game, instead of clawing our way back into the game in the final minutes, we are putting teams away and securing the W.
Clutch scoring not an issue?! Remember St Mary’s and CSU? Even tonight Jones gets a decent look at it want even close. We need both.

aggies95

Post by aggies95 » January 15th, 2022, 11:10 pm

Elkaggie wrote:
January 15th, 2022, 10:43 pm
aggies95 wrote:
Aglicious wrote:
Elkaggie wrote:

Clutch scoring not an issue?! Remember St Mary’s and CSU? Even tonight Jones gets a decent look at it want even close. We need both.
It's not the issue, no. Last 5 minutes + overtime:

Saint Mary's - scored on 6 out of our final 9 possessions
Air Force - Scored on 4 out of our final 9 possessions
New Mexico - Scored on 12 out of our final 20 possessions
CSU - Scored on 6 of our final 10 possessions
Wyoming - Scored on 7 of our final 9 possessions.

Here's the problem:

St. Mary's: 3/15 (20% from 3). If we shoot 33%, we win by 4.
Air Force: 1/19 (5.2% from 3). If we shoot 33%, we win by 13.
Colorado St: 4/18 (22% from 3). If we shoot 33%, we win by 1.
Wyoming: 6/26 (23.1% from 3). If we shoot 33%, we win by 4-7.

In all 4 of these losses, we were behind going into the last 5 minutes. So no, clutch scoring isn't the issue. I'd say the primary issue is 3 point shooting. We're putting ourselves in holes and having to battle back in the last 5-10 minutes of games. I'm not going to analyze other teams success in the last 5 minutes, but if I had to guess, it wouldn't be great for us in terms of % of stops in the last 5 minutes. So clutch defense may very well be an issue.

If we shoot well from 3 throughout the game, we enter the final 5 minutes ahead and we win.

Elkaggie

Post by Elkaggie » January 15th, 2022, 11:18 pm

aggies95 wrote:
January 15th, 2022, 11:10 pm
Elkaggie wrote:
aggies95 wrote:
Aglicious wrote:
Elkaggie wrote:

Here's the problem:

In all 4 of these losses, we were behind going into the last 5 minutes. So no, clutch scoring isn't the issue. I'd say the primary issue is 3 point shooting. We're putting ourselves in holes and having to battle back in the last 5-10 minutes of games. I'm not going to analyze other teams success in the last 5 minutes, but if I had to guess, it wouldn't be great for us in terms of % of stops in the last 5 minutes. So clutch defense may very well be an issue.

If we shoot well from 3 throughout the game, we enter the final 5 minutes ahead and we win.
Thanks for looking up those stats. So what you are saying is if we score more points than the other team we win? :joking:
These users thanked the author Elkaggie for the post:
aggies95

aggies95

Post by aggies95 » January 15th, 2022, 11:25 pm

Elkaggie wrote:
January 15th, 2022, 11:18 pm
aggies95 wrote:
Elkaggie wrote:
aggies95 wrote:
Aglicious wrote:
Elkaggie wrote:

Here's the problem:

Thanks for looking up those stats. So what you are saying is if we score more points than the other team we win? :joking:
:lol:

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » January 15th, 2022, 11:38 pm

aggies95 wrote:
Elkaggie wrote:
aggies95 wrote:
Aglicious wrote:
Elkaggie wrote:

Here's the problem:

Agree it is really not that complicated. Certainly this team is not going to be the defensive juggernaut they were the last year with a lock down center in Queta and a lock down guard in Anthony. Our biggest problem is shooting and most notably 3 point shooting. 20% in conference will not get it done. Even with the horrific shooting the team was still within 1 possession in the final minute. Shoot the ball better and this team can compete with the top of the league, I just don't have any confidence that will happen.

Bigd23
Has thanked: 0

Post by Bigd23 » January 16th, 2022, 1:38 pm

Toughest part for me is we already have three close games that we've dropped in the Spectrum against UC Davis, St. Mary's, and Wyoming. That just hasn't happened much in the past at home.

We don't seem to have good decision making or play calling to close out the close games by getting a good final shot.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Bigd23
Has thanked: 0

Post by Bigd23 » January 17th, 2022, 12:43 pm

Hadn't really thought about it until now but we just don't have a go-to ball handler and shooter in those late game situations. We were spoiled when we had guys like Sam and Jaycee to fill that role.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Locked Previous topicNext topic