Craig Smith - The gift that keeps on giving

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
FL350Aggie

Re: Craig Smith - The gift that keeps on giving

Post by FL350Aggie » January 13th, 2022, 6:21 am

flying_scotsman2.0 wrote:
January 12th, 2022, 1:18 pm
FL350Aggie wrote:
January 12th, 2022, 10:34 am
Don’t worry guys Smith will have conversations with his wife and she will eventually work out his roster problems for him at Utah and they will start winning games.
"I was just sitting in bed one night puzzling why Abel wasn't getting the start, or more minutes. Finally my wife said, 'honey, you're the head coach, don't you make those decisions?' Confused, I wandered into the shower to let the water rush smoothly over my head and hopefully help me understand her words. And that's when it dawned on me. I COULD GIVE HIM MORE MINUTES. Since that day, Abel has gotten more playing time."

Yep you nailed it. Still the strangest thing I’ve heard a coach say.
These users thanked the author FL350Aggie for the post (total 3):
aggies22IdaAg93FloridaAggie13

tipitup
Pick'em Champ - '18 WTHCG

Post by tipitup » January 13th, 2022, 9:38 am

FL350Aggie wrote:
January 13th, 2022, 6:21 am
flying_scotsman2.0 wrote:
January 12th, 2022, 1:18 pm
FL350Aggie wrote:
Don’t worry guys Smith will have conversations with his wife and she will eventually work out his roster problems for him at Utah and they will start winning games.
"I was just sitting in bed one night puzzling why Abel wasn't getting the start, or more minutes. Finally my wife said, 'honey, you're the head coach, don't you make those decisions?' Confused, I wandered into the shower to let the water rush smoothly over my head and hopefully help me understand her words. And that's when it dawned on me. I COULD GIVE HIM MORE MINUTES. Since that day, Abel has gotten more playing time."

Yep you nailed it. Still the strangest thing I’ve heard a coach say.
ya but was he wrong?
These users thanked the author tipitup for the post:
FL350Aggie

SeldomSeenSmith

Post by SeldomSeenSmith » January 13th, 2022, 10:09 am

Craig Smith isn't a good recruiter. That's one of the reasons he hired Demarlo Slocum and Tim Morris.
These users thanked the author SeldomSeenSmith for the post (total 2):
aggies22FloridaAggie13

OrangeCountyAggie

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » January 13th, 2022, 5:34 pm

SeldomSeenSmith wrote:
January 13th, 2022, 10:09 am
Craig Smith isn't a good recruiter. That's one of the reasons he hired Demarlo Slocum and Tim Morris.
It's weird, you think all of his raw, raw, enthusiasm would translate in recruiting. Probably just annoying.
These users thanked the author OrangeCountyAggie for the post:
flying_scotsman2.0

Aggie in Boise

Post by Aggie in Boise » January 13th, 2022, 5:46 pm

FL350Aggie wrote:
It's a good thing she told him to play Justin when he was pulling down 3 rebounds every minute or so that he was in the game.
These users thanked the author Aggie in Boise for the post (total 3):
hipsterdoofus21flying_scotsman2.0FL350Aggie

"We've upped our standards, so UP YOURS." Unknown

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » January 14th, 2022, 12:34 pm

Aggie in Boise wrote:
January 13th, 2022, 5:46 pm
FL350Aggie wrote:
It's a good thing she told him to play Justin when he was pulling down 3 rebounds every minute or so that he was in the game.
I heard Smith is starting a brass band right there in Salt Lake City.

OrangeCountyAggie

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » January 14th, 2022, 5:36 pm

Aggie in Boise wrote:
January 13th, 2022, 5:46 pm
FL350Aggie wrote:
For that alone, she should have been hired to coach. Unless of course, she was the one who yelled at Miller to shoot more.
Aggie in Boise

jazzdog56466

Post by jazzdog56466 » January 15th, 2022, 8:34 pm

Aggie in Boise wrote:
January 10th, 2022, 10:40 am
Craig Smith immediately turned our program around and led us to our first ever MWC Championships as well as three NCAA Tourney invites in his three years at the helm. :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

Like a good and faithful Aggie he left for a worthy cause (to tank the University of Utah's basketball program in an unsuspicious way). The Utes are now 8-8 and have lost 8 of their last 11 games. The losses are expected to continue. :lol: Here's to hoping he can tank the program quickly and get his 12 million dollar payout. The sooner the better. And like I've stated before I love Craig and hope that he does exceptionally well after he leaves Utah.
I’m genuinely curious here—-not trying to stir anything up: but, why do we want him to do well when he leaves Utah? From everything I have gathered, Smith left in the worst way possible, didn’t so much as say a word to Miller or Bean, and bolted for a lateral program. Utah isn’t a big upgrade in hoops, I’m surprised he took it instead of waiting and going to the Midwest, maybe somewhere in the Big10. I really hope he never succeeds as a coach again.
These users thanked the author jazzdog56466 for the post:
2004AG

ChowderAggie

Post by ChowderAggie » January 15th, 2022, 9:10 pm

jazzdog56466 wrote:
January 15th, 2022, 8:34 pm
Aggie in Boise wrote:
Craig Smith immediately turned our program around and led us to our first ever MWC Championships as well as three NCAA Tourney invites in his three years at the helm. :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

Like a good and faithful Aggie he left for a worthy cause (to tank the University of Utah's basketball program in an unsuspicious way). The Utes are now 8-8 and have lost 8 of their last 11 games. The losses are expected to continue. :lol: Here's to hoping he can tank the program quickly and get his 12 million dollar payout. The sooner the better. And like I've stated before I love Craig and hope that he does exceptionally well after he leaves Utah.
I’m genuinely curious here—-not trying to stir anything up: but, why do we want him to do well when he leaves Utah? From everything I have gathered, Smith left in the worst way possible, didn’t so much as say a word to Miller or Bean, and bolted for a lateral program. Utah isn’t a big upgrade in hoops, I’m surprised he took it instead of waiting and going to the Midwest, maybe somewhere in the Big10. I really hope he never succeeds as a coach again.
Smith signed a 6 year, 12.6 million dollar contract with Utah. If you think that is a lateral move, there is nothing more to discuss.
These users thanked the author ChowderAggie for the post:
tjensen_25

jazzdog56466

Post by jazzdog56466 » January 15th, 2022, 9:22 pm

ChowderAggie wrote:
January 15th, 2022, 9:10 pm
jazzdog56466 wrote:
Aggie in Boise wrote:

Smith signed a 6 year, 12.6 million dollar contract with Utah. If you think that is a lateral move, there is nothing more to discuss.
It’s a lateral move quality of program wise—not salary wise. He could have gotten that deal at any P5 school. The real issue is the way he left.
These users thanked the author jazzdog56466 for the post:
aggieborn

ChowderAggie

Post by ChowderAggie » January 15th, 2022, 9:34 pm

jazzdog56466 wrote:
January 15th, 2022, 9:22 pm
ChowderAggie wrote:
jazzdog56466 wrote:
Aggie in Boise wrote:

It’s a lateral move quality of program wise—not salary wise. He could have gotten that deal at any P5 school. The real issue is the way he left.
Since 1990, Utah has had around 22 NCAA tournament wins. Utah State has had 1.

I love Utah State, but Utah Basketball is not a lateral move.
These users thanked the author ChowderAggie for the post (total 2):
utaggiestjensen_25

jazzdog56466

Post by jazzdog56466 » January 15th, 2022, 9:43 pm

ChowderAggie wrote:
January 15th, 2022, 9:34 pm
jazzdog56466 wrote:
ChowderAggie wrote:
jazzdog56466 wrote:
Aggie in Boise wrote:

Since 1990, sure. “What have you done for me lately?” I would argue over the last 15 years the two programs are very similar. The Utes have made the NCAA tournament 3 times since 2006. Ags have gone 6 times—-7 if you count the covid season when the tourney was canceled.

I’m just saying Utah was a bit of a surprising job for Smith, because I feel like it’s where he will go to die. 5 years and fired, and probably find himself coaching in the MAC. I assumed he was going to ride his success to the Big 10 where he had roots.

We may not agree on the Ute decision, and I guess that doesn’t matter. That’s not why I hope he fails lol.

I just thought it has been outlined that he didn’t tell anybody in the department about leaving, and hasn’t talked to Bean or Miller since leaving—which rubbed me wrong. No big deal, I don’t hate him. Just don’t really care for him to see a lot of success at Utah or after.

Aggiebigtime

Post by Aggiebigtime » January 15th, 2022, 10:14 pm

jazzdog56466 wrote:
January 15th, 2022, 9:43 pm
ChowderAggie wrote:
jazzdog56466 wrote:
ChowderAggie wrote:
jazzdog56466 wrote:
Aggie in Boise wrote:

Since 1990, sure. “What have you done for me lately?” I would argue over the last 15 years the two programs are very similar. The Utes have made the NCAA tournament 3 times since 2006. Ags have gone 6 times—-7 if you count the covid season when the tourney was canceled.

I’m just saying Utah was a bit of a surprising job for Smith, because I feel like it’s where he will go to die. 5 years and fired, and probably find himself coaching in the MAC. I assumed he was going to ride his success to the Big 10 where he had roots.

We may not agree on the Ute decision, and I guess that doesn’t matter. That’s not why I hope he fails lol.

I just thought it has been outlined that he didn’t tell anybody in the department about leaving, and hasn’t talked to Bean or Miller since leaving—which rubbed me wrong. No big deal, I don’t hate him. Just don’t really care for him to see a lot of success at Utah or after.
Coach Smith knew that this year was going to be a struggle. He couldn’t wait for his dream job because he would have struggled probably more than Odom this year and no big offers would be coming his way.
These users thanked the author Aggiebigtime for the post (total 2):
FloridaAggie13ChowderAggie

Aggie in Boise

Post by Aggie in Boise » January 17th, 2022, 11:59 pm

8-10. Bottom of the PAC12.

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » January 18th, 2022, 6:02 am

Aggiebigtime wrote:
January 15th, 2022, 10:14 pm
jazzdog56466 wrote:
ChowderAggie wrote:
jazzdog56466 wrote:
ChowderAggie wrote:
jazzdog56466 wrote:
Aggie in Boise wrote:

Coach Smith knew that this year was going to be a struggle. He couldn’t wait for his dream job because he would have struggled probably more than Odom this year and no big offers would be coming his way.
It was the perfect move for a coach like Smith who is in the midst of his 'career climb'. Seize the moment. He had three great years at USU and he cashed in on it. I don't blame him at all. If he sticks around for two more years at USU during the rebuild, his stock drops as USU probably doesn't make the NCAA Tourney this year and maybe not next year. His job would be safer at USU, but two years at Utah with that contract sets him up for life. Just like Wells going to TT.

OKAggie

Post by OKAggie » January 18th, 2022, 8:52 am

FloridaAggie13 wrote:
January 18th, 2022, 6:02 am
Aggiebigtime wrote:
January 15th, 2022, 10:14 pm
jazzdog56466 wrote:
ChowderAggie wrote:
jazzdog56466 wrote:
ChowderAggie wrote:
jazzdog56466 wrote:
Aggie in Boise wrote:

It was the perfect move for a coach like Smith who is in the midst of his 'career climb'. Seize the moment. He had three great years at USU and he cashed in on it. I don't blame him at all. If he sticks around for two more years at USU during the rebuild, his stock drops as USU probably doesn't make the NCAA Tourney this year and maybe not next year. His job would be safer at USU, but two years at Utah with that contract sets him up for life. Just like Wells going to TT.
Let me just reprise what I said about it at the time:

Of all the jobs Craig could leave us for, the U is the second worst. But let's be honest about something: Craig isn't, and never was an Aggie. He was a vigorous Aggie advocate, a tremendous Aggie coach, and a well-paid USU employee. We loved hearing him talk about how special USU is, how great the Spectrum and the Hurd are, how he'd always shout Go Aggies at the end of every interview. We loved him because he said what we wanted to hear, because we feel that way. It was part of his job, and he was great at it.

But coaching is at least 10% acting, and he's a good actor -- had his lines down pat, delivered them with conviction, maybe even a little method acting, what with the Logan Canyon off-roading and the love of Green Canyon High. Growing up in Stephen, MN, he didn't dream of coaching at Utah State, where his parents didn't meet and his uncle wasn't a legend. He left a good job to come here for a better one, because that's what professionals do. And if he's successful at the U, he'll leave them for a better job (there are dozens of them) too.

I don't say this with any disrespect at all. His three years here were three of the best we've ever had, and after the gloom of the Duryea era (and truth to tell, the last three years of Stew), Aggie hoops is fun again. Much of that had to do with Sam and Neemi, but Duryea had two years of Sam and didn't know what to do with him, while Neemi was gifted but raw when Craig got him to come to Logan. It would have been interesting to see what Craig would do next year without an NBA talent.

It's just realistic. There isn't a coach anywhere on earth that loves USU as much as we do, who can also coach at this level, and whose only professional desire is to coach here for the rest of his career. If I'm wrong, tell me, and cc: John Hartwell. So by definition everyone who comes here comes for himself, not for us, and will leave for himself. You don't have to like it, but you have to acknowledge it.

I wish Craig well. I loved his tenure here (although watching his first presser I thought he was a gasbag who couldn't string together two coherent sentences. He grew on me), and I seriously hope he does well at the U (I've grown old enough to know that their success or failure doesn't affect me at all. Still working on BYU...). Because that will mean that he will leave them for the Michigan or Wisconsin jobs when they come open again, and the Utes will again be faced with the reality that they are not a destination job either, just one stepping stone further up the path than USU.
These users thanked the author OKAggie for the post (total 4):
FloridaAggie13Bank ShotYoungBloodAggieHakeemMyDream

Nobody here knows anything.

Aggie in Boise

Post by Aggie in Boise » January 27th, 2022, 9:44 am

The losses keep piling up for Utah. The Utes have lost 9 straight games and sit at the bottom of the PAC 12 conference. Things aren't looking good but it's possible they could get their next win at home against Oregon State on February 3rd. Let's hope not.

PAC 12 conference record: 1-10
Overall record: 8-13

My prediction is that they finish the season at 9-21or 10-20 barring any Covid cancellations.

Thank you Craig! Nice work!

#KeepGiving
These users thanked the author Aggie in Boise for the post:
flying_scotsman2.0

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » January 27th, 2022, 9:54 am

Sometimes when I think that CS might actually be regretting this move, I just picture him lying on a bed full of cash and then it brings me back to reality.
These users thanked the author ViAggie for the post (total 4):
trevordudeflying_scotsman2.0FloridaAggie13treesap32

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

Sl7vk

Post by Sl7vk » January 27th, 2022, 10:23 am

Bringing Worster and Anthony down there showed me how mismatched he was with the scope of the challenge.
Nice players.... just nice.
His recruiting wo's will be his ceiling, and I think he had actually hit it at USU, but the U didn't see it that way.
Big time college basketball is about one thing, and that one thing is the thing he's worst at.

Aggie in Boise

Post by Aggie in Boise » January 27th, 2022, 1:29 pm

ViAggie wrote:
January 27th, 2022, 9:54 am
Sometimes when I think that CS might actually be regretting this move, I just picture him lying on a bed full of cash and then it brings me back to reality.
You never cease to amaze me. Picturing a middle aged bald dude on a bed? Was he wearing a long sleeve shirt? Asking for a friend.

Blitz79

Post by Blitz79 » January 27th, 2022, 5:29 pm

OKAggie wrote:
January 18th, 2022, 8:52 am

Let me just reprise what I said about it at the time:

Of all the jobs Craig could leave us for, the U is the second worst. But let's be honest about something: Craig isn't, and never was an Aggie. He was a vigorous Aggie advocate, a tremendous Aggie coach, and a well-paid USU employee. We loved hearing him talk about how special USU is, how great the Spectrum and the Hurd are, how he'd always shout Go Aggies at the end of every interview. We loved him because he said what we wanted to hear, because we feel that way. It was part of his job, and he was great at it.

But coaching is at least 10% acting, and he's a good actor -- had his lines down pat, delivered them with conviction, maybe even a little method acting, what with the Logan Canyon off-roading and the love of Green Canyon High. Growing up in Stephen, MN, he didn't dream of coaching at Utah State, where his parents didn't meet and his uncle wasn't a legend. He left a good job to come here for a better one, because that's what professionals do. And if he's successful at the U, he'll leave them for a better job (there are dozens of them) too.

I don't say this with any disrespect at all. His three years here were three of the best we've ever had, and after the gloom of the Duryea era (and truth to tell, the last three years of Stew), Aggie hoops is fun again. Much of that had to do with Sam and Neemi, but Duryea had two years of Sam and didn't know what to do with him, while Neemi was gifted but raw when Craig got him to come to Logan. It would have been interesting to see what Craig would do next year without an NBA talent.

It's just realistic. There isn't a coach anywhere on earth that loves USU as much as we do, who can also coach at this level, and whose only professional desire is to coach here for the rest of his career. If I'm wrong, tell me, and cc: John Hartwell. So by definition everyone who comes here comes for himself, not for us, and will leave for himself. You don't have to like it, but you have to acknowledge it.

I wish Craig well. I loved his tenure here (although watching his first presser I thought he was a gasbag who couldn't string together two coherent sentences. He grew on me), and I seriously hope he does well at the U (I've grown old enough to know that their success or failure doesn't affect me at all. Still working on BYU...). Because that will mean that he will leave them for the Michigan or Wisconsin jobs when they come open again, and the Utes will again be faced with the reality that they are not a destination job either, just one stepping stone further up the path than USU.
Thank you.

OrangeCountyAggie

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » January 27th, 2022, 5:52 pm

Aggie in Boise wrote:
January 27th, 2022, 9:44 am
The losses keep piling up for Utah. The Utes have lost 9 straight games and sit at the bottom of the PAC 12 conference. Things aren't looking good but it's possible they could get their next win at home against Oregon State on February 3rd. Let's hope not.

My prediction is that they finish the season at 9-21or 10-20 barring any Covid cancellations.

#KeepGiving
Well at least they have good fan support:

https://www.deseret.com/2022/1/27/22899 ... raig-smith
FloridaAggie13

OrangeCountyAggie

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » January 27th, 2022, 5:54 pm

Sl7vk wrote:
January 27th, 2022, 10:23 am
Bringing Worster and Anthony down there showed me how mismatched he was with the scope of the challenge.
Nice players.... just nice.
His recruiting wo's will be his ceiling, and I think he had actually hit it at USU, but the U didn't see it that way.
Big time college basketball is about one thing, and that one thing is the thing he's worst at.
Wish he'd taken Miller with him.

OrangeCountyAggie

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » January 27th, 2022, 5:55 pm

Aggie in Boise wrote:

#KeepGiving
Maybe his wife can give him some more coaching pointers :noidea:

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » January 28th, 2022, 6:36 am

ViAggie wrote:
January 27th, 2022, 9:54 am

Bank Shot

Post by Bank Shot » January 28th, 2022, 10:01 am

OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
January 27th, 2022, 5:52 pm
Aggie in Boise wrote:

#KeepGiving

Tickets sold doesn't equate to butts in seats, but I was surprised that as far as ticket sold, Utah is 3rd in the PAC 12 behind the Arizona schools. Sad commentary on college basketball.

Dkdavis

Post by Dkdavis » January 28th, 2022, 10:57 am

Bank Shot wrote:
January 28th, 2022, 10:01 am
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
Aggie in Boise wrote:

#KeepGiving

Tickets sold doesn't equate to butts in seats, but I was surprised that as far as ticket sold, Utah is 3rd in the PAC 12 behind the Arizona schools. Sad commentary on college basketball.
If they have that many tickets sold it is because lots of people bought season tickets. They sold the hype around Smith really well.

aggieborn

Post by aggieborn » January 28th, 2022, 3:10 pm

Dkdavis wrote:
January 28th, 2022, 10:57 am
Bank Shot wrote:
January 28th, 2022, 10:01 am
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
Aggie in Boise wrote:

#KeepGiving

If they have that many tickets sold it is because lots of people bought season tickets. They sold the hype around Smith really well.
The ONLY reason Utah is 3rd in attendance is because every California team which is basically all the good basketball schools in the conference plus Oregon are limiting attendance due to Covid. I’m shocked that wasn’t included in the article. Next year Utah will be near the bottom once again

Locked Previous topicNext topic