Craig Smith - The gift that keeps on giving

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Aggie in Boise

Craig Smith - The gift that keeps on giving

Post by Aggie in Boise » January 10th, 2022, 10:40 am

Craig Smith immediately turned our program around and led us to our first ever MWC Championships as well as three NCAA Tourney invites in his three years at the helm. :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

Like a good and faithful Aggie he left for a worthy cause (to tank the University of Utah's basketball program in an unsuspicious way). The Utes are now 8-8 and have lost 8 of their last 11 games. The losses are expected to continue. :lol: Here's to hoping he can tank the program quickly and get his 12 million dollar payout. The sooner the better. And like I've stated before I love Craig and hope that he does exceptionally well after he leaves Utah.
These users thanked the author Aggie in Boise for the post (total 8):
AggieFBObsessionReal Life AggieOrangeCountyAggieJSHarveyaggies22918AGGcdaAgIdaAg93

"We've upped our standards, so UP YOURS." Unknown

aggieguy13

Re: Craig Smith - The gift that keeps on giving

Post by aggieguy13 » January 10th, 2022, 10:50 am

Don't worry, things will turn around as soon as Craig starts bringing in his own recruits.
These users thanked the author aggieguy13 for the post (total 6):
Real Life AggieBLUERUFiOOrangeCountyAggieAgliciousFL350AggieColoraggie

Aggie75

Post by Aggie75 » January 10th, 2022, 10:55 am

Touche!!!
These users thanked the author Aggie75 for the post:
Pacobag

Sl7vk

Post by Sl7vk » January 10th, 2022, 11:08 am

Recruiting will be the issue for Craig, because he's a damn good coach.
Can he bring Pac12 talent to Salt Lake? I'm doubtful.
These users thanked the author Sl7vk for the post:
ViAggie

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » January 10th, 2022, 11:19 am

The dude in the glasses is too dark to play for Craig Smith.
These users thanked the author NVAggie for the post (total 2):
AggieFBObsessionOrangeCountyAggie

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » January 10th, 2022, 11:36 am

aggieguy13 wrote:
January 10th, 2022, 10:50 am
Don't worry, things will turn around as soon as Craig starts bringing in his own recruits.
These users thanked the author Aglicious for the post (total 3):
AggieFBObsessionsam tingeyOrangeCountyAggie

Mr. Sneelock

Post by Mr. Sneelock » January 10th, 2022, 12:56 pm

I'm not sure Craig Smith is really that great of a coach. His recruiting wasn't great - he had a couple of generational players fall into his lap. He also didn't seem to be a great X's and O's guy. What he was exceptionally good at is motivating his players and being enthusiastic, and getting the most out of them. He is very likeable. That said, I think his deficiencies will ultimately lead him to fail at Utah.

Formerly TulsAGGIE

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » January 10th, 2022, 1:32 pm

aggieguy13 wrote:
Harsh, but fair.

Real Life Aggie

Post by Real Life Aggie » January 10th, 2022, 1:34 pm

aggieguy13 wrote:
Yes, but 3 of them need visas.

He even has a name for these sorts of players: OKGs.
These users thanked the author Real Life Aggie for the post:
OrangeCountyAggie

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » January 10th, 2022, 2:44 pm

Real Life Aggie wrote:
January 10th, 2022, 1:34 pm
aggieguy13 wrote:
Yes, but 3 of them need visas.

He even has a name for these sorts of players: OKGs.
OKGs= Our Kind of Guys, right?

And let’s be clear, I don’t think anyone here is accusing Smith of overt racism. Just in good fun.
These users thanked the author ineptimusprime for the post (total 2):
Real Life Aggieaggieguy13

Real Life Aggie

Post by Real Life Aggie » January 10th, 2022, 3:22 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:
January 10th, 2022, 2:44 pm
OKGs= Our Kind of Guys, right?

And let’s be clear, I don’t think anyone here is accusing Smith of overt racism. Just in good fun.
Yes! Our Kind of Guys. While some leveled accusations, tacit or explicit, against Coach Smith, I disagree with those. Part of his "Our Kind of Guys" criteria might have indirectly pushed things that direction a tad, but that's a different discussion.

I still wish Coach Smith nothing but good luck. We were very lucky that he came to USU.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » January 10th, 2022, 3:39 pm

The 3 year run that Craig orchestrated will always be one of my highlights of Aggie basketball. What he did while here was incredible and he made Aggie basketball fun again. That being said I truly hope Utah does not win another game.
These users thanked the author Aggie84025 for the post (total 3):
Aggie in BoiseJSHarveyaggies22

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » January 10th, 2022, 4:02 pm

2018-2020 was a lot of fun for USU basketball!

However, it is already obvious that Craig Smith couldn't recruit MWC players to USU. It will be harder recruiting PAC 12 players to Ewtaugh which has proudly proclaimed itself to be a "football school".

Time will tell if C. Smith is just a basketball version of Charlie Weatherbie in the lore of USU athletics. Charismatic, excitable coaches who inherited teams with some good players and then squeezed the most out them for a short run of success, but otherwise couldn't recruit new talent to fill the void.
These users thanked the author FloridaAggie13 for the post:
Intermeddler

Aggie in Boise

Post by Aggie in Boise » January 10th, 2022, 4:16 pm

FloridaAggie13 wrote:
January 10th, 2022, 4:02 pm

However, it is already obvious that Craig Smith couldn't recruit MWC players to USU. It will be harder recruiting PAC 12 players to Ewtaugh which has proudly proclaimed itself to be a "football school".

Time will tell if C. Smith is just a basketball version of Charlie Weatherbie in the lore of USU athletics. Charismatic, excitable coaches who inherited teams with some good players and then squeezed the most out them for a short run of success, but otherwise couldn't recruit new talent to fill the void.
So what you're saying is that Timmy D hooked us up with the talent and should be credited with those three years of success. :joking:

I was pissed as hell when Timmy got canned. In fact I remember exactly where I was and what I was doing when I heard about his dismissal.
These users thanked the author Aggie in Boise for the post:
FloridaAggie13

Bank Shot

Post by Bank Shot » January 10th, 2022, 4:34 pm

The one thing about the critique of Smith's recruiting that I don't get is the continued implication that Queta "fell in his lap". He brought Peterson from USD who was largely responsible for landing a once in a generation post player and then that staff developed him into an NBA draft pick.

Sam did fall into his lap, but that staff developed him into an NBA draft pick, which might not have happened otherwise. The development of Bean (not taking a thing away from his work ethic) and the subtle, yet very visible contributions made by guys like Quinn Taylor, Brito and Porter impressed me a lot.

Having said that, time will tell at Utah whether he can recruit on the Pac 12 level. Bottom line he's gone and I'm pretty darn happy with his replacement. Smith and Odom have different personalities, styles, etc., but I think they are both really good coaches.
These users thanked the author Bank Shot for the post (total 5):
Aggie in BoiseReal Life AggieMrBiggleFloridaAggie13AggiesForever

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » January 10th, 2022, 4:44 pm

The ewets thought he could do in SLC what he did here, in his first year as HC just like he did here... not happening.

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » January 10th, 2022, 5:22 pm

Bank Shot wrote:
January 10th, 2022, 4:34 pm
The one thing about the critique of Smith's recruiting that I don't get is the continued implication that Queta "fell in his lap". He brought Peterson from USD who was largely responsible for landing a once in a generation post player and then that staff developed him into an NBA draft pick.

Sam did fall into his lap, but that staff developed him into an NBA draft pick, which might not have happened otherwise. The development of Bean (not taking a thing away from his work ethic) and the subtle, yet very visible contributions made by guys like Quinn Taylor, Brito and Porter impressed me a lot.

Having said that, time will tell at Utah whether he can recruit on the Pac 12 level. Bottom line he's gone and I'm pretty darn happy with his replacement. Smith and Odom have different personalities, styles, etc., but I think they are both really good coaches.
Exactly, Craig is far from perfect, but he is a really good coach. The transformation he made with the team was incredible. Whether Queta fell into his lap or it was Petersen that did all the recruiting. To be honest I could care less he was the coach so ultimately it was under his watch that it happened under.
These users thanked the author Aggie84025 for the post:
AggiesForever

Real Life Aggie

Post by Real Life Aggie » January 10th, 2022, 5:23 pm

Aggie84025 wrote:
January 10th, 2022, 5:22 pm
Bank Shot wrote:
January 10th, 2022, 4:34 pm

Exactly, Craig is far from perfect, but he is a really good coach. The transformation he made with the team was incredible. Whether Queta fell into his lap or it was Petersen that did all the recruiting. To be honest I could care less he was the coach so ultimately it was under his watch that it happened under.
Also, I think we could speak to how he helped develop Sam. What would Sam say about Coach Smith's role in his development?

Aggiealum13

Post by Aggiealum13 » January 10th, 2022, 7:08 pm

aggieguy13 wrote:
When our team is whiter than BYU that's saying something.

aggies95

Post by aggies95 » January 10th, 2022, 7:46 pm

I'm appreciative of what Coach Smith did at Utah State. I'm still unsure how much credit to attribute to him.

Recruiting:

I give him credit for getting Queta here. But he missed an awful lot more than he hit in terms of recruiting. And not just misses - bad misses. Liam McChesney, Kuba, Zahar, T Knight, Zapala. Rollie is fine. Bairstow is finally coming on. Transfers - Phons, Marco were good players for us. But some of the recruiting whiffs were head scratchers. Queta outweighs every miss combined, but I was starting to doubt him on the recruiting front.

Coaching:

From a coaching standpoint, he played Brock more minutes than Bean last year. I'm still convinced if he had guarded Alston with anyone other than Brock with back spasms, we win both those games and win the regular season title. He refused to play Phonz at the 3 (the small sample size with Phonz starting at the 3 included a sweep of arguably the hottest team in the conference at the time - Nevada - in convincing fashion). He ran a million sets and didn't give the players much freedom. Not enough pick and roll with Neemi. Instead, force fed him on the block all season. Not a bad option, btw, but also really predictable and led to TOs in crucial games. He did have some great out of bounds plays, and his teams shared the ball well.

He relied on pack line defensive concepts and an NBA caliber center in Neemi. Notice that all of the sudden his defensive scheme has Utah as a below average defensive team. Crazy what happens when you don't have a National Defensive player of the year candidate anchoring your D.

His best attribute was that he got maximum effort out of his guys. That's no small feat. Half the battle is being engaged and playing hard for all 40 minutes. His teams did that. That's a huge part of coaching.

At the end of the day, the players he had (Queta, Merrill, and Bean) were too good to make a determination on the X's and O's front. For the good things he did, there were things that really made me scratch my head. Bottom line is without Smith, we don't get Neemi, and that alone was a huge reason for our success, regardless of his coaching ability. This may be crazy, but I don't see him being successful at a Power Conference, and I'd bet against him replicating his success at Utah State at a mid-major level if he ends up at that level again. Playing hard only gets you so far. I'm glad he came, but I don't thing we would've reached the top of the mountain again with him at the helm. Maybe he'll prove me wrong and find high levels of success again as a head coach.
These users thanked the author aggies95 for the post (total 3):
Aggie in BoiseJSHarveyIntermeddler

OrangeCountyAggie

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » January 11th, 2022, 1:27 pm

aggies95 wrote:
January 10th, 2022, 7:46 pm
I'm appreciative of what Coach Smith did at Utah State. I'm still unsure how much credit to attribute to him.

Recruiting:

I give him credit for getting Queta here. But he missed an awful lot more than he hit in terms of recruiting. And not just misses - bad misses. Liam McChesney, Kuba, Zahar, T Knight, Zapala. Rollie is fine. Bairstow is finally coming on. Transfers - Phons, Marco were good players for us. But some of the recruiting whiffs were head scratchers. Queta outweighs every miss combined, but I was starting to doubt him on the recruiting front.

Coaching:

From a coaching standpoint, he played Brock more minutes than Bean last year. I'm still convinced if he had guarded Alston with anyone other than Brock with back spasms, we win both those games and win the regular season title. He refused to play Phonz at the 3 (the small sample size with Phonz starting at the 3 included a sweep of arguably the hottest team in the conference at the time - Nevada - in convincing fashion). He ran a million sets and didn't give the players much freedom. Not enough pick and roll with Neemi. Instead, force fed him on the block all season. Not a bad option, btw, but also really predictable and led to TOs in crucial games. He did have some great out of bounds plays, and his teams shared the ball well.

He relied on pack line defensive concepts and an NBA caliber center in Neemi. Notice that all of the sudden his defensive scheme has Utah as a below average defensive team. Crazy what happens when you don't have a National Defensive player of the year candidate anchoring your D.

His best attribute was that he got maximum effort out of his guys. That's no small feat. Half the battle is being engaged and playing hard for all 40 minutes. His teams did that. That's a huge part of coaching.

At the end of the day, the players he had (Queta, Merrill, and Bean) were too good to make a determination on the X's and O's front. For the good things he did, there were things that really made me scratch my head. Bottom line is without Smith, we don't get Neemi, and that alone was a huge reason for our success, regardless of his coaching ability. This may be crazy, but I don't see him being successful at a Power Conference, and I'd bet against him replicating his success at Utah State at a mid-major level if he ends up at that level again. Playing hard only gets you so far. I'm glad he came, but I don't thing we would've reached the top of the mountain again with him at the helm. Maybe he'll prove me wrong and find high levels of success again as a head coach.
Great analysis! I agree with everything you said. His treatment of Phonz and Bean (at times) was puzzling. Also, he killed it the first two years but was unable to convert that momentum on the recruiting front. And he couldn't beat byu :bangwall:
These users thanked the author OrangeCountyAggie for the post:
aggies95

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » January 11th, 2022, 2:21 pm

Having seen how much of an offensive weapon and capable outside shooter Neemias has been in the D-league, I think Smith failed to use and develop Neemias appropriately. The skill progress from season's end until the draft was incredible.
These users thanked the author hipsterdoofus21 for the post:
LarryTheAggie

OrangeCountyAggie

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » January 11th, 2022, 4:37 pm

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
January 11th, 2022, 2:21 pm
Having seen how much of an offensive weapon and capable outside shooter Neemias has been in the D-league, I think Smith failed to use and develop Neemias appropriately. The skill progress from season's end until the draft was incredible.
He's always a nice shooting touch but you're right, wish we'd seen it more. What's worse, is Smith almost never ran pick and rolls, which is prevalent in NBA offenses. Can you imagine trying to guard a Merrill / Queta pick and roll? It'd been deadly!

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » January 11th, 2022, 5:57 pm

Aggie in Boise wrote:
January 10th, 2022, 4:16 pm
FloridaAggie13 wrote:

So what you're saying is that Timmy D hooked us up with the talent and should be credited with those three years of success. :joking:

I was pissed as hell when Timmy got canned. In fact I remember exactly where I was and what I was doing when I heard about his dismissal.
Like Weatherbie, Smith got the most out of players recruited by the previous coach while bringing in some key players.

With the same players, Chuck Shelton doesn't win the Las Vegas Bowl in '93 just like Timmy D. doesn't win back to back MWC Championships with the same players.

However, both showed they weren't able to recruit enough quantity of quality talent to reload.
These users thanked the author FloridaAggie13 for the post (total 2):
Aggie in BoiseAggiesForever

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » January 11th, 2022, 8:29 pm

Aggie in Boise wrote:
FloridaAggie13 wrote:

Are you serious? If so, I think you are one of only two people that was upset when he got axed. The other was a big Duryea fanboy that was probably a relative of his that used to post here.

bpd

Post by bpd » January 11th, 2022, 9:08 pm

As much as I enjoy Craig losing at Utah, you guys are being too harsh on him. He is a damn good X and O coach and he has proved this in his coaching career, not only at Utah St, but every stop he has had. His recruiting isn't great, but it is not as terrible as you guys are saying. Please let me know who the last great recruiter was at Utah State?

All this said, I hope he fails at Utah.
These users thanked the author bpd for the post (total 5):
Aggie in BoiseReal Life AggieJSHarveyIdaAg93AggiesForever

Aggie in Boise

Post by Aggie in Boise » January 11th, 2022, 9:57 pm

Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
January 11th, 2022, 8:29 pm
Aggie in Boise wrote:
FloridaAggie13 wrote:

Are you serious? If so, I think you are one of only two people that was upset when he got axed. The other was a big Duryea fanboy that was probably a relative of his that used to post here.
I was being sarcastic.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » January 11th, 2022, 10:02 pm

Aggie in Boise wrote:
January 11th, 2022, 9:57 pm
Aggie in Boise wrote:
FloridaAggie13 wrote:

I was being sarcastic.
:lol: Gotcha, it just made me think of the guy who used to post here that was a Duryea superfan and made me laugh.

Aggie in Boise

Post by Aggie in Boise » January 12th, 2022, 8:00 am

January 11th, 2022, 10:02 pm
Aggie in Boise wrote:
Aggie in Boise wrote:
FloridaAggie13 wrote:

I was being sarcastic.
:lol: Gotcha, it just made me think of the guy who used to post here that was a Duryea superfan and made me laugh.
I'm pretty sure that was Tim's son. I went into a Complete Nutrition shop in Meridian, Idaho, wearing a Utah State shirt, about a year after Tim got canned and the manager mentioned that he went to USU and then later mentioned that Tim was his father. He was upset with John Hartwell and the way things transpired with the canning of Tim. He felt that his dad deserved another year. He also mentioned that Brito was our ticket to getting Queta. Apparently Queta contacted Brito since he was from Portugal. The shop went out of business shortly after COVID first hit but the Duryea's owned and managed it. I'm pretty sure he was the guy you're referring to.
These users thanked the author Aggie in Boise for the post (total 2):
Aggie formerly in Hawaiiaggies22

FL350Aggie

Post by FL350Aggie » January 12th, 2022, 10:34 am

Don’t worry guys Smith will have conversations with his wife and she will eventually work out his roster problems for him at Utah and they will start winning games.
These users thanked the author FL350Aggie for the post (total 7):
Aggie in Boiseflying_scotsman2.0OrangeCountyAggieIdaAg93aggies22trevordudeaggieborn

Intermeddler

Post by Intermeddler » January 12th, 2022, 11:51 am

Aggie in Boise wrote:
January 12th, 2022, 8:00 am
January 11th, 2022, 10:02 pm
Aggie in Boise wrote:
Aggie in Boise wrote:
FloridaAggie13 wrote:

I was being sarcastic.
I'm pretty sure that was Tim's son. I went into a Complete Nutrition shop in Meridian, Idaho, wearing a Utah State shirt, about a year after Tim got canned and the manager mentioned that he went to USU and then later mentioned that Tim was his father. He was upset with John Hartwell and the way things transpired with the canning of Tim. He felt that his dad deserved another year. He also mentioned that Brito was our ticket to getting Queta. Apparently Queta contacted Brito since he was from Portugal. The shop went out of business shortly after COVID first hit but the Duryea's owned and managed it. I'm pretty sure he was the guy you're referring to.
You mean usu5477. Yeah that person had to be related to Tim.

Tim was a great guy (still is I assume) but was just not up to that job. Perhaps if Stew had stepped down a few years earlier and he had been announced as an immediate successor he could have kept what Stew had going, but taking over in the middle of some lean years after Stew had more or less seemed to disengage and after it was apparent that Barnes wanted to hire almost anyone else, well, he never had a chance.
These users thanked the author Intermeddler for the post:
aggies22

Pacobag

Post by Pacobag » January 12th, 2022, 12:14 pm

Intermeddler wrote:
January 12th, 2022, 11:51 am
I wonder if Tim’s son is 44 years old and likes Star Wars…. May the fourth be with him.
These users thanked the author Pacobag for the post (total 2):
Intermeddleraggies22

dirtnsnow

Post by dirtnsnow » January 12th, 2022, 12:41 pm

Pacobag wrote:
January 12th, 2022, 12:14 pm
Intermeddler wrote:
January 12th, 2022, 11:51 am
I wonder if Tim’s son is 44 years old and likes Star Wars…. May the fourth be with him.
I also wonder what his password is.

Aggies All the Way!

flying_scotsman2.0

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » January 12th, 2022, 1:18 pm

FL350Aggie wrote:
January 12th, 2022, 10:34 am
Don’t worry guys Smith will have conversations with his wife and she will eventually work out his roster problems for him at Utah and they will start winning games.
"I was just sitting in bed one night puzzling why Abel wasn't getting the start, or more minutes. Finally my wife said, 'honey, you're the head coach, don't you make those decisions?' Confused, I wandered into the shower to let the water rush smoothly over my head and hopefully help me understand her words. And that's when it dawned on me. I COULD GIVE HIM MORE MINUTES. Since that day, Abel has gotten more playing time."
These users thanked the author flying_scotsman2.0 for the post (total 3):
FL350Aggieaggies22aggieborn

OrangeCountyAggie

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » January 12th, 2022, 2:15 pm

FL350Aggie wrote:
January 12th, 2022, 10:34 am
LMAO, well done! :notworthy:

Locked Previous topicNext topic