Rescheduling

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
treesap32

Rescheduling

Post by treesap32 » January 3rd, 2022, 2:14 pm

I think it's a huge mistake that the MWC is letting multiple healthy teams sit at home with cancelled games this week while they could be pairing up and getting games completed.

Completing games now with healthy teams opens up slots later in the year, makes it easier to reschedule and guarantees games are played NOW. If we just let healthy teams sit on their hands we risk being unable to reschedule games, and these healthy teams will likely become unhealthy at some point in the year further complicating the situation.

I don't know what's going on behind the scenes, but the conference should be taking charge in pairing up teams and sending them off to play. Venues could allow ticket holders with tickets for that date simply attend against the replacement team. The makeup game (if it happens which I find unlikely) could in an ideal situation be played on the opened up slot and those ticket holders could see the makeup team at that time.

It's really really frustrating me to to see the conference not being proactive here and stating that games will be "rescheduled". Very few will be rescheduled. The longer they sit in their hands the more games will be lost.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

These users thanked the author treesap32 for the post (total 7):
flying_scotsman2.0aggies1Real Life AggieRoy McAvoy3rdGenAggieCastIronAggietrevordude

aggies1
Pick'em Champ - '20 BB Predict The Score & '20 FB Bowl

Re: Rescheduling

Post by aggies1 » January 3rd, 2022, 2:43 pm

I couldn't agree more! So frustrating!! :bangwall:
treesap32 wrote:
January 3rd, 2022, 2:14 pm
I think it's a huge mistake that the MWC is letting multiple healthy teams sit at home with cancelled games this week while they could be pairing up and getting games completed.

Completing games now with healthy teams opens up slots later in the year, makes it easier to reschedule and guarantees games are played NOW. If we just let healthy teams sit on their hands we risk being unable to reschedule games, and these healthy teams will likely become unhealthy at some point in the year further complicating the situation.

I don't know what's going on behind the scenes, but the conference should be taking charge in pairing up teams and sending them off to play. Venues could allow ticket holders with tickets for that date simply attend against the replacement team. The makeup game (if it happens which I find unlikely) could in an ideal situation be played on the opened up slot and those ticket holders could see the makeup team at that time.

It's really really frustrating me to to see the conference not being proactive here and stating that games will be "rescheduled". Very few will be rescheduled. The longer they sit in their hands the more games will be lost.

AggieFBObsession

Post by AggieFBObsession » January 3rd, 2022, 2:48 pm

The conference is a corporation governed by laws just like any other corporation. Thus, they are liable to be sued just like any other corporation.

I agree with your premise, but their hands may be tied to a certain extent. You might say, well, other conferences do this. That's not exactly true. It's the TV organizations who do this and they don't have to worry about playing favorites. They simply do what makes them money. The conferences have a different relationship with their member institutions.

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » January 3rd, 2022, 3:02 pm

Sued by ticket holders? For $17? Would they rather see game with another opponent on the date they already have free or no game at all?

I'm guessing TV stations would rather broadcast a differing opponent than reruns was well. Not playing the game is a net loss for them as well

AggieFBObsession

Post by AggieFBObsession » January 3rd, 2022, 3:49 pm

treesap32 wrote:
January 3rd, 2022, 3:02 pm
Sued by ticket holders? For $17?
I'm guessing TV stations would rather broadcast a differing opponent than reruns was well. Not playing the game is a net loss for them as well
Your first point. No. The conferences are liable to their member institutions according to the contracts they've agreed upon.

Your second point, I couldn't agree more.

AggieFBObsession

Post by AggieFBObsession » January 3rd, 2022, 4:02 pm

'sap

I'm basically saying, be careful not to vilify the conference office too much here, because there's more to it than meets the eye.

However, both TV and conferences, among many other organizations around the country have been slow to react to new Covid variants as they've arisen.

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » January 3rd, 2022, 4:05 pm

I'm thinking the NCAA basketball season/tournament will not happen this year. I would be surprised if conference tournaments happen.

Eutaw St. Aggie

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » January 3rd, 2022, 4:06 pm

Point taken, @AggieFBObsession . I hope you understand my (probably selfish) frustration though. I realize it's not as easy as I'm making it out to be, but I believe it is POSSIBLE if teams and the conference wanted to make it happen. Things would need to be done very proactively AS SOON AS you find out a game is unable to be played.

Here are the games that are postposed for Tuesday / Wednesday of this week:

Healthy teams:

Utah State
San Diego State
Nevada
UNLV

You would think they could pair those 4 teams up and knock out two games at a minimum here. But this late in the game (Monday night) is pushing it now. Should've acted quickly like Nevada did a few days ago with scheduling Kansas.
These users thanked the author treesap32 for the post:
AggieFBObsession

nvspuds

Post by nvspuds » January 3rd, 2022, 5:42 pm

Kansas called Nevada and set that up..

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » January 3rd, 2022, 7:09 pm

treesap32 wrote:
January 3rd, 2022, 2:14 pm

Yep, we need games. Schedule games against future opponents it then opens up free dates later on.

AGinNEIowa
Pick'em Champ - '15, '16, '17 WTHCG

Post by AGinNEIowa » January 3rd, 2022, 8:46 pm

WCC and MVC teams were able to figure something out. This should be a good game

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » January 3rd, 2022, 9:04 pm

AGinNEIowa wrote:
January 3rd, 2022, 8:46 pm

If teams 2000 miles apart can schedule something last minute the conference could schedule teams that are available within the same conference to keep games going.

dogie

Post by dogie » January 3rd, 2022, 9:13 pm

It might have been mentioned here, but 8 of the first 14 conference games have been cancelled.

Intermeddler

Post by Intermeddler » January 3rd, 2022, 10:46 pm

treesap32 wrote:
January 3rd, 2022, 4:06 pm
Point taken, @AggieFBObsession . I hope you understand my (probably selfish) frustration though. I realize it's not as easy as I'm making it out to be, but I believe it is POSSIBLE if teams and the conference wanted to make it happen. Things would need to be done very proactively AS SOON AS you find out a game is unable to be played.

Here are the games that are postposed for Tuesday / Wednesday of this week:

Healthy teams:

Utah State
San Diego State
Nevada
UNLV

You would think they could pair those 4 teams up and knock out two games at a minimum here. But this late in the game (Monday night) is pushing it now. Should've acted quickly like Nevada did a few days ago with scheduling Kansas.
Agreed. This will cycle through every team so once the teams with current outbreaks are healthy the currently healthy teams will probably be dealing with it and we will lose 3-4 weeks of games.

I have no idea why a member institution would sue the conference if the conference tried to rearrange the schedule or what the cause of action would even be, and I imagine the conference bylaws give the league a lot of discretion in something like this. Teams could refuse to play a rescheduled game if it came to that. I agree it is more complicated than just saying you will play this team now, but litigation isn't really a concern in my view.

OKAggie

Post by OKAggie » January 4th, 2022, 8:58 am

dogie wrote:
January 3rd, 2022, 9:13 pm
It might have been mentioned here, but 8 of the first 14 conference games have been cancelled.
Oddly, only three of the first 15 women's conference games have been cancelled. What's going on?

Nobody here knows anything.

MalAgua

Post by MalAgua » January 4th, 2022, 9:13 am

OKAggie wrote:
January 4th, 2022, 8:58 am
dogie wrote:
Oddly, only three of the first 15 women's conference games have been cancelled. What's going on?
Girls are less gross than boys.
These users thanked the author MalAgua for the post:
Real Life Aggie

Real Life Aggie

Post by Real Life Aggie » January 4th, 2022, 9:21 am

MalAgua wrote:
January 4th, 2022, 9:13 am
OKAggie wrote:
dogie wrote:

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » January 4th, 2022, 10:11 am

AGinNEIowa wrote:

While that's cool, that's not the game that should be scheduled. At this point in the season, all efforts should be made to get teams their full conference slate. Both teams should have been matched up with teams in their conferences that weren't shut down. It's great that they are playing someone but this is just a replacement for previously canceled OOC games at a time that confefences should be trying to figure out how to get conference games played.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » January 4th, 2022, 10:46 am

ProvoAggie wrote:
January 4th, 2022, 10:11 am
AGinNEIowa wrote:

While that's cool, that's not the game that should be scheduled. At this point in the season, all efforts should be made to get teams their full conference slate. Both teams should have been matched up with teams in their conferences that weren't shut down. It's great that they are playing someone but this is just a replacement for previously canceled OOC games at a time that confefences should be trying to figure out how to get conference games played.
I completely agree, it is just frustrating that the Aggies will sit for a week and half and have lost 2 games when it seems like at least 1 game against another team from the conference that lost a game should have been played. There is going to be no way to make up all the games missed later on the conference should have been proactive in matching teams up right now.

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » January 4th, 2022, 10:46 am

It's extremely frustrating to me.

SLB

Post by SLB » January 4th, 2022, 10:53 am

There is a good side to this. We need to rest players from their injuries

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » January 4th, 2022, 10:56 am

AGinNEIowa wrote:

I'm assuming they will play in a "big venue" for this neutral court game. Like East High? Or in the third ward chapel?

Eutaw St. Aggie

dirtnsnow

Post by dirtnsnow » January 4th, 2022, 11:05 am

Yossarian wrote:
January 4th, 2022, 10:56 am
AGinNEIowa wrote:

I'm assuming they will play in a "big venue" for this neutral court game. Like East High? Or in the third ward chapel?
No, they're going to the stake center with the full court. Third Ward just has the half court with the carpet.

Aggies All the Way!

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » January 4th, 2022, 11:16 am

dirtnsnow wrote:
January 4th, 2022, 11:05 am
Yossarian wrote:
January 4th, 2022, 10:56 am
AGinNEIowa wrote:

No, they're going to the stake center with the full court. Third Ward just has the half court with the carpet.
Salt Lake Community College to be exact.
These users thanked the author GameFAQSAggie for the post (total 2):
ProvoAggietreesap32

Bank Shot

Post by Bank Shot » January 4th, 2022, 11:30 am

SLB wrote:
January 4th, 2022, 10:53 am
You are the early 2022 leader in the Putting Lipstick on a Pig contest.

SLB

Post by SLB » January 4th, 2022, 11:35 am

Bank Shot wrote:
January 4th, 2022, 11:30 am
SLB wrote:
I just pointing out that we have players like Miller. Miller could use some rest because of his back.

MrBiggle

Post by MrBiggle » January 4th, 2022, 12:32 pm

SLB wrote:
January 4th, 2022, 11:35 am
Bank Shot wrote:
January 4th, 2022, 11:30 am
SLB wrote:
I just pointing out that we have players like Miller. Miller could use some rest because of his back.
He had all off-season to rest his back. That ship has sailed.
These users thanked the author MrBiggle for the post (total 2):
OrangeCountyAggieAggiesForever

Where only sage brush grows

Aggiealum13

Post by Aggiealum13 » January 4th, 2022, 12:59 pm

AGinNEIowa wrote:

WCC has Thursday and Saturday game setups. That setup makes it much easier for them to reschedule a cancelled game on a Monday or Tuesday. MWC has a Wednesday and Saturday setup. Much harder except for maybe squeezing a Monday.

travelingagg

Post by travelingagg » January 4th, 2022, 1:23 pm

For tonight's postponed Boise State vs. Utah State game, is Utah State or Boise State unable to play? I see, notably, that Wyoming, Nevada, #22 Xavier, and Georgetown's games are all postponed. Seems like as soon as we know a game can't be played because of an opponent, it could be a good opportunity to schedule a game against an interesting opponent. Would love to see some timing overlap with WCC and PAC-12 schools. Maybe we can re-start the Utah State/Utah series.

Jordan Nathan’s #27 Fan

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » January 4th, 2022, 2:08 pm

How does scheduling work? Does the NCAA or the individual conferences have to approve a team's schedule? Or can a school go and schedule whomever they want and play the games wherever they want? Does a school have to have a schedule set before the season starts, or can they leave open dates to play games they pick up along the way? Is there a minimum number of games a team is required to play? I don't know how that works?

Eutaw St. Aggie

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » January 4th, 2022, 4:12 pm

travelingagg wrote:
January 4th, 2022, 1:23 pm
For tonight's postponed Boise State vs. Utah State game, is Utah State or Boise State unable to play? I see, notably, that Wyoming, Nevada, #22 Xavier, and Georgetown's games are all postponed. Seems like as soon as we know a game can't be played because of an opponent, it could be a good opportunity to schedule a game against an interesting opponent. Would love to see some timing overlap with WCC and PAC-12 schools. Maybe we can re-start the Utah State/Utah series.
Tonight's game was canceled because of Boise. One of the problems that USU is facing right now is that we didn't lose any OOC games to Covid so if the conference were to actually make every game up, we can't play any additional games. By scheduling another opponent we are basically telling the conference that we won't play one of our conference games. Most teams seem to have lost at least 1 OOC games which provides them with a bit more flexibility. When you see these additional games get scheduled they are actually replacing previously canceled OOC games.
These users thanked the author ProvoAggie for the post (total 2):
MrBiggletravelingagg

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » January 4th, 2022, 4:17 pm

Yossarian wrote:
January 4th, 2022, 2:08 pm
How does scheduling work? Does the NCAA or the individual conferences have to approve a team's schedule? Or can a school go and schedule whomever they want and play the games wherever they want? Does a school have to have a schedule set before the season starts, or can they leave open dates to play games they pick up along the way? Is there a minimum number of games a team is required to play? I don't know how that works?
Team's can schedule whoever they want around the guidelines set by the conference. Occasionally the conference blocks out dates outside of the typical OOC period where games can't be played. Other than that it's up to the school to schedule. Each team is able to schedule up to 29 games if they are in a MTE or 28 plus an MTE for a total of 31. USU scheduled the limit of 31 so any additional OOC games would put us over the limit if all conference games were to be played.
https://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/me ... t-proposal
These users thanked the author ProvoAggie for the post:
Yossarian

ususports

Post by ususports » January 4th, 2022, 5:09 pm

MalAgua wrote:
January 4th, 2022, 9:13 am
OKAggie wrote:
dogie wrote:
That’s not true one out of four weeks every month.

AGinNEIowa
Pick'em Champ - '15, '16, '17 WTHCG

Post by AGinNEIowa » January 4th, 2022, 6:24 pm

ProvoAggie wrote:
January 4th, 2022, 10:11 am
AGinNEIowa wrote:

I'm not saying that's the game that should be scheduled - I'm saying that if these two teams from different conferences and 2k+ miles apart can get an arrangement made when one team has a covid pause- then surely the Mountain West could figure out some alternate opportunities when nearly 1/4 the league can't play.

bpd

Post by bpd » January 4th, 2022, 7:53 pm

I agree, the MWC should have been scheduling games with all this downtime. That said, I would be shocked if USU doesn't have any cases right now.

Locked Previous topicNext topic