Bean in the NBA

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
OrangeCountyAggie

Bean in the NBA

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » November 27th, 2021, 12:28 am

I started this discussion two and a half years ago but needs to be resurfaced as it's looking more like a reality. John Hollinger talked about Bean in an article discussing NBA draft prospects:

https://theathletic.com/2976191/2021/11 ... ht-my-eye/

From the article:

Justin Bean, senior SF/PF, Utah State
As in “jumping Bean.” The first thing that stands out about Bean is his bounciness off two feet and his great hands in crowds, qualities which enable him to inhale rebounds by the boatload. He goes waaaayy out of his zone for a lot of them, too, especially on the offensive glass; the result is a sparking 20.9 Rebound Rate for a player who stands just 6-7.

Scouts had always been attracted to that part of his game, but his shooting form looked more like Mr. Bean. Not any more. Bean has unleashed a legit 3-point weapon in the early part of this season, which makes him look very much the part of an NBA forward. Bean has made 10 of his 16 3-point attempts thus far after making ten all season in 2020-21; he’s also more than doubled his scoring average. As a career 80.9 percent foul shooter, there is at least some reason to believe that he can continue being a halfway decent 3-point threat.

As a result, Bean might be the one player who has most helped his draft trajectory in the early part of the year. The other indicators (high steal rate, leaping ability, mid-50s 2-point percentages every year) were all there, so his name needs to start popping up on draft boards. While Bean doesn’t have a dynamic handle, he could be a pretty good energy role player if he’s merely an average shooter.
These users thanked the author OrangeCountyAggie for the post:
Real Life Aggie

brownjeans
Flatulent

Re: Bean in the NBA

Post by brownjeans » November 27th, 2021, 5:09 am

His shot is still weird to watch, but if it keeps going in... does it matter what it looks like?
These users thanked the author brownjeans for the post:
frankiesaysrelax

frankiesaysrelax

Post by frankiesaysrelax » November 27th, 2021, 6:57 am

brownjeans wrote:
November 27th, 2021, 5:09 am
His shot is still weird to watch, but if it keeps going in... does it matter what it looks like?
Shawn Marion and bill Cartwright had the worst shots I’ve ever seen and beans is way better thank theirs. It just matters where the ball is released and bean let’s it fly at the top and straight. I’m not sure why he starts at his chest and i always think he’s going to get blocked but he gets it off over his defenders every time.
These users thanked the author frankiesaysrelax for the post:
brownjeans

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » November 27th, 2021, 12:01 pm

Remember Jamaal Wilkes? His shooting form was an abomination and he had a long NBA career.

Eutaw St. Aggie

utaggies

Post by utaggies » November 27th, 2021, 5:32 pm

Yossarian wrote:
November 27th, 2021, 12:01 pm
Remember Jamaal Wilkes? His shooting form was an abomination and he had a long NBA career.
Wilkes’ shot was from behind his ear. But it had a higher trajectory than Bean’s. I am always surprised that Bean’s chest shots don’t get blocked.

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » November 27th, 2021, 5:40 pm

utaggies wrote:
November 27th, 2021, 5:32 pm
Yossarian wrote:
November 27th, 2021, 12:01 pm
Wilkes’ shot was from behind his ear. But it had a higher trajectory than Bean’s. I am always surprised that Bean’s chest shots don’t get blocked.
Wilkes form just didn't seem like a repeatable form, to me. There were so many moving parts to circle that ball around his head and shoot from behind his ear. I was amazed he could make anything with that form.

Eutaw St. Aggie

AGinNEIowa
Pick'em Champ - '15, '16, '17 WTHCG

Post by AGinNEIowa » November 27th, 2021, 5:57 pm

is that a Bruce Springsteen song?

Is Moore a deadman's down??
These users thanked the author AGinNEIowa for the post:
USU78

OrangeCountyAggie

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » November 28th, 2021, 2:42 am

brownjeans wrote:
November 27th, 2021, 5:09 am
Seems he's shooting a little bit higher up his chest this year which has played huge dividends. Still looks goofy but not as bad as last year IMO.

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » November 28th, 2021, 3:28 am

I asked this in chat during the UTA game but didn't get a lot of discussion. Would you say Bean has a better chance of making it in the NBA than the Collinsworth kid that played at BYU a few years ago? That kid was the WCC player of the year and three time all conference player. He set the NCAA record for triple doubles - so he could score, rebound and pass. He is only an inch shorter than Bean and can handle the ball much better. That kid hardly got a sniff in the NBA. I think he made a team as a free agent but didn't play much (I'll have to check on that). Does Bean have a better skill set or bring more to the table than a guy like that?

Eutaw St. Aggie

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » November 28th, 2021, 3:41 am

Yossarian wrote:
November 28th, 2021, 3:28 am
I asked this in chat during the UTA game but didn't get a lot of discussion. Would you say Bean has a better chance of making it in the NBA than the Collinsworth kid that played at BYU a few years ago? That kid was the WCC player of the year and three time all conference player. He set the NCAA record for triple doubles - so he could score, rebound and pass. He is only an inch shorter than Bean and can handle the ball much better. That kid hardly got a sniff in the NBA. I think he made a team as a free agent but didn't play much (I'll have to check on that). Does Bean have a better skill set or bring more to the table than a guy like that?
I don't remember Collinsworth at all. I don't follow BYU in the slightest. But if the question is does Bean have a chance of playing in the NBA? No. I don't think so. It's not because he can't; he won't get the opportunity.

Bean will get invited to a training camp and that's about it.
Merrill and Queta require less of an open mind than Bean and they are barely getting a chance.
Last edited by brownjeans on November 28th, 2021, 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author brownjeans for the post:
CastIronAggie

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » November 28th, 2021, 8:55 am

To make it in the NBA at Bean’s age is really hard to do. I think he’ll either grad transfer to an elite academic school or go play pro in europe after this year.

TrueAG

Post by TrueAG » November 28th, 2021, 1:22 pm

Bean could be a Brian Cardinal like NBA player. Rebounding and hustling. But I think his age and the fact that NBA teams barely go after offensive rebounds, so you have to be an elite defender or shooter at Beans size.

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » November 28th, 2021, 4:02 pm

Bean will be a fine European player. A potential fan favorite with his ukulele skills

Eutaw St. Aggie

OrangeCountyAggie

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » November 29th, 2021, 12:48 pm

Man, a lot of Debbie downers on this board! The high demand for utility-type players in the NBA will get him drafted or at least a two-way contract. Think Eric Paschall, Duncan Robinson, Jay Crowder, etc.

FeartheFro

Post by FeartheFro » November 29th, 2021, 2:29 pm

I can’t believe we are even talking about having another Aggie drafted. After the drought we have had, it is quite incredible this is even being discussed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author FeartheFro for the post:
flying_scotsman2.0

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » November 29th, 2021, 2:30 pm

TrueAG wrote:
November 28th, 2021, 1:22 pm
Bean could be a Brian Cardinal like NBA player. Rebounding and hustling. But I think his age and the fact that NBA teams barely go after offensive rebounds, so you have to be an elite defender or shooter at Beans size.
The Custodian!!!

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » December 1st, 2021, 8:37 am

You guys remember Markelle Fultz? His shooting form was quite an adventure.

I remember those free throws against the Jazz. I couldn't believe my eyes. Watch to the end of the video for the "pump fake" free throws.

Mr. Sneelock

Post by Mr. Sneelock » December 1st, 2021, 9:52 am

Yossarian wrote:
Short answer: no.

Longer answer: absolutely not.

Bean will have a good professional basketball career, but has virtually no chance in the NBA. He might get a training camp invite, but won't get drafted.

I watch a lot of NBA basketball. It is a different game than the college game, and a different skill set is required. He is probably too old to be drafted at all, and to stick in the NBA, you have to have at least one (preferably 2) elite skills. While he is pretty good at everything, he doesn't really have an elite skill other than rebounding. And while rebounding tends to translate well to the NBA, it is becoming much less important -than it used to be, and much less important than it is in the college game. Most teams just concede the rebound on a missed shot and try to get back on defense in transition. That is because NBA offenses are designed to get baskets in transition first, and then if that doesn't work, either work in isolation or ball movement for an open 3. They use extreme athletic ability to their advantage.

I hate the "compare white guys to other white guys" tendency, I feel like to stick in the NBA, Bean would have to have a Joe Ingles skillset - good ball handler, adequate defender, and world-class shooter. They are about the same size. While Bean has shown improved range this year, I don't see him becoming a knock-down NBA 3 point shooter anytime soon. And let's not kid ourselves. Joe Ingles is a much, much better player than Justin Bean. That shooting form is OK in college, but rare is the guy in the NBA with bad shooting form. Everyone points to Shawn Marion, but he is the exception - and was a freak athlete. Bean is a decent athlete, but probably isn't bouncy enough. He can't really create his own shot, and isn't a great ball-handler. NBA defenders will block that low-trajectory shot because they won't have to respect him off the bounce.

Most important attributes for an NBA player (in order - my opinion)
1. Athleticism (speed and jumping ability)
2. Shooting
3. Length
4. Ball Handling
5. Size
6. Defense

Bean is below average for an NBA athlete, is a below-average long-range shooter, has average length, is a below-average ball handler, and has average size. I am not sure he will be an above average defender in the NBA either.

I don't mean to crap on Bean. I love him in an Aggie uniform. He is a very good college player, but doesn't really project to the NBA. There are a lot of guys like that every year. Just my opinion.
These users thanked the author Mr. Sneelock for the post (total 2):
YossarianAggieBlues

Formerly TulsAGGIE

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » December 1st, 2021, 10:07 am

Mr. Sneelock wrote:
December 1st, 2021, 9:52 am
Yossarian wrote:

Bean will have a good professional basketball career, but has virtually no chance in the NBA. He might get a training camp invite, but won't get drafted.

I watch a lot of NBA basketball. It is a different game than the college game, and a different skill set is required. He is probably too old to be drafted at all, and to stick in the NBA, you have to have at least one (preferably 2) elite skills. While he is pretty good at everything, he doesn't really have an elite skill other than rebounding. And while rebounding tends to translate well to the NBA, it is becoming much less important -than it used to be, and much less important than it is in the college game. Most teams just concede the rebound on a missed shot and try to get back on defense in transition. That is because NBA offenses are designed to get baskets in transition first, and then if that doesn't work, either work in isolation or ball movement for an open 3. They use extreme athletic ability to their advantage.

I hate the "compare white guys to other white guys" tendency, I feel like to stick in the NBA, Bean would have to have a Joe Ingles skillset - good ball handler, adequate defender, and world-class shooter. They are about the same size. While Bean has shown improved range this year, I don't see him becoming a knock-down NBA 3 point shooter anytime soon. And let's not kid ourselves. Joe Ingles is a much, much better player than Justin Bean. That shooting form is OK in college, but rare is the guy in the NBA with bad shooting form. Everyone points to Shawn Marion, but he is the exception - and was a freak athlete. Bean is a decent athlete, but probably isn't bouncy enough. He can't really create his own shot, and isn't a great ball-handler. NBA defenders will block that low-trajectory shot because they won't have to respect him off the bounce.

2. Shooting
3. Length
4. Ball Handling
5. Size
6. Defense

Bean is below average for an NBA athlete, is a below-average long-range shooter, has average length, is a below-average ball handler, and has average size. I am not sure he will be an above average defender in the NBA either.

I don't mean to crap on Bean. I love him in an Aggie uniform. He is a very good college player, but doesn't really project to the NBA. There are a lot of guys like that every year. Just my opinion.
I would agree - on all points. Well stated.

Eutaw St. Aggie

Mr. Sneelock

Post by Mr. Sneelock » December 1st, 2021, 10:21 am

Yossarian wrote:
December 1st, 2021, 10:07 am
Mr. Sneelock wrote:
Yossarian wrote:

2. Shooting
3. Length
4. Ball Handling
5. Size
6. Defense

Also, one other point on the rebounding. The reason it is becoming less important is because most teams are taking an analytics-driven approach. The analytics say that it is statistically better on a points gained basis to concede the rebound and get back to stop the transition offense.

Formerly TulsAGGIE

hickaggie

Post by hickaggie » December 1st, 2021, 10:59 am

Mr. Sneelock wrote:
December 1st, 2021, 10:21 am
Yossarian wrote:
Mr. Sneelock wrote:
Yossarian wrote:

2. Shooting
3. Length
4. Ball Handling
5. Size
6. Defense

Also, one other point on the rebounding. The reason it is becoming less important is because most teams are taking an analytics-driven approach. The analytics say that it is statistically better on a points gained basis to concede the rebound and get back to stop the transition offense.
Rebounding translates to any level but as you have pointed out the devaluing of offensive rebounding is the biggest strike against Bean. Honestly if his 3 pt shot is there along with the rest of his skill set he could make an NBA squad if he proves to be an elite defender. However, my observations are that he is above average but not to that level. The improvements he has made this year should translate into a long and prosperous European Career.

LoveMyAggies

Post by LoveMyAggies » December 1st, 2021, 12:58 pm

hickaggie wrote:
December 1st, 2021, 10:59 am
Mr. Sneelock wrote:
Yossarian wrote:
Mr. Sneelock wrote:
Yossarian wrote:

2. Shooting
3. Length
4. Ball Handling
5. Size
6. Defense

Rebounding translates to any level but as you have pointed out the devaluing of offensive rebounding is the biggest strike against Bean. Honestly if his 3 pt shot is there along with the rest of his skill set he could make an NBA squad if he proves to be an elite defender. However, my observations are that he is above average but not to that level. The improvements he has made this year should translate into a long and prosperous European Career.
I generally agree with the general points made about what NBA teams value in terms of player metrics and production. I also agree with the assessment of Bean's current level of ability of play. He definitely isn't Joe Ingles. You are wrong however, and respectfully disagree that NBA teams don't value offensive rebounding. look at the stats.

These teams clearly value offensive rebounds.

As you look at the overall rebounding metrics see this ..

I think Bean has a chance at late second round, and sticking with a team as a bench role player. However, as mentioned in the thread it's very real possibility he could make more $$ playing overseas as a starter and potential allstar of one of those Euroleagues.

For Bean to make an impact in the NBA he needs to continue to develop his jump shot, because let's face it 90% of the players who are in the NBA have PG skills at the 3 spot which is who Bean would matchup against. Clearly he's not an NBA starter level talent. He would have to be 15 min game guy off the bench and push the envelope in hustle plays, and be a rebounding monster.

I think overall... since the metrics are much much tighter on total rebounding, the assertion that Generally rebounding is not as highly valued would apply to 75% of the teams. It only takes one team of the other 25% who say, yeah lets' take a chance on this Bean kid. Let's see if having him in the mix of our team with his effort and hustle, rebounding fits with our guys on the floor.

If I had to bet $$ though, I'd say he'd make more money overseas long-term. However, I really do hope it works out in his favor, and one of these teams takes a chance on him.
These users thanked the author LoveMyAggies for the post (total 2):
OrangeCountyAggieAggie in Boise

OrangeCountyAggie

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » December 1st, 2021, 1:03 pm

Mr. Sneelock wrote:
Yossarian wrote:

2. Shooting
3. Length
4. Ball Handling
5. Size
6. Defense

I disagree. He may not get drafted, but he has a far better chance to play in the NBA than you give him credit for. Looking at your criteria:

1. Athleticism (speed and jumping ability) - Bean is an elite athlete! You have your "white guy" blinders on if you think otherwise. He will test far better than people realize and his elite athleticism is why he's able to do the things he does at such a high level (out-rebound, blow by guys on cuts, etc.)
2. Shooting - deadly in the mid-range, decent enough from 3 (58.8% this year so far, will likely be above 40% by the end of the year). Is also a career 80% FT shooter.
3. Length - Again will probably test well here. He consistently out-reaches guys for loose balls and high-pointing rebounds.
4. Ball Handling - good enough for his position.
5. Size - Good height for an NBA 3 but will likely be a rangy 4. Versatile, athletic 6'6''-6'8" PF are the in-vouge in the NBA. That said, he'll still need to put on some more muscle mass, which I'm confident he'll do.
6. Defense - Elite one on one defender and has quick feet. He is constantly helping other teammates when they get blown by (aka Brock Miller). He is also great at boding up a bigger guys and holds his ground without fouling.

Face it, another Aggie will be joining the NBA ranks next season :utah: :state:
Last edited by OrangeCountyAggie on December 1st, 2021, 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author OrangeCountyAggie for the post:
Aggie in Boise

OrangeCountyAggie

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » December 1st, 2021, 1:09 pm

LoveMyAggies wrote:
December 1st, 2021, 12:58 pm
hickaggie wrote:
December 1st, 2021, 10:59 am
Mr. Sneelock wrote:
Yossarian wrote:
Mr. Sneelock wrote:
Yossarian wrote:

2. Shooting
3. Length
4. Ball Handling
5. Size
6. Defense

I generally agree with the general points made about what NBA teams value in terms of player metrics and production. I also agree with the assessment of Bean's current level of ability of play. He definitely isn't Joe Ingles. You are wrong however, and respectfully disagree that NBA teams don't value offensive rebounding. look at the stats.

These teams clearly value offensive rebounds.

As you look at the overall rebounding metrics see this ..

I think Bean has a chance at late second round, and sticking with a team as a bench role player. However, as mentioned in the thread it's very real possibility he could make more $$ playing overseas as a starter and potential allstar of one of those Euroleagues.

For Bean to make an impact in the NBA he needs to continue to develop his jump shot, because let's face it 90% of the players who are in the NBA have PG skills at the 3 spot which is who Bean would matchup against. Clearly he's not an NBA starter level talent. He would have to be 15 min game guy off the bench and push the envelope in hustle plays, and be a rebounding monster.

I think overall... since the metrics are much much tighter on total rebounding, the assertion that Generally rebounding is not as highly valued would apply to 75% of the teams. It only takes one team of the other 25% who say, yeah lets' take a chance on this Bean kid. Let's see if having him in the mix of our team with his effort and hustle, rebounding fits with our guys on the floor.

If I had to bet $$ though, I'd say he'd make more money overseas long-term. However, I really do hope it works out in his favor, and one of these teams takes a chance on him.
Well said. The bottom line is he has a unique skill set. Intrigue alone will get him to an NBA camp and maybe even a second-round look.

Mr. Sneelock

Post by Mr. Sneelock » December 1st, 2021, 2:02 pm

OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
December 1st, 2021, 1:03 pm
Mr. Sneelock wrote:
Yossarian wrote:

2. Shooting
3. Length
4. Ball Handling
5. Size
6. Defense

I disagree. He may not get drafted, but he has a far better chance to play in the NBA than you give him credit for. Looking at your criteria:

1. Athleticism (speed and jumping ability) - Bean is an elite athlete! You have your "white guy" blinders on if you think otherwise. He will test far better than people realize and his elite athleticism is why he's able to do the things he does at such a high level (out-rebound, blow by guys on cuts, etc.)
2. Shooting - deadly in the mid-range, decent enough from 3 (58.8% this year so far, will likely be above 40% by the end of the year). Is also a career 80% FT shooter.
3. Length - Again will probably test well here. He consistently out-reaches guys for loose balls and high-pointing rebounds.
5. Size - Good height for an NBA 3 but will likely be a rangy 4. Versatile, athletic 6'6''-6'8" PF are the in-vouge in the NBA. That said, he'll still need to put on some more muscle mass, which I'm confident he'll do.
6. Defense - Elite one on one defender and has quick feet. He is constantly helping other teammates when they get blown by (aka Brock Miller). He is also great at boding up a bigger guys and holds his ground without fouling.

I think you might have blue goggles on, my friend. NBA level athleticism jumps out at you at the college level and is obvious. Bean is pretty athletic. But he definitely isn't elite by NBA standards. He stands out a bit athletically amongst his teammates, but well, that isn't exactly surprising if you know what I mean.

Formerly TulsAGGIE

GoldcoastAggie
Has thanked: 0

Post by GoldcoastAggie » December 1st, 2021, 3:16 pm

His matchup with Keegan Murray should be interesting. Murray is looking like a potential top ten pick.

Aggie in Boise

Post by Aggie in Boise » December 1st, 2021, 3:39 pm

OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
Mr. Sneelock wrote:
Yossarian wrote:

2. Shooting
3. Length
4. Ball Handling
5. Size
6. Defense

This^

"We've upped our standards, so UP YOURS." Unknown

OrangeCountyAggie

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » December 1st, 2021, 4:25 pm

Aggie in Boise wrote:
December 1st, 2021, 3:39 pm
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
Mr. Sneelock wrote:
Yossarian wrote:

2. Shooting
3. Length
4. Ball Handling
5. Size
6. Defense

This^
This what?

IBleedAggieBlue

Post by IBleedAggieBlue » December 1st, 2021, 4:35 pm

Justin Bean reminds me of Paul Milsap coming out of college. I believe that Paul is 6'7" and had one NBA skill, he could rebound. Same, I believe goes for one Dennis Rodman, love him or hate him. I think that Justin just needs the right team to draft him and a coach that values a particular skill set. The Jazz drafted Paul and Jerry Sloan loved that he went after every rebound. (Playing time) Justin, much like Paul, will improve his game with better coaching and increased competition. A team like the Clippers would be a good fit for Justin. They like small ball and they don't need another shooter. They need a competitive rebounder. Same goes for Miami, Golden State, Phoenix, maybe Dallas. He's really the next Draymond Green.
These users thanked the author IBleedAggieBlue for the post (total 2):
flying_scotsman2.0LoveMyAggies

OrangeCountyAggie

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » December 1st, 2021, 4:36 pm

Mr. Sneelock wrote:
December 1st, 2021, 2:02 pm
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
Mr. Sneelock wrote:
Yossarian wrote:

2. Shooting
3. Length
4. Ball Handling
5. Size
6. Defense

5. Size - Good height for an NBA 3 but will likely be a rangy 4. Versatile, athletic 6'6''-6'8" PF are the in-vogue in the NBA. That said, he'll still need to put on some more muscle mass, which I'm confident he'll do.
6. Defense - Elite one on one defender and has quick feet. He is constantly helping other teammates when they get blown by (aka Brock Miller). He is also great at boding up bigger guys and holds his ground without fouling.

I think you might have blue goggles on, my friend. NBA level athleticism jumps out at you at the college level and is obvious. Bean is pretty athletic. But he definitely isn't elite by NBA standards. He stands out a bit athletically amongst his teammates, but well, that isn't exactly surprising if you know what I mean.
Just because I bleed Aggie blue doesn't mean I'm wrong. Sometimes it's harder to recognize something for what it is when it's sitting right in front of you. I've been an avid NBA fan for 25 years - his athleticism and skills translate.

Locked Previous topicNext topic