Brock Miller!!

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Aggie84025

Re: Brock Miller!!

Post by Aggie84025 » November 22nd, 2021, 10:04 am

Goose74 wrote:
November 21st, 2021, 11:50 pm
Aggie84025 wrote:
November 21st, 2021, 6:32 pm
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
November 21st, 2021, 6:30 pm
Bank Shot wrote:
November 21st, 2021, 6:15 pm
He has his limitations physically on D, but no one, absolutely no one works harder on D.
Wish that we're true, but even in this game, he got caught naping on multiple occasions. Hit some big shots late though. Credit
No one is going to play flawlessly on defense or offense for that matter. Each player will have a few bad plays per game.
Unfortunately he doesn't have a few bad plays, he has a few good plays. A lot of napping, and missing, and lot of minus an less plus.
We're not talking about flawless, it's about consistency. He doesn't have good consistency. Heat check him and then bench him.
I disagree I think he is our best option at that position. He is playing well this year. I am happy to see him playing solid this year. We don't win the Oklahoma game without Miller on the floor.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » November 22nd, 2021, 10:07 am

OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
November 22nd, 2021, 12:54 am
MetsJetsAggies wrote:
November 21st, 2021, 11:18 pm
ineptimusprime wrote:
November 21st, 2021, 5:42 pm
16 points on 40% shooting from three.

Not a great day for the “Brock Miller can’t play” crowd.

I’ve been a whiney bassard, but I’ve always been team Brock.
Shooters keep shooting

There's a reason Miller continues to get plenty of PT, even across 3 different coaches now. Good effort on both ends, and he can get his shot off quick/over anyone...just have to live with the off nights.
Do we though? Even if his "off-nights" are 90% of games? I still have high hopes for Barrisotw, Shulga and Hamoda.
I have high hopes for those players as well, but Shulga and Hamoda are currently not a better option than Miller. I like Hamoda and see his potential and he will progress, but is not better than Miller at this point. If coach Odom plays Bairstow at the 3 position and does not require Bairstow to handle the ball regularly he will be a good asset to this team. Bairstow was shooting the ball pretty good last year, but he should not be a primary ball handler.

Bluened
Has thanked: 0

Post by Bluened » November 22nd, 2021, 4:22 pm

Goose74 wrote:
Aggie84025 wrote:
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
Bank Shot wrote:
He has his limitations physically on D, but no one, absolutely no one works harder on D.
Wish that we're true, but even in this game, he got caught naping on multiple occasions. Hit some big shots late though. Credit
No one is going to play flawlessly on defense or offense for that matter. Each player will have a few bad plays per game.
Unfortunately he doesn't have a few bad plays, he has a few good plays. A lot of napping, and missing, and lot of minus an less plus.
We're not talking about flawless, it's about consistency. He doesn't have good consistency. Heat check him and then bench him.
You should be a coach. We would have much more success than Craig Smith and Ryan Odom. Get your application in quickly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author Bluened for the post:
Real Life Aggie

coolag

Post by coolag » November 22nd, 2021, 4:48 pm

Bluened wrote:
November 22nd, 2021, 4:22 pm
Goose74 wrote:
Aggie84025 wrote:
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
Bank Shot wrote:
You should be a coach. We would have much more success than Craig Smith and Ryan Odom. Get your application in quickly.

Lame response. Why is it always the "you should be the coach" response whenever someone has an opinion?
These users thanked the author coolag for the post (total 2):
2004AGAggie formerly in Hawaii

Regulator of Class

Bluened

Post by Bluened » November 22nd, 2021, 7:37 pm

coolag wrote:
Bluened wrote:
November 22nd, 2021, 4:22 pm
Goose74 wrote:
Aggie84025 wrote:
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
Bank Shot wrote:

Lame response. Why is it always the "you should be the coach" response whenever someone has an opinion?
Yeah probably so….but seriously, Brock has played significant minutes for three coaches, he has been a starter for 3 NCAA tournament teams (including the covid year). He has hit big shots in Mwc tourney games and we would not have beat Oklahoma without him. He has some deficiencies. Maybe too much of a green light sometimes (I’ve rolled my eyes plenty of times at some of his shots), not the quickest defender. If you really watch the game he does not get beat that often and is very invested in defense. He is by a long way our best option at the position right now. I hope Shulga and Hamoda develop into great Aggies but there is a reason Odom doesn’t keep them on the floor for long periods of time right now. Brock is by far our best option right now. If we watch any player only looking for their deficiencies and mistakes you will find plenty for all our players (maybe not Bean he is playing amazing). Gotta recognize the good they do as well. Give credit where it is due. Some of the younger Aggies have potential but that doesn’t win games. They have to get better on the court. Until then we will see plenty of Brock and that’s not a bad thing.

Pacobag

Post by Pacobag » November 23rd, 2021, 10:53 am

smfdaggie wrote:
November 22nd, 2021, 12:13 am
So a couple of you actually think you know what is better for the team than the the coaches who ARE the coaches? :crazy: I am pretty sure if you knew better than the last 3 coaches, then you would be coaching somewhere. For those of you who think Shulga should be getting Millers minutes, I am glad you don't have any say in the rotation. Shulga may at some point be able to be a positive asset, but not at this point. Obviously, the coaching staff agrees.
Coaches are paid to make decisions on who gets game minutes and who doesn't. They watch these guys in practice every day and see who performs the best all-around.

As fans, we see a small sample size for those who get limited minutes and based on those glimpses, we may feel someone should get more playing time but we may not recognize errors or other deficiencies in that player's game.

Hypothetically, if Brock whoops on Shulga 9 times out of 10 in practice/scrimmages, executes the plays better, and has better on the court chemistry with the team, maybe Shulga's minutes should remain limited.

On the flipside, just because someone is paid to do something doesn't mean they are good at everything the job entails. There are a lot of aspects to coaching and everyone makes mistakes. The highly paid people in the Houston Rockets and Portland Trailblazers organizations passed on selecting Michael Jordan in the 1984 NBA draft. The USU staff has more basketball credentials than any of us (apologies if someone like Stew visits this thread), but that doesn't mean they are right and we are wrong in any differing views related to basketball.
Last edited by Pacobag on November 23rd, 2021, 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OrangeCountyAggie

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » November 23rd, 2021, 11:12 am

Oftentimes coaches sit more talented players for less capable ones who have more experience and/or better understand the playbook. It's the only explanation that makes sense to me in regards to Miller. Unless you're trying to fool other teams into thinking Miller is a real 3-point threat and they need to focus on him defensively.

It always makes me chuckle, on every single tv broadcast the color guy (no matter who it is) will make a comment to the likes of "Miller is a real 3-point threat, although he's been struggling with his shot lately." It's become a cliche, like Rollie used to play football or Ashworth got married in the offseason, etc., etc.

FeartheFro

Post by FeartheFro » November 23rd, 2021, 11:16 am

Why do teams still guard Jordan Clarkson? It certainly isn’t based on his shooting this year. Teams know they have to guard Miller and Clarkson. It opens up the offense based on what is believed they can do.

These users thanked the author FeartheFro for the post:
Aggie84025

AggieFanNate

Post by AggieFanNate » November 23rd, 2021, 12:18 pm

OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
November 23rd, 2021, 11:12 am
Oftentimes coaches sit more talented players for less capable ones who have more experience and/or better understand the playbook. It's the only explanation that makes sense to me in regards to Miller. Unless you're trying to fool other teams into thinking Miller is a real 3-point threat and they need to focus on him defensively.

It always makes me chuckle, on every single tv broadcast the color guy (no matter who it is) will make a comment to the likes of "Miller is a real 3-point threat, although he's been struggling with his shot lately." It's become a cliche, like Rollie used to play football or Ashworth got married in the offseason, etc., etc.
Miller knows Odoms playbook more than the other people in the team... yea thats why he is playing.

WAAggie

Post by WAAggie » November 23rd, 2021, 1:02 pm

We just need them to keep it up and provide lots of video of his makes so other teams really believe it.

Coloraggie

Post by Coloraggie » November 23rd, 2021, 3:11 pm

I can't believe I come onto this board after a monumental win for our team. In a game in which Brock Miller hits not one but two clutch threes at the end to give us the lead the and give us a cushion. Without those two baskets then Bean's 19 rebounds are an afterthought in yet another loss to a P5. With all that people are on here bagging on Miller. Does he have flaws, yes. But to say he isn't currently our best option is ludicrous. Hamoda may be good but is shooting about 10% on the year, Shulga played glory ball for 10 minutes at the end of a blowout otherwise he hasn't scored all year, has missed layups and defensive assignments. I want him to succeed but he hasn't yet done so. If you hate Miller that is fine but the best time to express is it not after his clutch heroics gave us a P5 win.

Even Bean misses shots and has defensive lapses sometimes. If you want to cheer for all 5* recruits who are going in the first round of the next draft go find some money to pay Calipari to bribe some players for you and even then he doesn't win all the time.
These users thanked the author Coloraggie for the post:
Aggie84025

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » November 23rd, 2021, 4:47 pm

smfdaggie wrote:
So a couple of you actually think you know what is better for the team than the the coaches who ARE the coaches? :crazy: I am pretty sure if you knew better than the last 3 coaches, then you would be coaching somewhere. For those of you who think Shulga should be getting Millers minutes, I am glad you don't have any say in the rotation. Shulga may at some point be able to be a positive asset, but not at this point. Obviously, the coaching staff agrees.
I'm not saying you are wrong about Miller or Shulga, but these type of replies are silly. This is a fan message board. It would be pretty boring and frankly pointless if we never critiqued the team because "we aren't coaches so our opinion isn't valid."

What would people even talk about on here?

Whether the Spectrum should have Coke or Pepsi? Parking? How comfortable the seats are? But then again like coaching, very few of us have experience in making those decisions for an arena or stadium so we wouldn't get to have those opinions either.

smfdaggie

Post by smfdaggie » November 23rd, 2021, 5:30 pm

It's one thing to have an opinion and another to bash Miller non-stop game after game, year after year. State your opinion and move on.
These users thanked the author smfdaggie for the post:
aggies22

Blitz79

Post by Blitz79 » November 23rd, 2021, 5:48 pm

Coloraggie wrote:
November 23rd, 2021, 3:11 pm
I can't believe I come onto this board after a monumental win for our team. In a game in which Brock Miller hits not one but two clutch threes at the end to give us the lead the and give us a cushion. Without those two baskets then Bean's 19 rebounds are an afterthought in yet another loss to a P5. With all that people are on here bagging on Miller. Does he have flaws, yes. But to say he isn't currently our best option is ludicrous. Hamoda may be good but is shooting about 10% on the year, Shulga played glory ball for 10 minutes at the end of a blowout otherwise he hasn't scored all year, has missed layups and defensive assignments. I want him to succeed but he hasn't yet done so. If you hate Miller that is fine but the best time to express is it not after his clutch heroics gave us a P5 win.

Even Bean misses shots and has defensive lapses sometimes. If you want to cheer for all 5* recruits who are going in the first round of the next draft go find some money to pay Calipari to bribe some players for you and even then he doesn't win all the time.
Coloraggie my man, why are are you bagging on Miller?

Bluened

Post by Bluened » November 23rd, 2021, 5:56 pm

Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
smfdaggie wrote:
I'm not saying you are wrong about Miller or Shulga, but these type of replies are silly. This is a fan message board. It would be pretty boring and frankly pointless if we never critiqued the team because "we aren't coaches so our opinion isn't valid."

Whether the Spectrum should have Coke or Pepsi? Parking? How comfortable the seats are? But then again like coaching, very few of us have experience in making those decisions for an arena or stadium so we wouldn't get to have those opinions either.
So what your saying is that on a fan forum it’s okay to bash or have an opinion on Brock Miller, but if someone differs or has an opinion on that said individuals opinion or points out something contrary to his or her post….that is not acceptable. Please catch me up on these fan forum rules.

These users thanked the author Bluened for the post:
Real Life Aggie

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » November 23rd, 2021, 6:22 pm

Bluened wrote:
November 23rd, 2021, 5:56 pm
smfdaggie wrote:

So what your saying is that on a fan forum it’s okay to bash or have an opinion on Brock Miller, but if someone differs or has an opinion on that said individuals opinion or points out something contrary to his or her post….that is not acceptable. Please catch me up on these fan forum rules.

Uh obviously I didnt say that. I was arguing the opposite of that. Everyone can share their views even they arent the USU basketball coach.

Bluened

Post by Bluened » November 23rd, 2021, 6:55 pm

Bluened wrote:
smfdaggie wrote:

Uh obviously I didnt say that. I was arguing the opposite of that. Everyone can share their views even they arent the USU basketball coach.
Sorry I misunderstood. I am new to the message board and love hearing others opinions and am open to hear all. I don’t however feel bringing up coaches on a reply is “silly”. It’s just another opinion that happens to oppose other opinions. If a couple successful coaches are playing the dude and we are winning it’s a valid point. (I understand the coaches aren’t perfect)We aren’t all going to agree and that’s ok. I do however appreciate your opinion on the opinions of those that have expressed their opinions on Brock. When all is said and done Go Aggies!

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » November 23rd, 2021, 8:42 pm

Bluened wrote:
November 23rd, 2021, 6:55 pm
Bluened wrote:
smfdaggie wrote:

Sorry I misunderstood. I am new to the message board and love hearing others opinions and am open to hear all. I don’t however feel bringing up coaches on a reply is “silly”. It’s just another opinion that happens to oppose other opinions. If a couple successful coaches are playing the dude and we are winning it’s a valid point. (I understand the coaches aren’t perfect)We aren’t all going to agree and that’s ok. I do however appreciate your opinion on the opinions of those that have expressed their opinions on Brock. When all is said and done Go Aggies!

When someone gives an opinion and someone responds to that with "who do you think you are acting like you know more than the coaches? Put in your to resume!" That is a lame line of attack. Anyone who watches a football or basketball game is going to have disagreements with what a coach does over the course of the game. And yeah of course we arent all going to agree. That is my point.

smfdaggie

Post by smfdaggie » November 23rd, 2021, 9:00 pm

Hawaii,

It's not just someone giving their opinion and then moving on, it's non-stop bashing of Miller that has gone on for years now. It gets really old knowing it won't end until he leaves and then the same people will find another player to (I can't express myself without swearing) about.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » November 23rd, 2021, 9:10 pm

smfdaggie wrote:
November 23rd, 2021, 9:00 pm
Hawaii,

It's not just someone giving their opinion and then moving on, it's non-stop bashing of Miller that has gone on for years now. It gets really old knowing it won't end until he leaves and then the same people will find another player to (I can't express myself without swearing) about.
Ok we both have made our points. Ill leave at it that. Go aggies.

Bluened

Post by Bluened » November 23rd, 2021, 9:40 pm

Bluened wrote:
November 23rd, 2021, 6:55 pm
Bluened wrote:
smfdaggie wrote:

When someone gives an opinion and someone responds to that with "who do you think you are acting like you know more than the coaches? Put in your to resume!" That is a lame line of attack. Anyone who watches a football or basketball game is going to have disagreements with what a coach does over the course of the game. And yeah of course we arent all going to agree. That is my point.

kenpo

Post by kenpo » November 24th, 2021, 4:09 pm

Does this argument ever go anywhere? Did you see the movie Big Trouble. Two contract killers are in Florida to make a hit. While waiting in their car for the right opportunity, the hitmen turn on sports radio to an inane argument between the host and a caller. The host challenges a listening Gator fans to call in. A Gator fan calls in with nothing to say but that he is calling. It happens over and over in the movie. It's a running joke. The hit men are in the car, they turn on the radio, and the argument starts over. Brock Miller is our version of the gator fan/host argument.

AGGIEFIGHT

Post by AGGIEFIGHT » December 6th, 2021, 4:03 pm

Aggie84025 wrote:
November 21st, 2021, 5:41 pm
He was clutch tonight. We will need his scoring presence this season.
Brock spoke at the coaches luncheon today and said he planned on returning for his final season in 22
These users thanked the author AGGIEFIGHT for the post:
aggies22

OrangeCountyAggie

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » December 6th, 2021, 4:12 pm

AGGIEFIGHT wrote:
December 6th, 2021, 4:03 pm
Aggie84025 wrote:
Brock spoke at the coaches luncheon today and said he planned on returning for his final season in 22
:headscratch:

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » December 6th, 2021, 4:16 pm

OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
December 6th, 2021, 4:12 pm
AGGIEFIGHT wrote:
Aggie84025 wrote:
Brock has been at USU for 5 years. His first year was a medical redshirt because he was injured, and then he gets his Covid year back, giving him a possible 6 years at USU.

The funniest part is that he also served a mission, so next season he will be a 26 year old playing college basketball.
These users thanked the author Roy McAvoy for the post:
aggies22

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » December 6th, 2021, 4:17 pm

AGGIEFIGHT wrote:
Aggie84025 wrote:
That should fit in with with his doctoral dissertation and post-doc coursework.

Eutaw St. Aggie

OrangeCountyAggie

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » December 7th, 2021, 12:59 pm

Roy McAvoy wrote:
December 6th, 2021, 4:16 pm
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
December 6th, 2021, 4:12 pm
AGGIEFIGHT wrote:
Aggie84025 wrote:
Brock has been at USU for 5 years. His first year was a medical redshirt because he was injured, and then he gets his Covid year back, giving him a possible 6 years at USU.

The funniest part is that he also served a mission, so next season he will be a 26 year old playing college basketball.
Looking at his eligibility, it appears this is the case. Interestingly enough, according to his bio:

"2017-18 SEASON (FR): Appeared in each of the first five games before missing the rest of the year because of a foot injury..."

then the next season he's listed as a redshirt:

"2018-19 SEASON (RS-FR): Appeared and started in all 35 games during the season, averaging 26.1 minutes per game... "

Meaning he was granted a redshirt waiver even though he played in 5 games that initial year instead of maximum 4 games.
So by that calculation, he'd only be a senior next year and might have ANOTHER year of eligibility after that (5th year granted for COVID)! Which he'd no doubt take advantage of.

After that, I could see him hanging around the program (like Ben Criddle at byu) maybe as a sports information job or a GA coach. Brock Miller will be in the Aggie limelight for years to come.

AGGIEFIGHT

Post by AGGIEFIGHT » December 7th, 2021, 2:23 pm

He also said after college he will try to play professionally and then go into business
These users thanked the author AGGIEFIGHT for the post:
aggies22

Stockypoo2212

Post by Stockypoo2212 » December 8th, 2021, 2:31 pm

OrangeCountyAggie wrote:

Woahhh... Give me an example of your first statement. I understand it in crunch moments like when the jazz brought in Joe Johnson in the playoffs for the game winner against the clippers. But in the bulk of the game the more talented players will play. BTW who is more talented than Miller at his position?

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » December 8th, 2021, 4:01 pm

Stockypoo2212 wrote:
December 8th, 2021, 2:31 pm
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:

Woahhh... Give me an example of your first statement. I understand it in crunch moments like when the jazz brought in Joe Johnson in the playoffs for the game winner against the clippers. But in the bulk of the game the more talented players will play. BTW who is more talented than Miller at his position?
Craig Smith let Ainge start half of a season and then never let him play again.
These users thanked the author ProvoAggie for the post (total 2):
aggies22FloridaAggie13

SectionBAggie

Post by SectionBAggie » December 8th, 2021, 5:13 pm

The whole debate regarding Brock Miller should be able to be resolved with one simple question. But those who have invested their time and egos in disparaging him won't use this measurement because it will go against all their commitments to rag on him.

Plain and simply, do opponents guard him?

A few years back USU had a very capable PG who was a poor shooter. Opponents designed defenses that ignored him because they knew that he wasn't a shooting threat. By and large, defenses are designed based on what players CAN do not what they ARE doing. If Miller is being guarded at the 3-point line - even softly - he is providing value to our offensive sets. If the opposition is ignoring him (and he misses) then he isn't. But him being open is not direct evidence of being ignored. It is obvious when the other team is ignoring a player. We have seen it and it is not the case now.
These users thanked the author SectionBAggie for the post:
LarryTheAggie

Stockypoo2212

Post by Stockypoo2212 » December 8th, 2021, 5:53 pm

ProvoAggie wrote:
December 8th, 2021, 4:01 pm
Stockypoo2212 wrote:
December 8th, 2021, 2:31 pm
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:

Craig Smith let Ainge start half of a season and then never let him play again.
But ainge didn't have more experience or know the playbook better than Abel Porter. Porter had played more college ball and it was Craig's first year. So they both knew the playbook about the same amount. I will never know why ainge played over Porter but it wasn't because of the reason stated above

sockpuppet

Post by sockpuppet » December 8th, 2021, 6:23 pm

Miller's defense will be critical tonight and if he knocks down 2 or 3 timely three pointers, we can win. Not that he'll be the reason we lose, BYU is the better team and Provo is a difficult place to win, but Miller can certainly be an x factor to us winning.

OrangeCountyAggie

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » December 9th, 2021, 6:26 pm

sockpuppet wrote:
December 8th, 2021, 6:23 pm
Miller's defense will be critical tonight and if he knocks down 2 or 3 timely three pointers, we can win. Not that he'll be the reason we lose, BYU is the better team and Provo is a difficult place to win, but Miller can certainly be an x factor to us winning.
Besides the opening bucket, he was a complete non-factor. Lost track of his man on multiple occasions and got benched for Barristow in the second half. Not great for a "captain."

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » December 9th, 2021, 8:41 pm

I think it’s highly unlikely Bean or Miller will be back next year. I am planning on them being gone.

If they are here, then fantastic.

Locked Previous topicNext topic