Really embarrassing first impression for Odom

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
ineptimusprime

Re: Really embarrassing first impression for Odom

Post by ineptimusprime » November 10th, 2021, 11:17 am

Aggie84025 wrote:
November 10th, 2021, 11:08 am
ineptimusprime wrote:
November 10th, 2021, 11:00 am
Real Life Aggie wrote:
November 10th, 2021, 10:57 am
ineptimusprime wrote:
November 10th, 2021, 12:40 am
smfdaggie wrote:
November 10th, 2021, 12:37 am
After reading most of the posts on the game tonight, I really hope ineptimusprime isn't this negative about everything in his/her life. To get so worked up over 1 game is ridiculous. Give Odom and this team a chance before giving up.
I am an insurance defense attorney. I am literally this bitter and negative about everything. :lol: Tonight’s outcome just isn’t something that will ever be acceptable for a basketball program of our caliber.

I refuse to take pot shots at individual players, but yeah, I can’t mask my disappoint well. I love college basketball and waited an entire offseason for THAT performance. I’m gonna need a minute.
But KU beat Michigan State, so at least you have a lot to look forward to over there.
Yes, until the NCAA hands KU its 5-year death penalty. The investigation hanging over KU puts a damper on things. If OSU got a one-year postseason ban over $350 and no level 1 violations, I shudder to think what KU will be hit with.
KU is one of the blue bloods they will wipe it under the rug or put a slap on their wrist. How dare the NCAA punish one of their huge money makers. I think it is stupid and if they are truly guilty they should be punished the same as any other team.
I wish it would be a slap on the wrist, but it won’t be.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » November 10th, 2021, 11:44 am

aggies22 wrote:
November 10th, 2021, 10:58 am
We shot 36.1% from the field, 26.7% from 3 and 60.7% from the free throw line. Then toss in 16 turnovers. Do you all expect us to play like $hit EVERY night?
Those are good points. I am in wait and see mode on shooting. Last year we really struggled to shoot. I have high hopes for Jones and RJ to shoot decently. Miller is going to depend on his back. I think Bairstow when he gets back can be solid shooter as well. The season is long, but we will not be as good defensively as we were last year. To me it all depends on better offensive efficiency which I am confident the team will improve on that.

OrangeCountyAggie

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » November 10th, 2021, 11:54 am

NVAggie wrote:
November 10th, 2021, 8:38 am
I agree, Sam and Neemi really masked a lot of deficiencies in our teams during the Smith era. Sam took over the games when we needed someone to score. Neemi drew double teams and gave Bean easy rebounds and put backs. He also controlled the paint. We don't have those guys anymore. I will put it into neutral, sit back, and watch this team figure out what they want to be. We will also see just how much of a genius Odom is.
Speaking of Sam and Neemi, where's Odem's NBA guy? Stew landed Sam (and Jaycee who was an NBA-worthy talent) and Smith got us Queta. In order to compete for MWC championships, we need one of those guys (or close to it). Who's the alpha dog on this team? Which player are other teams game-planning against?

There seemed to be a lot of hype around Thelissen but he didn't even play last night! At first glance, it appears as though Odem decided to cost this year with Smith's leftovers and some easy pickings from UMBC. Massive fail in recruiting!!

OrangeCountyAggie

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » November 10th, 2021, 12:08 pm

ThunderAggie wrote:
November 9th, 2021, 10:14 pm
SLB wrote:
November 9th, 2021, 10:08 pm
Miller getting hurt definitely really has been an issue since last season. He is our best shooter.
Really? I mean there are times he looks like a good shooter, but there’s a reason some people call him Brick Miller. He is a chucker and can’t seem to be consistent. But, I really hope he can find his rhythm this year.
The fact he's a starter on this team - especially if limited physically, gives me doubts about Odem's talent-evaluation abilities. Unless there's simply not any better alternatives for that position (especially with Barristow hurt) - which might sadly be the case.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » November 10th, 2021, 12:13 pm

Blechhhhh. Some great pub from the college basketball Twitterverse.

OrangeCountyAggie

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » November 10th, 2021, 12:18 pm

coolag wrote:
November 10th, 2021, 9:20 am
SSaggie wrote:
November 10th, 2021, 8:32 am
Man the shade for Miller's 3pt percentage is such a fallacy. He is a multi-year starter on a MW championship team for a reason(s).

Just because he doesn't make as many threes as some of you think he should doesn't make him a subpar player. Statistically, threes don't need a fantastic percentage to be more valuable than a two point shot. But then again, three point percentage is only one aspect of several ways a player can impact a game.

I love the discussion. All the differing opinions make the board fun and opens my eyes to new ideas.

It seems like many people are throwing shade at Miller, but maybe it is only a couple of outspoken people who say it a bit more often (this is not passive aggressive, i enjoy your opinions and please keep sharing your thoughts).

With all this being said, it sure is nice when people are automatic from three, which was my main frustration with our guards that transferred. How do their 3pt percentages line up against millers?

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
Brock Miller is 5-18 from the field in two games against Montana Western and UC Davis. Do you honestly think those numbers are going to get better as we start playing teams we are actually suppose to lose to? I have said it before and I will say it again. In my 35 years of attending Utah State basketball, I have never seen a player have the green light to chuck and mostly miss as much as Brock Miller. That pull up 3 last night with all his teammates in the backcourt was absolutely ridiculous and selfish. And even more frustrating is I have never seen him ever get his a$$ chewed for anything. Stew literally would have strangled someone with his bare hands watching him.
I'm with you, it defied logic during the Smith era especially when a better player like Anderson had the shortest leash of any player I've seen. For it to continue under Odem is even more maddening!

Bluened
Has thanked: 0

Post by Bluened » November 10th, 2021, 12:51 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:
Bluened wrote:
November 10th, 2021, 9:54 am
ineptimusprime wrote:
slcagg wrote:
November 10th, 2021, 9:19 am
UStateTim wrote:
November 9th, 2021, 10:05 pm
Virginia lost to Navy. Ohio St beat Akron on a buzzer beater. I’m not defending how the team played tonight because there are holes, but let’s all just chill out and see how the team comes together
BYU struggled vs Cleveland state. While the loss hurts it certainly shouldn’t define the season.
You mean the defending Horizon League champs that are the overwhelming favorite to repeat? That Cleveland St?

BYU got a 10 point win at home against an NCAA tourney team. We suffered a horrific home loss to a middling Big West school. Not even in the same ballpark.

This loss doesn’t have to define this team, you are right about that. But we didn’t look like a more talented team that just couldn’t put it together. We honestly looked to be on par with UC-Davis. Like if we played 10 times I think we’d split.
New year, we don’t know at this point if Cleveland state is a tourney team or where Davis will end up in the big west. We will see how it plays out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I honestly haven’t looked, but considering they are the overwhelming favorite to repeat as champs, I assume Cleveland St. returned quite a bit.
I haven’t researched either, you may very well be correct. It will be interesting to see how things play out. Not all preseason predictions play out. As for our Aggies we will start shooting better but I’m concerned about our defense and rebounding. One game doesn’t make a season, although it is very disappointing to lose to Davis. I hope and think we will get better. We are just not as talented as other teams in the mountain west and we don’t have Neemi or Sam to lean on. That means we need to do the little things really well and have great team chemistry. Not much margin for error.

These users thanked the author Bluened for the post:
Aggie84025

AggieFanNate

Post by AggieFanNate » November 10th, 2021, 1:01 pm

Aggie84025 wrote:
November 10th, 2021, 11:44 am
aggies22 wrote:
We shot 36.1% from the field, 26.7% from 3 and 60.7% from the free throw line. Then toss in 16 turnovers. Do you all expect us to play like $hit EVERY night?
Those are good points. I am in wait and see mode on shooting. Last year we really struggled to shoot. I have high hopes for Jones and RJ to shoot decently. Miller is going to depend on his back. I think Bairstow when he gets back can be solid shooter as well. The season is long, but we will not be as good defensively as we were last year. To me it all depends on better offensive efficiency which I am confident the team will improve on that.
Horvath is a good 3 point shooter too. Bean honestly I know he wants to develop it for NBA potential but I just don't see it.

ColoAggie

Post by ColoAggie » November 10th, 2021, 1:40 pm

I just want to know one thing--is this Miller's final year, or will he be granted an 11th year of eligibility?
These users thanked the author ColoAggie for the post:
AggieBlues

SLB

Post by SLB » November 10th, 2021, 1:43 pm

aggies22 wrote:
I made that point some time ago, but most are too caught up in the moment. Let's see what happens in the next game
These users thanked the author SLB for the post:
aggies22

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » November 10th, 2021, 1:55 pm

ColoAggie wrote:
November 10th, 2021, 1:40 pm
I just want to know one thing--is this Miller's final year, or will he be granted an 11th year of eligibility?
Miller has one year of eligibility remaining beyond this season.

GoldcoastAggie

Post by GoldcoastAggie » November 10th, 2021, 1:57 pm

We are a pretty small team when Jones and Ashworth are on the floor. We really need to shoot at least 35% from 3 this year to be decent. Without Queta there will be far fewer open looks this year. He was constantly double-teamed last year which always left someone open.

After watching last night it seems like Jones could be the guy to go to from 3 but i don't have much confidence in anyone else. We really need 3 guys that can shoot it from the outside so we need others to step it up.

SLB

Post by SLB » November 10th, 2021, 1:59 pm

aggies22 wrote:
November 10th, 2021, 1:55 pm
ColoAggie wrote:
I would guess that this is his final year since this is his 5th year. We should respect Miller playing with heart through the pain for the Aggies.
Last edited by SLB on November 10th, 2021, 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SLB

Post by SLB » November 10th, 2021, 1:59 pm

GoldcoastAggie wrote:
November 10th, 2021, 1:57 pm
We are a pretty small team when Jones and Ashworth are on the floor. We really need to shoot at least 35% from 3 this year to be decent. Without Queta there will be far fewer open looks this year. He was constantly double-teamed last year which always left someone open.

After watching last night it seems like Jones could be the guy to go to from 3 but i don't have much confidence in anyone else. We really need 3 guys that can shoot it from the outside so we need others to step it up.
So we are not the tallest team

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » November 10th, 2021, 4:33 pm

SLB wrote:
November 10th, 2021, 1:59 pm
aggies22 wrote:
ColoAggie wrote:
I would guess that this is his final year since this is his 5th year. We should respect Miller playing with heart through the pain for the Aggies.
I get what you are implying about him moving on after this season. However, he does have the option of returning for his covid frozen season of eligibility.

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » November 10th, 2021, 5:17 pm

Regardless of any of the excuses, losing in the spectrum to UC Davis has Stew Morrill rolling over in his grave.
These users thanked the author Roy McAvoy for the post:
aggies22

Blitz79

Post by Blitz79 » November 10th, 2021, 5:19 pm

This team not being good was highly predictable. I will still cheer them on but it will be a rough year.

Miller is one dimensional and not good at that one dimension. Even before his back issue. I hate to be negative about the guy but it's the truth.

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » November 10th, 2021, 5:52 pm

aggies22 wrote:
SLB wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
ColoAggie wrote:
I get what you are implying about him moving on after this season. However, he does have the option of returning for his covid frozen season of eligibility.
That’s crazy. A 10 year college career has got to be a record.

SLB

Post by SLB » November 10th, 2021, 5:54 pm

aggies22 wrote:
November 10th, 2021, 4:33 pm
SLB wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
ColoAggie wrote:
I have to imagine that his schooling is done after this season and life goes forward with his fatherhood. It is kinda funny that Miller and Merrill are going to be dads about the same time. Both gave us their all and part of those past NCAA tournament teams. I think watching that UCD game that Miller may have been potentially a 20 point per game player for his last season if his back was healthy.

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » November 10th, 2021, 5:58 pm

Roy McAvoy wrote:
November 10th, 2021, 5:17 pm
Regardless of any of the excuses, losing in the spectrum to UC Davis has Stew Morrill rolling over in his grave.
We may have lost to worse in the Spectrum on Stew's watch. Texas-Arlington anyone?
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post:
SLB

Aggie in Boise

Post by Aggie in Boise » November 10th, 2021, 6:32 pm

aggies22 wrote:
November 10th, 2021, 5:58 pm
Roy McAvoy wrote:
We may have lost to worse in the Spectrum on Stew's watch. Texas-Arlington anyone?
I wonder if any of Stew's teams ever won a scrimmage against a team like SMU?

"We've upped our standards, so UP YOURS." Unknown

Aggie in Boise

Post by Aggie in Boise » November 10th, 2021, 6:34 pm

Roy McAvoy wrote:

Did Stew die?

"We've upped our standards, so UP YOURS." Unknown

Real Life Aggie

Post by Real Life Aggie » November 10th, 2021, 6:37 pm

Aggie in Boise wrote:
November 10th, 2021, 6:34 pm
Roy McAvoy wrote:

Did Stew die?
He might have if he watched the game yesterday. Vein probably burst out of his neck as he yelled at the TV.

His obit would probably read, "He died the way he lived... Yelling vigorously at basketball players".
These users thanked the author Real Life Aggie for the post (total 2):
ToedrAgsam tingey

Goose74

Post by Goose74 » November 10th, 2021, 6:38 pm

OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
November 10th, 2021, 12:18 pm
coolag wrote:
November 10th, 2021, 9:20 am
SSaggie wrote:
November 10th, 2021, 8:32 am
Man the shade for Miller's 3pt percentage is such a fallacy. He is a multi-year starter on a MW championship team for a reason(s).

Just because he doesn't make as many threes as some of you think he should doesn't make him a subpar player. Statistically, threes don't need a fantastic percentage to be more valuable than a two point shot. But then again, three point percentage is only one aspect of several ways a player can impact a game.

I love the discussion. All the differing opinions make the board fun and opens my eyes to new ideas.

It seems like many people are throwing shade at Miller, but maybe it is only a couple of outspoken people who say it a bit more often (this is not passive aggressive, i enjoy your opinions and please keep sharing your thoughts).

With all this being said, it sure is nice when people are automatic from three, which was my main frustration with our guards that transferred. How do their 3pt percentages line up against millers?

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
Brock Miller is 5-18 from the field in two games against Montana Western and UC Davis. Do you honestly think those numbers are going to get better as we start playing teams we are actually suppose to lose to? I have said it before and I will say it again. In my 35 years of attending Utah State basketball, I have never seen a player have the green light to chuck and mostly miss as much as Brock Miller. That pull up 3 last night with all his teammates in the backcourt was absolutely ridiculous and selfish. And even more frustrating is I have never seen him ever get his a$$ chewed for anything. Stew literally would have strangled someone with his bare hands watching him.
I'm with you, it defied logic during the Smith era especially when a better player like Anderson had the shortest leash of any player I've seen. For it to continue under Odem is even more maddening!
This is so true. The argument that Miller is obviously good because they keep starting him is a trash argument. His +/- on the court is atrocious. And I will never understand why he gets the green light all the time.
Just watch him for one game. He is constantly beat on defense causing other players to have help and then everyone is out of position. He can't hit the 3 off the screen (which I'm pretty sure is what makes a 3 point specialist a 3 point specialist). He rarely helps on d, hardly ever rebounds and can't bring the ball down (which every guard should be able to do).
Other than the heat check in the 1st half last night, he has been embarrassingly absent, as usual.
For the record, I loved Anderson. I will never understand why he didn't get more opportunity.

nvspuds

Post by nvspuds » November 10th, 2021, 7:02 pm

Real Life Aggie wrote:
November 10th, 2021, 6:37 pm
Aggie in Boise wrote:
November 10th, 2021, 6:34 pm
Roy McAvoy wrote:

Did Stew die?
He might have if he watched the game yesterday. Vein probably burst out of his neck as he yelled at the TV.

His obit would probably read, "He died the way he lived... Yelling vigorously at basketball players".
And Refs...
These users thanked the author nvspuds for the post (total 2):
Real Life AggieStucki

Bluened

Post by Bluened » November 10th, 2021, 7:11 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:

Blechhhhh. Some great pub from the college basketball Twitterverse.
One loss to uc Davis doesn’t break a head coach either. We will see how things play out. We will be ok.

MrBiggle

Post by MrBiggle » November 10th, 2021, 7:23 pm

SLB wrote:
November 9th, 2021, 11:02 pm
ineptimusprime wrote:
November 9th, 2021, 10:59 pm
Brock is fine when he’s not going all “LeRoy Jenkins” chucking up threes just cause.
He was playing too injured at that point.
The thing about back pain like his… chronic. He isn’t going to play without it hurting. It sucks but that is his reality. He and the coach need to realize this and adjust appropriately.

Where only sage brush grows

slcagg

Post by slcagg » November 10th, 2021, 7:38 pm

Wichita needed a miracle shotnlast night to beat Jacksonville state.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » November 10th, 2021, 7:52 pm

I’m officially over it finally. Expectations are dead and buried in the back yard.

I’m going to enjoy our overachieving Pigskin team, the Utah Jazz, and just hope to see growth for our basketball team and coaching staff over the season and really nothing else. I think Roy is dead right that Odom is going to need an adjustment year to acclimate to what it takes to win at this level and to make some tough roster decisions once he gets that figured out.

Go Aggies!

Goose74

Post by Goose74 » November 10th, 2021, 8:28 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:
November 10th, 2021, 7:52 pm
I’m officially over it finally. Expectations are dead and buried in the back yard.

I’m going to enjoy our overachieving Pigskin team, the Utah Jazz, and just hope to see growth for our basketball team and coaching staff over the season and really nothing else. I think Roy is dead right that Odom is going to need an adjustment year to acclimate to what it takes to win at this level and to make some tough roster decisions once he gets that figured out.

Go Aggies!
Drama.... queen 👑
Please keep to your word and stop posting about basketball for the year. We could all use the break.
Yay football!!

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » November 10th, 2021, 8:42 pm

Goose74 wrote:
November 10th, 2021, 8:28 pm
ineptimusprime wrote:

Go Aggies!
Drama.... queen 👑
Please keep to your word and stop posting about basketball for the year. We could all use the break.
Yay football!!
Hate to disappoint, but that’s not at ALL what I said. You’d all miss me wAaaaaaayyyy too much if I left, I just know it.
These users thanked the author ineptimusprime for the post (total 2):
aggies22sam tingey

Goose74

Post by Goose74 » November 10th, 2021, 8:45 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:

Go Aggies!
Drama.... queen 👑
Yay football!!

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » November 10th, 2021, 8:47 pm

Goose74 wrote:
November 10th, 2021, 8:45 pm
ineptimusprime wrote:

Go Aggies!
Drama.... queen 👑
Yay football!!
Saying it twice isn’t going to make me leave, punkin.

I’ve been here 11 years—through Stew’s farewell tour and the freaking Duryea years—one piddly loss to UC-Davis isn’t gonna make me quit you all.

Goose74

Post by Goose74 » November 10th, 2021, 9:41 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:
November 10th, 2021, 8:47 pm
Goose74 wrote:
ineptimusprime wrote:

Go Aggies!
Drama.... queen 👑
Yay football!!

I’ve been here 11 years—through Stew’s farewell tour and the freaking Duryea years—one piddly loss to UC-Davis isn’t gonna make me quit you all.
Ok, champ.

Goose74

Post by Goose74 » November 10th, 2021, 9:41 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:
November 10th, 2021, 8:47 pm
Goose74 wrote:
ineptimusprime wrote:

Go Aggies!
Drama.... queen 👑
Yay football!!

Ok, champ.

Locked Previous topicNext topic