Depth chart

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
slcagg
Posts: 9026
Joined: December 15th, 2010, 6:29 pm
Has thanked: 2382 times
Been thanked: 1756 times

Re: Depth chart

Post by slcagg » October 22nd, 2021, 8:24 pm

SLB wrote:
October 22nd, 2021, 6:56 pm
hvaggie wrote:
October 22nd, 2021, 10:01 am
During the televised games last year, the announcers kept saying that Dorius would be a starter on most Mtn West teams. He's only gotten better
Dorius rebounding and shot blocking was south of Queta but north of anyone else of in the MWC in my opinion. I did the stats on this that proves this very point.
Respectfully disagree. I got an easy one. SDSU center is by far better than dorius in those areas.



User avatar
ineptimusprime
Posts: 4951
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 12:07 pm
Has thanked: 219 times
Been thanked: 2060 times

Re: Depth chart

Post by ineptimusprime » October 22nd, 2021, 11:25 pm

slcagg wrote:
October 22nd, 2021, 9:37 am
Coloraggie wrote:
October 22nd, 2021, 9:30 am
ineptimusprime wrote:
October 22nd, 2021, 7:30 am
To say we are a “little thin” at the 5 is a bit of an understatement. In terms of true 5s we have a former walk-on and a guy that was really underwhelming in limited minutes last year. Gotta be Zapala’s last season here if he’s not in the rotation.

Horvath is just too small to be considered a 5.
Horvath is 6'10". Many years that would be tallest guy on the team. It has only been the last couple of years with the tallest team in the country that 6'10" would be too short. We are getting spoiled. 6'10" is plenty tall to go against everyone in the MW asong as he has some weight and can play tough and physical on defense.
We will be just fine at the 5 as you indicated. Heck horvarth was a first teamer in his prior league. No reason not to believe that he will be able to compete. Offensively he will cause problems against the SDSU center.
I’m super stoked about Horvath, but he isn’t a “true” 5.



slcagg
Posts: 9026
Joined: December 15th, 2010, 6:29 pm
Has thanked: 2382 times
Been thanked: 1756 times

Re: Depth chart

Post by slcagg » October 23rd, 2021, 8:57 am

ineptimusprime wrote:
October 22nd, 2021, 11:25 pm
slcagg wrote:
October 22nd, 2021, 9:37 am
Coloraggie wrote:
October 22nd, 2021, 9:30 am
ineptimusprime wrote:
October 22nd, 2021, 7:30 am
To say we are a “little thin” at the 5 is a bit of an understatement. In terms of true 5s we have a former walk-on and a guy that was really underwhelming in limited minutes last year. Gotta be Zapala’s last season here if he’s not in the rotation.

Horvath is just too small to be considered a 5.
Horvath is 6'10". Many years that would be tallest guy on the team. It has only been the last couple of years with the tallest team in the country that 6'10" would be too short. We are getting spoiled. 6'10" is plenty tall to go against everyone in the MW asong as he has some weight and can play tough and physical on defense.
We will be just fine at the 5 as you indicated. Heck horvarth was a first teamer in his prior league. No reason not to believe that he will be able to compete. Offensively he will cause problems against the SDSU center.
I’m super stoked about Horvath, but he isn’t a “true” 5.
Yeah my argument is that you don’t need a true 5 vs most opponents. Remember 2 years ago when sdsu was something like 30-2…who was their center? A player probably similar to horvarth.



Bank Shot
Posts: 938
Joined: January 26th, 2019, 6:27 pm
Has thanked: 215 times
Been thanked: 397 times

Re: Depth chart

Post by Bank Shot » October 23rd, 2021, 9:13 am

I agree you don't need a true 5. but if you are referring to SDSU's Wetzell I would differ. 6'10"/240 with no outside game would be a true 5.
These users thanked the author Bank Shot for the post (total 2):
Real Life Aggiehipsterdoofus21



User avatar
Real Life Aggie
Posts: 3210
Joined: April 10th, 2019, 4:28 pm
Location: North Ogden, UT
Has thanked: 3194 times
Been thanked: 1118 times

Re: Depth chart

Post by Real Life Aggie » October 23rd, 2021, 9:39 am

Bank Shot wrote:
October 23rd, 2021, 9:13 am
I agree you don't need a true 5. but if you are referring to SDSU's Wetzell I would differ. 6'10"/240 with no outside game would be a true 5.
I really liked Wetzell. And starting the season off, wasn't he backup to Mensah? SDSU always seems to have frustrating depth, lol. They can lose half their team one year, and then bring in crazy good transfers and be even better the next year.
These users thanked the author Real Life Aggie for the post:
MrBiggle



slcagg
Posts: 9026
Joined: December 15th, 2010, 6:29 pm
Has thanked: 2382 times
Been thanked: 1756 times

Re: Depth chart

Post by slcagg » October 23rd, 2021, 9:53 am

Real Life Aggie wrote:
October 23rd, 2021, 9:39 am
Bank Shot wrote:
October 23rd, 2021, 9:13 am
I agree you don't need a true 5. but if you are referring to SDSU's Wetzell I would differ. 6'10"/240 with no outside game would be a true 5.
I really liked Wetzell. And starting the season off, wasn't he backup to Mensah? SDSU always seems to have frustrating depth, lol. They can lose half their team one year, and then bring in crazy good transfers and be even better the next year.
Yes this is what I recall. And who I was referencing as well. I could have sworn he had a decent jumper. He was a solid 5 for them, but my recollection was he was not a true 5. More of a 4. But I could be off. It’s been a few years.



nvspuds
Posts: 1269
Joined: November 17th, 2010, 6:32 pm
Has thanked: 13 times
Been thanked: 673 times

Re: Depth chart

Post by nvspuds » October 23rd, 2021, 10:01 am

You guys are so into labels, man..It is a good thing to have big guys who can rebound and block or alter shots..If they can step out and hit jumpers that is a nice bonus...You can call those guys any number you want..
These users thanked the author nvspuds for the post (total 5):
slcaggtrevordudeaggies22PacobagReal Life Aggie



Pacobag
Posts: 691
Joined: November 13th, 2010, 7:34 pm
Has thanked: 195 times
Been thanked: 101 times

Re: Depth chart

Post by Pacobag » October 23rd, 2021, 12:25 pm

nvspuds wrote:
October 23rd, 2021, 10:01 am
You guys are so into labels, man..It is a good thing to have big guys who can rebound and block or alter shots..If they can step out and hit jumpers that is a nice bonus...You can call those guys any number you want..
Exactly! We have some "traditional" 5's in Dorius and Zapala, but that fact alone doesn't mean they need to start or get tons of minutes for us to be successful. It's about matchups, exposing the other team's weaknesses, and most of the minutes going to those who give us the greatest chance to win. I'm looking forward to seeing how things pan out.



nvspuds
Posts: 1269
Joined: November 17th, 2010, 6:32 pm
Has thanked: 13 times
Been thanked: 673 times

Re: Depth chart

Post by nvspuds » October 23rd, 2021, 12:46 pm

I agree that specific matchups dictates a lot of this..I think there are some really tough to guard matchups in the conference but, to me anyway, I would say Orlando Robinson is the toughest. He presents more problems than even Roddy..

He is 7 feet tall, athletic and hard to push around..Your coach would have to decide who gives you the best shot to defend him and also make him work on defense when you have the ball..

Maybe that guy is Dorius but maybe Horvath works better..

Or maybe a zone...



User avatar
Real Life Aggie
Posts: 3210
Joined: April 10th, 2019, 4:28 pm
Location: North Ogden, UT
Has thanked: 3194 times
Been thanked: 1118 times

Re: Depth chart

Post by Real Life Aggie » October 23rd, 2021, 3:02 pm

nvspuds wrote:
October 23rd, 2021, 12:46 pm
I agree that specific matchups dictates a lot of this..I think there are some really tough to guard matchups in the conference but, to me anyway, I would say Orlando Robinson is the toughest. He presents more problems than even Roddy..

He is 7 feet tall, athletic and hard to push around..Your coach would have to decide who gives you the best shot to defend him and also make him work on defense when you have the ball..

Maybe that guy is Dorius but maybe Horvath works better..

Or maybe a zone...
That's fair. I guess I was kind of ignoring Robinson because Queta really matched up well so he wasn't as impactful as he should have been. This year might be really tough against him, depending on how we play it.



nvspuds
Posts: 1269
Joined: November 17th, 2010, 6:32 pm
Has thanked: 13 times
Been thanked: 673 times

Re: Depth chart

Post by nvspuds » October 23rd, 2021, 3:31 pm

I make no suggestions about who you should play where and when..I was just pointing out that matchups sometimes come down to, pardon the pun, mixing and matching..

Position less basketball is actually position more basketball...A team with a number of guys who can guard multiple spots?

I think that is sort of the essence of modern college ball..



Bank Shot
Posts: 938
Joined: January 26th, 2019, 6:27 pm
Has thanked: 215 times
Been thanked: 397 times

Re: Depth chart

Post by Bank Shot » October 23rd, 2021, 4:22 pm

Another potential match-up challenge will be Ike from Wyoming. That kid really impressed me last year after coming off an injury.



slcagg
Posts: 9026
Joined: December 15th, 2010, 6:29 pm
Has thanked: 2382 times
Been thanked: 1756 times

Re: Depth chart

Post by slcagg » October 23rd, 2021, 4:39 pm

Bank Shot wrote:
October 23rd, 2021, 4:22 pm
Another potential match-up challenge will be Ike from Wyoming. That kid really impressed me last year after coming off an injury.
Does Boise have their center coming back? He was a big strong kid.

Wyoming Is underrated imo. A lot of nice pieces.



NewUSUfan
Posts: 110
Joined: November 27th, 2019, 8:42 am
Has thanked: 43 times
Been thanked: 158 times

Re: Depth chart

Post by NewUSUfan » October 23rd, 2021, 6:15 pm

Fyi Heard Wyoming lost by 30 or 40 to Utah today. Not sure on any details.
These users thanked the author NewUSUfan for the post:
Real Life Aggie



slcagg
Posts: 9026
Joined: December 15th, 2010, 6:29 pm
Has thanked: 2382 times
Been thanked: 1756 times

Re: Depth chart

Post by slcagg » October 23rd, 2021, 6:25 pm

NewUSUfan wrote:
October 23rd, 2021, 6:15 pm
Fyi Heard Wyoming lost by 30 or 40 to Utah today. Not sure on any details.
Well maybe I’m wrong then.



User avatar
flying_scotsman2.0
Posts: 1698
Joined: January 23rd, 2018, 12:29 pm
Location: The Mighty City-State of Roy, Utah
Has thanked: 1746 times
Been thanked: 730 times

Re: Depth chart

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » October 23rd, 2021, 8:42 pm

NewUSUfan wrote:
October 23rd, 2021, 6:15 pm
Fyi Heard Wyoming lost by 30 or 40 to Utah today. Not sure on any details.
Utah can rot in hell, how about that?
These users thanked the author flying_scotsman2.0 for the post (total 2):
USU78aggies22



User avatar
Roy McAvoy
Posts: 6274
Joined: November 2nd, 2011, 1:30 pm
Has thanked: 693 times
Been thanked: 1501 times

Re: Depth chart

Post by Roy McAvoy » October 24th, 2021, 5:35 pm

slcagg wrote:
October 23rd, 2021, 6:25 pm
NewUSUfan wrote:
October 23rd, 2021, 6:15 pm
Fyi Heard Wyoming lost by 30 or 40 to Utah today. Not sure on any details.
Well maybe I’m wrong then.



slcagg
Posts: 9026
Joined: December 15th, 2010, 6:29 pm
Has thanked: 2382 times
Been thanked: 1756 times

Re: Depth chart

Post by slcagg » October 24th, 2021, 5:46 pm

Roy McAvoy wrote:
October 24th, 2021, 5:35 pm
slcagg wrote:
October 23rd, 2021, 6:25 pm
NewUSUfan wrote:
October 23rd, 2021, 6:15 pm
Fyi Heard Wyoming lost by 30 or 40 to Utah today. Not sure on any details.
Well maybe I’m wrong then.
Right, I was saying maybe I’m overestimating Wyoming, as I don’t see that Utah lineup as a powerhouse group.



User avatar
TheAKAggie
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY
Posts: 6235
Joined: February 3rd, 2012, 10:21 pm
Location: Hyde Park, UT
Has thanked: 228 times
Been thanked: 519 times
Contact:

Re: Depth chart

Post by TheAKAggie » October 24th, 2021, 9:30 pm

Aggie84025 wrote:
AggiesForever wrote:
October 21st, 2021, 5:09 pm
I've heard that Bairstow may have an injury that could keep him out initially. That's where Hamoda comes in, as they play a similar position with Miller. But Hamoda has been very impressive since arriving in Logan, so he was going to push for playing time anyway.

This is an extremely competitive line-up. People who thought the Aggies were going to experience a down year, better think again. The Aggies may have a 10-man rotation when it comes down to it, ultimately. A lot of talent on this team.

I would think that Potter will redshirt this year, along with Landon Brenchley and Tyler Wagstaff. There just isn't anywhere for them to play.
Don't get me excited, do you think Odom will go 10 deep consistently?
I was his neighbor and I know Cardell Butler did.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Hail Aggies!

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.
Posts: 18857
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:09 am
Location: Where the sagebrush grows!
Has thanked: 1046 times
Been thanked: 1218 times

Re: Depth chart

Post by NVAggie » October 25th, 2021, 7:50 am

I found it funny seeing Worster now compared to last year. The urban environment has really changed him.



User avatar
hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface
Posts: 16561
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 9:39 pm
Has thanked: 1109 times
Been thanked: 1624 times

Re: Depth chart

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » October 25th, 2021, 9:45 am

NVAggie wrote:
October 25th, 2021, 7:50 am
I found it funny seeing Worster now compared to last year. The urban environment has really changed him.
For example?

Btw, that starting 5 isn’t likely to do much in the PAC-12.



slcagg
Posts: 9026
Joined: December 15th, 2010, 6:29 pm
Has thanked: 2382 times
Been thanked: 1756 times

Re: Depth chart

Post by slcagg » October 25th, 2021, 10:01 am

NVAggie wrote:
October 25th, 2021, 7:50 am
I found it funny seeing Worster now compared to last year. The urban environment has really changed him.
Do you mean the headband 😂😂😂




User avatar
Real Life Aggie
Posts: 3210
Joined: April 10th, 2019, 4:28 pm
Location: North Ogden, UT
Has thanked: 3194 times
Been thanked: 1118 times

Re: Depth chart

Post by Real Life Aggie » October 25th, 2021, 10:17 am

Eh, I think the headband looks good. Plus, it keeps sweat out of the eyes.

I'm not a Ute fan, but I can't bring myself to wish anything but the best for Rollie. Wish he were still an Aggie.



aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly
Posts: 12520
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:17 pm
Location: Smithfield, Utah
Has thanked: 8899 times
Been thanked: 6133 times
Contact:

Re: Depth chart

Post by aggies22 » October 25th, 2021, 10:28 am

flying_scotsman2.0 wrote:
October 23rd, 2021, 8:42 pm
NewUSUfan wrote:
October 23rd, 2021, 6:15 pm
Fyi Heard Wyoming lost by 30 or 40 to Utah today. Not sure on any details.
Utah can rot in hell, how about that?
Is there room for another school in utah county??
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post:
flying_scotsman2.0



aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly
Posts: 12520
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:17 pm
Location: Smithfield, Utah
Has thanked: 8899 times
Been thanked: 6133 times
Contact:

Re: Depth chart

Post by aggies22 » October 25th, 2021, 10:29 am

TheAKAggie wrote:
October 24th, 2021, 9:30 pm
Aggie84025 wrote:
AggiesForever wrote:
October 21st, 2021, 5:09 pm
I've heard that Bairstow may have an injury that could keep him out initially. That's where Hamoda comes in, as they play a similar position with Miller. But Hamoda has been very impressive since arriving in Logan, so he was going to push for playing time anyway.

This is an extremely competitive line-up. People who thought the Aggies were going to experience a down year, better think again. The Aggies may have a 10-man rotation when it comes down to it, ultimately. A lot of talent on this team.

I would think that Potter will redshirt this year, along with Landon Brenchley and Tyler Wagstaff. There just isn't anywhere for them to play.
Don't get me excited, do you think Odom will go 10 deep consistently?
I was his neighbor and I know Cardell Butler did.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I see what you did here........



NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.
Posts: 18857
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:09 am
Location: Where the sagebrush grows!
Has thanked: 1046 times
Been thanked: 1218 times

Re: Depth chart

Post by NVAggie » October 25th, 2021, 10:48 am

I'm sure AK felt all 10



User avatar
AGGIEinIOWA
Posts: 2220
Joined: November 17th, 2010, 10:50 am
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 682 times

Re: Depth chart

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » October 25th, 2021, 11:03 am

slcagg wrote:
NVAggie wrote:
October 25th, 2021, 7:50 am
I found it funny seeing Worster now compared to last year. The urban environment has really changed him.
Do you mean the headband ImageImageImage

Lost the beard, eh? I like Rollie but I always thought he looked a tad scruffy with that thing on his face last year.
These users thanked the author AGGIEinIOWA for the post:
Real Life Aggie



User avatar
Real Life Aggie
Posts: 3210
Joined: April 10th, 2019, 4:28 pm
Location: North Ogden, UT
Has thanked: 3194 times
Been thanked: 1118 times

Re: Depth chart

Post by Real Life Aggie » October 25th, 2021, 11:22 am

AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
October 25th, 2021, 11:03 am
slcagg wrote:
NVAggie wrote:
October 25th, 2021, 7:50 am
I found it funny seeing Worster now compared to last year. The urban environment has really changed him.
Do you mean the headband ImageImageImage

Lost the beard, eh? I like Rollie but I always thought he looked a tad scruffy with that thing on his face last year.
I heard that he threw that beard 65 yards.
These users thanked the author Real Life Aggie for the post (total 2):
NVAggieAglicious



User avatar
scotlandog
Posts: 1411
Joined: February 16th, 2011, 7:18 pm
Has thanked: 103 times
Been thanked: 232 times

Re: Depth chart

Post by scotlandog » October 25th, 2021, 1:14 pm

Real Life Aggie wrote:
AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
October 25th, 2021, 11:03 am
slcagg wrote:
NVAggie wrote:
October 25th, 2021, 7:50 am
I found it funny seeing Worster now compared to last year. The urban environment has really changed him.
Do you mean the headband ImageImageImage

Lost the beard, eh? I like Rollie but I always thought he looked a tad scruffy with that thing on his face last year.
I heard that he threw that beard 65 yards.
I heard he would have thrown it over the mountain if they had just given him the chance.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk



Post Reply Previous topicNext topic