Recruiting for 2022.

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
bpd

Recruiting for 2022.

Post by bpd » August 31st, 2021, 1:05 pm

It seems like recruiting info has dried up. I can think of 3-5 scholarships that will be open and one would think we are spreading a wide net to try and land some targets. Do we have kids on official visits? I can only think of one kid back east who visited over the summer.

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Re: Recruiting for 2022.

Post by aggies22 » August 31st, 2021, 4:10 pm

bpd wrote:
August 31st, 2021, 1:05 pm
It seems like recruiting info has dried up. I can think of 3-5 scholarships that will be open and one would think we are spreading a wide net to try and land some targets. Do we have kids on official visits? I can only think of one kid back east who visited over the summer.
We actually only have one for certain. Brandon Horvath will be out of eligibility after this season. RJ Eytle-Rock, Brock Miller and Justin Bean all still have one season of eligibility remaining. The uncertainty is why it's been so quiet. And for the record, I think it's stupid that we seem to be the only program in the country that has advanced our players eligibility. How are we NOT able to get that right?
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post:
LoveMyAggies

nvspuds

Post by nvspuds » August 31st, 2021, 6:11 pm

Brendan Hausen has narrowed his list to Villanova, Oregon, Oklahoma, Texas Tech, Arizona State and Nevada. He had a lot of offers and If I recall visited USU on his own dime. He really blew up this summer..

The Pack got an official visit from him already and has a scheduled in-home visit September 9th..

Nevada is a long shot at best but the transfer rule has an added dimension. Assume Hausen picks one of the P6 schools..

Alford has built a solid connection to the young man and like Sherfield and Baker he might look to transfer to Nevada if the fit isn't right where he goes this year.. Both those guys were connected to Alford from his recruiting them to UCLA

I don't know who all your coach is looking at but I did notice on the 247 site he has offered several guys with high major offers.. He might be thinking the same way as Alford..

A lot of times it is easier getting a transfer looking for minutes than a high schooler looking for a big time college..

flying_scotsman2.0

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » August 31st, 2021, 7:14 pm

nvspuds wrote:
August 31st, 2021, 6:11 pm
Brendan Hausen has narrowed his list to Villanova, Oregon, Oklahoma, Texas Tech, Arizona State and Nevada. He had a lot of offers and If I recall visited USU on his own dime. He really blew up this summer..

The Pack got an official visit from him already and has a scheduled in-home visit September 9th..

Nevada is a long shot at best but the transfer rule has an added dimension. Assume Hausen picks one of the P6 schools..

Alford has built a solid connection to the young man and like Sherfield and Baker he might look to transfer to Nevada if the fit isn't right where he goes this year.. Both those guys were connected to Alford from his recruiting them to UCLA

I don't know who all your coach is looking at but I did notice on the 247 site he has offered several guys with high major offers.. He might be thinking the same way as Alford..

A lot of times it is easier getting a transfer looking for minutes than a high schooler looking for a big time college..
Nevada has a historical knack for getting highly rated recruits, regardless of who the coach is. It’s pretty impressive.
These users thanked the author flying_scotsman2.0 for the post:
Real Life Aggie

nvspuds

Post by nvspuds » August 31st, 2021, 7:36 pm

Nevada rarely gets a highly rated 4 or 5 star out of high school but they have done well on the transfer market..

I think Hausen is a 4 star..He would be a nice get for sure..

bpd

Post by bpd » August 31st, 2021, 8:15 pm

aggies22 wrote:
August 31st, 2021, 4:10 pm
bpd wrote:
We actually only have one for certain. Brandon Horvath will be out of eligibility after this season. RJ Eytle-Rock, Brock Miller and Justin Bean all still have one season of eligibility remaining. The uncertainty is why it's been so quiet. And for the record, I think it's stupid that we seem to be the only program in the country that has advanced our players eligibility. How are we NOT able to get that right?
I’m almost positive we will have at least 3 and probably more. I’d be shocked if we don’t sign 2 or 3 in November. Now, the question is, are those high school kids or JC?

slcagg

Post by slcagg » August 31st, 2021, 8:29 pm

nvspuds wrote:
August 31st, 2021, 7:36 pm
Nevada rarely gets a highly rated 4 or 5 star out of high school but they have done well on the transfer market..

I think Hausen is a 4 star..He would be a nice get for sure..
What was Babbitt? I believe he was a Reno kid but recall him having some big time interest. Feels like you had a few kids like that.
These users thanked the author slcagg for the post (total 2):
Real Life Aggieflying_scotsman2.0

nvspuds

Post by nvspuds » August 31st, 2021, 8:33 pm

Babbitt was a 5 star..As was Jordan Brown..

The Pack has netted some guys over the years that had multiple power conference offers though. Hymes and Davidson had nice offers..
These users thanked the author nvspuds for the post:
slcagg

Blitz79

Post by Blitz79 » August 31st, 2021, 8:51 pm

It will be interesting to see how good this coaching staff does in their first real recruiting class.
These users thanked the author Blitz79 for the post:
IdaAg93

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » August 31st, 2021, 9:51 pm

bpd wrote:
August 31st, 2021, 8:15 pm
aggies22 wrote:
bpd wrote:
I’m almost positive we will have at least 3 and probably more. I’d be shocked if we don’t sign 2 or 3 in November. Now, the question is, are those high school kids or JC?
They'll take high school kids. They will also try and find a sign and send kid if possible.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post (total 3):
Real Life Aggieflying_scotsman2.0IdaAg93

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » August 31st, 2021, 10:35 pm

I'm hearing from people in Provo that the team there is set to be Pope's best team and they will make some noise this year. And did the ones counting whiteness of teams - they will have 8 that aren't.

Eutaw St. Aggie

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » September 1st, 2021, 6:32 am

aggies22 wrote:
August 31st, 2021, 9:51 pm
bpd wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
bpd wrote:
They'll take high school kids. They will also try and find a sign and send kid if possible.
How can we sign 2 or 3 in November without knowing what Bean, Miller, and Eytle-Rock are going to be doing?

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » September 1st, 2021, 7:49 am

ineptimusprime wrote:
September 1st, 2021, 6:32 am
aggies22 wrote:
bpd wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
bpd wrote:
How can we sign 2 or 3 in November without knowing what Bean, Miller, and Eytle-Rock are going to be doing?
That's exactly what I said in my first post. I've been told this. They know they have one schollie to give for certain. They can pick up a sign and send kid or two if they wanted and it won't matter.

bpd

Post by bpd » September 1st, 2021, 1:15 pm

aggies22 wrote:
September 1st, 2021, 7:49 am
ineptimusprime wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
bpd wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
bpd wrote:
That's exactly what I said in my first post. I've been told this. They know they have one schollie to give for certain. They can pick up a sign and send kid or two if they wanted and it won't matter.
Does anybody really think Bean and Miller are coming back. Bean wants to play in the NBA and is older than his coach. Miller is older than Bean and has health problems. The coaches know this.

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » September 1st, 2021, 1:19 pm

bpd wrote:
September 1st, 2021, 1:15 pm
aggies22 wrote:
ineptimusprime wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
bpd wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
bpd wrote:
Does anybody really think Bean and Miller are coming back. Bean wants to play in the NBA and is older than his coach. Miller is older than Bean and has health problems. The coaches know this.
Bean may "want" to play in the NBA, but the question will be if the NBA "wants" him to play. If they don't, and seems likely, then the question as to whether he comes back becomes trickier.

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » September 1st, 2021, 1:20 pm

bpd wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
ineptimusprime wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
bpd wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
bpd wrote:
I think Justin will return and Brock will be back as long as his spinal issues will allow him too.

browntown

Post by browntown » September 1st, 2021, 1:32 pm

aggies22 wrote:
September 1st, 2021, 1:20 pm
bpd wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
ineptimusprime wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
bpd wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
bpd wrote:
I think Justin will return and Brock will be back as long as his spinal issues will allow him too.
So realistically this might be like a Junior Year for Miller and Bean (assuming they come back)? I don’t know if others feel the same way but it seems like Brock has been here forever. Correct me if I’m wrong but he was a Stew recruit right (signed when Stew was still coaching in 2015)? So he’s played multiple seasons for 3 coaches and was recruited by the coach before.

He will have a PhD soon right? ;)
These users thanked the author browntown for the post:
aggies22

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » September 1st, 2021, 1:33 pm

browntown wrote:
September 1st, 2021, 1:32 pm
aggies22 wrote:
bpd wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
ineptimusprime wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
bpd wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
bpd wrote:
So realistically this might be like a Junior Year for Miller and Bean (assuming they come back)? I don’t know if others feel the same way but it seems like Brock has been here forever. Correct me if I’m wrong but he was a Stew recruit right (signed when Stew was still coaching in 2015)? So he’s played multiple seasons for 3 coaches and was recruited by the coach before.

I'll see if I can get a pulse on what Justin and Brock plan to do but it's likely much too early for any final decisions.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post:
Real Life Aggie

AGGIEinIOWA

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » September 1st, 2021, 2:26 pm

aggies22 wrote:
September 1st, 2021, 1:33 pm
browntown wrote:
September 1st, 2021, 1:32 pm
aggies22 wrote:
bpd wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
ineptimusprime wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
bpd wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
bpd wrote:

I'll see if I can get a pulse on what Justin and Brock plan to do but it's likely much too early for any final decisions.
I know both of them are married so I wonder what year in school their spouses are and when they plan to graduate. Hopefully they are both juniors this year and deeply entrenched in their selected majors. :joking:

Agzrule

Post by Agzrule » September 1st, 2021, 2:40 pm

“Does anybody really think Bean and Miller are coming back. Bean wants to play in the NBA and is older than his coach. Miller is older than Bean and has health problems. The coaches know this.”

This may be the best take I’ve ever read on this board, and I fully agree with the content

LoveMyAggies

Recruiting for 2022.

Post by LoveMyAggies » September 1st, 2021, 3:47 pm

Bean has the potential, he needs to be scoring 20+ consistently, with a solid midrange game, and 30-35% from 3, along with the rest of his intangibles to make it to the NBA.

If you think he is going to leave to the NBA without the referenced improvement offensively you have your head in the sand.

If they both end up sticking around, they would be smart to snag an MBA, on their way out. Especially, Miller since he likely wont play professionally. (He would need to be shooting 45-50% from 3 to make it overseas imho)

usublue27
Has thanked: 0

Post by usublue27 » September 1st, 2021, 4:08 pm

I know Bean is starting his master’s degree in sports management this fall. Not sure how long that program is. His wife has two years left of school. Those might be good enough reasons to stick around another year.
These users thanked the author usublue27 for the post:
LoveMyAggies

Blitz79

Post by Blitz79 » September 1st, 2021, 4:45 pm

Brock is gone after this year. Source level -1.

Real Life Aggie

Post by Real Life Aggie » September 1st, 2021, 6:48 pm

Blitz79 wrote:
September 1st, 2021, 4:45 pm
Brock is gone after this year. Source level -1.
You're a negative one.
These users thanked the author Real Life Aggie for the post:
flying_scotsman2.0

NewUSUfan

Post by NewUSUfan » September 1st, 2021, 6:59 pm

slcagg

Post by slcagg » September 1st, 2021, 8:22 pm

NewUSUfan wrote:
September 1st, 2021, 6:59 pm
Why would you even consider Nebraska in basketball with the options he has?

AGGIEinIOWA

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » September 1st, 2021, 8:45 pm

slcagg wrote:
NewUSUfan wrote:
I was wondering the same thing. Nebraska basketball is a distant second behind Creighton in its own state.

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » September 2nd, 2021, 2:04 am

AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
September 1st, 2021, 8:45 pm
slcagg wrote:
NewUSUfan wrote:
I was wondering the same thing. Nebraska basketball is a distant second behind Creighton in its own state.
The name Nebraska still carries some weight for some odd reason. Doesn't anyone realize the 80s and 90s have passed? They haven't been relevant for nearly 25 or so years in football. Were they ever considered a major player in hoops? I don't recall that being the case.

ususports

Post by ususports » September 2nd, 2021, 8:49 am

aggies22 wrote:
September 2nd, 2021, 2:04 am
AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
September 1st, 2021, 8:45 pm
slcagg wrote:
NewUSUfan wrote:
The name Nebraska still carries some weight for some odd reason. Doesn't anyone realize the 80s and 90s have passed? They haven't been relevant for nearly 25 or so years in football. Were they ever considered a major player in hoops? I don't recall that being the case.
Try telling a BYU fan that the 80s are no longer relevant. You would probably be putting your life at severe risk.
These users thanked the author ususports for the post (total 2):
aggies22AggiePT

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » September 2nd, 2021, 10:29 am

Yossarian wrote:
August 31st, 2021, 10:35 pm
I'm hearing from people in Provo that the team there is set to be Pope's best team and they will make some noise this year. And did the ones counting whiteness of teams - they will have 8 that aren't.
Shocker. You mean to tell me that the perennial pre-season national champion BYU Cougars are going to have their best team ever this year according to their fans? :shock: :shock: :shock:
These users thanked the author treesap32 for the post:
Real Life Aggie

Real Life Aggie

Post by Real Life Aggie » September 2nd, 2021, 10:35 am

treesap32 wrote:
September 2nd, 2021, 10:29 am
Yossarian wrote:
Shocker. You mean to tell me that the perennial pre-season national champion BYU Cougars are going to have their best team ever this year according to their fans? :shock: :shock: :shock:
Quest for Perfection, baby.

aggies1
Pick'em Champ - '20 BB Predict The Score & '20 FB Bowl

Post by aggies1 » September 2nd, 2021, 10:37 am

Earlier this summer, Bean was planning for this to be his final year.

bpd

Post by bpd » September 2nd, 2021, 10:48 am

aggies1 wrote:
September 2nd, 2021, 10:37 am
Earlier this summer, Bean was planning for this to be his final year.
Here is why this will be Bean's last year. There is a small window that these guys have to make money playing basketball (either in Europe or the NBA). Maybe age 20-32. Obviously much of that window has already closed. He is not going take another year out of that window.

Aggie19

Post by Aggie19 » September 2nd, 2021, 10:51 am

Yossarian wrote:
byu-p has never had an issue recruiting players of color and there have never been any rumors of recruiting issues with Pope. So, seems legit...

Go Aggies!

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » September 2nd, 2021, 11:08 am

treesap32 wrote:
September 2nd, 2021, 10:29 am
Yossarian wrote:
right?

Eutaw St. Aggie

Locked Previous topicNext topic