Congrats Sam Merrill

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
LoveMyAggies

Congrats Sam Merrill

Post by LoveMyAggies » July 20th, 2021, 10:09 pm

What a great team accomplishment for the Bucks, thrilled that Sam gets an NBA championship ring. Keep up the hard work!!
These users thanked the author LoveMyAggies for the post (total 8):
3rdGenAggiebrossp24Imakeitrainaggieguy13bluegrouseflying_scotsman2.0FloridaAggie13aggies22

Aggie84025

Re: Congrats Sam Merrill

Post by Aggie84025 » July 20th, 2021, 10:50 pm

Awesome for Sam, got to be a surreal moment for him. I hope he gets more of an opportunity to make an impact in the future. Love that guy.
These users thanked the author Aggie84025 for the post (total 3):
bluegrouseFloridaAggie13aggies22

Olderthandirt

Post by Olderthandirt » July 21st, 2021, 10:14 am

I haven't ever thought about this until right now. Is Sam the first Aggie to win an NBA title?
These users thanked the author Olderthandirt for the post:
aggies22

Aggiefan33

Post by Aggiefan33 » July 21st, 2021, 11:15 am

Yes he is. First NBA title.

We did have an ABA title if I remember correctly.
These users thanked the author Aggiefan33 for the post:
aggies22

The harder you work, the harder it is to Surrender. - Men's Basketball locker room

SectionBAggie

Post by SectionBAggie » July 21st, 2021, 11:27 am

Heard through the grapevine that Sam collects a cool half million in addition to his ring.

Also heard that he is a bigger part of the Bucks future plans than this year's minutes may indicate.

Easy to be happy for the young man.
These users thanked the author SectionBAggie for the post (total 6):
BLUERUFiOReal Life AggieJSHarveyaggies22bluegrouseTurtle

OrangeCountyAggie

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » July 21st, 2021, 2:07 pm

SectionBAggie wrote:
July 21st, 2021, 11:27 am
Heard through the grapevine that Sam collects a cool half million in addition to his ring.

Also heard that he is a bigger part of the Bucks future plans than this year's minutes may indicate.

You have to wonder with the Bucks being over the luxury tax next year (https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/nba- ... threshold/) they'd probably look to shed some salary.

I could see them not bringing back Teague and perhaps look to shed Connington and/or Divnecenzo (who didn't play in the finals) both of whom almost got traded last off-season. Maybe Sam would be a more cost-effective replacement for one of those guys. Just a thought.

Real Life Aggie

Post by Real Life Aggie » July 21st, 2021, 2:46 pm

OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
July 21st, 2021, 2:07 pm
SectionBAggie wrote:
July 21st, 2021, 11:27 am

You have to wonder with the Bucks being over the luxury tax next year (https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/nba- ... threshold/) they'd probably look to shed some salary.

I could see them not bringing back Teague and perhaps look to shed Connington and/or Divnecenzo (who didn't play in the finals) both of whom almost got traded last off-season. Maybe Sam would be a more cost-effective replacement for one of those guys. Just a thought.
I assume you mean Connaughton. I think he and DDV (despite not playing in the finals) are key pieces that couldn't be replaced by any of the bench guys next season, imo. FWIW, I complained about Pat most of the season long thinking that Sam should be getting some of his minutes, but I don't know if Sam is there yet.

I'd be okay if they parted way with Forbes. I'm not certain what Tucker's plans are; he's getting old. Plus, Bobby Portis' stock certainly rose this year.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » July 21st, 2021, 6:00 pm

Connaughton isn't going anywhere. He was a key part of their rotation who filled his role well in the playoffs, is under contract next year only making 5 million next year. I doubt Divincenzo goes anywhere this offseason either. Yeah he was hurt for the postseason, but he is a pretty good bargain on only 4 million a year.

With what the Bucks are paying their big 3, they need low salary contributors like Connaughton and Divincenzo.
These users thanked the author Aggie formerly in Hawaii for the post:
Real Life Aggie

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » July 22nd, 2021, 9:46 am

Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
July 21st, 2021, 6:00 pm
Connaughton isn't going anywhere. He was a key part of their rotation who filled his role well in the playoffs, is under contract next year only making 5 million next year. I doubt Divincenzo goes anywhere this offseason either. Yeah he was hurt for the postseason, but he is a pretty good bargain on only 4 million a year.

With what the Bucks are paying their big 3, they need low salary contributors like Connaughton and Divincenzo.
Maybe Connaughton will go back to baseball? I think the Orioles still own his rights - they drafted him in the fourth round in 2014 as a pitcher. He played one season of low-A ball for them.

He is a good athlete. I would guess he sticks with basketball, however.
These users thanked the author Yossarian for the post:
Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Eutaw St. Aggie

Real Life Aggie

Post by Real Life Aggie » July 22nd, 2021, 10:18 am

Yossarian wrote:
July 22nd, 2021, 9:46 am
Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
July 21st, 2021, 6:00 pm

Maybe Connaughton will go back to baseball? I think the Orioles still own his rights - they drafted him in the fourth round in 2014 as a pitcher. He played one season of low-A ball for them.

He is a good athlete. I would guess he sticks with basketball, however.
So he can make a tenth as much money? Hmm... I bet he's really having a hard time deciding. :lol:

I would have said all season long that DDV was a better bargain for the Bucks, but Pat did great in every series in the playoffs, stepping up at a number of key points. But, then again, I know basically nothing about the NBA. This year was the first time I actually watched an NBA game. I'd seen clips or been at someone's house when they were watching one before, but I'd never really watched myself. So... :noidea:

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » July 22nd, 2021, 11:26 am

It’s too bad the Bucks are likely going to cut Sam in favor of the BYU guy they brought in.

CaptainChaos

Post by CaptainChaos » July 22nd, 2021, 11:34 am

Aggiefan33 wrote:
July 21st, 2021, 11:15 am
Yes he is. First NBA title.

We did have an ABA title if I remember correctly.
Sam might be the only one to win as a player- Dick Motta is an NBA champion as a coach- any others?

3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff

Post by 3rdGenAggie » July 22nd, 2021, 12:40 pm

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

Cuchelain

Post by Cuchelain » July 22nd, 2021, 1:47 pm

There is something so incredibly appropriate about this photo. Sam gets denied a chance to play in the NCAA tourney his senior year. So he goes out and gets himself an NBA championship the next year. Your move universe.
These users thanked the author Cuchelain for the post (total 2):
USU78Winkie

Winkie

Post by Winkie » July 22nd, 2021, 3:46 pm

Cuchelain wrote:
July 22nd, 2021, 1:47 pm
There is something so incredibly appropriate about this photo. Sam gets denied a chance to play in the NCAA tourney his senior year. So he goes out and gets himself an NBA championship the next year. Your move universe.
Karma can be a B****; but she can also be a Sweetheart! :thanks:

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » July 22nd, 2021, 4:11 pm

Locked Previous topicNext topic