Jones and Bairstow look great

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
QuackAttackAggie
Pick'em Champ - '12, '22 Bowl; '15, '17 Weekly; '18 BB Predict the Score; '22 Kickoff

Post by QuackAttackAggie » July 10th, 2021, 11:34 am

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author QuackAttackAggie for the post:
AggieArmy

ineptimusprime

Re: Jones and Bairstow look great

Post by ineptimusprime » July 10th, 2021, 11:38 am

QuackAttackAggie wrote:
July 10th, 2021, 11:34 am

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
They do. The Powder League is a pro-am where the competition is a bit of a mixed bag. Everything from current NBA and college players to random dudes.

AGGIEinIOWA

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » July 10th, 2021, 1:29 pm

I don’t know a lot about the Powder League, or how up to date the stats are on their website, but I take it as a good sign that Bairstow is 3rd highest scorer in the league and has the highest 3pt%.
IMG_0282.jpg
IMG_0282.jpg
Attachments
IMG_0280.jpg

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » July 10th, 2021, 1:51 pm

AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
July 10th, 2021, 1:29 pm
I don’t know a lot about the Powder League, or how up to date the stats are on their website, but I take it as a good sign that Bairstow is 3rd highest scorer in the league and has the highest 3pt%.
IMG_0280.jpg
IMG_0282.jpg
I don't know anything about this league but my guess is that these stats, at least the ppg stats, are from 4 games played.
These users thanked the author Yossarian for the post:
lynnmoree

Eutaw St. Aggie

cval

Post by cval » July 10th, 2021, 3:50 pm

Jaxon Brenchley Huh?
These users thanked the author cval for the post:
lynnmoree

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » July 10th, 2021, 10:35 pm

Thanks for posting. I still have high hopes for bairstow. He has a unique skill set. I hope Odom can instill confidence in him as he did not have any last year. I do think he should be playing in the 3 spot. He does not need to be a primary ball handler. That half court pass by Rylan was awesome.
These users thanked the author Aggie84025 for the post (total 3):
lynnmoree3rdGenAggieaggies22

IdaAg93

Post by IdaAg93 » July 11th, 2021, 8:10 am

Aggie84025 wrote:
July 10th, 2021, 10:35 pm
Thanks for posting. I still have high hopes for bairstow. He has a unique skill set. I hope Odom can instill confidence in him as he did not have any last year. I do think he should be playing in the 3 spot. He does not need to be a primary ball handler. That half court pass by Rylan was awesome.
This!!
These users thanked the author IdaAg93 for the post:
3rdGenAggie

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » July 12th, 2021, 11:51 am

Wow, I'm glad those two are playing in these games. I wish more of our guys would compete. I wonder how they got into it, and why more of our players aren't participating.

aggies95

Post by aggies95 » July 12th, 2021, 11:59 am

treesap32 wrote:
July 12th, 2021, 11:51 am
Wow, I'm glad those two are playing in these games. I wish more of our guys would compete. I wonder how they got into it, and why more of our players aren't participating.
I read that each team has 8 spots and 2 "guest spots". Rylan Jones is actually on one of the rosters. I'm guessing that Bairstow used one of the guest spots. The Powder league is the best pickup ball in the state - full of pro and college talent. Hopefully more current Aggies get an opportunity to play in it before the season is over.

AGGIEinIOWA

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » July 12th, 2021, 2:22 pm

aggies95 wrote:
treesap32 wrote:
July 12th, 2021, 11:51 am
I read that each team has 8 spots and 2 "guest spots". Rylan Jones is actually on one of the rosters. I'm guessing that Bairstow used one of the guest spots. The Powder league is the best pickup ball in the state - full of pro and college talent. Hopefully more current Aggies get an opportunity to play in it before the season is over.
I thought I also read that only two current college plays can be on a team. Can anyone verify that? That could explain why there aren’t more Aggies (or other current college players) participating.

SwaggieAggie

Post by SwaggieAggie » July 12th, 2021, 3:24 pm

I’ll be eating a lot of crow if Bairstow balls out this year. And I’m good with that!
These users thanked the author SwaggieAggie for the post:
IdaAg93

3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff

Post by 3rdGenAggie » July 12th, 2021, 4:25 pm

SwaggieAggie wrote:
July 12th, 2021, 3:24 pm
I’ll be eating a lot of crow if Bairstow balls out this year. And I’m good with that!
I really think it'll come down to how he's used. Until he greatly improves his handle, he needs to be an off-the-ball type that never takes more than 1 dribble between receiving the pass and shooting or passing.
These users thanked the author 3rdGenAggie for the post (total 2):
BLUERUFiOtreesap32

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

AGGIEinIOWA

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » July 13th, 2021, 10:08 am

Bairstow has always moved very well and is rather quick for his length. It just seemed like the game hadn't slowed down for him yet. Things like making a great drive but unable to finish at the rim, or getting antsy with the ball and dribbling off a foot or getting called for traveling due to running before he could get a dribble down. At least these videos show that the game seems to be slowing down for him. This is a good sign as he's always had the tools to be an impact player. If his 3pt% and defense is on par, he could push Brock for a starting spot.
These users thanked the author AGGIEinIOWA for the post (total 5):
3rdGenAggieAggie84025Real Life Aggieflying_scotsman2.0aggies22

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » July 13th, 2021, 11:19 am

AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
July 13th, 2021, 10:08 am
Bairstow has always moved very well and is rather quick for his length. It just seemed like the game hadn't slowed down for him yet. Things like making a great drive but unable to finish at the rim, or getting antsy with the ball and dribbling off a foot or getting called for traveling due to running before he could get a dribble down. At least these videos show that the game seems to be slowing down for him. This is a good sign as he's always had the tools to be an impact player. If his 3pt% and defense is on par, he could push Brock for a starting spot.
He’s athletic, but doesn’t have a great handle and shouldn’t really drive, except for like straightline drives attacking closeouts. He should expend most of his energy on defense and should focus on hitting threes on kickouts from Jones and Eytle-Rock drives and scoring off passes from cuts to the basket.

He should be our Royce O’Neale. It’s silly to try to play him as a Donovan Mitchell.
These users thanked the author ineptimusprime for the post:
3rdGenAggie

flying_scotsman2.0

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » July 13th, 2021, 1:00 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:
July 13th, 2021, 11:19 am
AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
He’s athletic, but doesn’t have a great handle and shouldn’t really drive, except for like straightline drives attacking closeouts. He should expend most of his energy on defense and should focus on hitting threes on kickouts from Jones and Eytle-Rock drives and scoring off passes from cuts to the basket.

He should be our Royce O’Neale. It’s silly to try to play him as a Donovan Mitchell.
To me Bairstow should be like a Jalen Moore for us. Similar build, similar athleticism, similar skill set. I’d like to see him play a role like that.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » July 13th, 2021, 1:10 pm

flying_scotsman2.0 wrote:
July 13th, 2021, 1:00 pm
ineptimusprime wrote:
AGGIEinIOWA wrote:

To me Bairstow should be like a Jalen Moore for us. Similar build, similar athleticism, similar skill set. I’d like to see him play a role like that.
I don’t think he’s nearly as polished and skilled as Jalen was. I just don’t ever want to see Bairstow trying to create his own shot ever again. He should focus on being a true 3&D wing player. Hone his craft on D and focus on shooting. He can be a valuable rotation player and really good college player for us if he does those things.

flying_scotsman2.0

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » July 13th, 2021, 1:27 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:
July 13th, 2021, 1:10 pm
July 13th, 2021, 1:00 pm
ineptimusprime wrote:
AGGIEinIOWA wrote:

I don’t think he’s nearly as polished and skilled as Jalen was. I just don’t ever want to see Bairstow trying to create his own shot ever again. He should focus on being a true 3&D wing player. Hone his craft on D and focus on shooting. He can be a valuable rotation player and really good college player for us if he does those things.
He’s certainly not there yet, but I think if he put in the work that is where he could be.

AGGIEinIOWA

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » July 13th, 2021, 1:34 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:
AGGIEinIOWA wrote:

I think having someone like Jones on the floor will really benefit Bairstow. TBH I think having Jones on the floor will benefit everyone. He’s a crafty maestro with the ball and should help orchestrate some nice scoring plays next season. I expect him to average 10pts, 5 assists and less than 2 turnovers. I also think we won’t play a true center much with capable shooters all the way around, thus opening up the middle for Bairstow to attack the rim.

tipitup
Pick'em Champ - '18 WTHCG

Post by tipitup » July 13th, 2021, 1:41 pm

AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
July 13th, 2021, 1:34 pm
ineptimusprime wrote:
AGGIEinIOWA wrote:

I think having someone like Jones on the floor will really benefit Bairstow. TBH I think having Jones on the floor will benefit everyone. He’s a crafty maestro with the ball and should help orchestrate some nice scoring plays next season. I expect him to average 10pts, 5 assists and less than 2 turnovers. I also think we won’t play a true center much with capable shooters all the way around, thus opening up the middle for Bairstow to attack the rim.
i think if you were to tell Bairstow not to drive, his whole game would go to pot. I would assume that that was one of the reasons he was even looked at to come here. You can't take away a persons game and expect him to just be a spot up shooter. just my 2 cents worth

LarryTheAggie

Post by LarryTheAggie » July 13th, 2021, 1:56 pm

I wonder if Smith was the wrong coach for Bairstow. Bairstow plays with an attack mentality and so pairing that with Smiths high energy, raw raw, go go go coaching style may have encouraged him to play out of control. The kid has skill, I am hoping that Odom's more fundamental style will help Bairstow play more in control and meet his potential.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » July 13th, 2021, 2:57 pm

tipitup wrote:
July 13th, 2021, 1:41 pm
AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
July 13th, 2021, 1:34 pm
ineptimusprime wrote:
AGGIEinIOWA wrote:

i think if you were to tell Bairstow not to drive, his whole game would go to pot. I would assume that that was one of the reasons he was even looked at to come here. You can't take away a persons game and expect him to just be a spot up shooter. just my 2 cents worth
Which “game” of Bairstow’s is that? Is it the one where he turns it over committing a charge, turns it over from losing the handle, or turns it over tripping over himself on a fast break?

He has the potential to be a good player, but I don’t think it’s being a player that drives to the basket or by creating his own shot. We have a lot of guys better at that than him on the roster, and he has proven to be nothing but a turnover machine when doing that.

He can hit threes and is long and athletic enough to defend 1-4. He should focus the energy he plays with on becoming a perimeter defensive stopper for us.

I still believe in Bairstow as a player, but it’s as a 3&D wing. If he or the staff insists on using him as a primary ballhandler and shot creator, he’ll end up transferring or riding the pine. Just the truth.
These users thanked the author ineptimusprime for the post:
Yossarian

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » July 13th, 2021, 3:04 pm

Barstow can be a very good wing. He shouldn't be a primary ball handler.

nswaggie

Post by nswaggie » July 14th, 2021, 2:58 pm

Aggie84025 wrote:
July 10th, 2021, 10:35 pm
I was also gonna say something about that pass. They make it look easy, but that is a tough play to execute. The pass has to be spot on as it was.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » July 25th, 2021, 9:32 pm

I'm definitely excited to see what Bairstow brings to the team this year. I'm hoping to see a Brito type jump.
These users thanked the author Aggie formerly in Hawaii for the post:
aggies22

Locked Previous topicNext topic