Queta

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
AgMan21
Posts: 1523
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 6:01 pm
Has thanked: 136 times
Been thanked: 250 times

Re: Queta

Post by AgMan21 » June 27th, 2021, 2:43 pm

Queta at a work out. His jump shot looks good.

https://twitter.com/draftexpress/statu ... 69484?s=21


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author AgMan21 for the post:
slcagg



AggiePT
Posts: 257
Joined: August 7th, 2019, 1:41 pm
Has thanked: 554 times
Been thanked: 148 times

Re: Queta

Post by AggiePT » June 29th, 2021, 9:49 am

AgMan21 wrote:
June 27th, 2021, 2:43 pm
Queta at a work out. His jump shot looks good.

https://twitter.com/draftexpress/statu ... 69484?s=21


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You're not kidding! He looks more athletic, bouncy and smooth than ever before. He has clearly been putting in the work. We were so lucky to have him.



AggieFBObsession
Posts: 1300
Joined: January 25th, 2011, 12:15 pm
Has thanked: 2025 times
Been thanked: 270 times

Re: Queta

Post by AggieFBObsession » June 29th, 2021, 12:52 pm

No way that Queta is drafted in the 1st round.



User avatar
GUS
Posts: 2983
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 11:04 am
Has thanked: 142 times
Been thanked: 304 times

Re: Queta

Post by GUS » June 29th, 2021, 1:42 pm

Yes way



User avatar
Real Life Aggie
Posts: 3005
Joined: April 10th, 2019, 4:28 pm
Location: North Ogden, UT
Has thanked: 2920 times
Been thanked: 1023 times

Re: Queta

Post by Real Life Aggie » June 29th, 2021, 2:11 pm

Sí güey.
These users thanked the author Real Life Aggie for the post:
MrBiggle



User avatar
ViAggie
Posts: 14383
Joined: June 16th, 2011, 6:49 pm
Location: Temecula, California
Has thanked: 1354 times
Been thanked: 745 times

Re: Queta

Post by ViAggie » June 29th, 2021, 5:07 pm

it's going to be awesome to have two Aggies in the NBA
These users thanked the author ViAggie for the post (total 4):
AggieFBObsessionslcaggReal Life Aggieaggies22


Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

tugafan
Posts: 22
Joined: December 18th, 2019, 5:50 pm
Has thanked: 13 times
Been thanked: 19 times

Re: Queta

Post by tugafan » July 4th, 2021, 9:33 pm

Queta is in Milwaukee now, has a workout with the Bucks.
These users thanked the author tugafan for the post (total 3):
MrBiggleAggieArmyaggies22



User avatar
ineptimusprime
Posts: 4364
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 12:07 pm
Has thanked: 175 times
Been thanked: 1667 times

Re: Queta

Post by ineptimusprime » July 5th, 2021, 9:17 am





Yep, in Milwaukee, then he’ll be doing workouts for various other teams throughout the week.

I’ve heard he’ll be at the Jazz/T’Wolves mega-workout later this week too.

Things are looking good for Neemi getting drafted, very likely in the second round.
These users thanked the author ineptimusprime for the post (total 3):
aggies22Real Life AggieAggieFBObsession



mcaggie1
Posts: 3154
Joined: November 5th, 2010, 3:14 pm
Has thanked: 274 times
Been thanked: 461 times

Re: Queta

Post by mcaggie1 » July 5th, 2021, 12:10 pm

It would be very fun to keep him here in Utah. I think he would too
These users thanked the author mcaggie1 for the post:
USU78



SwaggieAggie
Posts: 276
Joined: September 17th, 2019, 10:04 pm
Has thanked: 30 times
Been thanked: 123 times

Re: Queta

Post by SwaggieAggie » July 5th, 2021, 1:29 pm

I’d 100% take Queta over the Azuibuike kid the Jazz drafted last year. Great passer, nice touch around the rim, and if he keeps working on the jumper he could definitely be a rotational player in the league.



User avatar
ineptimusprime
Posts: 4364
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 12:07 pm
Has thanked: 175 times
Been thanked: 1667 times

Re: Queta

Post by ineptimusprime » July 5th, 2021, 8:04 pm

Unfortunately, I think the Utah Jazz is probably the least likely landing spot in the entire NBA for Queta.

They already have like half of their salary cap devoted to rim protecting bigs.

Honestly, I’d rather see Queta go elsewhere and thrive and increase our name recognition somewhere else in the US.
These users thanked the author ineptimusprime for the post (total 3):
Real Life AggieJSHarveyAggieFBObsession



OrangeCountyAggie
Posts: 891
Joined: December 17th, 2018, 12:46 pm
Has thanked: 205 times
Been thanked: 322 times

Re: Queta

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » July 6th, 2021, 5:20 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:
July 5th, 2021, 9:17 am




Yep, in Milwaukee, then he’ll be doing workouts for various other teams throughout the week.

I’ve heard he’ll be at the Jazz/T’Wolves mega-workout later this week too.

Things are looking good for Neemi getting drafted, very likely in the second round.
Or lower first.



mcaggie1
Posts: 3154
Joined: November 5th, 2010, 3:14 pm
Has thanked: 274 times
Been thanked: 461 times

Re: Queta

Post by mcaggie1 » July 6th, 2021, 5:34 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:
July 5th, 2021, 8:04 pm
Unfortunately, I think the Utah Jazz is probably the least likely landing spot in the entire NBA for Queta.

They already have like half of their salary cap devoted to rim protecting bigs.

Honestly, I’d rather see Queta go elsewhere and thrive and increase our name recognition somewhere else in the US.
Azubuike
Favors
Gobert

That's it. That is all the Jazz have on their current roster. In other words they have one...just one viable Center.
Azubuike's work speaks for itself. He is not a good addition at all for the Jazz. And Favors? Did you see his work during the playoffs? Terrible. He was only a liability.
The Jazz really need a real rim protector. I think Queta would be a nice fit. If he continues to improve his shot...he could help early.



User avatar
ineptimusprime
Posts: 4364
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 12:07 pm
Has thanked: 175 times
Been thanked: 1667 times

Re: Queta

Post by ineptimusprime » July 6th, 2021, 8:05 pm

I’m biased because I love Doke and Neemi, but by objective metrics, Doke is a much better athlete than Neemi. Their comparative combine stats bear that out. Neemi is much more skilled. Doke is a grizzly bear with a 37 inch vertical.

It is far too early to make any judgments about Doke. The Jazz stupidly signed Favors instead of giving Doke backup Center minutes. The Jazz’s entire last offseason made zero sense. But that’s not Doke’s fault. He was injured most of the season and buried behind two veterans.

Dennis Lindsey was rightfully fired. He has handled the Jazz very poorly and stumbled his way into Rudy and Donovan to cover a multitude of sins. Really dumb management overall.
These users thanked the author ineptimusprime for the post (total 2):
brownjeansAggieFBObsession



mcaggie1
Posts: 3154
Joined: November 5th, 2010, 3:14 pm
Has thanked: 274 times
Been thanked: 461 times

Re: Queta

Post by mcaggie1 » July 7th, 2021, 9:46 am

ineptimusprime wrote:
July 6th, 2021, 8:05 pm
I’m biased because I love Doke and Neemi, but by objective metrics, Doke is a much better athlete than Neemi. Their comparative combine stats bear that out. Neemi is much more skilled. Doke is a grizzly bear with a 37 inch vertical.

It is far too early to make any judgments about Doke. The Jazz stupidly signed Favors instead of giving Doke backup Center minutes. The Jazz’s entire last offseason made zero sense. But that’s not Doke’s fault. He was injured most of the season and buried behind two veterans.

Dennis Lindsey was rightfully fired. He has handled the Jazz very poorly and stumbled his way into Rudy and Donovan to cover a multitude of sins. Really dumb management overall.
I think you make a good point about Doke. I was a bit presumptuous, and maybe a bit unfair. I haven’t seen him much because I don’t watch Jazz games til they get to the playoffs, and I wasn’t impressed with him in the playoffs. Most younger guys don’t play well in the playoffs until they get the stars out of their eyes.



tugafan
Posts: 22
Joined: December 18th, 2019, 5:50 pm
Has thanked: 13 times
Been thanked: 19 times

Re: Queta

Post by tugafan » July 7th, 2021, 11:01 am

Queta is in Phoenix today for a workout with the Suns, don't think they have any 2° round picks...
These users thanked the author tugafan for the post:
AggieArmy



User avatar
Real Life Aggie
Posts: 3005
Joined: April 10th, 2019, 4:28 pm
Location: North Ogden, UT
Has thanked: 2920 times
Been thanked: 1023 times

Re: Queta

Post by Real Life Aggie » July 7th, 2021, 11:16 am

tugafan wrote:
July 7th, 2021, 11:01 am
Queta is in Phoenix today for a workout with the Suns, don't think they have any 2° round picks...
Picking up 2nd round picks isn't that big of a deal, right?
These users thanked the author Real Life Aggie for the post:
BLUERUFiO



OrangeCountyAggie
Posts: 891
Joined: December 17th, 2018, 12:46 pm
Has thanked: 205 times
Been thanked: 322 times

Re: Queta

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » July 7th, 2021, 1:53 pm

mcaggie1 wrote:
July 6th, 2021, 5:34 pm
ineptimusprime wrote:
July 5th, 2021, 8:04 pm
Unfortunately, I think the Utah Jazz is probably the least likely landing spot in the entire NBA for Queta.

They already have like half of their salary cap devoted to rim protecting bigs.

Honestly, I’d rather see Queta go elsewhere and thrive and increase our name recognition somewhere else in the US.
Azubuike
Favors
Gobert

That's it. That is all the Jazz have on their current roster. In other words they have one...just one viable Center.
Azubuike's work speaks for itself. He is not a good addition at all for the Jazz. And Favors? Did you see his work during the playoffs? Terrible. He was only a liability.
The Jazz really need a real rim protector. I think Queta would be a nice fit. If he continues to improve his shot...he could help early.
If they bring back Connelly, I'll bet Favors gets bought out/traded, as they REALLY need that money to come off their books. That said, Queta might be an option given there was some early talk about Neemie (potentially) playing some 4 in the NBA.



User avatar
ineptimusprime
Posts: 4364
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 12:07 pm
Has thanked: 175 times
Been thanked: 1667 times

Re: Queta

Post by ineptimusprime » July 7th, 2021, 2:57 pm

Real Life Aggie wrote:
July 7th, 2021, 11:16 am
tugafan wrote:
July 7th, 2021, 11:01 am
Queta is in Phoenix today for a workout with the Suns, don't think they have any 2° round picks...
Picking up 2nd round picks isn't that big of a deal, right?
Yep, second round picks get sold for cash all the time. Especially picks after No. 45 or so. I think the “hit” rate for guys staying in the league is better for undrafted guys than it is those drafted 45-60.

I swear I read somewhere that the only guys drafted in that range since 2015 that are current NBA rotation guys are Georges Niang on the Jazz and DeAnthony Melton on the Grizzlies. Something like that.

The only scenario where I can see Queta ending up with the Jazz is if Favors gets moved AND Queta goes undrafted and signs a UFA deal with the Jazz as their 2nd developmental big. That’s not the situation I want for Queta.

I think Neemi gets drafted though.



User avatar
3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff
Posts: 8560
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 11:53 pm
Location: The City of the Salty Lake
Has thanked: 1455 times
Been thanked: 611 times

Re: Queta

Post by 3rdGenAggie » July 7th, 2021, 3:22 pm

The Favors signing made some sense, in a way, but it was probably too reactionary. The Jazz blew the series lead against the Nuggets entirely in the minutes Gobert wasn't on the floor. I think the sting from that was real and they grabbed Favors because he loves Utah, Utah loves him and he can provide some rim defense for the bench. (He was fine in the regular season, struggled in the playoffs.)

Doke was a picked for the same reason. To provide 48 minutes of a big, athletic defender in the paint. I personally hated the pick then and hate the pick now. I don't hate that they picked Doke, I hate that they took him in the first round. If he was their guy, he would have been available in the early 2nd round. The Jazz went into the draft with 23 and traded with the Knicks to get 27 and 38. They traded 38 to dump Bradley, and then moved back into 39 for a future 2nd to get Elijah Hughes.

They out-smarted themselves entirely. Stay at 27 and 38, pick Desmond Bane or Jalen McDaniels then grab Doke at 38. If you're afraid he's going to be gone by then, trade 38 and cash to move up a few spots...those moves are always available. They got 39 for a future second and cash.

(FWIW: As rookies, McDaniels had the 3rd highest Net Rating on a T-Wolves team that actually wasn't terrible once they were healthy, and Bane was solidly in the rotation of a playoff Grizzlies team.)


Anyway...back to Neemie. :lol:


"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

browntown
Posts: 49
Joined: April 23rd, 2012, 2:21 pm
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 12 times

Re: Queta

Post by browntown » July 8th, 2021, 11:51 am

ineptimusprime wrote:
July 7th, 2021, 2:57 pm
Real Life Aggie wrote:
July 7th, 2021, 11:16 am
tugafan wrote:
July 7th, 2021, 11:01 am
Queta is in Phoenix today for a workout with the Suns, don't think they have any 2° round picks...
Picking up 2nd round picks isn't that big of a deal, right?
Yep, second round picks get sold for cash all the time. Especially picks after No. 45 or so. I think the “hit” rate for guys staying in the league is better for undrafted guys than it is those drafted 45-60.

I swear I read somewhere that the only guys drafted in that range since 2015 that are current NBA rotation guys are Georges Niang on the Jazz and DeAnthony Melton on the Grizzlies. Something like that.

The only scenario where I can see Queta ending up with the Jazz is if Favors gets moved AND Queta goes undrafted and signs a UFA deal with the Jazz as their 2nd developmental big. That’s not the situation I want for Queta.

I think Neemi gets drafted though.
Just checked out a Mock Draft from Bleacher Report, it had Queta at #60. Hope he goes higher but getting drafted at the same pick as Merrill would be cool too. As long as he’s drafted, and it’s a good situation for him and his development I’ll be happy. Maybe next year he’ll be in the NBA finals like Sam is this year?
These users thanked the author browntown for the post:
tugafan



tugafan
Posts: 22
Joined: December 18th, 2019, 5:50 pm
Has thanked: 13 times
Been thanked: 19 times

Re: Queta

Post by tugafan » July 8th, 2021, 12:21 pm

He's 48th in SI latest mock draft, 40th in Chad ford's mock, and 52nd in USA today's board. Seems to be climbing on some boards.



User avatar
ineptimusprime
Posts: 4364
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 12:07 pm
Has thanked: 175 times
Been thanked: 1667 times

Re: Queta

Post by ineptimusprime » July 8th, 2021, 11:29 pm

3rdGenAggie wrote:
July 7th, 2021, 3:22 pm
The Favors signing made some sense, in a way, but it was probably too reactionary. The Jazz blew the series lead against the Nuggets entirely in the minutes Gobert wasn't on the floor. I think the sting from that was real and they grabbed Favors because he loves Utah, Utah loves him and he can provide some rim defense for the bench. (He was fine in the regular season, struggled in the playoffs.)

Doke was a picked for the same reason. To provide 48 minutes of a big, athletic defender in the paint. I personally hated the pick then and hate the pick now. I don't hate that they picked Doke, I hate that they took him in the first round. If he was their guy, he would have been available in the early 2nd round. The Jazz went into the draft with 23 and traded with the Knicks to get 27 and 38. They traded 38 to dump Bradley, and then moved back into 39 for a future 2nd to get Elijah Hughes.

They out-smarted themselves entirely. Stay at 27 and 38, pick Desmond Bane or Jalen McDaniels then grab Doke at 38. If you're afraid he's going to be gone by then, trade 38 and cash to move up a few spots...those moves are always available. They got 39 for a future second and cash.

(FWIW: As rookies, McDaniels had the 3rd highest Net Rating on a T-Wolves team that actually wasn't terrible once they were healthy, and Bane was solidly in the rotation of a playoff Grizzlies team.)


Anyway...back to Neemie. :lol:
I was okay with the Doke pick at the time, but I hated the pick once they signed Favors with the MLE a few days later. Those moves together made no sense at all.

The last two offseasons have had some really boneheaded moves and have just been absolute messes at the margins. Sign or extend the wrong guys (Tony Bradley, Ed Davis), then give up picks to get off those guys the next offseason, then use our two biggest offseason assets to add Doke and Favors, then give up a pick for Matt Thomas (who?) when Torrey Craig was there for free.
These users thanked the author ineptimusprime for the post:
3rdGenAggie



gomretat
Posts: 788
Joined: November 27th, 2013, 10:16 am
Has thanked: 139 times
Been thanked: 105 times

Re: Queta

Post by gomretat » July 9th, 2021, 12:03 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:
July 8th, 2021, 11:29 pm
3rdGenAggie wrote:
July 7th, 2021, 3:22 pm
The Favors signing made some sense, in a way, but it was probably too reactionary. The Jazz blew the series lead against the Nuggets entirely in the minutes Gobert wasn't on the floor. I think the sting from that was real and they grabbed Favors because he loves Utah, Utah loves him and he can provide some rim defense for the bench. (He was fine in the regular season, struggled in the playoffs.)

Doke was a picked for the same reason. To provide 48 minutes of a big, athletic defender in the paint. I personally hated the pick then and hate the pick now. I don't hate that they picked Doke, I hate that they took him in the first round. If he was their guy, he would have been available in the early 2nd round. The Jazz went into the draft with 23 and traded with the Knicks to get 27 and 38. They traded 38 to dump Bradley, and then moved back into 39 for a future 2nd to get Elijah Hughes.

They out-smarted themselves entirely. Stay at 27 and 38, pick Desmond Bane or Jalen McDaniels then grab Doke at 38. If you're afraid he's going to be gone by then, trade 38 and cash to move up a few spots...those moves are always available. They got 39 for a future second and cash.

(FWIW: As rookies, McDaniels had the 3rd highest Net Rating on a T-Wolves team that actually wasn't terrible once they were healthy, and Bane was solidly in the rotation of a playoff Grizzlies team.)


Anyway...back to Neemie. :lol:
I was okay with the Doke pick at the time, but I hated the pick once they signed Favors with the MLE a few days later. Those moves together made no sense at all.

The last two offseasons have had some really boneheaded moves and have just been absolute messes at the margins. Sign or extend the wrong guys (Tony Bradley, Ed Davis), then give up picks to get off those guys the next offseason, then use our two biggest offseason assets to add Doke and Favors, then give up a pick for Matt Thomas (who?) when Torrey Craig was there for free.
I liked the Doke pick and still do, even though everyone else hates it. The draft outside of a few picks every year is about taking a gamble, - like the Jazz did with Rudy. Doke seemed like a project pick with the idea that the could be used 3 years out but with some real potential. I still hope it works but who knows. And finding someone in that draft range that was a contributing wing this year was unlikely.
These users thanked the author gomretat for the post:
3rdGenAggie



User avatar
Mr. Sneelock
Posts: 6322
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 10:09 am
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Has thanked: 25 times
Been thanked: 455 times

Re: Queta

Post by Mr. Sneelock » July 9th, 2021, 12:04 pm

So help me Zeus, if the Jazz draft another backup center, I'll utter all the dirty words.
Last edited by Mr. Sneelock on July 9th, 2021, 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author Mr. Sneelock for the post:
3rdGenAggie


Formerly TulsAGGIE

User avatar
Mr. Sneelock
Posts: 6322
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 10:09 am
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Has thanked: 25 times
Been thanked: 455 times

Re: Queta

Post by Mr. Sneelock » July 9th, 2021, 12:07 pm

gomretat wrote:
July 9th, 2021, 12:03 pm
ineptimusprime wrote:
July 8th, 2021, 11:29 pm
3rdGenAggie wrote:
July 7th, 2021, 3:22 pm
The Favors signing made some sense, in a way, but it was probably too reactionary. The Jazz blew the series lead against the Nuggets entirely in the minutes Gobert wasn't on the floor. I think the sting from that was real and they grabbed Favors because he loves Utah, Utah loves him and he can provide some rim defense for the bench. (He was fine in the regular season, struggled in the playoffs.)

Doke was a picked for the same reason. To provide 48 minutes of a big, athletic defender in the paint. I personally hated the pick then and hate the pick now. I don't hate that they picked Doke, I hate that they took him in the first round. If he was their guy, he would have been available in the early 2nd round. The Jazz went into the draft with 23 and traded with the Knicks to get 27 and 38. They traded 38 to dump Bradley, and then moved back into 39 for a future 2nd to get Elijah Hughes.

They out-smarted themselves entirely. Stay at 27 and 38, pick Desmond Bane or Jalen McDaniels then grab Doke at 38. If you're afraid he's going to be gone by then, trade 38 and cash to move up a few spots...those moves are always available. They got 39 for a future second and cash.

(FWIW: As rookies, McDaniels had the 3rd highest Net Rating on a T-Wolves team that actually wasn't terrible once they were healthy, and Bane was solidly in the rotation of a playoff Grizzlies team.)


Anyway...back to Neemie. :lol:
I was okay with the Doke pick at the time, but I hated the pick once they signed Favors with the MLE a few days later. Those moves together made no sense at all.

The last two offseasons have had some really boneheaded moves and have just been absolute messes at the margins. Sign or extend the wrong guys (Tony Bradley, Ed Davis), then give up picks to get off those guys the next offseason, then use our two biggest offseason assets to add Doke and Favors, then give up a pick for Matt Thomas (who?) when Torrey Craig was there for free.
I liked the Doke pick and still do, even though everyone else hates it. The draft outside of a few picks every year is about taking a gamble, - like the Jazz did with Rudy. Doke seemed like a project pick with the idea that the could be used 3 years out but with some real potential. I still hope it works but who knows. And finding someone in that draft range that was a contributing wing this year was unlikely.
Except that there was at least one very good wing (Bane) on the board that contributed to playoff teams this year. Even without the aid of hindsight, I think that is who they should have drafted there. I remember thinking that on draft night. Azubuike was a reach. If they really liked him they probably could have gotten him with the second round pick they used on Elijah Hughes.
These users thanked the author Mr. Sneelock for the post:
3rdGenAggie


Formerly TulsAGGIE

User avatar
treesap32
Moderator
Posts: 15171
Joined: July 28th, 2005, 1:00 am
Location: Washington D.C.
Has thanked: 344 times
Been thanked: 798 times
Contact:

Re: Queta

Post by treesap32 » July 9th, 2021, 12:57 pm

The Jazz haven't drafted a real contributing player since Mitchell. Closest one would be Miye Oni, and he gets token minutes here and there.

I think Doke has potential but haven't seen enough to know if he'll capitalize on it or not.

Jazz have done well in signing undrafted free agents. Joe Ingles & Royce O'Neale come to mind. I also like Trent Forrest. I think he has some potential.



User avatar
Real Life Aggie
Posts: 3005
Joined: April 10th, 2019, 4:28 pm
Location: North Ogden, UT
Has thanked: 2920 times
Been thanked: 1023 times

Re: Queta

Post by Real Life Aggie » July 9th, 2021, 1:26 pm

Not to bring this thread back to the original topic, but check this out:
These users thanked the author Real Life Aggie for the post (total 2):
Bank Shot3rdGenAggie



User avatar
3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff
Posts: 8560
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 11:53 pm
Location: The City of the Salty Lake
Has thanked: 1455 times
Been thanked: 611 times

Re: Queta

Post by 3rdGenAggie » July 9th, 2021, 3:02 pm

gomretat wrote:
July 9th, 2021, 12:03 pm
ineptimusprime wrote:
July 8th, 2021, 11:29 pm
3rdGenAggie wrote:
July 7th, 2021, 3:22 pm
The Favors signing made some sense, in a way, but it was probably too reactionary. The Jazz blew the series lead against the Nuggets entirely in the minutes Gobert wasn't on the floor. I think the sting from that was real and they grabbed Favors because he loves Utah, Utah loves him and he can provide some rim defense for the bench. (He was fine in the regular season, struggled in the playoffs.)

Doke was a picked for the same reason. To provide 48 minutes of a big, athletic defender in the paint. I personally hated the pick then and hate the pick now. I don't hate that they picked Doke, I hate that they took him in the first round. If he was their guy, he would have been available in the early 2nd round. The Jazz went into the draft with 23 and traded with the Knicks to get 27 and 38. They traded 38 to dump Bradley, and then moved back into 39 for a future 2nd to get Elijah Hughes.

They out-smarted themselves entirely. Stay at 27 and 38, pick Desmond Bane or Jalen McDaniels then grab Doke at 38. If you're afraid he's going to be gone by then, trade 38 and cash to move up a few spots...those moves are always available. They got 39 for a future second and cash.

(FWIW: As rookies, McDaniels had the 3rd highest Net Rating on a T-Wolves team that actually wasn't terrible once they were healthy, and Bane was solidly in the rotation of a playoff Grizzlies team.)


Anyway...back to Neemie. :lol:
I was okay with the Doke pick at the time, but I hated the pick once they signed Favors with the MLE a few days later. Those moves together made no sense at all.

The last two offseasons have had some really boneheaded moves and have just been absolute messes at the margins. Sign or extend the wrong guys (Tony Bradley, Ed Davis), then give up picks to get off those guys the next offseason, then use our two biggest offseason assets to add Doke and Favors, then give up a pick for Matt Thomas (who?) when Torrey Craig was there for free.
I liked the Doke pick and still do, even though everyone else hates it. The draft outside of a few picks every year is about taking a gamble, - like the Jazz did with Rudy. Doke seemed like a project pick with the idea that the could be used 3 years out but with some real potential. I still hope it works but who knows. And finding someone in that draft range that was a contributing wing this year was unlikely.
Generally, I agree. But Desmond Bane was one of the highest floor guys in the draft, even if his ceiling wasn't as high as most other picks. It was always pretty much a sure thing he would stick in the NBA. As a capped out contender the Jazz don't necessarily need high ceiling, but someone who can give some quality bench minutes. Bane fell in the draft because he has short arms (6-5 with a 6-4 wingspan), but there was no doubt he could play good enough defense and shoot lights out.


"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

User avatar
3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff
Posts: 8560
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 11:53 pm
Location: The City of the Salty Lake
Has thanked: 1455 times
Been thanked: 611 times

Re: Queta

Post by 3rdGenAggie » July 9th, 2021, 3:05 pm

treesap32 wrote:
July 9th, 2021, 12:57 pm
The Jazz haven't drafted a real contributing player since Mitchell. Closest one would be Miye Oni, and he gets token minutes here and there.

I think Doke has potential but haven't seen enough to know if he'll capitalize on it or not.

Jazz have done well in signing undrafted free agents. Joe Ingles & Royce O'Neale come to mind. I also like Trent Forrest. I think he has some potential.
I honestly wonder if this fact and the Doke pick with Bane on the board are part of the reason Dennis Lindsay is moving to an advisory role. (Maybe it was his choice, but the rumblings are that it wasn't.)

Also, the Grayson Allen pick was good...he's an NBA contributer and helped get Mike Conley (although the rumors are the Jazz could have gotten Conley for Rubio, Favs (I think) and picks at the deadline the previous year...if that's true that would have been a much better trade. They weren't re-signing Rubio and moved Favors that offseason anyway.).


"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

OrangeCountyAggie
Posts: 891
Joined: December 17th, 2018, 12:46 pm
Has thanked: 205 times
Been thanked: 322 times

Re: Queta

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » July 9th, 2021, 5:09 pm

From CBS Sports:

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/nba- ... ba-career/

Queta is likely destined to be the No. 5 offensive option when he's on the court in an NBA game, which is why he has little chance of being picked in the first round. (He attempted seven 3-pointers in three seasons.) But his overall impact -- catalyzed by his pinpoint physicality, hound-like nose for rebounds and elite timing for shot-blocking -- vault him into my top 30. Queta may well also be docked for playing in the Mountain West, though his statistics show that he was a better player against better competition. If you're a team picking in the late 20s, you're a championship contender. If you don't need shooting, youthful size is always a bonus. Queta would be a constructive addition. I think he'll earn a second contract in 2025.

I still say he goes in the first.



User avatar
treesap32
Moderator
Posts: 15171
Joined: July 28th, 2005, 1:00 am
Location: Washington D.C.
Has thanked: 344 times
Been thanked: 798 times
Contact:

Re: Queta

Post by treesap32 » July 9th, 2021, 11:18 pm

3rdGenAggie wrote:
July 9th, 2021, 3:05 pm
treesap32 wrote:
July 9th, 2021, 12:57 pm
The Jazz haven't drafted a real contributing player since Mitchell. Closest one would be Miye Oni, and he gets token minutes here and there.

I think Doke has potential but haven't seen enough to know if he'll capitalize on it or not.

Jazz have done well in signing undrafted free agents. Joe Ingles & Royce O'Neale come to mind. I also like Trent Forrest. I think he has some potential.
I honestly wonder if this fact and the Doke pick with Bane on the board are part of the reason Dennis Lindsay is moving to an advisory role. (Maybe it was his choice, but the rumblings are that it wasn't.)

Also, the Grayson Allen pick was good...he's an NBA contributer and helped get Mike Conley (although the rumors are the Jazz could have gotten Conley for Rubio, Favs (I think) and picks at the deadline the previous year...if that's true that would have been a much better trade. They weren't re-signing Rubio and moved Favors that offseason anyway.).
Good point. I hadn't considered Allen. But I will add that Grayson Allen has GROWN into being a real contributor. In his only season on the Jazz he only played in 38 games, averaged 10 minutes per game (when he actually saw the court), shot 37% from the field and 32% from 3. Not much to write home about. Similar to what we've had from Miye Oni over his first two seasons but Miye can play defense and shot the 3 better than Grayson did.

Grayson has done much better since being traded to Memphis. Do we credit the Jazz for drafting someone that played at a mediocre level in less than half the games as a rookie and then trading him to a new environment where he excels? I guess if you argue that we couldn't have gotten Conley without him... Conley has been an important piece. Same could be said for the lazy cancer Trey Lyles that helped us get Donovan Mitchell.
These users thanked the author treesap32 for the post:
3rdGenAggie



User avatar
ThunderAggie
Posts: 1441
Joined: November 20th, 2017, 7:52 pm
Location: Logan
Has thanked: 387 times
Been thanked: 486 times

Re: Queta

Post by ThunderAggie » July 10th, 2021, 2:42 pm

In the latest CBS mock draft, Queta is projected to go to the Suns with the 29th pick! That would be cool if we had 2 Aggies on the 2 finals teams!

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbsspo ... areer/amp/



User avatar
ineptimusprime
Posts: 4364
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 12:07 pm
Has thanked: 175 times
Been thanked: 1667 times

Re: Queta

Post by ineptimusprime » July 10th, 2021, 3:20 pm

My favorite spot for Neemi that I’ve seen him
mocked is second round to Memphis. I’d love him with that young core.



User avatar
3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff
Posts: 8560
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 11:53 pm
Location: The City of the Salty Lake
Has thanked: 1455 times
Been thanked: 611 times

Re: Queta

Post by 3rdGenAggie » July 10th, 2021, 3:23 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:
July 10th, 2021, 3:20 pm
My favorite spot for Neemi that I’ve seen him
mocked is second round to Memphis. I’d love him with that young core.
Having Ja Morant to throw lobs would be a big positive for him.


"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic