Queta to NBA Combine

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
sancho839

Queta to NBA Combine

Post by sancho839 » June 15th, 2021, 3:15 pm

Congrats to our guy on getting invited to the NBA Combine!

These users thanked the author sancho839 for the post (total 6):
NewUSUfan3rdGenAggieaggies22AggieArmycdaAgflying_scotsman2.0

AGGIEinIOWA

Re: Queta to NBA Combine

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » June 16th, 2021, 8:25 am

Looks like he's the only MWC player on the list. I don't pay much attention to draft projections. Are any other MWC players projected to get drafted, such as Derrick Alston, Orlando Robinson, or Matt Mitchell?

Olderthandirt

Post by Olderthandirt » June 16th, 2021, 10:58 am

I thought Alston was a lock to be drafted. Three and D guy.
These users thanked the author Olderthandirt for the post:
MrBiggle

Bank Shot

Post by Bank Shot » June 16th, 2021, 12:35 pm

Looking at the latest mocks, it appears Queta is the only one that has a shot at getting drafted and that's not a lock. Alston and Mitchell are mentioned as being a ways off the bubble. Having said that, it only takes one team to reach for them to go. I'm not going to be real shocked if the MW has no one drafted. Hope I'm wrong about Queta.

Aggie19

Post by Aggie19 » June 16th, 2021, 9:53 pm

Excited for Queta and hope that he does get drafted, for him and for the program.

I think Mitchell was a great college player and will get a chance to play overseas, but he's a 6'6" power forward, I'd be shocked if he gets anywhere near being drafted.

Go Aggies!

trevordude
Pick'em Champ - '22 FB Predict The Score

Post by trevordude » June 17th, 2021, 8:06 am

Has anyone watched Kevin Huerter play? He reminds me of Sam sometimes

Not sent from Tapatalk

AgMan21

Post by AgMan21 » June 17th, 2021, 10:38 am

I think the Jazz should take a chance on him. Rudy is good, but I think they could trade him for a better piece to a tournament team. Queta is not even close to Rudy right now, but he might be even better down the road if he can add some more muscle and develop a shot. He's already a better ball handler than Rudy (but that's not saying much).

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » June 17th, 2021, 11:02 am

AgMan21 wrote:
June 17th, 2021, 10:38 am
I think the Jazz should take a chance on him. Rudy is good, but I think they could trade him for a better piece to a tournament team. Queta is not even close to Rudy right now, but he might be even better down the road if he can add some more muscle and develop a shot. He's already a better ball handler than Rudy (but that's not saying much).
Couldn't be any worse than Udoka Azubuike.
These users thanked the author Aggie formerly in Hawaii for the post (total 2):
AgMan213rdGenAggie

MarioWest

Post by MarioWest » June 19th, 2021, 9:57 am

trevordude wrote:
June 17th, 2021, 8:06 am
Has anyone watched Kevin Huerter play? He reminds me of Sam sometimes
Definitely some similarities to their games—when Huerter plays aggressively, he’s like a 6’7” Sam Merrill. Truly a devastating offensive player.

Unfortunately, Huerter is frustratingly inconsistent in both his decisiveness and physicality. Give him Sam’s killer instinct and he might be an all-star.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » June 19th, 2021, 5:50 pm

Jazz nation will rightfully have a stroke if another rim protecting 5 is added to the roster via the draft

Zero chance the Jazz draft Queta.

Dkdavis

Post by Dkdavis » June 19th, 2021, 7:50 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:
June 19th, 2021, 5:50 pm
Jazz nation will rightfully have a stroke if another rim protecting 5 is added to the roster via the draft

Zero chance the Jazz draft Queta.
Kinda like Packer nation when they got Love.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » June 19th, 2021, 8:11 pm

If I am an NBA GM, I probably wouldn't use a pick on Queta unless I was in desperate need of rim protection. If he goes, it'll likely be a late second round pick just like Sam. He'll definitely get a summer league deal.

I do hope he gets drafted for his sake, and to improve the reputation of our program.

OrangeCountyAggie

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » June 21st, 2021, 1:43 am

ineptimusprime wrote:
June 19th, 2021, 8:11 pm
If I am an NBA GM, I probably wouldn't use a pick on Queta unless I was in desperate need of rim protection. If he goes, it'll likely be a late second round pick just like Sam. He'll definitely get a summer league deal.

I do hope he gets drafted for his sake, and to improve the reputation of our program.
He left early for a reason. Late first round.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » June 21st, 2021, 7:46 am

OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
June 21st, 2021, 1:43 am
ineptimusprime wrote:

The only way this is even a remote possibility is if he kills it at the combine this week. I wish you were right!

Bank Shot

Post by Bank Shot » June 21st, 2021, 8:49 am

OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
ineptimusprime wrote:

IMO the reason he left early is that his pro stock is about maxed out and the risk of injury from another year in college would be financially huge. Right now, Q stands to make good coin either by getting drafted and getting contract similar to Sam's or going overseas. The combine might improve his stock and no doubt he will at the least get some exposure in the summer leagues. By then, he will know what his best options are.
These users thanked the author Bank Shot for the post:
ineptimusprime

AgMan21

Post by AgMan21 » June 21st, 2021, 11:14 am

If he develops a jump shot and can showcase it to teams, then he will be drafted in the first round.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » June 21st, 2021, 12:07 pm

Bank Shot wrote:
June 21st, 2021, 8:49 am
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
ineptimusprime wrote:

IMO the reason he left early is that his pro stock is about maxed out and the risk of injury from another year in college would be financially huge. Right now, Q stands to make good coin either by getting drafted and getting contract similar to Sam's or going overseas. The combine might improve his stock and no doubt he will at the least get some exposure in the summer leagues. By then, he will know what his best options are.
It was the right move for him to leave no matter how it shakes out. He had nothing to gain from staying at USU. He is clearly good enough to have a professional career whether or not that’s in the NBA.

I do think his athletic measurables will be disappointing like they were his first year at the Combine, and that he will go late second round or undrafted. I hope he surprises me!

Winning Team

Post by Winning Team » June 21st, 2021, 1:58 pm

Is there any way to watch this???

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » June 21st, 2021, 5:42 pm

Winning Team wrote:
June 21st, 2021, 1:58 pm
Is there any way to watch this???
I'll bet it's on NBA TV.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post:
Real Life Aggie

MarioWest

Post by MarioWest » June 22nd, 2021, 5:43 am

ineptimusprime wrote:
June 21st, 2021, 7:46 am
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
ineptimusprime wrote:

The only way this is even a remote possibility is if he kills it at the combine this week. I wish you were right!
Queta will need a good combine of course, but late first is more than “a remote possibility.” Tankathon has him at 36 now and he was at 27 until a couple days ago.

It’s more likely that he’ll go mid to late second or even undrafted, but his upside is high enough that late first or early second is realistic.

BRuss804

Post by BRuss804 » June 22nd, 2021, 9:21 am

John Hollinger has Queta as one of three guys he's higher on than the general consensus. Here's what he had to say in his article in The Athletic today:

22. Neemias Queta, C, Utah State, Junior

My membership in the Neemias Queta fan club is already well established, so I won’t go too deep down the rabbit hole this time. Suffice to say that despite my general misgivings about drafting centers, I think the 7-foot Queta can offer a lot of value and some relative upside.

Queta still has to get better defending away from the basket, and that’s a concern for any big man in today’s NBA. The Aggies always played him in a deep drop, so he didn’t get many chances to show perimeter quickness, but his rare forays away from the charge circle weren’t tragic. He’s a little slow laterally but not as bad as some other fives getting more draft hype, plus he showed a real ability to close down space and block shots from behind at the basket.

Offensively, Queta added something to his game every year at Utah State, and by the end, he was a legitimately good passer who also had a variety of one-on-one moves to score on the block. Utah State’s plodding pace masked just how effective he was: Queta averaged 30 points and six assists per 100 possessions in Mountain West play. For comparison, Cade Cunningham averaged 31 and five.

This train is still going up. Queta arrived at Utah State as a raw freshman from Portugal and has added bits and pieces to his game since. His skill level can still go forward from here, but he’ll always be 7 feet tall.
These users thanked the author BRuss804 for the post (total 7):
aggies95ineptimusprimeReal Life AggieUSU78NVAggieaggieguy13AggieArmy

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » June 22nd, 2021, 9:36 am

MarioWest wrote:
June 22nd, 2021, 5:43 am
ineptimusprime wrote:
June 21st, 2021, 7:46 am
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
ineptimusprime wrote:

Queta will need a good combine of course, but late first is more than “a remote possibility.” Tankathon has him at 36 now and he was at 27 until a couple days ago.

It’s more likely that he’ll go mid to late second or even undrafted, but his upside is high enough that late first or early second is realistic.
He definitely could go first round if he has a killer combine, which I hope he does!

I would still call it a remote possibility and would be surprised. It’s so hard for a team not named the Utah Jazz to justify using a first round pick on a true, rim protecting 5, and the Utah Jazz already have way too much money committed to the 5 spot.

gomretat

Post by gomretat » June 22nd, 2021, 9:52 am

BRuss804 wrote:
June 22nd, 2021, 9:21 am
John Hollinger has Queta as one of three guys he's higher on than the general consensus. Here's what he had to say in his article in The Athletic today:

22. Neemias Queta, C, Utah State, Junior

My membership in the Neemias Queta fan club is already well established, so I won’t go too deep down the rabbit hole this time. Suffice to say that despite my general misgivings about drafting centers, I think the 7-foot Queta can offer a lot of value and some relative upside.

Queta still has to get better defending away from the basket, and that’s a concern for any big man in today’s NBA. The Aggies always played him in a deep drop, so he didn’t get many chances to show perimeter quickness, but his rare forays away from the charge circle weren’t tragic. He’s a little slow laterally but not as bad as some other fives getting more draft hype, plus he showed a real ability to close down space and block shots from behind at the basket.

Offensively, Queta added something to his game every year at Utah State, and by the end, he was a legitimately good passer who also had a variety of one-on-one moves to score on the block. Utah State’s plodding pace masked just how effective he was: Queta averaged 30 points and six assists per 100 possessions in Mountain West play. For comparison, Cade Cunningham averaged 31 and five.

This train is still going up. Queta arrived at Utah State as a raw freshman from Portugal and has added bits and pieces to his game since. His skill level can still go forward from here, but he’ll always be 7 feet tall.
Thanks for sharing. Interesting take given that Hollinger is the most supportive national guy on Rudy Gobert.

aggies95

Post by aggies95 » June 22nd, 2021, 11:51 am

I'm not a draft expert but this appears positive. Read the whole thread, not just this tweet. If you compare his metrics to other C's, he measures well.

Combine Physical Metrics

https://www.nba.com/stats/draft/combine ... ION&dir=-1
These users thanked the author aggies95 for the post (total 2):
Real Life AggieAggieArmy

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » June 22nd, 2021, 12:13 pm

Tallest and longest. I’m interested in the other athleticism and agility measureables. That’s where he performed somewhat poorly last time he was at the combine.
These users thanked the author ineptimusprime for the post:
Real Life Aggie

pcaggie

Post by pcaggie » June 22nd, 2021, 1:23 pm

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » June 22nd, 2021, 8:13 pm

These users thanked the author ineptimusprime for the post (total 7):
Aggie19Real Life Aggie3rdGenAggieAggieArmyCastIronAggieMrBiggleBLUERUFiO

Winning Team

Post by Winning Team » June 22nd, 2021, 8:20 pm

He is looking so good. Such a special player! We were lucky to have him here!!! His shooting/ball handling/overall coordination looks great.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » June 22nd, 2021, 9:47 pm

Sounds like had a really good first day. So happy for him. I hope to see him drafted.

3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff

Post by 3rdGenAggie » June 22nd, 2021, 9:58 pm

If the Jazz were going to spend a first round pick on a big man flyer, I wish they had waited until this year and taken Neemie.
These users thanked the author 3rdGenAggie for the post:
ineptimusprime

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

Aggie in Boise

Post by Aggie in Boise » June 22nd, 2021, 10:52 pm

Olderthandirt wrote:
June 16th, 2021, 10:58 am
I thought Alston was a lock to be drafted. Three and D guy.
Who?

"We've upped our standards, so UP YOURS." Unknown

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » June 23rd, 2021, 12:13 am

3rdGenAggie wrote:
June 22nd, 2021, 9:58 pm
If the Jazz were going to spend a first round pick on a big man flyer, I wish they had waited until this year and taken Neemie.
Especially because that would mean the Jazz would have drafted Desmond Bane or Jaden McDaniels last year.
3rdGenAggie

OrangeCountyAggie

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » June 23rd, 2021, 2:45 am

ineptimusprime wrote:
June 23rd, 2021, 12:13 am
3rdGenAggie wrote:
Especially because that would mean the Jazz would have drafted Desmond Bane or Jaden McDaniels last year.
:golfclap:

918AGG

Post by 918AGG » June 23rd, 2021, 4:35 pm

OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
June 23rd, 2021, 2:45 am
ineptimusprime wrote:
June 23rd, 2021, 12:13 am
3rdGenAggie wrote:
:golfclap:
Neither of those particularly tickle my fancy. Bane, maybe, I guess. The 2020 draft, especially at 27+, is pretty slim pickins.

Live every week like it’s Shark Week! :thumbsup:

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » June 23rd, 2021, 11:20 pm

https://www.nba.com/stats/draft/combine ... h-agility/

Neemi improved his standing vertical by 3 inches from his 2019 numbers. You can compare his performance then and now using the drop-down menu on the above link.

He was criticized as being too thin and not athletic enough at the 2019 combine. Seems he has improved pretty much everywhere. Hoping to see another Aggie taken on draft night!
bluegrouse

Locked Previous topicNext topic