Interview with Coach Odom

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
IdaAg93

Post by IdaAg93 » June 11th, 2021, 8:42 pm

This is the beginning of hearing his voice connected to Aggie Hoops, over and over again. Gonna be fun ride.
https://www.podcastics.com/podcast/epis ... dom-80176/
Hopefully it plays for you all. Good content about the new players.
These users thanked the author IdaAg93 for the post (total 4):
Aggie19flying_scotsman2.0AggieArmyWinkie

MalAgua

Re: Interview with Coach Odum

Post by MalAgua » June 12th, 2021, 9:37 pm

IdaAg93 wrote:
June 11th, 2021, 8:42 pm
This is the beginning of hearing his voice connected to Aggie Hoops, over and over again. Gonna be fun ride.
Is no one else going to say it…?
These users thanked the author MalAgua for the post:
Real Life Aggie

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » June 12th, 2021, 9:40 pm

MalAgua wrote:
June 12th, 2021, 9:37 pm
IdaAg93 wrote:
Why don't you go ahead and point it out. I know it's killing you to stay silent.

"o"
These users thanked the author Yossarian for the post:
Real Life Aggie

Eutaw St. Aggie

Real Life Aggie

Post by Real Life Aggie » June 13th, 2021, 1:00 am

Yossarian wrote:
June 12th, 2021, 9:40 pm
MalAgua wrote:
June 12th, 2021, 9:37 pm
IdaAg93 wrote:
Why don't you go ahead and point it out. I know it's killing you to stay silent.

"o"
I had it typed up, but didn't have anything better to say than just "Odom*", and I didn't want to be that guy anymore than I already am.

SectionBAggie

Re: Interview with Coach Odom

Post by SectionBAggie » June 13th, 2021, 8:44 pm

I enjoyed the interview.
I keep thinking that having grown up in a coaching family with a father who was very successful in the ACC (240 wins in 12 years) is bound to be beneficial. Dave Odom was a three-time coach of the year in the ACC when it was a smaller league with Mike Krzyzewski and Dean Smith also in the conference. And the first time pre-dated Tim Duncan.
I don't mean to imply that a coach can't be successful if his dad wasn't a coach, but if a player that is the son of a coach is considered a plus (see JC Carroll or Rylan Jones) then being the son of an acclaimed coach should be considered a plus as well in the case of a coach.

AGGIEinIOWA

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » June 14th, 2021, 7:02 am

SectionBAggie wrote:I enjoyed the interview.
I keep thinking that having grown up in a coaching family with a father who was very successful in the ACC (240 wins in 12 years) is bound to be beneficial. Dave Odom was a three-time coach of the year in the ACC when it was a smaller league with Mike Krzyzewski and Dean Smith also in the conference. And the first time pre-dated Tim Duncan.
I don't mean to imply that a coach can't be successful if his dad wasn't a coach, but if a player that is the son of a coach is considered a plus (see JC Carroll or Rylan Jones) then being the son of an acclaimed coach should be considered a plus as well in the case of a coach.
Yeah there are some good ones out there. I do think there is some correlation. Tony Bennett, John Thompson III, Scott/Bryce Drew, Richard Petino, Scott Sutton……

browntown

Post by browntown » June 14th, 2021, 10:21 am

SectionBAggie wrote:
June 13th, 2021, 8:44 pm
I enjoyed the interview.
Has anyone else felt that Coach Odom talks about his dad’s coaching experience too much? Sometimes I feel like he talks as if the fact that his dad was a successful coach ensures that he will be successful. I love hearing the stories and think his experience as the son of a coach will help him overall, but often I think he talks in a way that makes me feel like his Resume is padded by the fact that his father was a successful coach.

It might be just me that thinks this way, but wondering if anyone else has noticed this or felt this way?

Just to be clear I think he’s a great coach and will be successful here and that our team will perform at a high level; this comment was mostly about his interviews themselves.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » June 14th, 2021, 11:49 am

browntown wrote:
June 14th, 2021, 10:21 am
SectionBAggie wrote:
I enjoyed the interview.
Has anyone else felt that Coach Odom talks about his dad’s coaching experience too much? Sometimes I feel like he talks as if the fact that his dad was a successful coach ensures that he will be successful. I love hearing the stories and think his experience as the son of a coach will help him overall, but often I think he talks in a way that makes me feel like his Resume is padded by the fact that his father was a successful coach.

It might be just me that thinks this way, but wondering if anyone else has noticed this or felt this way?

Just to be clear I think he’s a great coach and will be successful here and that our team will perform at a high level; this comment was mostly about his interviews themselves.
I haven't gotten that impression at all. I also wouldn't be too concerned about it anyways because Odom has already proven himself as a D1 head coach.
These users thanked the author ineptimusprime for the post:
Real Life Aggie

nvspuds

Post by nvspuds » June 14th, 2021, 1:07 pm

I think he will do really well. Coaching is coaching..If he can get the players to Logan he can win..
These users thanked the author nvspuds for the post:
AggieFBObsession

AGGIEinIOWA

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » June 14th, 2021, 1:13 pm

I will say there is a stark contrast in interview energy levels between Coach Smith and Coach Odom. Coach Odom has more of a calming conversation voice and just speaks matter-of-factly. Coach Smith is more of an energizer interviewee but also can produce some emotional fatigue to listen to for extended periods at times. Will be interesting to see how the players adjust and respond to a new type of voice and communicator. Post game shows will certainly have a different feel.
These users thanked the author AGGIEinIOWA for the post:
IdaAg93

browntown

Post by browntown » June 14th, 2021, 1:49 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:
June 14th, 2021, 11:49 am
browntown wrote:
SectionBAggie wrote:
I enjoyed the interview.

I haven't gotten that impression at all. I also wouldn't be too concerned about it anyways because Odom has already proven himself as a D1 head coach.
Ok it’s probably just me, but totally agree with you that he’s proven himself as a D1 coach.

So far I feel very good about the hire. I really like the direction of the team since Odom was hired, seems like we’ll have a real sense of quiet confidence.

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » June 14th, 2021, 3:09 pm

AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
June 14th, 2021, 1:13 pm
I will say there is a stark contrast in interview energy levels between Coach Smith and Coach Odom. Coach Odom has more of a calming conversation voice and just speaks matter-of-factly. Coach Smith is more of an energizer interviewee but also can produce some emotional fatigue to listen to for extended periods at times. Will be interesting to see how the players adjust and respond to a new type of voice and communicator. Post game shows will certainly have a different feel.
Coach Odom actually reminds me a lot of Quin Snyder with his personality & coaching style. He seems cerebral, methodical, & detail oriented in his style.
These users thanked the author Roy McAvoy for the post:
IdaAg93

Real Life Aggie

Post by Real Life Aggie » June 14th, 2021, 3:15 pm

Roy McAvoy wrote:
June 14th, 2021, 3:09 pm
AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
Coach Odom actually reminds me a lot of Quin Snyder with his personality & coaching style. He seems cerebral, methodical, & detail oriented in his style.
Sure, but can he use his timeouts properly?

AggieFBObsession

Post by AggieFBObsession » June 14th, 2021, 4:08 pm

AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
Coach Smith definitely had the tendency to say too much which can get him in trouble when he doesn't follow through...

Blitz79

Post by Blitz79 » June 14th, 2021, 9:04 pm

browntown wrote:
June 14th, 2021, 1:49 pm
ineptimusprime wrote:
browntown wrote:
SectionBAggie wrote:
I enjoyed the interview.

Ok it’s probably just me, but totally agree with you that he’s proven himself as a D1 coach.

So far I feel very good about the hire. I really like the direction of the team since Odom was hired, seems like we’ll have a real sense of quiet confidence.
Not just you. There has been to much talk about his dad and his connection to the Jazz. That means nothing.

I'm on the wait and see camp.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » June 14th, 2021, 9:10 pm

browntown wrote:
SectionBAggie wrote:
I enjoyed the interview.

He actually mentioned in an interview that he wanted to carve his own legacy and not rely on his dad's. If you look at his resume he went to some real small Division 2 schools to coach to get going. I actually think he has carved out a good niche. He does talk a lot about his dad and how he loved being a coaches son and being around the players as a young boy, but I don't get the impression that he thinks his success was given just because he was a coaches son.

MrBiggle

Post by MrBiggle » June 14th, 2021, 9:26 pm

Did anyone catch his reference to a team having happy feet, and needing to work on fundamentals? Yeah that was USU last season. Please, please work on turnovers.
These users thanked the author MrBiggle for the post (total 2):
IdaAg93Winkie

Where only sage brush grows

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » June 14th, 2021, 11:05 pm

Blitz79 wrote:
June 14th, 2021, 9:04 pm
browntown wrote:
June 14th, 2021, 1:49 pm
ineptimusprime wrote:
browntown wrote:
SectionBAggie wrote:
I enjoyed the interview.

Not just you. There has been to much talk about his dad and his connection to the Jazz. That means nothing.

I'm on the wait and see camp.
Has there really been much talk on those things? I've seen far more talk on the great job he did at UMBC. Yeah we don't know how well he'll do here until the games are played, but he has the best resume of any Aggie basketball coach we have ever hired. I'm pretty confident with him. I actually can't believe we were able to land him to be honest. I lived not far from Maryland for a while and listened to my share of sports talk radio. He has been frequently rumored for ACC jobs since 2018.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » June 15th, 2021, 12:04 am

One thing that I found interesting was that Horvath would be initiating offense and that all players “one through four” would be initiating in his system. This suggested to me that Horvath is clearly a 4 in Odom’s mind. Bean is also clearly a 4. Which caused me to wonder — how will he use Bean and Horvath? Will they play together? Will we play two fours and no 5? Or will one of Bean or Horvath come off the bench?

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » June 15th, 2021, 7:33 am

ineptimusprime wrote:
June 15th, 2021, 12:04 am
One thing that I found interesting was that Horvath would be initiating offense and that all players “one through four” would be initiating in his system. This suggested to me that Horvath is clearly a 4 in Odom’s mind. Bean is also clearly a 4. Which caused me to wonder — how will he use Bean and Horvath? Will they play together? Will we play two fours and no 5? Or will one of Bean or Horvath come off the bench?
My own projection of a depth chart looks something like this:

G) Rylan Jones, Steven Ashworth
G) RJ Eytle-Rock, Max Shulga, Muzamil Ameer-Hamoda
G) Brock Miller, Sean Bairstow, Norbert Thilessen
F) Justin Bean, Cade Potter
C) Brandon Horvath, Trevin Dorius, Szymon Zapala

Given that we have some depth at Center and a lot of youth behind Bean with Cade Potter & Norbert Thilessen both being being more hybrid players than big men--I think Horvath will start alongside Bean but then will also be Bean's backup. Dorius & Zapala will then get minutes at Center with Horvath not taking up all his minutes alongside Bean.

AGGIEinIOWA

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » June 15th, 2021, 11:07 am

Roy McAvoy wrote:
June 15th, 2021, 7:33 am
ineptimusprime wrote:

Given that we have some depth at Center and a lot of youth behind Bean with Cade Potter & Norbert Thilessen both being being more hybrid players than big men--I think Horvath will start alongside Bean but then will also be Bean's backup. Dorius & Zapala will then get minutes at Center with Horvath not taking up all his minutes alongside Bean.
This is how I see things shaking out as well. Bean and Horvath are too valuable to have one sit. They are both 25-30+ minute players with maybe 15-20 of those coming with them on the floor together most nights. Horvath is probably the better shooter and may be on the perimeter more than Bean despite being listed as the Center. With Bean being the better slasher/cutter and offensive rebounder, he may be down around the basket more. Those two should really be able to stress a defense. Only concern is on the defensive end if the opponent has someone like an Orlando Robinson. Luckily there aren't many teams in our conference with big dominating centers and we can throw Dorius out there to bang if needed.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » June 15th, 2021, 12:25 pm

AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
June 15th, 2021, 11:07 am
Roy McAvoy wrote:
June 15th, 2021, 7:33 am
ineptimusprime wrote:

This is how I see things shaking out as well. Bean and Horvath are too valuable to have one sit. They are both 25-30+ minute players with maybe 15-20 of those coming with them on the floor together most nights. Horvath is probably the better shooter and may be on the perimeter more than Bean despite being listed as the Center. With Bean being the better slasher/cutter and offensive rebounder, he may be down around the basket more. Those two should really be able to stress a defense. Only concern is on the defensive end if the opponent has someone like an Orlando Robinson. Luckily there aren't many teams in our conference with big dominating centers and we can throw Dorius out there to bang if needed.
I hope we see enough of a leap from Zapala that he passes Dorius on the depth chart. Nothing against Dorius -- he is a useful player -- but I don't like the idea of him being our best true 5 on the roster.

Bank Shot

Post by Bank Shot » June 15th, 2021, 12:35 pm

Another big to be concerned about is Ike from Wyoming. That kid is going to be something special.

aggies95

Post by aggies95 » June 15th, 2021, 1:21 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:
"Odom also said he held off on bringing in Horvath until he has a chance to watch Justin Bean play in person.
'Justin is skilled,' Odom declared. 'Like he is way more skilled than I was anticipating. Obviously he’s known as a guy who plays with a high motor and rebounds and just outworks the opponent. And he can put the ball on the deck and finish around the rim and shoot from mid-range.'"

https://www.deseret.com/2021/5/17/22429 ... ding-trust

That quote is from this article. It's pretty clear here that he wouldn't have brought in Horvath if he didn't think they could play together, whether it's at the 4/5 or 3/4. We will have good positional versatility this year. Lots of different lineup possibilities.

Winkie

Post by Winkie » June 15th, 2021, 9:17 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:
....in an earlier interview he said he did not want to invite Horvath out here until he had a chance to come out and check out his team first, "because I wanted to make sure I could have Bean and Horvath out on the floor together". Once satisfied he could play them in some complementary role with each other, he reached out to Horvath. So, we'll see them in some kind of scheme supporting one another....and I'm taking him at his word until I see differently.

Winkie

Post by Winkie » June 15th, 2021, 9:32 pm

One thing to consider from the comments above is to realize we on this Fan Board listen to EVERY SINGLE ONE of the interviews (because we are diehard Aggie supporters, or maybe have no life). But, to EACH interviewer, he/she regards that particular interview as his unique chance to "chop it up" with the coach and introduce him to his/her listeners, or audience. So, each one of them takes the moment to review his resume, history, and each will note how he came up through the ranks and bring up the fact he is a "son of a coach". This is appropriate for the first-time listener in the media audience.

He is not "padding his resume'" or putting too much emphasis on the fact. He is just acknowledging it in the context of each interview and the questions he is getting asked each time. It is only to us....listening to EVERY interview....that it seems like he's always bringing it up and making such a big deal about it because we are subject to the repetition. Or, rather, we subject ourselves to repetition. I don't see it as a big deal and cut him plenty of slack on the matter. It's noted graciously each time he's asked, counted as a positive, and he moves on to other subjects easily.
These users thanked the author Winkie for the post (total 3):
stewusu98Bank Shotbluegrouse

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » June 16th, 2021, 3:03 pm

Bank Shot wrote:
June 15th, 2021, 12:35 pm
Another big to be concerned about is Ike from Wyoming. That kid is going to be something special.
Agreed. With other Wyoming departures to the portal, I am a little surprised that they have been able to keep him in the stable. I think he would have some options, if he was looking.

Eutaw St. Aggie

Locked Previous topicNext topic