Greatest Player of the Past 20 years?

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.

Who is the greatest Aggie basketball player of the past 20 years?

Poll ended at May 19th, 2021, 12:47 pm

Jaycee Carroll
20%
Sam Merrill
77%
Anyone else
3%

Total votes: 104

USU
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Greatest Player of the Past 20 years?

Post by USU » May 14th, 2021, 9:46 am

NVAggie wrote:
May 12th, 2021, 1:48 pm
USU wrote:
May 12th, 2021, 1:46 pm
I was thinking USU only.
There you go again, always thinking about yourself.
Even though my name contains two U's, I tend to focus on ME.

mcaggie1

Post by mcaggie1 » May 14th, 2021, 11:52 am

gomretat wrote:
May 14th, 2021, 9:16 am
Winkie wrote:
May 13th, 2021, 2:55 pm
mcaggie1 wrote:
May 12th, 2021, 2:08 pm
USU wrote:
May 12th, 2021, 1:46 pm
I was thinking USU only.
No. You were thinking USU, but only the very recent ones. Me and the rest of the older crowd thinks it is great that you have your moments to honor the athletes you have grown up on in these past very few years.
Us old guys are very lucky to have seen the players you have seen, but have seen 50 to 60 years more of the truly greats who make up the real foundation of Aggie basketball, long before most of you were born.
Keep us old guys in mind once in awhile. We are glad to see so many AGGIES out there carrying the torch.
PS. I voted for Merrill.
Yeah! Which is why I was looking to vote for Marv Roberts, team that made it to the NCAA Elite Eight, I believe.

As for the three candidates, I will go with Sam...for "off court" reasons, as well. Jaycee played for Stew, during period of fairly calm waters for the program. Sam played through turbulence & transition in the program and came through admirably.
Agreed on Marv Roberts. And to be fair I also think Greg Grant needs to be in the conversation. Sam was great but he also has the benefit of a recency effect.
Roberts and Grant are two sure choices. Estes and Halimon are my 1 and 2 though. As for this exercise, I voted for Merrill ( but deep down I feel Queta is the one.

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » May 14th, 2021, 12:51 pm

Wayne
Shaler
Marv
Nate
Cornell

My top five all-time, in order as I see it, but it's definitely arguable who should be where in that list.

Last twenty:

Sam
Neemie
Jaycee
Nate
Spence
These users thanked the author USU78 for the post (total 4):
mcaggie1cvalWinkieutaggies

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

mcaggie1

Post by mcaggie1 » May 14th, 2021, 1:20 pm

USU78 wrote:
May 14th, 2021, 12:51 pm
Wayne
Shaler
Marv
Nate
Cornell

My top five all-time, in order as I see it, but it's definitely arguable who should be where in that list.

Last twenty:

Sam
Neemie
Jaycee
Nate
Spence
Cornell Green vs. Nate Williams. Now that is a tough decision. I think I would take Nate Williams (without his sprained ankle)
over Cornell by 1,000th of a whisker.

As for the newbies........I give Tai Wesley a close nod over Nate Harris.
These users thanked the author mcaggie1 for the post (total 2):
USU78Winkie

AggiesForever
Pick'em Champ - '15 Kickoff

Post by AggiesForever » May 16th, 2021, 10:57 am

Ive seen everybody play since 1965 and think Shaler Halimon was better than all of them. Had he played here all three years (Juco transfer), there no doubt in my mind he would lead in every offensive category. He was THAT good. Different than Estes. Estes was a plodder. Halimon was a gazelle. But Super Shay could do it all. The one chink in his armor is that as good as Estes and Halimon were, LaDell Andersen still said Nate Williams was the best athlete he ever coached.

Past 20 years, I would probably go with Merrill on this basis— as good a scorer as Carroll was, Merrill could score but made everybody around him better with his passing and leadership. That would be the separator in my mind.
These users thanked the author AggiesForever for the post (total 4):
USU78Real Life AggieutaggiesAggieFBObsession

NavyBlueAggie

Post by NavyBlueAggie » May 17th, 2021, 4:41 pm

AggiesForever wrote:
May 16th, 2021, 10:57 am
Ive seen everybody play since 1965 and think Shaler Halimon was better than all of them. Had he played here all three years (Juco transfer), there no doubt in my mind he would lead in every offensive category. He was THAT good. Different than Estes. Estes was a plodder. Halimon was a gazelle. But Super Shay could do it all. The one chink in his armor is that as good as Estes and Halimon were, LaDell Andersen still said Nate Williams was the best athlete he ever coached.

Past 20 years, I would probably go with Merrill on this basis— as good a scorer as Carroll was, Merrill could score but made everybody around him better with his passing and leadership. That would be the separator in my mind.

Wayne Estes was the all time best in my opinion.
Saw Wayne play long with LeRoy Walker as they carried an average AGGIE team through much of that troubled season. Having said that Shaler Halimon was a treat to watch on the court, and yes, one more season and the AGGIE record books would have looked different. A F and I see things much the same way though.

gomretat

Post by gomretat » May 17th, 2021, 5:53 pm

mcaggie1 wrote:
May 14th, 2021, 1:20 pm
USU78 wrote:
May 14th, 2021, 12:51 pm
Wayne
Shaler
Marv
Nate
Cornell

Last twenty:

Sam
Neemie
Jaycee
Nate
Spence
Cornell Green vs. Nate Williams. Now that is a tough decision. I think I would take Nate Williams (without his sprained ankle)
over Cornell by 1,000th of a whisker.

As for the newbies........I give Tai Wesley a close nod over Nate Harris.
Agreed on both. Nate over Cornell. I am even conflicted by Nate versus Marv. And I would definitely go with Tai over Nate Harris.

USU78

Post by USU78 » May 17th, 2021, 6:16 pm

In a fistfight, I'd pick Nate over just about anybody.
These users thanked the author USU78 for the post:
NavyBlueAggie

mcaggie1

Post by mcaggie1 » May 25th, 2021, 2:19 pm

USU78 wrote:
May 17th, 2021, 6:16 pm
You must have been there at the Spectrum to witness the brawl with New Mexico State. Nate Williams scared the big , and I mean big NMSU player , causing him to run away up the ramp to the visitor s dressing room. That happened about the time me and a bunch of the student body tried to rush the court. Wild times.
These users thanked the author mcaggie1 for the post:
USU78

USU78

Post by USU78 » May 25th, 2021, 2:53 pm

mcaggie1 wrote:
May 25th, 2021, 2:19 pm
USU78 wrote:
You must have been there at the Spectrum to witness the brawl with New Mexico State. Nate Williams scared the big , and I mean big NMSU player , causing him to run away up the ramp to the visitor s dressing room. That happened about the time me and a bunch of the student body tried to rush the court. Wild times.
The bad blood between the two schools goes back to that event, IMNSHO. Losing the Sun Bowl to the NewMags is too banal a beginning. The dirty sh!te the NewMags did in Logan that day more than justified Nater going after the guy.

bluegrouse

Post by bluegrouse » May 25th, 2021, 3:01 pm

USU78 wrote:
May 25th, 2021, 2:53 pm
mcaggie1 wrote:
USU78 wrote:
The bad blood between the two schools goes back to that event, IMNSHO. Losing the Sun Bowl to the NewMags is too banal a beginning. The dirty sh!te the NewMags did in Logan that day more than justified Nater going after the guy.
I know I've mentioned this before but my parents were at that game (if I was with them, I was only 5 and don't remember).During the heat of the moment, a fight broke out in the stands near my folks. One guy took a swing at another. That guy ducked and the punch landed squarely on the wife. Just got uglier from there LOL. #SpectrumMagic
These users thanked the author bluegrouse for the post:
USU78

Real Life Aggie

Post by Real Life Aggie » May 25th, 2021, 3:08 pm

bluegrouse wrote:
May 25th, 2021, 3:01 pm
USU78 wrote:
May 25th, 2021, 2:53 pm
mcaggie1 wrote:
USU78 wrote:
I know I've mentioned this before but my parents were at that game (if I was with them, I was only 5 and don't remember).During the heat of the moment, a fight broke out in the stands near my folks. One guy took a swing at another. That guy ducked and the punch landed squarely on the wife. Just got uglier from there LOL. #SpectrumMagic
Top tier hashtag usage right there.
These users thanked the author Real Life Aggie for the post:
bluegrouse

mcaggie1

Post by mcaggie1 » May 26th, 2021, 11:09 am

I will never forget Nate Williams that night. Our point guard, Jeff Tebbs had broken his nose a week or so before the brawl. He was wearing headgear to protect his face from more injury. He had made a steal from the sleazy looking NMS point guard, and was headed down court for a layup. Just as he left his feet to make the layup, the NMS player gave a hard elbow to Tebbs back, and knocked him into the post that held the basket. Nate Williams ran down towards the NMS player with his fists clinched, and ready to throw a punch. Nate was stopped by a couple of refs, and stood there with his hands on his hips. 6’9”, 245 lb forward from NMS had started after Nate, and came up from behind at a full run. When he got to Nate, he let his fist fly at a full run and slugged Williams in the back of the head with full force.
Anyone else receiving a punch like that would have been leveled. Nate’s head moved on impact, but not much. Just 2 or 3 inches forward. Then he turned to face the guy that hit him, and the NMS brute saw that he didn’t hurt Nate at all. Nate pulled his arm back to punch the guy but the refs and some coaches held back Nate’s punch. If Nate had been loose at the time he tried to hit the guy, it wouldn’t have mattered. The NMS player that hit Nate ran as fast as he could up the ramp and into the dressing room.
Nate Williams was one tough dude.
These users thanked the author mcaggie1 for the post (total 3):
Real Life AggieUSU78cdaAg

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » May 26th, 2021, 11:53 am

Greatest player of the past 20 years... Charlie Sheen? David Spade?

Real Life Aggie

Post by Real Life Aggie » May 26th, 2021, 12:10 pm

brownjeans wrote:
May 26th, 2021, 11:53 am
#winning #tigersblood #wizard

I think we're also leaving Tiger Woods off this list. That man had a list of women, too. And unlike Charlie Sheen, it was completely unexpected.
These users thanked the author Real Life Aggie for the post (total 2):
brownjeansaggieguy13

mcaggie1

Post by mcaggie1 » June 4th, 2021, 3:55 pm

Real Life Aggie wrote:
May 26th, 2021, 12:10 pm
brownjeans wrote:
May 26th, 2021, 11:53 am
#winning #tigersblood #wizard

I think we're also leaving Tiger Woods off this list. That man had a list of women, too. And unlike Charlie Sheen, it was completely unexpected.
For a long time it was George Clooney.

coolag

Post by coolag » June 6th, 2021, 10:30 am

I'm just glad Logan and Cache Valley were much more inclusive and less racist in the 60's and 70's. It's why they were able to get these inner city ath-a-letes you are talking about. Nowadays....no chance. Hence our overwhelmingly pale roster.

:sarcasm:

Regulator of Class

Locked Previous topicNext topic