Smith hire looking like a train wreck for the U

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
slcagg

Re: Smith hire looking like a train wreck for the U

Post by slcagg » May 18th, 2021, 8:31 am

Real Life Aggie wrote:
May 18th, 2021, 7:40 am
ineptimusprime wrote:
May 18th, 2021, 6:55 am
But again, this conversation is going nowhere. No one is going to be persuaded to change their views on these issues by a random person on the internet.
What? All my posts are gold and do nothing but convince others to abandon their ideas and agree with me.
https://images.app.goo.gl/bBDAPiEeKkpxoSic8

Sorry don’t know how to add a gif.
These users thanked the author slcagg for the post:
Real Life Aggie

pilotaggie

Post by pilotaggie » May 18th, 2021, 10:16 am

bluegrouse wrote:So the coach that everyone was dancing in the streets about keeping when he didn't get the Minnesota job has magically transformed into a racist fraud over the past month. That is some sH1+ that even Cougarboard couldn't top. It's embarrassing as hell.
POTD

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

This post is likely straight up poor sarcasm and cannot be taken seriously.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » May 18th, 2021, 10:46 am

pilotaggie wrote:
May 18th, 2021, 10:16 am
bluegrouse wrote:So the coach that everyone was dancing in the streets about keeping when he didn't get the Minnesota job has magically transformed into a racist fraud over the past month. That is some sH1+ that even Cougarboard couldn't top. It's embarrassing as hell.
POTD

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
When I saw sH1+ i was thinking he was referring to some new disease or something. Cougarboard kind of qualifies though.

Oh yeah agreed on all the negative about Craig and his recruiting. Once upon a time he helped us to be top of the league for 3 years and had a very likeable team. As long as he isn't cheating that's all that matters to me.
These users thanked the author slcagg for the post (total 2):
AggiePTAggie in Boise

AggiePT

Post by AggiePT » May 18th, 2021, 11:37 am

Some posters were calling for the forum name to be changed to honor him.

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » May 18th, 2021, 11:40 am

WHO? :headscratch:

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

Usu0505

Post by Usu0505 » May 18th, 2021, 1:32 pm

AggiePT wrote:Some posters were calling for the forum name to be changed to honor him.
To be fair, and it wasn’t me, but that was after it was posted that he turned down Utah and was for sure not going there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author Usu0505 for the post:
AggiePT

Bank Shot

Post by Bank Shot » May 18th, 2021, 1:40 pm

I'm not sure who it was but I do remember there being a post about renaming the board Craig's Corner, which was shot down very quickly for good reasons.
These users thanked the author Bank Shot for the post:
AggiePT

mcaggie1

Post by mcaggie1 » May 18th, 2021, 3:59 pm

I love Aggie fans.

Bank Shot

Post by Bank Shot » May 18th, 2021, 4:11 pm

mcaggie1 wrote:
May 18th, 2021, 3:59 pm
I love Aggie fans.
Over reaction to snapshots is an art form that we have perfected. I especially love it in chat when we are down 9-2 3 minutes into the game and the "we suck", "game over", "player X shouldn't play another minute" start.
These users thanked the author Bank Shot for the post:
Real Life Aggie

mcaggie1

Post by mcaggie1 » May 18th, 2021, 4:27 pm

Bank Shot wrote:
May 18th, 2021, 4:11 pm
mcaggie1 wrote:
May 18th, 2021, 3:59 pm
I love Aggie fans.
Over reaction to snapshots is an art form that we have perfected. I especially love it in chat when we are down 9-2 3 minutes into the game and the "we suck", "game over", "player X shouldn't play another minute" start.
I love everyone on this board.

AggieHead

Post by AggieHead » May 18th, 2021, 4:42 pm

I liked Smith. He was great here, but I'm not sad that he's gone. He showed during his time here that he was not able, to recruit players that we would win in March with. Teams that win in March do it with strong guard play. Quick, athletic guards that can create their own shot. Tall, thin, slow wings might get you to the top tier of the MWC, but you aren't goin to the sweet 16 without athleticism at the guard. Call it what you want, but judging by the roster Smith didn't see it that way. I think he's a good coach, he's a great motivator, and a good X's and O's coach. It's possible to both think he's a good coach, AND not be broken up that he left.

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » May 18th, 2021, 11:51 pm

You guys acting like it's our birthright to win games in March and that coach Smith was a failure because he didn't do that are ridiculous. We've won a single game in March once in the last, what... 50 years?

Smith resurrected a program that was NEVER competitive in the MWC and brought us to the top all three years. 3 years, 3 championships (1 regular, 2 tourney) and 3 tournament bids. He brought back Spectrum Magic and excitement around the basketball team and also helped get two players drafted into the NBA for the first time in about 35 years.

You guys that are butt hurt really need to just move on and quit trying to downplay Smith. It's truly embarrassing.

Can we please move on?
These users thanked the author treesap32 for the post (total 15):
Real Life AggiebluegrouseereksonaggieBank ShotBLUERUFiOPacobagAggiefan160gomretatAggie84025GeoAg and 5 more users

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » May 19th, 2021, 7:48 am

treesap32 wrote:
May 18th, 2021, 11:51 pm
You guys acting like it's our birthright to win games in March and that coach Smith was a failure because he didn't do that are ridiculous. We've won a single game in March once in the last, what... 50 years?

Smith resurrected a program that was NEVER competitive in the MWC and brought us to the top all three years. 3 years, 3 championships (1 regular, 2 tourney) and 3 tournament bids. He brought back Spectrum Magic and excitement around the basketball team and also helped get two players drafted into the NBA for the first time in about 35 years.

You guys that are butt hurt really need to just move on and quit trying to downplay Smith. It's truly embarrassing.

Can we please move on?
:notworthy:

WAAggie

Post by WAAggie » May 19th, 2021, 2:39 pm

Well said, Tree!

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » May 19th, 2021, 3:08 pm

Lol. Craig Smith lost a recruit to BYU. That's brutal if you're at Utah offering the pac 12 and "have everything possible to offer" and then lose a non lds recruit from back East to BYU, the wcc & the honor code.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » May 19th, 2021, 3:26 pm

Roy McAvoy wrote:
May 19th, 2021, 3:08 pm
Lol. Craig Smith lost a recruit to BYU. That's brutal if you're at Utah offering the pac 12 and "have everything possible to offer" and then lose a non lds recruit from back East to BYU, the wcc & the honor code.

Hey BYU finally got a transfer. This kid seems solid granted his 3% percentage is pretty poor.

Dkdavis

Post by Dkdavis » May 19th, 2021, 3:34 pm

I think part of the reason I want Smith to do poorly at Utah is that deep down inside I want to believe that as much as Craig did for USU, USU did equally as much for him, and that Utah can't provide that for him despite the extra money and the bigger conference. I want to believe that there is some magic in USU. The urge is natural. I wish the best to Smith, but I will continue to secretly wish he fails at Utah. Does that make me a bad person... :noidea:
These users thanked the author Dkdavis for the post (total 7):
Roy McAvoyAggiePTAggie84025aggieguy13flying_scotsman2.0Aggie in BoiseViAggie

newhouse9

Post by newhouse9 » May 19th, 2021, 3:43 pm

Dkdavis wrote:
May 19th, 2021, 3:34 pm
I think part of the reason I want Smith to do poorly at Utah is that deep down inside I want to believe that as much as Craig did for USU, USU did equally as much for him, and that Utah can't provide that for him despite the extra money and the bigger conference. I want to believe that there is some magic in USU. The urge is natural. I wish the best to Smith, but I will continue to secretly wish he fails at Utah. Does that make me a bad person... :noidea:
I think that is an honest self-assessment; I share much of it!
These users thanked the author newhouse9 for the post (total 2):
flying_scotsman2.0ViAggie

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » May 19th, 2021, 5:21 pm

newhouse9 wrote:
May 19th, 2021, 3:43 pm
Dkdavis wrote:
I think that is an honest self-assessment; I share much of it!
#MeToo.
I also think there is much truth to there being something magic in USU's program.
These users thanked the author Aglicious for the post (total 4):
AggiePTflying_scotsman2.0ViAggieFull

OrangeCountyAggie

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » May 19th, 2021, 6:29 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:
May 17th, 2021, 10:15 pm
bluegrouse wrote:
May 17th, 2021, 9:52 pm
ineptimusprime wrote:
May 17th, 2021, 9:32 pm
Winkie wrote:
May 14th, 2021, 2:17 pm
Apologies. Long Post Alert:

This post mortem on Smith’s recruiting makes me ponder on a moment as we sat at the “fans breakfast”, an event staged as part of the Jersey Mike’s Jamaica Classic back a couple years…the event in which the Aggies came back from 19 down to knock off LSU, then nipped North Texas to win the damn thing (also, UMBC was a participating team, next action off their NCAA miracle, my first exposure to Ryan Odom).

“Steve” (I forgot his last name, but he was coordinator for Basketball Operations) was there representing the team at our table and we discussed recruiting. He told us Craig Smith had a definite philosophy, “We are only going to recruit OKGs.”

What were OKGs? He explained, “That stands for ‘Our Kind of Guys’.” Coach Smith had it in his mind that he needed a certain personality type to be successful. Character people (he figured he was lousy at dealing with “off-court” issues, just didn’t want to deal with lifestyle matters for his players), folks who were appreciative of the opportunity, ones who would buckle down, not cause waves, work hard, sustain team connectivity. I realize now (my take) also some of those who were primed and susceptible to the “rah-rah”, high energy environment he fostered…. (“Let’s go crash through that wall, men!! Charge!!) Maybe he got more out of his teams with that approach than talent would have dictated.

Maybe some of his deficits being identified on this fan board fit into the pattern. Maybe he was not so great at X’s & O’s. And, in a head-to-head battle, he may not figure to be the most successful landing the best talent level kid; which accounts for some of the gems he’s found around the fringes. (Don’t think Neemy was on too many teams’ radar when Eric Peterson tracked him down and landed him. Liam McChesney, another example, a kid famously flying to the Las Vegas tournament just to be “discovered”. How many foreign-born players?) He could pluck off a few of these, be good enough, and stay competitive.

Well, now, I’m trusting (maybe hoping) Odom and his staff will go into the battles. I hope they figure to compete head-to-head with other schools, SELL this program on its merits, its history, its potential, (yes, also, its location!), and actually “win” the recruiting battles a few times with higher-level talent. That will be a key to sustained success moving forward. Early returns look promising.
“Our Kind of Guys” or “OKGs” is some scientology level BS. A very thinly-veiled way of saying “I want to
recruit people who look like me because I am more comfortable with that.”

Basically reaffirms my belief that the current racial makeup of the roster is the fault of Smith, Smith, and only Smith.
I don't see the resemblance between Craig Smith and Marco Anthony (or Queta or Anderson) and yet Smith brought him here and is taking him with him. Maybe I'm missing something.

Every coach in America wants OKG's - the kind of guys that will fit their system best, that will buy into the philosophy. Smith's philosophy is based on GATA. Team-first players that will outwork anyone. Those kind of guys are Smith's OKGs.
It's some sort of scientology-level BS pronounce it otherwise and to make these kinds of serious accusations/insinuations about someone without any evidence to support your claim.
No serious accusation here. Don’t think Smith is or was racist, I just think he recruited who he was comfortable with (i.e., people that wouldn’t make waves, that wouldn’t rock the boat, etc.), not necessarily the best players or the players that best fit with our roster, which usually meant white guys. The “evidence” is in the rosters he constructed. There are obviously a token few exceptions to the rule that he largely recruited white guys.

It is astonishing to me that people are so uncomfortable discussing race that they can’t even acknowledge the highly-likely and even innocuous explanation that Smith largely recruited white guys because it was easier for him. It is a lot easier just to recruit white guys to Logan than it is trying to help young African-American kids acclimate and thrive in Logan. The “OKG” model described in this thread sure seemed like the mentality of a coach that was not willing to deal with players that would require him to put any effort into non-basketball issues — like a young african-american kid dealing with culture shock in a rural, religiously-conservative Utah community.

I appreciate what Smith did here. It was a fun three years, but I am glad we have Coach Odom now.
Besides the lack of diverse recruiting, for me it was the way he utilized/coached some players ALOT differently (Brown, Anderson, Knight for example) versus other white players who were clearly less talented - was always an eyebrow-raiser.

OrangeCountyAggie

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » May 19th, 2021, 6:39 pm

treesap32 wrote:
May 18th, 2021, 11:51 pm

Can we please move on?
No.
These users thanked the author OrangeCountyAggie for the post:
flying_scotsman2.0

WAAggie

Post by WAAggie » May 19th, 2021, 7:15 pm

What subjective bs. So queta played less than he should have do to ethnicity? Marco? Previous non-white. It’s a narrative that is so BYUish it’s embarrassing. Time outs were not used as effectively as I thought they could’ve been, the offense had lulls and queta could have done more pick/rolls, but to call him out for purposely be racially biased is asinine. I think the fact he recruited citizens, students and then raw talent is fair, but to openly call him racially biased in player rotation is crazy talk to me.

These users thanked the author WAAggie for the post (total 4):
cvalUSU78Aggie in Boisebluegrouse

Sl7vk

Post by Sl7vk » May 19th, 2021, 7:20 pm

Surrounded by Utah fans here.

Went into the office yesterday, and two staunch Ute supporters on my team, who were very excited about the Smith hire are down in the dumps.

Everyone is leaving and we are downgrading at each position.

Particularly big blow seems to be Rylan Jones.
These users thanked the author Sl7vk for the post (total 4):
flying_scotsman2.0BLUERUFiOReal Life Aggieaggieguy13

WAAggie

Post by WAAggie » May 19th, 2021, 7:23 pm

Knight chose to never go to class, not sure about your Brown assertion and Anderson quite often was in concrete as players blew past him or out hustled him for rebounds. He was not a 110% hustle guy, but I did like his games he was dialed in on.

These users thanked the author WAAggie for the post:
USU78

jackattack

Post by jackattack » May 19th, 2021, 7:45 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:
May 17th, 2021, 10:15 pm
bluegrouse wrote:
May 17th, 2021, 9:52 pm
ineptimusprime wrote:
May 17th, 2021, 9:32 pm
Winkie wrote:
May 14th, 2021, 2:17 pm
Apologies. Long Post Alert:

This post mortem on Smith’s recruiting makes me ponder on a moment as we sat at the “fans breakfast”, an event staged as part of the Jersey Mike’s Jamaica Classic back a couple years…the event in which the Aggies came back from 19 down to knock off LSU, then nipped North Texas to win the damn thing (also, UMBC was a participating team, next action off their NCAA miracle, my first exposure to Ryan Odom).

“Steve” (I forgot his last name, but he was coordinator for Basketball Operations) was there representing the team at our table and we discussed recruiting. He told us Craig Smith had a definite philosophy, “We are only going to recruit OKGs.”

What were OKGs? He explained, “That stands for ‘Our Kind of Guys’.” Coach Smith had it in his mind that he needed a certain personality type to be successful. Character people (he figured he was lousy at dealing with “off-court” issues, just didn’t want to deal with lifestyle matters for his players), folks who were appreciative of the opportunity, ones who would buckle down, not cause waves, work hard, sustain team connectivity. I realize now (my take) also some of those who were primed and susceptible to the “rah-rah”, high energy environment he fostered…. (“Let’s go crash through that wall, men!! Charge!!) Maybe he got more out of his teams with that approach than talent would have dictated.

Maybe some of his deficits being identified on this fan board fit into the pattern. Maybe he was not so great at X’s & O’s. And, in a head-to-head battle, he may not figure to be the most successful landing the best talent level kid; which accounts for some of the gems he’s found around the fringes. (Don’t think Neemy was on too many teams’ radar when Eric Peterson tracked him down and landed him. Liam McChesney, another example, a kid famously flying to the Las Vegas tournament just to be “discovered”. How many foreign-born players?) He could pluck off a few of these, be good enough, and stay competitive.

Well, now, I’m trusting (maybe hoping) Odom and his staff will go into the battles. I hope they figure to compete head-to-head with other schools, SELL this program on its merits, its history, its potential, (yes, also, its location!), and actually “win” the recruiting battles a few times with higher-level talent. That will be a key to sustained success moving forward. Early returns look promising.
“Our Kind of Guys” or “OKGs” is some scientology level BS. A very thinly-veiled way of saying “I want to
recruit people who look like me because I am more comfortable with that.”

Basically reaffirms my belief that the current racial makeup of the roster is the fault of Smith, Smith, and only Smith.
I don't see the resemblance between Craig Smith and Marco Anthony (or Queta or Anderson) and yet Smith brought him here and is taking him with him. Maybe I'm missing something.

Every coach in America wants OKG's - the kind of guys that will fit their system best, that will buy into the philosophy. Smith's philosophy is based on GATA. Team-first players that will outwork anyone. Those kind of guys are Smith's OKGs.
It's some sort of scientology-level BS pronounce it otherwise and to make these kinds of serious accusations/insinuations about someone without any evidence to support your claim.
No serious accusation here. Don’t think Smith is or was racist, I just think he recruited who he was comfortable with (i.e., people that wouldn’t make waves, that wouldn’t rock the boat, etc.), not necessarily the best players or the players that best fit with our roster, which usually meant white guys. The “evidence” is in the rosters he constructed. There are obviously a token few exceptions to the rule that he largely recruited white guys.

It is astonishing to me that people are so uncomfortable discussing race that they can’t even acknowledge the highly-likely and even innocuous explanation that Smith largely recruited white guys because it was easier for him. It is a lot easier just to recruit white guys to Logan than it is trying to help young African-American kids acclimate and thrive in Logan. The “OKG” model described in this thread sure seemed like the mentality of a coach that was not willing to deal with players that would require him to put any effort into non-basketball issues — like a young african-american kid dealing with culture shock in a rural, religiously-conservative Utah community.

I appreciate what Smith did here. It was a fun three years, but I am glad we have Coach Odom now.
I am having a hard time following your mental gymnastics. How do you go from OKG's to guys that are white? Smith didn't say that. I believe he was specifically talking about guys with a certain attitude. And do you mean to infer that some guys who may be different color aren't worth the trouble because they don't have the specific attitude that Coach Smith sought? Most of us are fine speaking about race, we even recognize we may have some of our own biases we're working to overcome, but don't say we're not okay with it just because we don't agree with you.

If you're negative about everything all the time Prime, you're bound to get some things right. And also, please refrain from using so many blanket statements. It is not a very effective way to communicate.
These users thanked the author jackattack for the post:
USU78

flying_scotsman2.0

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » May 19th, 2021, 7:59 pm

Dkdavis wrote:
Hear, hear. Objective folks are wanting the dreamers to think objectively, but we don’t wanna. I won’t even acknowledge why objective feelings about Smith. I hope he has a great life and his family enjoys the 18M, but I hope the U fails in all aspects of athletics, basketball head coach included. Not my fault he went there and fell into that category.
Last edited by flying_scotsman2.0 on May 20th, 2021, 6:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author flying_scotsman2.0 for the post (total 3):
aggieguy13ViAggieDkdavis

LarryTheAggie

Post by LarryTheAggie » May 19th, 2021, 11:04 pm

There is a big difference between hoping or even thinking he will fail at Utah, and saying that he was a racist and not a good coach at USU.

Two things can be true: 1. he was a great coach for us and I am very glad he was here. 2. I hope he fails at utah.
Last edited by LarryTheAggie on May 20th, 2021, 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author LarryTheAggie for the post (total 2):
ViAggieDkdavis

SSaggie

Post by SSaggie » May 20th, 2021, 7:29 am

slcagg wrote:
Roy McAvoy wrote:

Hey BYU finally got a transfer. This kid seems solid granted his 3% percentage is pretty poor.
Lol. Classic Craig Smith to recruit a poor 3pt shooter. I loved when he coached here and I personally think he will get it figured out at the U ( to our dismay), but I am looking forward to better 3pt shooting with Odom (which hopefully accompanies winning)

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

slcagg

Post by slcagg » May 20th, 2021, 8:02 am

Roy McAvoy wrote:

BYU Twitter dweebs are claiming both gach is their next priority and they have an excellent shot at adding him. I know not usu related but since he wanted to come here last year I thought semi related.

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » May 20th, 2021, 8:12 am

As long as we keep winning, I don't really care how well Smith does at the U. It will only hurt if he completely turns the U around in one season while we flounder around in Odom's year one. I always felt like the coming season was going to be a rebuilt. I trusted Smith to get us through that based on his previous three seasons. Odom has my hopes up, but I'm still a bit worried until I see the results on the court.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » May 20th, 2021, 8:45 am

NVAggie wrote:
May 20th, 2021, 8:12 am
As long as we keep winning, I don't really care how well Smith does at the U. It will only hurt if he completely turns the U around in one season while we flounder around in Odom's year one. I always felt like the coming season was going to be a rebuilt. I trusted Smith to get us through that based on his previous three seasons. Odom has my hopes up, but I'm still a bit worried until I see the results on the court.
If it is a “rebuild” with three senior all-conference players in the starting lineup, that will be sad. I’m not sure we’ll be an NCAA tourney team, but I think we’ll win 20+ games next year.

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » May 20th, 2021, 8:47 am

I'm talking about the very end of the season. With Queta most likely leaving, I felt we where going to need a piece or two to compete. I felt like he was a big reason for our success last season. At that point, we still had Anderson as a maybe, Marco, Worster, etc. Of course, all of that changed rather quickly and we have some nice pieces that could be really good. We will see how it all comes together.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » May 20th, 2021, 8:48 am

ineptimusprime wrote:
May 20th, 2021, 8:45 am
NVAggie wrote:
If it is a “rebuild” with three senior all-conference players in the starting lineup, that will be sad. I’m not sure we’ll be an NCAA tourney team, but I think we’ll win 20+ games next year.
Yeah, but 2 of 3 all conference players were from a smaller conference so I don't think we can really count them as really viable transfer replacements. :sarcasm:

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » May 20th, 2021, 8:54 am

Aggie84025 wrote:
May 20th, 2021, 8:48 am
ineptimusprime wrote:
May 20th, 2021, 8:45 am
NVAggie wrote:
Yeah, but 2 of 3 all conference players were from a smaller conference so I don't think we can really count them as really viable transfer replacements. :sarcasm:
Haha. I trust Odom to fit the pieces together better than I trusted Smith. I genuinely believe we would have an NCAA tourney win or two if Smith had recruited a decent athletic PG when the need was first obvious.
These users thanked the author ineptimusprime for the post:
Aggie84025

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » May 20th, 2021, 10:11 am

I wouldn't count out Smith right away, but if his recruiting class for 2022 isn't any better than 2021 there will be signs of trouble. Krysto's first year there was pretty awful, but then he landed some good recruiting classes and had some good years. Smith can flat out coach. I firmly believe he can win with less, but it can't be that much less. You are going to have to bring in more talent than he has done to be able to compete in the Pac 12 where Arizona, Oregon, UCLA and USC all regularly bring in 4 and 5 star recruits.

Locked Previous topicNext topic