Which will be harder to replace?

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » May 11th, 2021, 3:19 pm

I think the 2021-22 season will show Aggie fans just how much the team relied on Neemias Queta at both ends of the floor. The question is, which is going to be harder to replace: Queta on offense? or Queta on defense?

Queta touched the ball on a vast majority of offensive possessions. He was a great passer and developed a nice baby hook with either hand. He had good (and improving) footwork in the post and a soft jump shot out to 15 feet or so. When the offense would bog down, Queta could make something happen, even with double or triple teams.

On defense, Queta corrected a lot of deficiencies and poor position from the wing players. He altered shots and is the all-time blocked shots leader in school history. His defensive contributions cannot be over-stated. He was also a good rebounder and was quick and athletic enough to recover or help from the weak side when the forward would get beat.

So where will he be missed most?

I think there is enough coming back and enough coming in to make up for his offense. I see USU slipping a lot on the defensive side of the ball. The Aggies will have to get better and I see a lot more zone defense in the future.

Eutaw St. Aggie

GUS

Re: Which will be harder to replace?

Post by GUS » May 11th, 2021, 3:27 pm

No question that he will be missed most on defense. Queta allowed players to overplay and play tighter on defense because they knew the big guy was behind them. Better shooters can pick up the slack on offense. Hopefully we have those now. Queta was special on D. USU will not have defensive stats like they have had the past two seasons.
These users thanked the author GUS for the post:
ereksonaggie

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » May 11th, 2021, 3:41 pm

For me it is for sure defense. The guards could play really aggressive knowing Mt. Queta was there to alter the shot. On offense I think he was important, but actually think with the additions we will be better offensively.

Bank Shot

Post by Bank Shot » May 11th, 2021, 3:42 pm

GUS wrote:
May 11th, 2021, 3:27 pm
No question that he will be missed most on defense. Queta allowed players to overplay and play tighter on defense because they knew the big guy was behind them. Better shooters can pick up the slack on offense. Hopefully we have those now. Queta was special on D. USU will not have defensive stats like they have had the past two seasons.
On top of that, do we have anyone that can shut down the other teams best like Marco? That may or may not be possible, but it will a long time before we have another player that could impact on defense like Queta.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » May 11th, 2021, 3:45 pm

Bank Shot wrote:
May 11th, 2021, 3:42 pm
GUS wrote:
May 11th, 2021, 3:27 pm
On top of that, do we have anyone that can shut down the other teams best like Marco? That may or may not be possible, but it will a long time before we have another player that could impact on defense like Queta.
Not sure if he can be effective as Anthony, but I think Shulga has the potential to be a solid defender. He seemed to be in a lot of steals and deflections.
These users thanked the author Aggie84025 for the post:
hipsterdoofus21

Real Life Aggie

Post by Real Life Aggie » May 11th, 2021, 4:07 pm

Yossarian wrote:
May 11th, 2021, 3:19 pm
I think the 2021-22 season will show Aggie fans just how much the team relied on Neemias Queta at both ends of the floor. The question is, which is going to be harder to replace: Queta on offense? or Queta on defense?

Queta touched the ball on a vast majority of offensive possessions. He was a great passer and developed a nice baby hook with either hand. He had good (and improving) footwork in the post and a soft jump shot out to 15 feet or so. When the offense would bog down, Queta could make something happen, even with double or triple teams.

On defense, Queta corrected a lot of deficiencies and poor position from the wing players. He altered shots and is the all-time blocked shots leader in school history. His defensive contributions cannot be over-stated. He was also a good rebounder and was quick and athletic enough to recover or help from the weak side when the forward would get beat.

So where will he be missed most?

I think there is enough coming back and enough coming in to make up for his offense. I see USU slipping a lot on the defensive side of the ball. The Aggies will have to get better and I see a lot more zone defense in the future.
A good question to ask...

I think us being a crappy offensive team last year helped Queta's draft stock significantly. On a great offensive team, he doesn't have to step up and be such an offensive presence. With our team rounding out (on paper) to be a better offensive team, I think it would have lessened the burden on him. I mean, he really had those banner nights against Boise St because nobody else could get anything done on offense. If one guard could have stepped up and been a threat, he goes from a 30 pt game to a 15 pt game, and the team might have been better off for it.

Defense is an all around loss without him there.

Blitz79

Post by Blitz79 » May 11th, 2021, 5:13 pm

Defense for sure. We won most games last year on defense.

Shulga showed flashes on defense, but those flashes we more on the steal category and not the "I'm going to lock you down and make you take a bad shot" variety.

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » May 11th, 2021, 5:26 pm

Defense, defense, defense. We had to throw the ball to Queta on offense because he was the only one that could command any extra attention from the defense. Our offense was incredibly inefficient and ineffective all season. We had a freshman PG that was inconsistent and turnover prone, Marco who could be sagged off of on the perimeter and struggled to finish in a crowded paint, and Miller who cannot create his own shot and struggles to lose his defender off the ball. Queta and Bean were too good individually to have either come off the bench, but really were a poor fit as a duo since neither could stretch the floor. Their work on the boards was often a zero sum result as well. We had 7-10 minute droughts on a nightly basis. We had to be elite defensively to win this season. Next year we won't have to because we'll be so much more balanced offensively.

OrangeCountyAggie

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » May 11th, 2021, 6:13 pm

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
May 11th, 2021, 5:26 pm
Defense, defense, defense. We had to throw the ball to Queta on offense because he was the only one that could command any extra attention from the defense. Our offense was incredibly inefficient and ineffective all season. We had a freshman PG that was inconsistent and turnover prone, Marco who could be sagged off of on the perimeter and struggled to finish in a crowded paint, and Miller who cannot create his own shot and struggles to lose his defender off the ball. Queta and Bean were too good individually to have either come off the bench, but really were a poor fit as a duo since neither could stretch the floor. Their work on the boards was often a zero sum result as well. We had 7-10 minute droughts on a nightly basis. We had to be elite defensively to win this season. Next year we won't have to because we'll be so much more balanced offensively.
Remember that Wyoming game, where they literally let ANYONE shoot a wide-open 3 and packed 5 dudes in the post? I think Shulga and Ashworth went like 0-50 :lol:

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » May 11th, 2021, 6:19 pm

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
This is so true. Luckily we had the most dominant defensive player I have ever seen in an Aggie uniform helping us to be elite every night. Our guards could afford to get beat off the dribble because it only took one trip into the lane to understand there was no use trying to drive to the hoop with Neemi on the court.

I worry what we'll do now when these quicker guards we'll face in conference can easily take our guys off the dribble with no fear of taking it all the way. Let alone what we'll do with a guy like Roddy who can now bully us inside. We may swing to the other end of the spectrum and be a team that has to rely on offense to outscore opponents rather than holding opponents from scoring.

Look at how many different players led us in scoring in a single game last season. One could look at that and think it is due to balanced team scoring but the truth was it was just a result of inconsistent scoring from any one individual. It will be nice to see if we have a core 4-5 players that we can rely on for consistent points every night under Odom's system.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » May 11th, 2021, 6:35 pm

OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
May 11th, 2021, 6:13 pm
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
Remember that Wyoming game, where they literally let ANYONE shoot a wide-open 3 and packed 5 dudes in the post? I think Shulga and Ashworth went like 0-50 :lol:
It worked for about 15 minutes. Ashworth and shulga actually hit several 3's in the 2nd half.

Gljflyfloater

Post by Gljflyfloater » May 11th, 2021, 9:40 pm

I think if it turns out that Ashworth and Shulga are the starting guards it may be a long season. They are ok but they probably can’t get the Aggies to the league championship? We won’t really know what we have until we see Jones, E. Rock and Thelissen play. It is possible that scoring, turnovers and quickness may all improve. I hope so.they all bring ALOT of experience. Another question is what have we got in Zapala. He was a four star recruit and was offered a scholarship by Maryland, Georgia Tech and others. If he is a sleeper on defense we may not fall off as far as it now seems. If he doesn’t work out . I think the aggies will play small ball. I do think there is a good chance the Aggies will reduce turnovers, shoot better and improve there quickness. The real upside is we still have Bean. He is really a great player. Hope he is shooting the ball behind the arc all summer long.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » May 11th, 2021, 9:45 pm

Gljflyfloater wrote:
May 11th, 2021, 9:40 pm
I think if it turns out that Ashworth and Shulga are the starting guards it may be a long season. They are ok but they probably can’t get the Aggies to the league championship? We won’t really know what we have until we see Jones, E. Rock and Thelissen play. It is possible that scoring, turnovers and quickness may all improve. I hope so.they all bring ALOT of experience. Another question is what have we got in Zapala. He was a four star recruit and was offered a scholarship by Maryland, Georgia Tech and others. If he is a sleeper on defense we may not fall off as far as it now seems. If he doesn’t work out . I think the aggies will play small ball. I do think there is a good chance the Aggies will reduce turnovers, shoot better and improve there quickness. The real upside is we still have Bean. He is really a great player. Hope he is shooting the ball behind the arc all summer long.
You could tell zapala was very skilled for a center. Think he can be very good if he develops.

Gljflyfloater

Post by Gljflyfloater » May 11th, 2021, 9:49 pm

It was alway puzzling to me why he didn’t get minutes that went to Doris? He did play in the European elite leagues.

OrangeCountyAggie

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » May 11th, 2021, 9:53 pm

Gljflyfloater wrote:
May 11th, 2021, 9:49 pm
It was alway puzzling to me why he didn’t get minutes that went to Doris? He did play in the European elite leagues.
Probably because he's more similar to Queta (more defensive minded). If you're looking for more scoring from that position, you'd probably go with Zapala.

LarryTheAggie

Post by LarryTheAggie » May 11th, 2021, 10:02 pm

OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
May 11th, 2021, 9:53 pm
Gljflyfloater wrote:
Probably because he's more similar to Queta (more defensive minded). If you're looking for more scoring from that position, you'd probably go with Zapala.
That is what I have been thinking too. With the whole team/scheme revolving around Queta last year, Doris may have been a better back up in that we did not need to change the whole style of play when he was in. Doesn't mean that he was better than zapala maybe just better for the team.

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » May 11th, 2021, 10:03 pm

I thought Dorius showed some athleticism and timing on defense when he was in. He is not a bad defender. He is not Queta, but he can protect the rim. He won't be able to guard a center that wants to pull him away from the basket, but he will affect shots in the key.
These users thanked the author Yossarian for the post:
Real Life Aggie

Eutaw St. Aggie

Real Life Aggie

Post by Real Life Aggie » May 11th, 2021, 10:23 pm

Yossarian wrote:
May 11th, 2021, 10:03 pm
I thought Dorius showed some athleticism and timing on defense when he was in. He is not a bad defender. He is not Queta, but he can protect the rim. He won't be able to guard a center that wants to pull him away from the basket, but he will affect shots in the key.
Also, Dorius played aggressively. He gave some fouls, he powered up for dunks. He was there to give Queta some breathing room, so him coming in and throwing punches (figuratively) was great play. I think we'll see a lot more finesse and depth to his game this year.

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » May 11th, 2021, 11:04 pm

I really wish Smith would have taken advantage of the overwhelming height advantage the Aggies had on Texas Tech and played Queta and Dirius together in the tournament game. I think we could have done some damage to them in the paint. We certainly weren't beating them from outside

Eutaw St. Aggie

Real Life Aggie

Post by Real Life Aggie » May 12th, 2021, 7:13 am

Yossarian wrote:
May 11th, 2021, 11:04 pm
I really wish Smith would have taken advantage of the overwhelming height advantage the Aggies had on Texas Tech and played Queta and Dirius together in the tournament game. I think we could have done some damage to them in the paint. We certainly weren't beating them from outside
Maybe... I would have worried that their quick turnover-forcing guards would have been all over Dorius. But, what did we have to lose?

Aggie in Boise

Post by Aggie in Boise » May 12th, 2021, 8:31 am

Yossarian wrote:
May 11th, 2021, 10:03 pm
I agree. With the exception of Queta it has been quite a while since we had a five as good as Dorius.
These users thanked the author Aggie in Boise for the post:
Real Life Aggie

"We've upped our standards, so UP YOURS." Unknown

AGGIEinIOWA

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » May 12th, 2021, 9:53 am

It’s been a while since we’ve had as many capable and balanced scorers and playmakers as we seem to have now. Last year we relied heavily on Neemi on both ends and the prior year depended on Sam on Offense and had a limited Nemi for much of the season on defense. We will definitely miss the rim protection element next season but we have plenty of overall length and athleticism to be capable defenders as long as the coaching and will is there to buckle down and defend. I’m excited to see us on offense though. I think we will be tough to defend. Too many long scoring droughts last year that I anticipate will improve this season.

Can we play Utah next season? Depending on who Smith can pull out of the portal I think we may have the better team at this point.

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » May 12th, 2021, 10:34 am

AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
May 12th, 2021, 9:53 am
It’s been a while since we’ve had as many capable and balanced scorers and playmakers as we seem to have now. Last year we relied heavily on Neemi on both ends and the prior year depended on Sam on Offense and had a limited Nemi for much of the season on defense. We will definitely miss the rim protection element next season but we have plenty of overall length and athleticism to be capable defenders as long as the coaching and will is there to buckle down and defend. I’m excited to see us on offense though. I think we will be tough to defend. Too many long scoring droughts last year that I anticipate will improve this season.

Can we play Utah next season? Depending on who Smith can pull out of the portal I think we may have the better team at this point.
It seems we say this every year. We go into the season (every season) thinking we have offense and depth all the way up and down the lineup. Then, by the end of the season, we play a 7 or maybe 8 man rotation and have stretches of 5, 6, or 7 minutes without a field goal and an offense that just stalls. I'll enjoy a deep and talented offensive team when we have one, but I'm not holding my breath any more.

Eutaw St. Aggie

imanaggie

Post by imanaggie » May 12th, 2021, 10:54 am

I actually think Queta was under utilized on offense. He rarely received the ball on the low block. So many of the passes to him were at the elbow of the paint where he couldn't do anything. This was a criticism I had of Smith before he became an a$shole.

mcaggie1

Post by mcaggie1 » May 12th, 2021, 11:01 am

Please help me out. I marvel when I hear someone talk about how good Zapala is going to be. Someone mentioned how defensive minded he is, and another that he looks like he can be good offensively. I must have missed some games. I thought I saw most if not all games. He came in the game very few times by my recollection, but maybe more. The times I watched him play, he was very slow. Slow to react, slow to shoot, and a slow mover. At times he looked lost. I actually felt bad for him that he had not caught up with the speed of the game, and wondered if he could.
Please tell me I am up in the night. On the bench he is very supportive of his teammates and enthusiastic. On the floor in a game, I apparently have missed something.
Last edited by mcaggie1 on May 12th, 2021, 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author mcaggie1 for the post (total 2):
YossarianColoraggie

Usu0505

Post by Usu0505 » May 12th, 2021, 11:14 am

mcaggie1 wrote:Please help me out. I marvel when I hear someone talk about how good Zavala is going to be. Someone mentioned how defensive minded he is, and another that he looks like he can be good offensively. I must have missed some games. I thought I saw most if not all games. He came in the game very few times by my recollection, but maybe more. The times I watched him play, he was very slow. Slow to react, slow to shoot, and a slow mover. At times he looked lost. I actually felt bad for him that he had not caught up with the speed of the game, and wondered if he could.
Please tell me I am up in the night. On the bench he is very supportive of his teammates and enthusiastic. On the floor in a game, I apparently have missed something.
I didn’t really see it either

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author Usu0505 for the post:
mcaggie1

AGGIEinIOWA

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » May 12th, 2021, 11:48 am

Usu0505 wrote:
mcaggie1 wrote:Please help me out. I marvel when I hear someone talk about how good Zavala is going to be. Someone mentioned how defensive minded he is, and another that he looks like he can be good offensively. I must have missed some games. I thought I saw most if not all games. He came in the game very few times by my recollection, but maybe more. The times I watched him play, he was very slow. Slow to react, slow to shoot, and a slow mover. At times he looked lost. I actually felt bad for him that he had not caught up with the speed of the game, and wondered if he could.
I didn’t really see it either

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Neither did I. Was very underwhelmed with Zapala. Maybe he’ll settle in and become a contributor but I supported playing Dorius ahead of Zapala last year and would be surprised if Zapala beat him out for back up minutes again this year. Dorius seemed to be more explosive, aggressive, and confident.

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » May 12th, 2021, 11:59 am

Zapala was a foul and turnover machine in his limited minutes.

Bank Shot

Post by Bank Shot » May 12th, 2021, 12:05 pm

Two of the most cringe worthy moments from last year was Bairstow's backwards layup attempt and Zapala's first FT.
These users thanked the author Bank Shot for the post:
mcaggie1

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » May 12th, 2021, 12:10 pm

Bank Shot wrote:
May 12th, 2021, 12:05 pm
Two of the most cringe worthy moments from last year was Bairstow's backwards layup attempt and Zapala's first FT.
Don't forget the wide open fast break by Bairstow against UNLV where he goes up and completely loses the ball out of his hands with no one touching him.

Bank Shot

Post by Bank Shot » May 12th, 2021, 12:13 pm

Since we did eventually make the tourney, that whole 2nd half against UNLV is almost pure comedy. Almost!

mcaggie1

Post by mcaggie1 » May 12th, 2021, 2:34 pm

Bank Shot wrote:
May 12th, 2021, 12:05 pm
I laughed out loud at that one. :lol: :lol:

Coloraggie

Post by Coloraggie » May 12th, 2021, 7:54 pm

I disagree with some of you on Queta. I think if our team had more offensive weapons Queta would have been better on offense. Sure he got the ball a lot and had a couple of games when he had to score but I think if you had one or two other reliable scorers would have done a couple of things for Queta on the offensive end. 1) He would not have been double-teamed each time he touched the ball and therefore could have gotten better looks and been more efficient. 2) If he was double-teamed and passed out of it his number of assists could have doubled if someone was able to hit the open shot. 3) With open looks and scoring we might of played a little faster tempo, giving more shots around to the team and more opportunities on defense for blocks and rebounds! IMO, Queta did not benefit in our team being so bad offensively otherwise.

I am also on the side that I didn't see anything in Zapala, no reason for me to believe he will be special or anything more than Modou Niang. I hope he has it and I just didn't see it. I hope he is one of next NBA prospects but if I was a betting man I would bet against it.
These users thanked the author Coloraggie for the post (total 2):
Aggie in Boisetugafan

Gljflyfloater

Post by Gljflyfloater » May 12th, 2021, 11:05 pm

I don’t think we saw enough of Zapala to know what he is. Basically he was an 18 or 19 polish kid spending his first year in the USA. He played maybeeee 10 [minutes total. To me he never seemed to reach the playing point where he was comfortable on the floor. Smith apparently thought that he was more of a project than time would permit. All I really know about him is he is 6ft 11 inches in a well proportioned body. I also know as I said before,he was a 4 star athelete and recruited by Maryland, Georgia Tech and others. I would presume ( maybe erroneously) that either their scouts or on film that they saw something that they liked. I also think that Odem would have let him go if he didn’t see some potential. If he doesn’t work out my take on Darius is journeyman player. Not very good hands, can’t jump and not much of a shot. I think we will see small ball. Two years ago when Quetta was hurt, the Aggies played small ball and were very effective beating LSU and Florida in a preseason tournament. Between Bean, Horvath Potter et al it,s not a bad place to be. Final thought. The Aggies will be just fine.

Pacobag

Post by Pacobag » May 13th, 2021, 6:57 am

mcaggie1 wrote:
May 12th, 2021, 11:01 am
Someone mentioned how defensive minded he is
Are you referring to this?
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
May 11th, 2021, 9:53 pm
Gljflyfloater wrote:
If this is the one, I think the defensive minded comment is referring to Dorius.

Locked Previous topicNext topic