Which will be harder to replace?

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
mcaggie1

Re: Which will be harder to replace?

Post by mcaggie1 » May 13th, 2021, 11:01 am

Pacobag wrote:
May 13th, 2021, 6:57 am
mcaggie1 wrote:
May 12th, 2021, 11:01 am
Someone mentioned how defensive minded he is
Are you referring to this?
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
May 11th, 2021, 9:53 pm
Gljflyfloater wrote:
May 11th, 2021, 9:49 pm
It was alway puzzling to me why he didn’t get minutes that went to Doris? He did play in the European elite leagues.
Probably because he's more similar to Queta (more defensive minded). If you're looking for more scoring from that position, you'd probably go with Zapala.
If this is the one, I think the defensive minded comment is referring to Dorius.
No. I refer to conversations with Aggie friends offline. Maybe they got it from your reference. I don’t know.
These users thanked the author mcaggie1 for the post:
Pacobag

OrangeCountyAggie

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » May 13th, 2021, 2:23 pm

imanaggie wrote:
May 12th, 2021, 10:54 am
I actually think Queta was under utilized on offense. He rarely received the ball on the low block. So many of the passes to him were at the elbow of the paint where he couldn't do anything. This was a criticism I had of Smith before he became an a$shole.
100% agree! I would have thrown the ball into him on 80% of the offensive possessions let him go to work one-on-one or kick out to cutters on double teams. And for hell's sake, you had one of the best guard-center combos in school history the previous season, maybe you run a few pick and rolls once in a while! :bangwall:

OrangeCountyAggie

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » May 13th, 2021, 2:25 pm

Aglicious wrote:
May 11th, 2021, 6:19 pm
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
May 11th, 2021, 5:26 pm
Defense, defense, defense. We had to throw the ball to Queta on offense because he was the only one that could command any extra attention from the defense. Our offense was incredibly inefficient and ineffective all season. We had a freshman PG that was inconsistent and turnover prone, Marco who could be sagged off of on the perimeter and struggled to finish in a crowded paint, and Miller who cannot create his own shot and struggles to lose his defender off the ball. Queta and Bean were too good individually to have either come off the bench, but really were a poor fit as a duo since neither could stretch the floor. Their work on the boards was often a zero sum result as well. We had 7-10 minute droughts on a nightly basis. We had to be elite defensively to win this season. Next year we won't have to because we'll be so much more balanced offensively.
This is so true. Luckily we had the most dominant defensive player I have ever seen in an Aggie uniform helping us to be elite every night. Our guards could afford to get beat off the dribble because it only took one trip into the lane to understand there was no use trying to drive to the hoop with Neemi on the court.

I worry what we'll do now when these quicker guards we'll face in conference can easily take our guys off the dribble with no fear of taking it all the way. Let alone what we'll do with a guy like Roddy who can now bully us inside. We may swing to the other end of the spectrum and be a team that has to rely on offense to outscore opponents rather than holding opponents from scoring.

Look at how many different players led us in scoring in a single game last season. One could look at that and think it is due to balanced team scoring but the truth was it was just a result of inconsistent scoring from any one individual. It will be nice to see if we have a core 4-5 players that we can rely on for consistent points every night under Odom's system.
Utah will definitely NOT have that luxury next year - they are screwed!

Winkie

Post by Winkie » May 13th, 2021, 3:18 pm

Coloraggie wrote:
May 12th, 2021, 7:54 pm
I disagree with some of you on Queta. I think if our team had more offensive weapons Queta would have been better on offense. Sure he got the ball a lot and had a couple of games when he had to score but I think if you had one or two other reliable scorers would have done a couple of things for Queta on the offensive end. 1) He would not have been double-teamed each time he touched the ball and therefore could have gotten better looks and been more efficient. 2) If he was double-teamed and passed out of it his number of assists could have doubled if someone was able to hit the open shot. 3) With open looks and scoring we might of played a little faster tempo, giving more shots around to the team and more opportunities on defense for blocks and rebounds! IMO, Queta did not benefit in our team being so bad offensively otherwise.

I am also on the side that I didn't see anything in Zapala, no reason for me to believe he will be special or anything more than Modou Niang. I hope he has it and I just didn't see it. I hope he is one of next NBA prospects but if I was a betting man I would bet against it.
I think you are on to something, here.
My take as to Queta on offense was that he probably did not provide enough.
My recollection of the Boise State games was that they would (one of the only teams to) NOT double team him. It seemed Coach Rice put in the game plan to just "lock down" the other four. Leave Queta to get "his" ... which he did to the tune of 30+ point nights. But, that was not nearly enough to get over the hump and those were the two crushing "L's". Seemed like the team didn't have anywhere else to go. I don't see Queta on offense strong enough to carry the load by himself, and - as you say - he could have done better with other offensive help from somewhere. Needed to be an "option" rather than a "requirement".

Locked Previous topicNext topic