Odom Interview

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Aggie84025

Odom Interview

Post by Aggie84025 » May 11th, 2021, 12:56 pm

For anyone who did not see it in the twitter feed, below is the link to the Odom interview with Andy Katz. Overall a really good listen.

These users thanked the author Aggie84025 for the post (total 4):
Bank ShotslcaggineptimusprimeAggieArmy

Aglicious
Site Admin

Re: Odom Interview

Post by Aglicious » May 11th, 2021, 1:15 pm

Listened to that this morning. Katz is generally pretty complimentary of USU and Odom seems genuinely happy to have made the move.

The biggest nugget from this interview?
Coach O expanded on what he meant when he said USU is "uniquely positioned" when it comes to the transfer portal. He basically stated that we are a program that is at the level that is a step up for low level G5 guys looking to prove themselves on a larger stage while also being a great landing spot for P5 guys that are looking for a better fit without taking a huge step down in competition. He described us as a program that is similar to Creighton, Butler, or Xavier that is traditionally on the cusp of that P5 level and carry a name and tradition that is known in the world of college basketball. Due to that and having great fan support is why he considers the Aggie's situation "unique".
These users thanked the author Aglicious for the post (total 6):
DkdavisBLUERUFiOslcaggineptimusprimeflying_scotsman2.0AgSpaceCase

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » May 11th, 2021, 1:46 pm

Odom’s a good ambassador for USU. He’s also a much bigger brand name in college basketball than Craig Smith was when we hired him due to his big tourney win at UMBC and his family coaching pedigree. I have no doubt he’ll move on to an ACC school where he grew up once he proves himself here, which is fine with me. I’ll take 3 more consecutive NCAA tourney bids and Coach O moving on to NC State or whatever in 2024.

I am glad he sees us as on the level of a Creighton, VCU, Xavier, or Wichita State. We haven’t had the recent tourney success those schools have had, but I am glad those schools are seen by someone who knows college basketball as our peers.
These users thanked the author ineptimusprime for the post (total 2):
aggies22AgSpaceCase

OrangeCountyAggie

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » May 11th, 2021, 2:05 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:
May 11th, 2021, 1:46 pm
Odom’s a good ambassador for USU. He’s also a much bigger brand name in college basketball than Craig Smith was when we hired him due to his big tourney win at UMBC and his family coaching pedigree. I have no doubt he’ll move on to an ACC school where he grew up once he proves himself here, which is fine with me. I’ll take 3 more consecutive NCAA tourney bids and Coach O moving on to NC State or whatever in 2024.

I am glad he sees us as on the level of a Creighton, VCU, Xavier, or Wichita State. We haven’t had the recent tourney success those schools have had, but I am glad those schools are seen by someone who knows college basketball as our peers.
Probably. But I'll only be happy if he A) Beats byu (often and convincingly) B) wins game(s) in the NCAA tourney, C) wins a conference title or two (reg. season or tourney), and D) Beats byu. Is that too much to ask?

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » May 11th, 2021, 3:11 pm

Aglicious wrote:
May 11th, 2021, 1:15 pm
Listened to that this morning. Katz is generally pretty complimentary of USU and Odom seems genuinely happy to have made the move.

Coach O expanded on what he meant when he said USU is "uniquely positioned" when it comes to the transfer portal. He basically stated that we are a program that is at the level that is a step up for low level G5 guys looking to prove themselves on a larger stage while also being a great landing spot for P5 guys that are looking for a better fit without taking a huge step down in competition. He described us as a program that is similar to Creighton, Butler, or Xavier that is traditionally on the cusp of that P5 level and carry a name and tradition that is known in the world of college basketball. Due to that and having great fan support is why he considers the Aggie's situation "unique".
I was impressed when he talked about the tough decision to leave UMBC and how it affects a lot of people. He mentioned sitting down with the UMBC team and letting them know that he was leaving. Better than just leaving like a thief in a night and not meeting with his team.
These users thanked the author Aggie84025 for the post:
flying_scotsman2.0

GUS

Post by GUS » May 11th, 2021, 3:30 pm

Also found it interesting that Quinn Snyder told Odom that Snyder's wife graduated from USU. Apparently, Snyder and his wife lived in Logan for three months while she finished her schooling.

Has thanked: 0

Post by ... » May 11th, 2021, 5:34 pm

Huh.... I didn’t know Quin Snyder’s wife went to Utah State and he lived in Logan for three months.

nvspuds

Post by nvspuds » May 12th, 2021, 10:20 am

Aglicious wrote:
May 11th, 2021, 1:15 pm

I would agree that USU is 'well' positioned to grab transfers like the ones Odom is talking about..However, You are far from 'unigue' in that regard. That is the exact transfer philosophy you find in the AAC, WCC, A-10 and the MW.

sam tingey
Pick'em Champ - '13, '16 FB Predict the Score; '17, '18 Bowl

Post by sam tingey » May 12th, 2021, 10:32 am

nvspuds wrote:
May 12th, 2021, 10:20 am

I would agree that USU is 'well' positioned to grab transfers like the ones Odom is talking about..However, You are far from 'unigue' in that regard. That is the exact transfer philosophy you find in the AAC, WCC, A-10 and the MW.
Hey man, don't bring us down like that. we love being unique...just like everyone else.

nvspuds

Post by nvspuds » May 12th, 2021, 10:37 am

Maybe Odom could roll with the whole "Logan has the best ice cream in Utah" pitch to emphasize a unigue trait..
These users thanked the author nvspuds for the post (total 2):
Real Life AggieAgSpaceCase

Real Life Aggie

Post by Real Life Aggie » May 12th, 2021, 11:04 am

nvspuds wrote:
May 12th, 2021, 10:37 am
Maybe Odom could roll with the whole "Logan has the best ice cream in Utah" pitch to emphasize a unigue trait..
That better not be tongue-in-cheek, spuds, because it's true. I won't hear any damnable slander of the West's best collegiate creamery. I don't mess around when it comes to ice cream.

:cheers:
These users thanked the author Real Life Aggie for the post (total 3):
ereksonaggienvspudsAgSpaceCase

Locked Previous topicNext topic