Norbert Thelissen

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
flying_scotsman2.0

Re: Norbert Thelissen

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » May 9th, 2021, 2:48 pm

cval wrote:
May 9th, 2021, 2:31 pm
There are not many academic scholarships that include R&B, books and full cost of attendance stipend like athletic scholarships do.

Athletic scholarships are about the best available.
Yeah, I was on the presidential scholarship, which was the highest scholarship advertised out of high school and it just covered tuition and fees for 4 years.
These users thanked the author flying_scotsman2.0 for the post (total 2):
aggieguy13Aggie formerly in Hawaii

ususports

Post by ususports » May 9th, 2021, 2:57 pm

flying_scotsman2.0 wrote:
May 9th, 2021, 2:48 pm
cval wrote:
There are not many academic scholarships that include R&B, books and full cost of attendance stipend like athletic scholarships do.

Yeah, I was on the presidential scholarship, which was the highest scholarship advertised out of high school and it just covered tuition and fees for 4 years.
I was on the fund my own college scholarship. Yours sounds better.
These users thanked the author ususports for the post (total 3):
BLUERUFiOnswaggieflying_scotsman2.0

flying_scotsman2.0

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » May 9th, 2021, 4:14 pm

ususports wrote:
May 9th, 2021, 2:57 pm
cval wrote:

Haha, I have since funded A LOT of college. Sorry if I came off like a ****. I was just putting it out there for comparison. Pretty sure athletics scholarship is much better than any athletics scholarships.
These users thanked the author flying_scotsman2.0 for the post:
Aggie formerly in Hawaii

ususports

Post by ususports » May 9th, 2021, 5:26 pm

May 9th, 2021, 4:14 pm
ususports wrote:
May 9th, 2021, 2:57 pm
cval wrote:

Haha, I have since funded A LOT of college. Sorry if I came off like a ****. I was just putting it out there for comparison. Pretty sure athletics scholarship is much better than any athletics scholarships.
:cheers: Your comment didn’t bother me at all. Just having fun with my post.
These users thanked the author ususports for the post (total 2):
flying_scotsman2.0nswaggie

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » May 9th, 2021, 7:32 pm

Thelissen is going to be pretty dang old for a Freshman. Currently 21.
These users thanked the author ineptimusprime for the post:
aggies22

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » May 9th, 2021, 7:46 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:
May 9th, 2021, 7:32 pm
Yep, he will be a very mature freshman. He will be like a returned missionary in terms of maturity.

nswaggie

Post by nswaggie » May 9th, 2021, 8:06 pm

Aggie84025 wrote:
May 9th, 2021, 7:46 pm
ineptimusprime wrote:
May 9th, 2021, 7:32 pm
Yep, he will be a very mature freshman. He will be like a returned missionary in terms of maturity.
Plus I’m guessing he has been perfecting his craft and staying in shape. An RM usually comes back pretty rusty.
These users thanked the author nswaggie for the post (total 2):
Aggie84025flying_scotsman2.0

scotlandog

Post by scotlandog » May 9th, 2021, 8:38 pm

newhouse9 wrote:I thought Doris was on academic scholarship? I'm probably wrong.
The rumor was that Smith put Dorious on athletic scholly days before he left. I’m not sure if that commitment was honored by the new staff and if there is some formal process that must happen before one officially gets an athletic scholarship. As others have said, you can’t be athletic and then go to another type of scholly. So if he got it, he has it or he must leave I guess. If he never got it, maybe he agreed to stay on academic. I don’t think we know for sure yet but it could explain this whole 14=13 dilemma.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SSaggie

Post by SSaggie » May 9th, 2021, 10:01 pm

What was the original source of Dorius getting an athletic scholarship?

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

GeorgiaAggie

Post by GeorgiaAggie » May 10th, 2021, 7:04 am

SSaggie wrote:
May 9th, 2021, 10:01 pm

Here's my hypothetical. Coach Smith puts Dorius on athletic scholarship. He does so in the middle of the semester so I presume it will start with the next school session (summer?). Coach Smith leaves and Coach Odom is hired before the next session of school starts. Coach Odom looks at all his options to build the team. He quickly realizes that there is essentially a free scholarship available. He calls Dorius into his office and they resolve the issue of Dorius staying on an academic scholarship. Therefore 13 does indeed equal 14. Or something like that.

Blitz79

Post by Blitz79 » May 10th, 2021, 7:23 am

And risk pissing off the only real size that we have left on the team? I don't think so. Bad theory.

But hey, maybe Dorius is the one that is gone.

GeorgiaAggie

Post by GeorgiaAggie » May 10th, 2021, 7:56 am

Blitz79 wrote:
May 10th, 2021, 7:23 am
And risk pissing off the only real size that we have left on the team? I don't think so. Bad theory.

But hey, maybe Dorius is the one that is gone.
I don't know why he would be mad if he is getting his education 100% paid for either way. I never understood why Smith put him on athletic scholarship in the first place. It's a free education regardless. You can still be vital to the team and have an alternative source of funding for your education. It doesn't diminish your importance or your value. I'm sure Dorius saw the guys who departed, and would be willing to help the team out, to make it the best it could be. But once again, it is a hypothetical on my part but maybe you know best.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » May 10th, 2021, 8:00 am

I like the Dorius theory, but I don’t think it’s the answer.

Odom mentioned in his recent interview that we had 4 open scholarships and had filled 3 of them. Had Dorius not been given a scholarship, we would have had 5 at the time of that interview. I suppose Dorius could have been talked into not taking a scholarship since then, but that doesn’t sound like an Odom move.

My guess is that someone else is leaving, Potter isn’t coming, or there is some sort of issue with Hamoda’s eligibility/getting a visa/we’ve decided to stash him at a JC for a year. Just guesses.

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » May 10th, 2021, 8:12 am

Here's some ute fans' comments from the interwebs when news broke that Thilessen hit the portal in early April:
This is a massive loss. No bones about it. I expected Timmy & Fons to be gone, but this dude was the big addition for the next year. Losing him is a gargantuan hole. Not sure if they can reel him back in, but that's something they need to look at doing immediately.
It is far too early in the process to call this a huge loss, but I was very excited about Bert. A really versatile swingman with nice athleticism and game ready skills. Pretty sure that Smith still has something else up his sleeve, but I'm bummed about this for now.
Little bummed we never even got to see Norbert Thelissen. Thought he was a pretty well-rounded player and could help this team out.
These users thanked the author Roy McAvoy for the post (total 3):
BLUERUFiOaggies22AggieArmy

Real Life Aggie

Post by Real Life Aggie » May 10th, 2021, 8:22 am

Roy McAvoy wrote:
May 10th, 2021, 8:12 am
Here's some ute fans' comments from the interwebs when news broke that Thilessen hit the portal in early April:
This is a massive loss. No bones about it. I expected Timmy & Fons to be gone, but this dude was the big addition for the next year. Losing him is a gargantuan hole. Not sure if they can reel him back in, but that's something they need to look at doing immediately.
It is far too early in the process to call this a huge loss, but I was very excited about Bert. A really versatile swingman with nice athleticism and game ready skills. Pretty sure that Smith still has something else up his sleeve, but I'm bummed about this for now.
Little bummed we never even got to see Norbert Thelissen. Thought he was a pretty well-rounded player and could help this team out.
These users thanked the author Real Life Aggie for the post (total 2):
aggieguy13Pacobag

frankiesaysrelax

Post by frankiesaysrelax » May 10th, 2021, 9:34 am

Has there been anything officially saying this guy has signed with USU yet? I just want this dude at USU and I'm hoping it has already been made official. If this has been mentioned already in another post, I apologize for my ignorance.

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » May 10th, 2021, 10:05 am

SSaggie wrote:

Me. But it was to be given by the old coaching staff. At this time I have no idea if that was followed through by them or the new staff.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post:
AggieArmy

Bank Shot

Post by Bank Shot » May 10th, 2021, 10:20 am

aggies22 wrote:
May 10th, 2021, 10:05 am
SSaggie wrote:

Me. But it was to be given by the old coaching staff. At this time I have no idea if that was followed through by them or the new staff.
Which goes back to the statement that Odom made about having 4 scholarships that indicates he was operating on the idea that Dorius status was being honored. He either backed tracked on that or someone else is leaving.

On another idea which was discussed about how many we might have for 2022-23, I tend to think this will be Bean and Miller's last year. Both are RMs and are probably ready to move on with life. I really, really want next year to be a success if for no other reason that those two young men can go out on a high note.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » May 10th, 2021, 10:27 am

frankiesaysrelax wrote:
May 10th, 2021, 9:34 am
Has there been anything officially saying this guy has signed with USU yet? I just want this dude at USU and I'm hoping it has already been made official. If this has been mentioned already in another post, I apologize for my ignorance.
The sourcing on both Thelissen and Jones joining the team is VERY solid. There may be another shoe to drop before they can be announced. Keep an eye out on the VerbalCommits twitter account. They’ll report it if one of our current players hits the portal.

If that doesn’t happen, assume Potter is out. It’s totally possible with all the scholarships open at the U, that Smith would want Potter, and Potter would follow Smith there.

Sl7vk

Post by Sl7vk » May 10th, 2021, 10:33 am

This Utah/Utah State merry go round is getting weird.
These users thanked the author Sl7vk for the post (total 4):
ViAggieReal Life AggiecrazywookieUSU78

OrangeCountyAggie

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » May 10th, 2021, 12:19 pm

GeorgiaAggie wrote:
May 10th, 2021, 7:04 am
SSaggie wrote:

Here's my hypothetical. Coach Smith puts Dorius on athletic scholarship. He does so in the middle of the semester so I presume it will start with the next school session (summer?). Coach Smith leaves and Coach Odom is hired before the next session of school starts. Coach Odom looks at all his options to build the team. He quickly realizes that there is essentially a free scholarship available. He calls Dorius into his office and they resolve the issue of Dorius staying on an academic scholarship. Therefore 13 does indeed equal 14. Or something like that.
Probably because Smith didn't want to get off his a** and actually go recruit someone to fill that scholarship. He was looking at his numbers and was like "what do I do with all of these scholarships? Hey, Trevin do you want some free meals to go along with your free tuition?"
These users thanked the author OrangeCountyAggie for the post (total 2):
flying_scotsman2.0TrueAggieman

stang

Post by stang » May 10th, 2021, 12:32 pm

OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
May 10th, 2021, 12:19 pm
GeorgiaAggie wrote:
SSaggie wrote:

Probably because Smith didn't want to get off his a** and actually go recruit someone to fill that scholarship. He was looking at his numbers and was like "what do I do with all of these scholarships? Hey, Trevin do you want some free meals to go along with your free tuition?"
The saltiness is unbelievable.

flying_scotsman2.0

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » May 10th, 2021, 1:07 pm

stang wrote:
May 10th, 2021, 12:32 pm
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
GeorgiaAggie wrote:
SSaggie wrote:

I am still salty about Smith going to Utah, but it's fair to say his results as a recruiter were mixed. I don't think it's unreasonable to say he was lazy about it from a fans perspective. I think I've heard more about recruiting in the last month than I did in Smith's entire tenure here. But who knows really? He got Queta here. But the perspective of him being a lazy recruiter seems valid.
OrangeCountyAggie

Aggie702

Post by Aggie702 » May 10th, 2021, 1:25 pm

May 10th, 2021, 1:07 pm
stang wrote:
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
GeorgiaAggie wrote:
SSaggie wrote:

I am still salty about Smith going to Utah, but it's fair to say his results as a recruiter were mixed. I don't think it's unreasonable to say he was lazy about it from a fans perspective. I think I've heard more about recruiting in the last month than I did in Smith's entire tenure here. But who knows really? He got Queta here. But the perspective of him being a lazy recruiter seems valid.
I have no inside info either way, but so far his recruits to Utah have been two of his former guys here (who already knew him), plus a UNLV guy (that he presumably knew via the conference) and some random Cincinnati guy. I'm guessing the guys he has brought in so far probably aren't that exciting to Ute fans. The exodus of players from Utah has been more substantial then players leaving USU for other schools - which implies Smith hasn't been able to re-recruit them to stay at Utah (assuming he wanted them too) or even get a player like Norbert to keep his commitment.

I like Rollie (I think he'll do fine at Utah) and Marco, but Utah fans are probably thinking "that's it" while we have been pretty excited with what Odom has done so far. Time will tell though, and Smith can still bring in a couple more players - but there is at least some evidence that recruiting isn't Smith's strong point. Is that lack of effort, or lack of acumen? I have no idea.
Last edited by Aggie702 on May 10th, 2021, 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author Aggie702 for the post (total 2):
OrangeCountyAggieflying_scotsman2.0

OrangeCountyAggie

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » May 10th, 2021, 1:46 pm

Aggie702 wrote:
May 10th, 2021, 1:25 pm
May 10th, 2021, 1:07 pm
stang wrote:
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
GeorgiaAggie wrote:
SSaggie wrote:

I have no inside info either way, but so far his biggest recruits to Utah have been two of his former guys here, plus a UNLV guy (that he presumably knew via the conference) and some random Cincinnati guy. I'm guessing the guys he has brought in so far probably aren't that exciting to Ute fans. The exodus of players from Utah has been more substantial then players leaving USU for other schools - which implies Smith hasn't been able to re-recruit them to stay at Utah or even get a player like Norbert to keep his commitment (assuming he wanted them too).

I like Rollie (I think he'll do fine at Utah) and Marco, but Utah fans are probably thinking "that's it" while we have been pretty excited with what Odom has done so far. Time will tell though, and Smith can still bring in a couple more players - but there is at least some evidence that recruiting isn't Smith's strong point. Is that lack of effort, or lack of acumen? I have no idea.
No doubt he's a great motivator and can coach everything out of a player (assuming they fit Smith's, um.. "culture"), but with that much charisma and rambunctious personality, I find it weird he struggles with recruiting. I bet Ute fans can't be all that happy with him right now!
Last edited by OrangeCountyAggie on May 10th, 2021, 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Real Life Aggie

Post by Real Life Aggie » May 10th, 2021, 1:49 pm

This year, being a transition year, might be a bit off. But next year, Coach Smith will start getting those sweet P5 easy recruits... should make up for his lackluster recruiting. Then he can dominate with this coaching and motivating.

OrangeCountyAggie

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » May 10th, 2021, 1:59 pm

Real Life Aggie wrote:
May 10th, 2021, 1:49 pm
This year, being a transition year, might be a bit off. But next year, Coach Smith will start getting those sweet P5 easy recruits... should make up for his lackluster recruiting. Then he can dominate with this coaching and motivating.
Maybe. But had Smith stayed I would have been pessimistic about him being able to keep all of our guys and recruit new high-level talent. Pope (who has a similar style) might be a good case study. YBU is experiencing a mass exodus of talent and are currently struggling to fill those holes with significant talent. Pope was able to succeed with his UVU guys and Rose's leftovers. Now that he has to actually go and recruit, different story. That "ra, ra," high-octane style works great on gameday but does it translate to long-term program building :noidea:

flying_scotsman2.0

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » May 10th, 2021, 2:23 pm

Real Life Aggie wrote:
I don’t think the U will ever get any of this sweet P5 easy recruits outside of Utah. They’ll be a top choice for kids in-state, but if I’m from another state I’m heading to a California school, Washington, Oregon, or Arizona before I go to Utah. I would put Utah above WSU and OSU in the PAC12 in terms of desirability for a recruit.
ViAggie

nswaggie

Post by nswaggie » May 10th, 2021, 4:56 pm

OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
May 10th, 2021, 1:59 pm
Real Life Aggie wrote:
Maybe. But had Smith stayed I would have been pessimistic about him being able to keep all of our guys and recruit new high-level talent. Pope (who has a similar style) might be a good case study. YBU is experiencing a mass exodus of talent and are currently struggling to fill those holes with significant talent. Pope was able to succeed with his UVU guys and Rose's leftovers. Now that he has to actually go and recruit, different story. That "ra, ra," high-octane style works great on gameday but does it translate to long-term program building :noidea:

Pope patched together a good team last year. I don’t pay much attention but he did get the grad transfer from Purdue last year and beat out some really good schools to land him. Maybe he is striking out this year but he was really good in the portal last year.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » May 10th, 2021, 4:58 pm

nswaggie wrote:
May 10th, 2021, 4:56 pm
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
Real Life Aggie wrote:

Pope patched together a good team last year. I don’t pay much attention but he did get the grad transfer from Purdue last year and beat out some really good schools to land him. Maybe he is striking out this year but he was really good in the portal last year.
The best get he has gotten is Caleb Lohner.

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » May 10th, 2021, 5:41 pm

slcagg wrote:
May 10th, 2021, 4:58 pm
nswaggie wrote:
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
Real Life Aggie wrote:

The best get he has gotten is Caleb Lohner.
Yup. He got him to enter his name in the portal and then got him to sign.
These users thanked the author hipsterdoofus21 for the post:
slcagg

OrangeCountyAggie

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » May 10th, 2021, 6:39 pm

nswaggie wrote:
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
Real Life Aggie wrote:

Harms is the exception that proves the rule. BTW that dude played their one year, realized how lame Provo is, and peaced out (in contrast, Neeme stayed for multiple years and only left when the NBA called). Same thing with Smith; when talking about how good a recruiter Smith supposedly is, the talking heads ONLY mention Queta. Everyone else has been meh so far (unless I'm forgetting someone awesome at South Dakota).

3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff

Post by 3rdGenAggie » May 10th, 2021, 7:15 pm

OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
May 10th, 2021, 6:39 pm
nswaggie wrote:
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
Real Life Aggie wrote:

Harms is the exception that proves the rule. BTW that dude played their one year, realized how lame Provo is, and peaced out (in contrast, Neeme stayed for multiple years and only left when the NBA called). Same thing with Smith; when talking about how good a recruiter Smith supposedly is, the talking heads ONLY mention Queta. Everyone else has been meh so far (unless I'm forgetting someone awesome at South Dakota).
Matt Mooney was really good at SD. Ended up transferring to TTU after Smith left SD and played for a Natty.

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

Dkdavis

Post by Dkdavis » May 10th, 2021, 7:50 pm

OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
nswaggie wrote:
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
Real Life Aggie wrote:

Some of the biggest factors to Queta coming to USU were obviously Peterson working his butt off to get him eligible and that we had Brito and Quinn Taylor. Culture shock is a real thing. It can be hard to get along with people who have a different culture, and to be able to say hey, Queta, we got a Portugal native and someone who speaks it fluently and has lived there for two years on our team had to of weighed pretty heavily on Queta's decision. I guess what I'm getting at is you can't give Smith 100% credit for snagging Queta. Still though snagging Queta was a pretty big deal for a school like USU. How many players have we had go to the NBA? (Rhetorical question).

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » May 10th, 2021, 8:05 pm

Dkdavis wrote:
May 10th, 2021, 7:50 pm
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
nswaggie wrote:
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
Real Life Aggie wrote:

Some of the biggest factors to Queta coming to USU were obviously Peterson working his butt off to get him eligible and that we had Brito and Quinn Taylor. Culture shock is a real thing. It can be hard to get along with people who have a different culture, and to be able to say hey, Queta, we got a Portugal native and someone who speaks it fluently and has lived there for two years on our team had to of weighed pretty heavily on Queta's decision. I guess what I'm getting at is you can't give Smith 100% credit for snagging Queta. Still though snagging Queta was a pretty big deal for a school like USU. How many players have we had go to the NBA? (Rhetorical question).
I thought it was the ad USU ran in the paper:

Eutaw St. Aggie

Locked Previous topicNext topic