Conference re-alignment rumors now in full swing

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
nvspuds

Re: Conference re-alignment rumors now in full swing

Post by nvspuds » May 6th, 2021, 5:46 pm

CSU, BSU, SDSU, UNLV to the AAC

Hawaii and AFA to independence..

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » May 6th, 2021, 8:32 pm

Like dogs to their own vomit, the Boazy bunch and the suckdogs spend every spring and summer whining.
These users thanked the author USU78 for the post:
Intermeddler

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

BobWilson

Post by BobWilson » May 9th, 2021, 8:21 pm

As a faculty member at a Pac-12 university for 45 years, I can attest to the academic expectations of member and prospective member schools among not only the administrations (presidents) but among the faculties as well. UU with its law and medical schools and research programs was a hard sell. The only thing that could alter this attitude is some sure-fire financial incentive. I don't see such an incentive from any current MWC school with the possible exception of SDSU but who would be the partner? it was first Arizona and Arizona State the, many years later Utah and Colorado. the Pac-12 seems to do everything in pairs with decades between. Should even a semi-lock-down continue another year, the Pac-12 would be in dire straits compared to the other major conferences who will be at full-speed it appears. The ultimate factor in conference alignments in the west may be left-coast politics.

Slim80

Post by Slim80 » May 9th, 2021, 10:11 pm

Im not worried about teams leaving due to a P5’s invite. I have a really hard time seeing the P5’s expanding beyond what they are already. They are already the kings, why would they want to invite more people to the table for a share? The thing I see happening is the G5’s realigning and constantly jockeying for position as the top G5. The MWC needs to constantly be on their game to make sure we aren’t left out. Even this will not make a P6, the larger P5’s won’t let it happen. If anything, the P5’s might widdle themselves down to only a select few, think 1990’s football conferences.

One more thing- Hell no to ybu joining any conference we are part of! I don’t care how much sense it makes, they are snakes and we will get bit. Anything that helps ybu only makes things more difficult for USU. The cons outweigh any pros of being in the same conference with those class acts.
These users thanked the author Slim80 for the post:
aggies22

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » May 10th, 2021, 12:23 am

BobWilson wrote:
May 9th, 2021, 8:21 pm
As a faculty member at a Pac-12 university for 45 years, I can attest to the academic expectations of member and prospective member schools among not only the administrations (presidents) but among the faculties as well. UU with its law and medical schools and research programs was a hard sell. The only thing that could alter this attitude is some sure-fire financial incentive. I don't see such an incentive from any current MWC school with the possible exception of SDSU but who would be the partner? it was first Arizona and Arizona State the, many years later Utah and Colorado. the Pac-12 seems to do everything in pairs with decades between. Should even a semi-lock-down continue another year, the Pac-12 would be in dire straits compared to the other major conferences who will be at full-speed it appears. The ultimate factor in conference alignments in the west may be left-coast politics.
I can't imagine the UC schools and USC and Stanford going for a lowly Cal State school in the mighty PAC 12. That would be way too low brow for them, even if it was SDSU.
These users thanked the author Yossarian for the post:
ViAggie

Eutaw St. Aggie

Dkdavis

Post by Dkdavis » May 10th, 2021, 6:12 am

Slim80 wrote:
May 9th, 2021, 10:11 pm

One more thing- Hell no to ybu joining any conference we are part of! I don’t care how much sense it makes, they are snakes and we will get bit. Anything that helps ybu only makes things more difficult for USU. The cons outweigh any pros of being in the same conference with those class acts.
Why? Because we always lose to them? I would love to see BYU be forced to come to the spectrum every year. My favorite part about college basketball is the energy in the arena. And let’s be honest that energy is in full swing every time BYU or Utah come to town.
These users thanked the author Dkdavis for the post:
2004AG

bwcrc

Post by bwcrc » May 10th, 2021, 7:02 am

Dkdavis wrote:
May 10th, 2021, 6:12 am
Slim80 wrote:

Why? Because we always lose to them? I would love to see BYU be forced to come to the spectrum every year. My favorite part about college basketball is the energy in the arena. And let’s be honest that energy is in full swing every time BYU or Utah come to town.
Not wanting to be in the same conference with ybu has nothing to do with what happens on the court or on the field. We are competitive with them and have a reasonable expectation to beat them every time we face them, no matter the sport (which wasn't necessarily the case when I was a student). The disdain of being in the same conference with ybu is the prima donna status that is multiple times what Boise is and ybu taking even more drastic steps to blow up conferences for its own benefit while leaving others behind in the messy wake.

Yes, there are probably financial and strength of schedule advantages of bringing in ybu, as well as significant bragging rights when we continually beat them. But the additional baggage is probably not worth the benefits. The only way I could probably be persuaded is if the TV contract significantly improve (unlikely), the MWC has a strong commissioner (it currently doesn't), there is a level financial field (there isn't), and there are significant financial and scheduling penalties imposed on any conference mate leaving the conference.
These users thanked the author bwcrc for the post (total 2):
flying_scotsman2.0aggies22

Sl7vk

Post by Sl7vk » May 10th, 2021, 7:58 am

Dkdavis wrote:
Slim80 wrote:

Why? Go research the foundation of the WAC and how BYU did everything possible to undercut the strongest football program in the State, and one of the strongest in the West. And guess what, they were successful. USU football has never been the same since BYU single handedly locked us out of the WAC.

Now you might say that was a long time ago, but I would argue they haven't changed one bit. If you choose to make your bed with them, you'll get what you deserve.

I'd simply prefer to lock them out this go round, because what's good for the goose is good for the gander.
These users thanked the author Sl7vk for the post (total 5):
Aggie84025ViAggieaggies22Aggie19Slim80

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » May 10th, 2021, 10:38 am

I can't find anything recent from the local news down here in these parts about SDSU leaving the MWC, except for one article from January where the school AD said the rumor was a non-story and been there, done that: https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sp ... ntain-west

“A nonstory,” Athletic Director John David Wicker said. “It’s one sentence in an article.

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

gomretat

Post by gomretat » May 10th, 2021, 11:42 am

Sl7vk wrote:
May 10th, 2021, 7:58 am
Dkdavis wrote:
Slim80 wrote:

Why? Go research the foundation of the WAC and how BYU did everything possible to undercut the strongest football program in the State, and one of the strongest in the West. And guess what, they were successful. USU football has never been the same since BYU single handedly locked us out of the WAC.

Now you might say that was a long time ago, but I would argue they haven't changed one bit. If you choose to make your bed with them, you'll get what you deserve.

I'd simply prefer to lock them out this go round, because what's good for the goose is good for the gander.
I think being in a conference with BYU is good financially and for the conference reputation. However, I still would prefer to never be in a conference with them because of how I feel about their fans and the image they try and portray as a school. As for the history, my read is that Utah was a bigger block than BYU in terms of making us the little brother when it came to the WAC and MWC. I also believe that things have changed in Provo (I still don't want to be in a conference with them) and that Holmoe appreciates USU and realizes that the USU relationship has been good for the Cougies.

Mr. Sneelock

Post by Mr. Sneelock » May 11th, 2021, 12:46 pm

There would undeniably be some benefit to being in the same conference with BYU. I don't care. The negatives outweigh the positives for me.
These users thanked the author Mr. Sneelock for the post (total 2):
3rdGenAggieAglicious

Formerly TulsAGGIE

SeattleAg

Post by SeattleAg » May 11th, 2021, 2:41 pm

Yossarian wrote:
May 10th, 2021, 12:23 am
BobWilson wrote:
May 9th, 2021, 8:21 pm
I can't imagine the UC schools and USC and Stanford going for a lowly Cal State school in the mighty PAC 12. That would be way too low brow for them, even if it was SDSU.
I don't even think it's "left coast politics." Realistically, what universities in the West fit the PAC-12 parameters? Maybe Texas, which is why they were in talks several years ago. But no Cal St school will ever be invited. No religious school will ever be invited. (Seriously, anyone who thinks that Berkeley, UW, etc will tolerate BYU for even three seconds is delusional.) No glorified trucking school will ever be invited. Utah is only in because there are no other viable options. Honestly, schools like Oregon St and ASU are lucky to be in now, because I doubt they get a second look in this era. There just aren't enough major, prestigious schools in the spread out West, and no convincing reason to go with any second tier institutions. Utah won the lottery, but I suspect they are thoroughly looked down upon. The whole of the intermountain west, aside from maybe Denver, is viewed with great suspicion.

Locked Previous topicNext topic