New guy (Muzamil Ameer Hamoda)

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
SeldomSeenSmith

Re: New guy (Muzamil Ameer Hamoda)

Post by SeldomSeenSmith » April 25th, 2021, 9:49 am

2 universities and 2 JCs in a year. He gets around. He's going to love the transfer portal. Weber State offered according to Verbal Commits. Looks like he lost a year of eligibility already though.

"2021 Clarendon College (TX) F/C Nigel John has received an offer from Weber State. Qualifier w/three years to play. @NigelJohn_NJK"

jackattack

Post by jackattack » April 25th, 2021, 10:00 am

ineptimusprime wrote:
April 24th, 2021, 9:52 pm
aggies22 wrote:
April 24th, 2021, 9:42 pm
mcaggie1 wrote:
April 24th, 2021, 5:55 pm
Can we stop talking about Nigel John? We don’t need a big guy that left us to go to a weaker program in a weaker league, and put up unimpressive statistics. I’d rather have Akin, and I really don’t think he is the answer either.
There are a bunch of 3* PF’s in the portal that would be the answer to what we need.
Nigel went to a junior college and he's glad he did. He believes it has helped him grow and develop as a player and a student. And guess what? He is still VERY interested in Utah State.
I understand why Nigel would be interested in USU, but I don’t think he plays a position of need (unless someone is leaving).
Not sure if “a position of need” is what you mean here. If there’s someone better, we should recruit them. Doesn’t matter if we think we’re set with a position.

I have other thoughts on this “position” idea. The NBA continues to move in the direction of “positionless” basketball. Well ran NBA teams continue to target and draft long, athletic wings who are SMART, (they make the right play at the right time), can guard multiple positions and can hit the occasional three. There’s constant innovation in the NBA, while the college game seems to be falling behind in that area. Except for Aggie bball, which I watch religiously, I find the college game quite antiquated. Off track, but I’ve been thinking about this issue a lot!

As a side note, maybe Zee could be a nice player but I don’t really see anything to convince me of that in these clips. Is there any video of him playing on his national team? I haven’t seen anything.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » April 25th, 2021, 10:20 am

jackattack wrote:
April 25th, 2021, 10:00 am
ineptimusprime wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
mcaggie1 wrote:
Can we stop talking about Nigel John? We don’t need a big guy that left us to go to a weaker program in a weaker league, and put up unimpressive statistics. I’d rather have Akin, and I really don’t think he is the answer either.
There are a bunch of 3* PF’s in the portal that would be the answer to what we need.
Nigel went to a junior college and he's glad he did. He believes it has helped him grow and develop as a player and a student. And guess what? He is still VERY interested in Utah State.
I understand why Nigel would be interested in USU, but I don’t think he plays a position of need (unless someone is leaving).
Not sure if “a position of need” is what you mean here. If there’s someone better, we should recruit them. Doesn’t matter if we think we’re set with a position.

I have other thoughts on this “position” idea. The NBA continues to move in the direction of “positionless” basketball. Well ran NBA teams continue to target and draft long, athletic wings who are SMART, (they make the right play at the right time), can guard multiple positions and can hit the occasional three. There’s constant innovation in the NBA, while the college game seems to be falling behind in that area. Except for Aggie bball, which I watch religiously, I find the college game quite antiquated. Off track, but I’ve been thinking about this issue a lot!

As a side note, maybe Zee could be a nice player but I don’t really see anything to convince me of that in these clips. Is there any video of him playing on his national team? I haven’t seen anything.
I agree we should recruit over guys on the roster that are unlikely to contribute.

Neither Nigel nor Daniel Akin who we are also rumored to be recruiting are “positionless” type adds, i.e., guys with some length that can play switches on defense and can hit the three. Both are traditional post players.

If Odom were willing to counsel a few guys out, I’d have no problem with adding an Akin or John. The reason I say it’s not a position of need is that we have people to fill those spots already, Coach hasn’t expressed a desire to counsel anyone out, and we have much more pressing needs at the 1 and 3 spots.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » April 25th, 2021, 10:37 am

jackattack wrote:
ineptimusprime wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
mcaggie1 wrote:

I also think we are beginning to see a slight trend away from the “positionless” switch-hunting style that the Harden Houston Rockets were famous for. The Jazz and Suns (first place teams in the West) both start true 5s and have guys playing pretty well-defined positions.

mcaggie1

Post by mcaggie1 » April 25th, 2021, 10:41 am

aggies22 wrote:
mcaggie1 wrote:
Sorry...I heard wrong then. But I still am not sure John is the guy.

jackattack

Post by jackattack » April 25th, 2021, 3:47 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:
April 25th, 2021, 10:37 am
jackattack wrote:
ineptimusprime wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
mcaggie1 wrote:

I also think we are beginning to see a slight trend away from the “positionless” switch-hunting style that the Harden Houston Rockets were famous for. The Jazz and Suns (first place teams in the West) both start true 5s and have guys playing pretty well-defined positions.
Even if a guy is going to "contribute", if there is someone better, and we think we have the resources to recruit him, then we should try to recruit him. Let the other player use the transfer portal if he wants. It'd would be lazy for us to just recruit only positions we "need". I think we should be FOCUSING on positions we need, but if we think we have a shot at a better player, we should go for it.

For example, I LOVE Bean. But man, I cringe every time he shoots a three. I don't think he should be starting because of it. Shouldn't we try to find someone who can do the same things he can, or possibly just a hair worse, but can shoot as well? Ashworth is the same way. Great role player, but will never have the size or athleticism to be starter in the MWC. We keep acknowledging that we need more size and athleticism and shooting on our team. Why not look for and recruit guys who are better than who we have now? To think we are "set" at any position is not really the goal here. We should be recruiting to get better. Period.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » April 25th, 2021, 3:54 pm

jackattack wrote:
April 25th, 2021, 3:47 pm
ineptimusprime wrote:
April 25th, 2021, 10:37 am
jackattack wrote:
ineptimusprime wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
mcaggie1 wrote:

Even if a guy is going to "contribute", if there is someone better, and we think we have the resources to recruit him, then we should try to recruit him. Let the other player use the transfer portal if he wants. It'd would be lazy for us to just recruit only positions we "need". I think we should be FOCUSING on positions we need, but if we think we have a shot at a better player, we should go for it.

For example, I LOVE Bean. But man, I cringe every time he shoots a three. I don't think he should be starting because of it. Shouldn't we try to find someone who can do the same things he can, or possibly just a hair worse, but can shoot as well? Ashworth is the same way. Great role player, but will never have the size or athleticism to be starter in the MWC. We keep acknowledging that we need more size and athleticism and shooting on our team. Why not look for and recruit guys who are better than who we have now? To think we are "set" at any position is not really the goal here. We should be recruiting to get better. Period.
Yes, I agree with you. I would go one stop further and say that I believe our team would be better off if a certain player or two currently on the roster left. But I am operating on the assumption that Odom is not going to be counseling anyone out based on his comments at his intro press conference. With that being the case, we REALLY need another guard.

But if Odom thinks Akin (or anyone) is better than who we currently have in a particular position, then I agree, he should tell someone to pack their bags. We are living in the post-loyalty world. It is basically unregulated free agency, and we should take advantage.
These users thanked the author ineptimusprime for the post:
jackattack

mcaggie1

Post by mcaggie1 » April 25th, 2021, 6:37 pm

We should counsel someone out and bring in two 6’9” athletic kids who can shoot and defend. Look more like Baylor.

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » April 25th, 2021, 6:39 pm

mcaggie1 wrote:
April 25th, 2021, 6:37 pm
We should counsel someone out and bring in two 6’9” athletic kids who can shoot and defend. Look more like Baylor.
They need need to be kids, but look and play like men and are no strangers to the weight room, like the Baylor guys.
These users thanked the author Yossarian for the post:
mcaggie1

Eutaw St. Aggie

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » April 25th, 2021, 6:40 pm

mcaggie1 wrote:
April 25th, 2021, 6:37 pm
At this point I’d take a 6’1” guy that is athletic & can shoot & defend.
These users thanked the author Roy McAvoy for the post (total 2):
Real Life AggieAggieFBObsession

AGGIEinIOWA

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » April 25th, 2021, 6:57 pm

I agree. Let’s get a primary ball handler/distributor who is also a threat to score. We already have Bairstow and McBuckets who are lengthy athletes that I believe will be contributors.
These users thanked the author AGGIEinIOWA for the post:
AggieFBObsession

SectionBAggie

Post by SectionBAggie » April 25th, 2021, 7:29 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:
April 25th, 2021, 10:20 am
I agree we should recruit over guys on the roster that are unlikely to contribute.
I recently had a long conversation with a friend who worked as the compliance staff member for a DI university. I asked him about the well-used phrase that scholarships are a one-year renewable at the discretion of the coach thing. His answer surprised me.

According to hin, it is common to "counsel out" players. And there are many circumstances where a scholarship can be pulled for cause - grades, behavior, etc.

But according to him (and I trust him a lot more than myself in the matter) the NCAA very carefully states that schools cannot pull a scholarship due to the lack of talent in the player.

I am certain that plenty of avenues have been used through the years to move on with regards to a player, but (his words - not mine) abilities on the court are not allowable cause to revoke a scholarship.
These users thanked the author SectionBAggie for the post (total 2):
aggies22AggieFBObsession

cval

Post by cval » April 25th, 2021, 7:44 pm

The Burrel (sp) that Stew counseled out who transferred to UVU would be interested in that. He was, by all accounts, a model citizen and good student, and was very unhappy about being let go.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » April 25th, 2021, 7:47 pm

cval wrote:
April 25th, 2021, 7:44 pm
The Burrel (sp) that Stew counseled out who transferred to UVU would be interested in that. He was, by all accounts, a model citizen and good student, and was very unhappy about being let go.
Bruneel? Is that who you are referring to?

cval

Post by cval » April 25th, 2021, 7:49 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:
April 25th, 2021, 7:47 pm
cval wrote:
April 25th, 2021, 7:44 pm
Bruneel? Is that who you are referring to?
Yup. I knew Burrel didn’t look right.

I am an Aggie Man

Post by I am an Aggie Man » April 26th, 2021, 1:06 pm

Could be a Queta-level steal, though I highly doubt he could be as effective year one as Queta was. But that athleticism on the wing is something that's really hard to land at a program like ours.

Looking at his most recent action (that I can find stats for), he averaged 23.0 points, 13.0 rebounds, 3.6 assists, 4.4 steals and 2.6 blocks in five games of an Asian FIBA tournament in late 2019. He shot 69% overall and 42.9% from three, though just 40% on FTs (8/20).

Should note that those numbers are a BIG improvement over a previous FIBA tournament (which happened in 2018) where he averaged 9.4 points, 5.4 rebounds, 1.7 assists and less than a block and steal per game in seven outings. He shot 35.2% overall and 23.3% from three in that tourney. He actually played more minutes per game in the 2018 event than the 2019 one so he clearly improved and earned a bigger role on the team.

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » April 26th, 2021, 1:19 pm

Judging from his highlight reel, he's not selfish with the ball either, some nice passes.

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » April 26th, 2021, 2:05 pm

Sheikh and bake.
These users thanked the author Yossarian for the post (total 4):
aggieguy13AggieArmyReal Life Aggiedogie

Eutaw St. Aggie

Real Life Aggie

Post by Real Life Aggie » April 26th, 2021, 3:13 pm

Yossarian wrote:
April 26th, 2021, 2:05 pm
Sheikh and bake.
I hear his game is quite exciting... Not Bahraing at all.
These users thanked the author Real Life Aggie for the post:
aggieguy13

NewUSUfan

Post by NewUSUfan » April 27th, 2021, 8:59 am

These users thanked the author NewUSUfan for the post:
crazywookie

Locked Previous topicNext topic