Updated 2022 Offer

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
SlumJum

Updated 2022 Offer

Post by SlumJum » April 21st, 2021, 8:26 pm

I believe the old staff had offered Collin as well. He's predicted to go to the U.

Roy McAvoy

Re: Updated 2022 Offer

Post by Roy McAvoy » April 21st, 2021, 8:34 pm

I hate to the be the bearer of bad news here but this is a waste of time & resources.

This kid is desperate to go to BYU or Utah & is being recruited by both. Not only that but the new coaching staff is way to the game here (through no fault of their own obviously).

He won’t be coming to Usu. Though I guess he could always transfer here in a few years. :noidea:

ChicagoAggie

Post by ChicagoAggie » April 21st, 2021, 8:37 pm

Roy McAvoy wrote:
April 21st, 2021, 8:34 pm
I hate to the be the bearer of bad news here but this is a waste of time & resources.

This kid is desperate to go to BYU or Utah & is being recruited by both. Not only that but the new coaching staff is way to the game here (through no fault of their own obviously).

He won’t be coming to Usu.
At least they are trying. Would rather them offer then take the stance he’ll never come here.
These users thanked the author ChicagoAggie for the post (total 2):
flying_scotsman2.0IdaAg93

AGGIEinIOWA

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » April 21st, 2021, 8:38 pm

Would be a great get if Odom could swing it considering he has a couple P5 offers. Would love to beat out the Utes for someone. I think this kid's game would match well with everythink I've heard Odom say about the uptempo style he wants to play. I think Odom's offense is more uptempo than Smith's.

Usu0505

Updated 2022 Offer

Post by Usu0505 » April 21st, 2021, 8:41 pm

ChicagoAggie wrote:
Roy McAvoy wrote:

At least they are trying. Would rather them offer then take the stance he’ll never come here.
I guess sometimes you just can’t win. No big time offers to anyone everyone gets nervous that Odom isn’t recruiting anyone good. Put out a big offer and they won’t come anyway so it’s pointless.

I actually think that’s what was wrong with smiths recruiting. He didn’t even try to land big time recruits. Instead he’d go after smaller gets, that happen to “fit” his type of player. He called it picky or selectivebut I like this offer. Even if we don’t get him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author Usu0505 for the post:
BustaMcNutt

jackattack

Post by jackattack » April 21st, 2021, 8:45 pm

There's nothing wrong with building bridges with this kid, especially if he doesn't like his playing situation wherever he goes. Definitely NOT a waste of time and/or resources IMO. The transfer portal makes recruiting a lot different on both the front AND back end of recruiting.
These users thanked the author jackattack for the post (total 3):
BLUERUFiOAggieFBObsessionAggiefan33

nswaggie

Post by nswaggie » April 21st, 2021, 8:48 pm

ChicagoAggie wrote:
April 21st, 2021, 8:37 pm
Roy McAvoy wrote:

Maybe the conversation goes better in a couple years if he is desperate to transfer out of Utah/Byu but wants to stay local. I don’t think it is ever wasted time to recruit a local kid, especially with the new transfer portal rules. I would probably spend a good portion of my time developing relationships with kids that may be a little out of reach and then plan on it paying off in the portal a few years later. Pretty sure that is how CS landed Marco.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » April 21st, 2021, 8:53 pm

nswaggie wrote:
April 21st, 2021, 8:48 pm
ChicagoAggie wrote:
Roy McAvoy wrote:

Maybe the conversation goes better in a couple years if he is desperate to transfer out of Utah/Byu but wants to stay local. I don’t think it is ever wasted time to recruit a local kid, especially with the new transfer portal rules. I would probably spend a good portion of my time developing relationships with kids that may be a little out of reach and then plan on it paying off in the portal a few years later. Pretty sure that is how CS landed Marco.
Not to mention the goodwill you build with guys who coach these kids, and who will coach others in the future.
These users thanked the author ineptimusprime for the post:
nswaggie

BLUERUFiO

Post by BLUERUFiO » April 21st, 2021, 8:54 pm

jackattack wrote:
April 21st, 2021, 8:45 pm
There's nothing wrong with building bridges with this kid, especially if he doesn't like his playing situation wherever he goes. Definitely NOT a waste of time and/or resources IMO. The transfer portal makes recruiting a lot different on both the front AND back end of recruiting.
This is a VERY important point.
These users thanked the author BLUERUFiO for the post:
ViAggie

GO AGGIES! GO AGGIES! HEY! HEY! HEY!

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » April 21st, 2021, 9:05 pm

Usu0505 wrote:
April 21st, 2021, 8:41 pm
ChicagoAggie wrote:
Roy McAvoy wrote:

I guess sometimes you just can’t win. No big time offers to anyone everyone gets nervous that Odom isn’t recruiting anyone good. Put out a big offer and they won’t come anyway so it’s pointless.

I actually think that’s what was wrong with smiths recruiting. He didn’t even try to land big time recruits. Instead he’d go after smaller gets, that happen to “fit” his type of player. He called it picky or selectivebut I like this offer. Even if we don’t get him.

I assume you’re referencing complaints I’ve made, knowingly or not, & there’s a big difference between this offer and what you claimed. It’s a straw man argument.

ChicagoAggie

Post by ChicagoAggie » April 21st, 2021, 9:17 pm

Roy McAvoy wrote:
April 21st, 2021, 9:05 pm
Usu0505 wrote:
ChicagoAggie wrote:
Roy McAvoy wrote:

I assume you’re referencing complaints I’ve made, knowingly or not, & there’s a big difference between this offer and what you claimed. It’s a straw man argument.
Not really! But you are the mighty Roy McAvoy. If/When he doesn’t choose Utah State you’ll make sure you tell everyone you said so, or you’ll take your toys and run away.

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » April 21st, 2021, 9:24 pm

ChicagoAggie wrote:
April 21st, 2021, 9:17 pm
Roy McAvoy wrote:
Usu0505 wrote:
ChicagoAggie wrote:
Roy McAvoy wrote:

Not really! But you are the mighty Roy McAvoy. If/When he doesn’t choose Utah State you’ll make sure you tell everyone you said so, or you’ll take your toys and run away.
Haha, yes that is me. And it’s different because those two things I mentioned go hand in hand, not contradicting. I’m a bit bummed we aren’t going out and going after some awesome talent that’s available in the portal that I think Usu could land, but we will go recruit this kid who is never picking usu in a million years .

ChicagoAggie

Post by ChicagoAggie » April 21st, 2021, 9:30 pm

Roy McAvoy wrote:
April 21st, 2021, 9:24 pm
ChicagoAggie wrote:
Roy McAvoy wrote:
Usu0505 wrote:
ChicagoAggie wrote:
Roy McAvoy wrote:

Haha, yes that is me. And it’s different because those two things I mentioned go hand in hand, not contradicting. I’m a bit bummed we aren’t going out and going after some awesome talent that’s available in the portal that I think Usu could land, but we will go recruit this kid who is never picking usu in a million years .
All joking aside. I think there is a strategy here. I would prefer our coaching staff make it known we are an option with the best local talent. I am not convinced that we aren’t exploring the transfer portal. But you may have more knowledge on that front and if you have definitive evidence you should say so. Smith kept his recruiting to his vest cause he didn’t want anyone knowing who he lost in recruiting battles. That was his strategy and no one liked that either.
Last edited by ChicagoAggie on April 21st, 2021, 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author ChicagoAggie for the post:
Roy McAvoy

SLB

Post by SLB » April 21st, 2021, 9:33 pm

In all seriousness, we let the process play out. Chandler is the one making the decision not the u, byu, Aggies, or etc. on where Chandler wants to go, and Odom offered Chandler. Let's wait and see where he lands
These users thanked the author SLB for the post (total 2):
Roy McAvoymcaggie1

SLB

Post by SLB » April 21st, 2021, 9:36 pm

I personally would not be surprised that we land some big name Utah recruits because of Merrill and Queta, and Odom is making the right move here. Chandler put a Sam Merrill picture in his tweet.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » April 21st, 2021, 9:48 pm

Roy McAvoy wrote:
April 21st, 2021, 9:24 pm
ChicagoAggie wrote:
Roy McAvoy wrote:
Usu0505 wrote:
ChicagoAggie wrote:
Roy McAvoy wrote:

This is a 2022 kid. We’ve got multiple coaches and support staff. They can multi-task.

I am confident they can and are hitting the portal right now. We have two spots to fill, and there is an overwhelming amount of talent in the portal. We’re gonna be fine.

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » April 21st, 2021, 10:02 pm

Speaking of Roy -- did I ever tell you how great that 12 was, Roy? Like the greatest of all time.

Eutaw St. Aggie

Intermeddler

Post by Intermeddler » April 21st, 2021, 11:19 pm

SLB wrote:
April 21st, 2021, 9:36 pm
I personally would not be surprised that we land some big name Utah recruits because of Merrill and Queta, and Odom is making the right move here. Chandler put a Sam Merrill picture in his tweet.
And if he’s a Jazz fan then Snyder’s statement about Odom is sure to seal the deal.

OrangeCountyAggie

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » April 21st, 2021, 11:43 pm

SLB wrote:
NBA draft pics help immensely. When was the last time YBU or Utah had anyone drafted? let alone two in a row.

OrangeCountyAggie

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » April 21st, 2021, 11:47 pm

Again, if everyone is focused on the transfer portal, we could swoop in and get some of these guys. Not to mention talented kids who were underscouted because of COVID.

LarryTheAggie

Post by LarryTheAggie » April 22nd, 2021, 5:10 am

OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
April 21st, 2021, 11:43 pm
SLB wrote:
NBA draft pics help immensely. When was the last time YBU or Utah had anyone drafted? let alone two in a row.
Not sure if serious.... :headscratch:

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » April 22nd, 2021, 6:26 am

jackattack wrote:
April 21st, 2021, 8:45 pm
Exactly. Just establishing rapport for the eventual transfer portal recruitment.

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » April 22nd, 2021, 6:29 am

The U and the Y may not be offering a chance to start from year 1.
These users thanked the author hipsterdoofus21 for the post:
mcaggie1

Blitz79

Post by Blitz79 » April 22nd, 2021, 7:23 am

LarryTheAggie wrote:
April 22nd, 2021, 5:10 am
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
SLB wrote:
LOL! Seriously, We get one guy drafted (with the last pick in the draft no less) in how many years and now we are the draft kings.

Love the enthusiasm in this forum, I guess it's hard to take off the blue goggles.

Edit: Absolutely we should be going after highly talented recruits even if they are likely going somewhere. If we get them to come it will be more than likely because of the relationship they form with our coaches. Not because cause Logan is cool, or because Queta was here. The Jalen Moore's and Sam Merrill's don't come very often.

Pacobag

Post by Pacobag » April 22nd, 2021, 8:30 am

Didn't Sam Merrill text Coach Odom and offer to help in any way he can? Is it against the rules for Sam to communicate with Collin Chandler? Just one Davis county high school grad who attended USU and ended up in the NBA talking to a future Davis county high school grad that could select the same path.... :cheers:
These users thanked the author Pacobag for the post (total 2):
ProvoAggieViAggie

LarryTheAggie

Post by LarryTheAggie » April 22nd, 2021, 8:51 am

Blitz79 wrote:
April 22nd, 2021, 7:23 am
LarryTheAggie wrote:
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
SLB wrote:
LOL! Seriously, We get one guy drafted (with the last pick in the draft no less) in how many years and now we are the draft kings.

Love the enthusiasm in this forum, I guess it's hard to take off the blue goggles.

Edit: Absolutely we should be going after highly talented recruits even if they are likely going somewhere. If we get them to come it will be more than likely because of the relationship they form with our coaches. Not because cause Logan is cool, or because Queta was here. The Jalen Moore's and Sam Merrill's don't come very often.
That and Utah had 3 first rounders back to back to back from 2016-2017. One of those three currently plays for the OCA's own Kings.

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » April 22nd, 2021, 11:28 am

LarryTheAggie wrote:
April 22nd, 2021, 8:51 am
Blitz79 wrote:
LarryTheAggie wrote:
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
SLB wrote:

That and Utah had 3 first rounders back to back to back from 2016-2017. One of those three currently plays for the OCA's own Kings.
It was 2015 - 2017 drafts.

2015 - Delon Wright was picked first round (20th pick) by Toronto
2016 - Jakob Poeltl was picked first round (9th pick) by Toronto
2017 - Kyle Kuzma was picked first round (27th pick) by Brooklyn

Eutaw St. Aggie

LarryTheAggie

Post by LarryTheAggie » April 22nd, 2021, 11:33 am

Yossarian wrote:
April 22nd, 2021, 11:28 am
LarryTheAggie wrote:
Blitz79 wrote:
LarryTheAggie wrote:
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
SLB wrote:

Yeah. Thanks, that is what I meant.
These users thanked the author LarryTheAggie for the post:
Yossarian

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » April 22nd, 2021, 11:56 am

But our NBA talent was free
These users thanked the author hipsterdoofus21 for the post (total 7):
Bank Shotsam tingeyaggieguy13flying_scotsman2.0Real Life Aggie3rdGenAggieFull

OrangeCountyAggie

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » April 22nd, 2021, 11:57 am

LarryTheAggie wrote:
April 22nd, 2021, 11:33 am
Yossarian wrote:
April 22nd, 2021, 11:28 am
LarryTheAggie wrote:
Blitz79 wrote:
LarryTheAggie wrote:
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
SLB wrote:

Yeah. Thanks, that is what I meant.
Recency bias and perception is the point I was making. Would it matter more to an 18-year old that USU just placed a player in the NBA this year and last vs a program that last did it when they were 14 (or 8 years old in BYU's case)? Probably, if getting to the NBA is a serious goal.

Aggie702

Post by Aggie702 » April 22nd, 2021, 4:11 pm

Roy McAvoy wrote:

He won’t be coming to Usu. Though I guess he could always transfer here in a few years. :noidea:
You get a lot of s*it on here but you tend to be right on things. I will say this - if it was a 10 minute call that resulted in an offer (no brainer to offer best talent in state), then I don't see the harm. There is some nominal value in having this guy tweet that he receive an offer from USU. If it was hours of phone calls with ton of time spent going after someone we have almost no chance at landing, then yes a total waste of time and resources.

UStateTim

Post by UStateTim » April 24th, 2021, 3:39 pm

OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
SLB wrote:
The recently seen success of sending guys to the NBA would be a better argument if the coach that helped them get there wasn’t at Utah now

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » April 24th, 2021, 9:33 pm

SLB wrote:
Collin Chandler knows exactly who Merrill’s coach was when he made it to the NBA.
Last edited by Roy McAvoy on April 24th, 2021, 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » April 24th, 2021, 9:38 pm

UStateTim wrote:
April 24th, 2021, 3:39 pm
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
SLB wrote:
The recently seen success of sending guys to the NBA would be a better argument if the coach that helped them get there wasn’t at Utah now
I've said this in other threads but you are 100% correct my Aggie brother.

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » August 17th, 2021, 11:34 am

ineptimusprime wrote:
April 21st, 2021, 8:53 pm
nswaggie wrote:
April 21st, 2021, 8:48 pm
ChicagoAggie wrote:
Roy McAvoy wrote:

Not to mention the goodwill you build with guys who coach these kids, and who will coach others in the future.
Collin Chandler put out his top 6, we're not in it. However, if this kid one day transfers I have to think we'll be positioned as a good landing spot. Given the transfer environment and goodwill with these kids I agree that it's not a waste at all.

These users thanked the author Roy McAvoy for the post (total 4):
Ok Aggie Fanaggies22jackattackReal Life Aggie

Locked Previous topicNext topic