RIP Shaler Halimon

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Real Life Aggie

RIP Shaler Halimon

Post by Real Life Aggie » April 20th, 2021, 12:30 pm

Thought you guys would like to know:

These users thanked the author Real Life Aggie for the post (total 13):
aggieguy13aggies22USU78newtonianblueAggie in BoiseSeldomSeenSmithAggieFBObsessionosuaggiebluegrouseNVAggie and 3 more users

Pacobag

Re: RIP Shaler Halimon

Post by Pacobag » April 20th, 2021, 12:58 pm

Sorry to hear the news. Thanks for posting the info and video.

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » April 20th, 2021, 1:20 pm

:cry:

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Bank Shot

Post by Bank Shot » April 20th, 2021, 1:31 pm

To show my age, I went to LaDell's camp in '67? and Shaler was helping. One night a few of us went to his apartment and watched film. Really a cool guy and was so helpful to all of us. RIP!
These users thanked the author Bank Shot for the post (total 2):
USU78FloridaAggie13

SeldomSeenSmith

Post by SeldomSeenSmith » April 20th, 2021, 2:09 pm

Thank you for posting that. 180 scholarship offers. My goodness.

mcaggie1

Post by mcaggie1 » April 20th, 2021, 2:45 pm

Bank Shot wrote:
April 20th, 2021, 1:31 pm
To show my age, I went to LaDell's camp in '67? and Shaler was helping. One night a few of us went to his apartment and watched film. Really a cool guy and was so helpful to all of us. RIP!
In the old days we registered for classes inside the Nelson Fieldhouse. It was a free for all. As I was getting started, I saw a young guy standing not far away who looked totally lost and confused. I walked up and asked if I could help in any way. His face broke out in a big smile. He said thanks, he’d love some help. I told him my name. He said “I’m Shaler.” I thought that was his last name. Then he said “Shaler Halimon” and I am new to the basketball team. I helped him go from spot to spot and we got him registered. A very nice man, and so appreciative. I only saw him play that first year, but I could hardly believe it when I saw him play. Great shooter. Second best next to Estes. And he could score in so many ways. Also an amazing rebounder. I feel lucky to have seen him play, and met him. When I bumped in to him on campus he always smiled and asked how I was. A mission was why I didn’t see him hiss second year. He was a JC transfer. RIP my friend.
These users thanked the author mcaggie1 for the post (total 9):
Real Life Aggieaggieguy13BobWilsonUSU78treesap32crazywookieaggies22aggiesdotcomFloridaAggie13

Smokin Joe

Post by Smokin Joe » April 20th, 2021, 2:46 pm

I remember watching the Utah game on TV. Halimon was just killing it. Far and away, the best player on the court. He had a turnaround jump shot that was unstoppable. From the baseline it was bottom of the net every time.
These users thanked the author Smokin Joe for the post:
aggies22

Real Life Aggie

Post by Real Life Aggie » April 20th, 2021, 2:55 pm

I'm young; the earliest guys I remember watching a lot of were Spencer Nelson, Nate Harris, Tony Brown. I've heard Shaler's name before but didn't know much about him. Sounds like I really should give him more consideration as one of the all time greats.

mcaggie1

Post by mcaggie1 » April 20th, 2021, 3:01 pm

Real Life Aggie wrote:
April 20th, 2021, 2:55 pm
I'm young; the earliest guys I remember watching a lot of were Spencer Nelson, Nate Harris, Tony Brown. I've heard Shaler's name before but didn't know much about him. Sounds like I really should give him more consideration as one of the all time greats.
Ya think? Seriously, that would be a wise choice. And you would be right.
These users thanked the author mcaggie1 for the post:
USU78

USU73
Has thanked: 0

Post by USU73 » April 20th, 2021, 3:59 pm

Ain't it great to be an Aggie!

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

These users thanked the author USU73 for the post (total 3):
USU78Real Life Aggieaggies22

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » April 20th, 2021, 4:00 pm

Always sad to hear about the passing of a legend. (Seriously) I look forward to a long troutputz rant where he talks about the glory days of Shaler Halimon.

USUaggie

Post by USUaggie » April 20th, 2021, 4:21 pm

Shaler was the first Aggie basketball player I remember watching as a kid in the old fieldhouse. Great player!

Sad day.

pilotaggie

Post by pilotaggie » April 20th, 2021, 5:48 pm

He was before my time but that was a great video.

This post is likely straight up poor sarcasm and cannot be taken seriously.

USU78

Post by USU78 » April 20th, 2021, 6:50 pm

Darnell. Shaler. Loved those guys. Cannot believe this news makes me mist up.

bluegrouse

Post by bluegrouse » April 20th, 2021, 7:10 pm

"Best two years of my life."

Not gonna lie. Choked me up when he said that at the end.
These users thanked the author bluegrouse for the post (total 4):
BustaMcNuttUSU78mcaggie1aggies22

mcaggie1

Post by mcaggie1 » April 20th, 2021, 8:29 pm

bluegrouse wrote:
April 20th, 2021, 7:10 pm
"Best two years of my life."

Not gonna lie. Choked me up when he said that at the end.
Ditto.

troutputz
RIP

Post by troutputz » April 20th, 2021, 10:56 pm

Rest In Peace Shaler. I was 13 and 14 when I saw Shaler play! Shaler took some of the sting of Estes’s death away. With his play, it allowed many of us to really love Aggie basketball again without thinking of Estes. We will always remember Estes, but Shaler brought Aggie basketball to the now instead of just the past Estes years. I loved his jump shot. In fact many of us youngsters who loved the game tried to copy Shaler jump shot. My only trouble was that at the height of my jump, I could never switch hands to shot so the defender wouldn’t block it. Shaler was a master at this long before a guy named Michael Jordan. When he had one of his triple doubles, it was against Arizona State at home, and ASU had the great Leroy Ellis who was later an NBA Star. My fondest game was when Shaler scored 47 against ourhated BYU. Shaler single handles beat the Y. I played for coach Whitman at North Cache when it had just been turned into a junior high. Coach Whitman showed basket ball film that he wanted us to be like. Whitman had got from Ladell film of Estes and film of Shaler. Such wonderful memories for me. Today I shed another Aggie tear!
These users thanked the author troutputz for the post (total 7):
USU78brossp24crazywookienewhouse9mcaggie1cdaAgaggiesdotcom

USU73

Post by USU73 » April 20th, 2021, 10:59 pm

Thanks

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » April 21st, 2021, 12:18 am

Halimon spent the latter years of his life as a well known and beloved bus driver in the Portland area.

http://www.espn.com/espn/page2/story?sp ... bus_driver

One of my prize possessions of Aggie memorabilia is an autographed Shaler Halimon rookie card .
These users thanked the author treesap32 for the post (total 5):
crazywookieBLUERUFiOnewhouse9USU78FloridaAggie13

Bank Shot

Post by Bank Shot » April 21st, 2021, 10:28 am

troutputz wrote:
April 20th, 2021, 10:56 pm
Rest In Peace Shaler. I was 13 and 14 when I saw Shaler play! Shaler took some of the sting of Estes’s death away. With his play, it allowed many of us to really love Aggie basketball again without thinking of Estes. We will always remember Estes, but Shaler brought Aggie basketball to the now instead of just the past Estes years. I loved his jump shot. In fact many of us youngsters who loved the game tried to copy Shaler jump shot. My only trouble was that at the height of my jump, I could never switch hands to shot so the defender wouldn’t block it. Shaler was a master at this long before a guy named Michael Jordan. When he had one of his triple doubles, it was against Arizona State at home, and ASU had the great Leroy Ellis who was later an NBA Star. My fondest game was when Shaler scored 47 against ourhated BYU. Shaler single handles beat the Y. I played for coach Whitman at North Cache when it had just been turned into a junior high. Coach Whitman showed basket ball film that he wanted us to be like. Whitman had got from Ladell film of Estes and film of Shaler. Such wonderful memories for me. Today I shed another Aggie tear!
Ouch! I'm starting to think that I'm the oldest geezer on here.

OKAggie

Post by OKAggie » April 21st, 2021, 10:40 am

"Super Shay" is the first Aggie I remember very well. Loved the cool name, and enjoyed seeing occasional highlights on the local news, but never actually saw him play. That USUHOF video is priceless. RIP Shaler.

Nobody here knows anything.

mcaggie1

Post by mcaggie1 » April 21st, 2021, 11:08 am

Bank Shot wrote:
April 21st, 2021, 10:28 am
troutputz wrote:
April 20th, 2021, 10:56 pm
Ouch! I'm starting to think that I'm the oldest geezer on here.
Ouch! I was thinking the same thing about myself.
Last edited by mcaggie1 on April 21st, 2021, 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » April 21st, 2021, 11:13 am

I appreciate hearing the news. I wasn't old enough to watch him play, but I trust those who have to know that he was one of the very best we have had. Sad day for Aggies. So glad we had him as an Aggie.

vegasaggie

Post by vegasaggie » April 21st, 2021, 12:23 pm

Okay...I am a really, REALLY, Old Aggie...maybe the oldest or one of the oldest posters/readers on this board! I came all the way from Hawaii to USU and was here from 1963 - 1967 (I TOLD you I was old)! This is my claim to athletic fame...I beat Shaler Halimon in a game of HORSE at the BBall court outside the Edith Bowen School (is that still there?)! There was no one to document this, no cell phone, no social media so you have to take my word for it! (He did win the other four games that we played!) Great guy, amazing ball player. I was there to see him, Wayne Estes, Troy Collier, Leroy Walker, and so many other greats in the Nelson Fieldhouse. Wrong forum, but in football I was there to see MacArthur Lane, Roy Shivers, Bill Munson, Henry King, and other Aggie gridiron greats. It was an amazing time in Aggie athletics. Okay, thanks for reading the ramblings of an old Aggie...time for my nap!
These users thanked the author vegasaggie for the post (total 5):
cdaAgNavyBlueAggieUSU78Aggiefan33crazywookie

mcaggie1

Post by mcaggie1 » April 21st, 2021, 12:37 pm

vegasaggie wrote:
April 21st, 2021, 12:23 pm
Okay...I am a really, REALLY, Old Aggie...maybe the oldest or one of the oldest posters/readers on this board! I came all the way from Hawaii to USU and was here from 1963 - 1967 (I TOLD you I was old)! This is my claim to athletic fame...I beat Shaler Halimon in a game of HORSE at the BBall court outside the Edith Bowen School (is that still there?)! There was no one to document this, no cell phone, no social media so you have to take my word for it! (He did win the other four games that we played!) Great guy, amazing ball player. I was there to see him, Wayne Estes, Troy Collier, Leroy Walker, and so many other greats in the Nelson Fieldhouse. Wrong forum, but in football I was there to see MacArthur Lane, Roy Shivers, Bill Munson, Henry King, and other Aggie gridiron greats. It was an amazing time in Aggie athletics. Okay, thanks for reading the ramblings of an old Aggie...time for my nap!
You are just a little bit older than me, but I share your memories.
These users thanked the author mcaggie1 for the post (total 2):
USU78vegasaggie

AggiesForever
Pick'em Champ - '15 Kickoff

Post by AggiesForever » April 21st, 2021, 2:03 pm

Now that all of us old farts are chiming in, I honestly feel like Shaler Halimon, talent for talent, may be, next to Wayne Estes, the second greatest player to ever play at USU. I know, Sam Merrill, Jaycee Carroll, Greg Grant and Neemias Queta were great players. But Shaler Halimon could literally do EVERYTHING on the floor. Shoot, rebound, handle the ball, block shots, create, you name it. And I got to see him many times. He could literally do it all, hence he received the nickname "Super Shay." When I think of todays players, its hard to find one who compares because most of the pro players shoot dunks or 3 pointers or they just rebound or play interior defense. There arent many players in the NBA who do everything. He could shoot like anybody who you might want to name today. He could rebound as well as any big guard/small forward in the NBA. So I don't know who to compare him to. But he was really good. If he had played all 3 years at Utah State that players were eligible then instead of just the two he did, I have no doubt he would be in the top 10 in every statistical category, top 5 in scoring for sure.

But his recruitment was something else. In 2013, Bob Wilson and I stopped in Washington, Utah, while in the St. George area playing golf, and visited with former Aggie basketball coach and AD LaDell Andersen at his home in Coral Canyon. He told us some great stories about Aggie Basketball during his time as coach there. But one of the funniest was of the recruitment of Shaler Halimon. And this is how he met, and eventually came to hire Dale Brown (yes, THAT Dale Brown) as his assistant.

LaDell said he had heard about a guard-forward playing at a junior college in Palm Springs, California named Shaler Halimon, so he decided to go see him play. In the meantime, he had been getting calls from a high school basketball coach in Palm Springs, named Dale Brown. LaDell said, "Now Dale Brown was from Minot, North Dakota, and he was coaching down in Palm Springs. So I decided that I would give him a call when I got down there. So I pull in to a gas station to get some gas, and I call his number and say, 'Hello, this is LaDell Andersen.' Dale exclaims, 'Where are you?' and I said I'm here in Palm Springs at a gas station. I thought I would like to meet you.' Dale says, "Don't move-- I'll be right there.' So I get my gas, buy a soda, go to the bathroom, and in about ten minutes Dale's car literally comes skidding into the gas station. He jumps out, shakes my hand and says, 'Hello LaDell. I'm Dale Brown.' Just like that. So I tell him I'm going to see Shaler Halimon, who was from Romulus, Michigan, you know, and Dale says, 'I'll drive you there. I know right where it is.' I don't know how he got off from school that day, but we jump in his car and take off and go over and see Shaler play. After the game, he recruited Shaler Halimon to play at USU for me, and he didn't even work for me yet. But he convinced Shaler that he should come to USU and play and he did. He turned out to be a pretty good player for us."

I'll say.
These users thanked the author AggiesForever for the post (total 5):
USUaggieUSU78mcaggie1vegasaggiecrazywookie

LoveMyAggies

Post by LoveMyAggies » April 21st, 2021, 2:53 pm

AggiesForever wrote:
April 21st, 2021, 2:03 pm
Now that all of us old farts are chiming in, I honestly feel like Shaler Halimon, talent for talent, may be, next to Wayne Estes, the second greatest player to ever play at USU. I know, Sam Merrill, Jaycee Carroll, Greg Grant and Neemias Queta were great players. But Shaler Halimon could literally do EVERYTHING on the floor. Shoot, rebound, handle the ball, block shots, create, you name it. And I got to see him many times. He could literally do it all, hence he received the nickname "Super Shay." When I think of todays players, its hard to find one who compares because most of the pro players shoot dunks or 3 pointers or they just rebound or play interior defense. There arent many players in the NBA who do everything. He could shoot like anybody who you might want to name today. He could rebound as well as any big guard/small forward in the NBA. So I don't know who to compare him to. But he was really good. If he had played all 3 years at Utah State that players were eligible then instead of just the two he did, I have no doubt he would be in the top 10 in every statistical category, top 5 in scoring for sure.

But his recruitment was something else. In 2013, Bob Wilson and I stopped in Washington, Utah, while in the St. George area playing golf, and visited with former Aggie basketball coach and AD LaDell Andersen at his home in Coral Canyon. He told us some great stories about Aggie Basketball during his time as coach there. But one of the funniest was of the recruitment of Shaler Halimon. And this is how he met, and eventually came to hire Dale Brown (yes, THAT Dale Brown) as his assistant.

LaDell said he had heard about a guard-forward playing at a junior college in Palm Springs, California named Shaler Halimon, so he decided to go see him play. In the meantime, he had been getting calls from a high school basketball coach in Palm Springs, named Dale Brown. LaDell said, "Now Dale Brown was from Minot, North Dakota, and he was coaching down in Palm Springs. So I decided that I would give him a call when I got down there. So I pull in to a gas station to get some gas, and I call his number and say, 'Hello, this is LaDell Andersen.' Dale exclaims, 'Where are you?' and I said I'm here in Palm Springs at a gas station. I thought I would like to meet you.' Dale says, "Don't move-- I'll be right there.' So I get my gas, buy a soda, go to the bathroom, and in about ten minutes Dale's car literally comes skidding into the gas station. He jumps out, shakes my hand and says, 'Hello LaDell. I'm Dale Brown.' Just like that. So I tell him I'm going to see Shaler Halimon, who was from Romulus, Michigan, you know, and Dale says, 'I'll drive you there. I know right where it is.' I don't know how he got off from school that day, but we jump in his car and take off and go over and see Shaler play. After the game, he recruited Shaler Halimon to play at USU for me, and he didn't even work for me yet. But he convinced Shaler that he should come to USU and play and he did. He turned out to be a pretty good player for us."

I'll say.

Imagine if Dale Brown had been hired by Utah State
These users thanked the author LoveMyAggies for the post:
USU78

USU78

Post by USU78 » April 21st, 2021, 3:16 pm

LoveMyAggies wrote:
April 21st, 2021, 2:53 pm
My recollection is that Plain got the job rather than Dale because Dale, while being Anderson's choice to succeed him, wasn't the choice of the AD. Plain was such a miserable let-down after the sparkling Aggie years under Anderson. Dutch, two years later, got some of the Aggie mojo back, but it was still a letdown after those amazing years in the '60s.

Remember this from putz?

https://www.usufans.com/Forums/viewtopi ... =6&t=57621

USU73

Post by USU73 » April 21st, 2021, 7:51 pm

USU78 wrote:
LoveMyAggies wrote:
My recollection is that Plain got the job rather than Dale because Dale, while being Anderson's choice to succeed him, wasn't the choice of the AD. Plain was such a miserable let-down after the sparkling Aggie years under Anderson. Dutch, two years later, got some of the Aggie mojo back, but it was still a letdown after those amazing years in the '60s.

Remember this from putz?

I have many many times.

I once asked Ed Epps if Dale Brown was a good spokesman or recruiter. I still remember exactly what Ed said, "Dale Brown could talk the ears off a jack rabbit!"
Never understood why Ed Epps didn't get more minutes at USU, especially after his junior year. He sure got the attention of UCLA when he got going in the first half of the NCAA Western Regional Final. The Bruins quickly decided they were not going to run with us.
I still wonder if UCLA would have won if we had Nate Williams at 100%. He played on a badly injured ankle and couldn't cut. I believe Nate and Marv Roberts were a better pair of forwards than Sydney Wicks and Curtis Rowe.

These users thanked the author USU73 for the post:
USU78

ChicagoAggie

Post by ChicagoAggie » April 21st, 2021, 10:09 pm

My dad was on the Utah State basketball team for 3 years in the 50’s. Side story, one year they had the worst record ever at Utah State until Rod Tueller’s 4 and something. Anyway, I have always been jealous of his and my brothers stories of the great Aggies in the 60’s, not only in basketball but also in football. I miss hearing those stories. All of you that witnessed it have something very special that us somewhat younger guys never got to witness.
These users thanked the author ChicagoAggie for the post (total 2):
slcaggvegasaggie

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » April 22nd, 2021, 12:28 am

Here's an overview of where Shaler stands on the all time leaderboards at USU:

https://usustats.com/players/Shaler+Halimon
These users thanked the author treesap32 for the post (total 2):
USU78AggiesForever

mcaggie1

Post by mcaggie1 » April 23rd, 2021, 1:26 pm

USU73 wrote:
April 21st, 2021, 7:51 pm
USU78 wrote:
LoveMyAggies wrote:

Remember this from putz?

I have many many times.

I once asked Ed Epps if Dale Brown was a good spokesman or recruiter. I still remember exactly what Ed said, "Dale Brown could talk the ears off a jack rabbit!"
Never understood why Ed Epps didn't get more minutes at USU, especially after his junior year. He sure got the attention of UCLA when he got going in the first half of the NCAA Western Regional Final. The Bruins quickly decided they were not going to run with us.
I still wonder if UCLA would have won if we had Nate Williams at 100%. He played on a badly injured ankle and couldn't cut. I believe Nate and Marv Roberts were a better pair of forwards than Sydney Wicks and Curtis Rowe.

After the game, Wooden himself said they were lucky that Nate Williams was hurt, or the Aggies would have won the game, and maybe the championship.
These users thanked the author mcaggie1 for the post (total 2):
USU78NavyBlueAggie

Gljflyfloater

Post by Gljflyfloater » April 30th, 2021, 9:10 pm

Well I may be the oldest Aggie on this web site . I was there when Wayne Estes played and he is undoubtedly the best agqie basketball player ever. Wayne was a friend of mine and I was at the field house when he scored his 2000th point. Having said that Shaler Halimon was right behind him. He was an incredible player. He played the game with showmanship and flair. Yes he was a great shooter , yes he was a great passer, yes he was a great rebounder and yes he had great handles and hands. I remember this play like it was yesterday. Shaler was on a fast break with a man on him and an aggie coming in from the other side of the key. Picture this while he is flying down the court he picks up the dribble with his right hand, brings the ball behind his back Like he is going to pass the ball. The defender totally stops , shaler brings the ball back around and lays it in. All of this at high speed. The 6000 in the field house went ballistic. It was an incredible display of athletic ability. What a great player and a great man.
These users thanked the author Gljflyfloater for the post (total 6):
slcaggUSU78aggies22osuaggievegasaggieAggiefan33

Gljflyfloater

Post by Gljflyfloater » April 30th, 2021, 9:28 pm

Poet script. I met Cornel Green in Ladel Andeson’s office and played against him in practice. He was an All American basketball player and was drafted by the New Jersey nets and the Dallas Cowboys. As a professional football player he was an All Pro Corner back. This is story for another day but I think the three of them were the three best basketball players in Aggie history. Gljflyfloater
These users thanked the author Gljflyfloater for the post (total 4):
USU78aggies22mcaggie1vegasaggie

mcaggie1

Post by mcaggie1 » May 1st, 2021, 8:33 am

Gljflyfloater wrote:
April 30th, 2021, 9:28 pm
Poet script. I met Cornel Green in Ladel Andeson’s office and played against him in practice. He was an All American basketball player and was drafted by the New Jersey nets and the Dallas Cowboys. As a professional football player he was an All Pro Corner back. This is story for another day but I think the three of them were the three best basketball players in Aggie history. Gljflyfloater
You got me by a couple of years. And you got me by one player, Cornell Green. I listened to him play, but never saw him play.
Sigh. Great memories of those old greats. We are blessed.

Locked Previous topicNext topic