Marco to utah

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Re: Marco to utah

Post by USU78 » April 20th, 2021, 1:19 pm

Poach Smith is dead to me.

(Actually, I'm only really worried about the loss of a starter-quality point guard ... everybody else is fungible, until, that is, USU finds itself another start-quality point guard).

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » April 20th, 2021, 1:20 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:
April 20th, 2021, 12:24 pm
cval wrote:
April 20th, 2021, 12:21 pm
stang wrote:
April 20th, 2021, 12:17 pm
Is this the part where we all trash Marco and say how he wasn't even very good and it will be easy to find a replacement for him and make up stuff about him being a locker room cancer to make ourselves feel better?
A bad case of former Aggie-itis ;)
What is the point of this thread, if not this? :joking:
I think Marco will be an impact player at Utah. But you can book that Utah fans will be complaining about Marco’s and Rollie’s shooting next year.

I will spare trashing Marco, but you don’t get to transfer to a rival school and have a reasonable expectation of keeping your dignity intact with the old fan base. May not be fair, but it is what it is!
There was a reason Marco came to the MW level of basketball to find a role on a winning program. Love the guy, but he's going right back to the level of ball that didn't work for him last time. He's an incredible defensive player with severe limitations offensively. You can get away with that bipolar style in the MW. It's going to be difficult to do that in the PAC 12.
These users thanked the author hipsterdoofus21 for the post:
mcaggie1

BleedAggieBlue0
Pick'em Champ - '14 Bowl

Post by BleedAggieBlue0 » April 20th, 2021, 1:21 pm

Kinda interesting, if coach smith is such a piece of sh*t and him leaving the way he did was so unfair to the players. . . why are they all following him?

The fans on this board can be ridiculous at times.

Coaches leave, players leave, life goes on. I like the guys we have coming in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GreenAg

Post by GreenAg » April 20th, 2021, 1:22 pm

Pacobag wrote:
April 20th, 2021, 12:30 pm
stang wrote:

Of course they had weaknesses, but they were 2 of the starters on a very good USU team. Saying they won’t do well in the P12 makes it sound like USU would get destroyed by P12 teams. It also means that SDSU, CSU, Nevada guards must be bad in comparison to P12 guards. We’re essentially ripping on our own conference.
I think it's very likely we would have gotten destroyed by many/most of the P12 teams, judging by how the P12 did in the NCAA tourney, plus what we saw against Washington a couple years ago. That said, Go Aggies!

SeldomSeenSmith

Post by SeldomSeenSmith » April 20th, 2021, 1:49 pm

Mr. Sneelock wrote:
April 20th, 2021, 1:03 pm
SeldomSeenSmith wrote:
April 20th, 2021, 12:45 pm
No reason to make a big deal about either one of these players transferring. Neither is near the quality of Aggie players who've actually done something here to make fans remember them. They'll only be remembered for the fact that they transferred to Utah, if they're remembered at all.
Wait! Is this the original SSS? No way! I thought you were dead or something.
I was.

kofdog

Post by kofdog » April 20th, 2021, 1:56 pm

SeldomSeenSmith wrote:
April 20th, 2021, 1:49 pm
Mr. Sneelock wrote:
April 20th, 2021, 1:03 pm
SeldomSeenSmith wrote:
April 20th, 2021, 12:45 pm
No reason to make a big deal about either one of these players transferring. Neither is near the quality of Aggie players who've actually done something here to make fans remember them. They'll only be remembered for the fact that they transferred to Utah, if they're remembered at all.
Wait! Is this the original SSS? No way! I thought you were dead or something.
I was.
These users thanked the author kofdog for the post (total 3):
hipsterdoofus21Real Life Aggiebluegrouse

Blitz79

Post by Blitz79 » April 20th, 2021, 2:09 pm

Well there you have it.

I would take Marck and Rollie over the two UMBC guys but oh well. Go Aggies.
These users thanked the author Blitz79 for the post (total 2):
utaggiesNewUSUfan

cval

Post by cval » April 20th, 2021, 2:09 pm

BleedAggieBlue0 wrote:
April 20th, 2021, 1:21 pm
Kinda interesting, if coach smith is such a piece of sh*t and him leaving the way he did was so unfair to the players. . . why are they all following him?

"all" is a bit of a stretch :joking:

mcaggie1

Post by mcaggie1 » April 20th, 2021, 2:21 pm

stang wrote:
April 20th, 2021, 12:36 pm
Pacobag wrote:
stang wrote:
Is this the part where we all trash Marco and say how he wasn't even very good and it will be easy to find a replacement for him and make up stuff about him being a locker room cancer to make ourselves feel better?
I hear you, but it is a fan forum and how some people seem to cope. Probably a vocal minority?

Of course they had weaknesses, but they were 2 of the starters on a very good USU team. Saying they won’t do well in the P12 makes it sound like USU would get destroyed by P12 teams. It also means that SDSU, CSU, Nevada guards must be bad in comparison to P12 guards. We’re essentially ripping on our own conference.
I’m not going to be the fan police, I totally get why people act like that when a player transfers to a rival school. I just find the whole thing kind of funny. Reading this board after Rollie left you would have thought he was an absolute scrub who would barely crack the lineup at most schools, not one of the top freshman point guards this program has seen. I just don’t see the use in acting like players were trash once they decide to leave.
Well if it makes you feel better, I was dubious about Rollie at about mid season, or a little further. I thought he started to struggle a little and then at the end of the season, when the competition heated up, he lost his touch a little from the three point line, and seemed a little weaker handling the ball...a few more turn overs. In the Conf. Tourney, he was passable, and in the NCAA first round, he was awful. Statistics may prove me wrong, but that was how I saw it. He made few 3’s in tournament action. My wife and my friends I watch games with would ask why I don’t like Rollie anymore. I said I like Rollie...he just needs more experience. Maybe he can catch up to the speed of the game.
In short....I don’t like or dislike Rollie anymore than before Smith jumped ship
That’s my story and I’m sticking to it : :thanks:

OrangeCountyAggie

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » April 20th, 2021, 2:33 pm

QuackAttackAggie wrote:
April 20th, 2021, 11:36 am

Why did this take so long?

AggieFBObsession

Post by AggieFBObsession » April 20th, 2021, 3:38 pm

mcaggie1 wrote:
April 20th, 2021, 12:16 pm
They are bigger, quicker, and faster. Against those type of players he will struggle just like he did against TTech.
And, Mr Smith will play him out of position at PG and ruin him further.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » April 20th, 2021, 4:16 pm

2004AG wrote:
April 20th, 2021, 12:44 pm
stang wrote:Is this the part where we all trash Marco and say how he wasn't even very good and it will be easy to find a replacement for him and make up stuff about him being a locker room cancer to make ourselves feel better?
Yeah kinda like when Collette left and he magically started sucking overnight.

Yeah some people claimed Collette was a cancer. I have no idea what his relationship was with his teammates and I was not a fan of him leaving how he did, but it is crazy to think USU wouldn't have been better had he stayed. USU was 11-7 in the MW his freshman year, without him in what would have been his sophmore, junior and senior years we had losing MW seasons. I know it is more complex than that, but I am confident had Collette stayed he would have been worth several more wins each year.

As for Worster and Anthony. Disappointed that they left, but I trust Odom to do a better job replacing them than Duryea did of replacing Collette.

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » April 20th, 2021, 4:26 pm

Some of us just aren't as used to being dumped as others apparently and so we don't take it as well. High school truly was a prep school for some members of this board.

sam tingey
Pick'em Champ - '13, '16 FB Predict the Score; '17, '18 Bowl

Post by sam tingey » April 20th, 2021, 5:49 pm

Thanks Marco. you helped us out tremendously last season. hope the Utes are still unsuccessful even with you on the team.

pilotaggie

Post by pilotaggie » April 20th, 2021, 5:52 pm

mcaggie1 wrote:
April 20th, 2021, 2:21 pm
stang wrote:
April 20th, 2021, 12:36 pm
Pacobag wrote:
stang wrote:
I hear you, but it is a fan forum and how some people seem to cope. Probably a vocal minority?

I’m not going to be the fan police, I totally get why people act like that when a player transfers to a rival school. I just find the whole thing kind of funny. Reading this board after Rollie left you would have thought he was an absolute scrub who would barely crack the lineup at most schools, not one of the top freshman point guards this program has seen. I just don’t see the use in acting like players were trash once they decide to leave.
Well if it makes you feel better, I was dubious about Rollie at about mid season, or a little further. I thought he started to struggle a little and then at the end of the season, when the competition heated up, he lost his touch a little from the three point line, and seemed a little weaker handling the ball...a few more turn overs. In the Conf. Tourney, he was passable, and in the NCAA first round, he was awful. Statistics may prove me wrong, but that was how I saw it. He made few 3’s in tournament action. My wife and my friends I watch games with would ask why I don’t like Rollie anymore. I said I like Rollie...he just needs more experience. Maybe he can catch up to the speed of the game.
In short....I don’t like or dislike Rollie anymore than before Smith jumped ship
That’s my story and I’m sticking to it : :thanks:
He did struggle towards the end of the season. He was also a freshman. I think you would have seen that cleaned up over the course of his college career. No idea what he'll do going forward and even if I wanted to know I don't think the P12 televises any sporting events.

This post is likely straight up poor sarcasm and cannot be taken seriously.

Dkdavis

Post by Dkdavis » April 20th, 2021, 6:59 pm

ususports wrote:
April 20th, 2021, 12:09 pm
We heard that the players and the assistant coaches were pissed when Coach Smith accepted the Utah job. Sounds like not everyone was as pissed as advertised.
They were pissed that he left them behind. After finding out that he hadn’t left them behind as much as they thought it is pretty easy to forgive. Some of them probably still are pissed he is gone.

OrangeCountyAggie

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » April 20th, 2021, 10:03 pm

Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
April 20th, 2021, 4:16 pm
2004AG wrote:
April 20th, 2021, 12:44 pm
stang wrote:Is this the part where we all trash Marco and say how he wasn't even very good and it will be easy to find a replacement for him and make up stuff about him being a locker room cancer to make ourselves feel better?
Yeah kinda like when Collette left and he magically started sucking overnight.

Yeah some people claimed Collette was a cancer. I have no idea what his relationship was with his teammates and I was not a fan of him leaving how he did, but it is crazy to think USU wouldn't have been better had he stayed. USU was 11-7 in the MW his freshman year, without him in what would have been his sophmore, junior and senior years we had losing MW seasons. I know it is more complex than that, but I am confident had Collette stayed he would have been worth several more wins each year.

As for Worster and Anthony. Disappointed that they left, but I trust Odom to do a better job replacing them than Duryea did of replacing Collette.

Agreed, but then Duryea would have stuck around longer. 🤮
These users thanked the author OrangeCountyAggie for the post:
Aggie formerly in Hawaii

ChicagoAggie

Post by ChicagoAggie » April 20th, 2021, 11:06 pm

Does anyone else but me feel that Horvath + Eytle-Rock > Worster + Anthony?
These users thanked the author ChicagoAggie for the post (total 2):
USU78AggieFBObsession

CanuckAggie

Post by CanuckAggie » April 20th, 2021, 11:38 pm

ChicagoAggie wrote:
April 20th, 2021, 11:06 pm
Offensively, an absolute upgrade from everything I'm seeing. Losing Neemias is going to hurt, but I'm optimistic that Coach Odom at least keeps us amongst the top 4-5 teams in the league.

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » April 21st, 2021, 12:13 am

Aglicious wrote:
April 20th, 2021, 12:38 pm
Interesting that he is shown without his #44? Is that number retired due to Van Horn or something?
Not sure, but my guess would be that now that he's got the sweet P5 type $$$ he doesn't have to do the 4 for 4 deal at Wendy's anymore. Time for some Ruth's Chris baby....
These users thanked the author treesap32 for the post (total 5):
hipsterdoofus21Real Life Aggieaggies22USU78superheroboy

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » April 21st, 2021, 7:54 am

Good luck Marco. I remember hearing how he was going to be the man to replace Merrill. He definitely wasn't. He was a major cog in our defensive production as a team. Offensively, he was streaky at best.

Sl7vk

Post by Sl7vk » April 21st, 2021, 7:56 am

ChicagoAggie wrote:
April 20th, 2021, 11:06 pm
I actually agree with this as well.

Aggie in Boise

Post by Aggie in Boise » April 21st, 2021, 7:59 am

BleedAggieBlue0 wrote:

Kinda interesting too that if Coach Smith was so discriminative in recruiting blacks to Utah State that the only remaining black player from the team followed him to the University of Utah. :headscratch:
These users thanked the author Aggie in Boise for the post:
NewUSUfan

"We've upped our standards, so UP YOURS." Unknown

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » April 21st, 2021, 8:28 am

Aggie in Boise wrote:
April 21st, 2021, 7:59 am
BleedAggieBlue0 wrote:

Kinda interesting too that if Coach Smith was so discriminative in recruiting blacks to Utah State that the only remaining black player from the team followed him to the University of Utah. :headscratch:
I don’t remember anyone making any claims about Smith being overtly racist, prejudiced, or discriminatory.

Recruiting is about connections. Smith — being a quirky white dude that grew up in Nowhere, MN and only coached in the midwest and intermountain west — probably has a largely white network, which lead to largely white recruits and a largely white coaching staff. I think Smith + rural Utah were a bad combo when it came to being able to successfully recruit POC. I suspect that area will improve significantly with Odom, who probably has a much more diverse network.

Nothing ominous at work here I don’t believe.
These users thanked the author ineptimusprime for the post (total 2):
Aggie in Boisehipsterdoofus21

SeldomSeenSmith

Post by SeldomSeenSmith » April 21st, 2021, 9:54 am

Aggie in Boise wrote:
BleedAggieBlue0 wrote:

He wasn't discriminative, he just wasn't good at it.
These users thanked the author SeldomSeenSmith for the post:
Aggie in Boise

Bank Shot

Post by Bank Shot » April 21st, 2021, 10:38 am

SeldomSeenSmith wrote:
April 21st, 2021, 9:54 am
Aggie in Boise wrote:
BleedAggieBlue0 wrote:

I've mentioned this before but Craig had 8 POC on his last roster at South Dakota. Somehow during the move from the diversity capital of Vermillion to Logan he lost his touch.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » April 21st, 2021, 11:07 am

Bank Shot wrote:
April 21st, 2021, 10:38 am
SeldomSeenSmith wrote:
April 21st, 2021, 9:54 am
Aggie in Boise wrote:
BleedAggieBlue0 wrote:

I've mentioned this before but Craig had 8 POC on his last roster at South Dakota. Somehow during the move from the diversity capital of Vermillion to Logan he lost his touch.
I don't know what was different about South Dakota, but he definitely seemed to struggle here with it more than any other coach we've had. Again, nothing ominous.

Bank Shot

Post by Bank Shot » April 21st, 2021, 11:39 am

I guess some of it has to do with hitting the Euro market. Hit and miss there with Queta, hopefully Shuga as hits, the Russian Rocket Launcher as a miss.

BleedAggieBlue0
Pick'em Champ - '14 Bowl

Post by BleedAggieBlue0 » April 21st, 2021, 2:00 pm

Aggie in Boise wrote:
BleedAggieBlue0 wrote:

I don’t remember anyone saying coach Smith was discriminative. But you go ahead anyways...

Aggie in Boise

Post by Aggie in Boise » April 21st, 2021, 2:11 pm

BleedAggieBlue0 wrote:
April 21st, 2021, 2:00 pm
Aggie in Boise wrote:
BleedAggieBlue0 wrote:

I don’t remember anyone saying coach Smith was discriminative. But you go ahead anyways...

I don't think he was but it sure seemed like some implied that he was.

"We've upped our standards, so UP YOURS." Unknown

BleedAggieBlue0
Pick'em Champ - '14 Bowl

Post by BleedAggieBlue0 » April 21st, 2021, 4:20 pm

Aggie in Boise wrote:
BleedAggieBlue0 wrote:
April 21st, 2021, 2:00 pm
Aggie in Boise wrote:
BleedAggieBlue0 wrote:

I don't think he was but it sure seemed like some implied that he was.
You simply inferred something that was never implied, that’s okay!

Locked Previous topicNext topic