Roster predictions

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
treesap32

Re: Roster predictions

Post by treesap32 » April 18th, 2021, 11:57 pm

Real Life Aggie wrote:
April 16th, 2021, 3:05 pm
treesap32 wrote:
April 16th, 2021, 1:55 pm
Based on our CURRENT roster I would do the following:

PG - Ashworth (30) / Bairstow (10)
SG - Shulga (25) / McChesney (10) / Bairstow (5)
SF - Miller (30) / Shulga (5) / Potter (5)
PF - Bean (35) / Dorius (5)
C - Horvath (30) / Zapala (10)

We are extremely thin at PG (as usual). Bairstow should not sniff that position (in my opinion), but right now we don't really have a backup unless Shulga will do it. And that may not be a bad idea. I feel Shulga takes care of the ball much better than Bairstow.

We also could use another quality wing. McChesney and Potter are completely unproven, but could command minutes this year unless we sign some dudes.

Ideally I would love to sign a PG who can start or at least compete to start and a quality shooting wing. Another big would be icing on the cake, but I'm pretty confident at our depth there. I'm actually pretty high on Zapala.
Dorius at the 4 and Horvath at the 5? Surely you jest, sir.
With the current players, Bean and Horvath would both be starting. Sure, they're both PF's but I listed the 5 traditional positions PG through C and had to slot them both in as starters. I expect Zapala and Dorius to back them up and get limited minutes unless the lineup changes. Feel free to swap Dorius down to the C and Zapala up to the PF if you prefer. The fact of the matter is, we'll likely have 2 PF's in there most of the time, just like nearly every other college team in the nation.

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » April 19th, 2021, 12:21 pm

My guess for the depth chart right now:

G) Steven Ashworth, RJ Eytle-Rock
G) RJ Eytle Rock, Max Shulga
G) Brock Miller, Sean Bairstow
F) Justin Bean, Liam Mchesney, Cade Potter
F) Justin Horvath, Trevin Dorius, Szymon Zapala

Brock Miller's injury is still a wild card. Again, if we can add one more transfer guard that is athletic & can play, I think it's a decent lineup.
These users thanked the author Roy McAvoy for the post:
ThunderAggie

GUS

Post by GUS » April 19th, 2021, 12:27 pm

Roy, what makes you put McChesney at the 4 spot? Everything that I have heard he is more of a 3 like Miller or Bairstow. You could be right, I was just curious.

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » April 19th, 2021, 12:31 pm

GUS wrote:
April 19th, 2021, 12:27 pm
Roy, what makes you put McChesney at the 4 spot? Everything that I have heard he is more of a 3 like Miller or Bairstow. You could be right, I was just curious.
Just the fact that he's 6'10" and many schools runs with an athletic guard at the 3rd spot. Based off what I've seen of McChesney I don't think he'd have much of a prayer guarding an athletic guard at the 3 spot from the other team. I could definitely be wrong, it's just a guess on my part.

To be honest, based off how it looks right now I think we'd probably see Horvath getting minutes as the backup 4 and playing a Center alongside Horvath when Bean is on the bench (which probably won't be much).

aggietime

Post by aggietime » April 19th, 2021, 12:46 pm

Two more scholarships left assuming Marco doesn't change his mind, right? If Brock's back is as bad as the rumors, my first wish is a 6' 6" ish 3 and D small forward who can play right away. Second wish is a senior PG who can give Ashworth another year to develop as a backup.

It will be interesting to see what Odom is able to pull off. No one else from UMBC looks like top of the MW caliber players, so that river is likely dry. Tons of other options in the portal that could fill the roster gaps.

Real Life Aggie

Post by Real Life Aggie » April 19th, 2021, 1:16 pm

aggietime wrote:
April 19th, 2021, 12:46 pm
Two more scholarships left assuming Marco doesn't change his mind, right? If Brock's back is as bad as the rumors, my first wish is a 6' 6" ish 3 and D small forward who can play right away. Second wish is a senior PG who can give Ashworth another year to develop as a backup.

It will be interesting to see what Odom is able to pull off. No one else from UMBC looks like top of the MW caliber players, so that river is likely dry. Tons of other options in the portal that could fill the roster gaps.
It was one person's post. I've not seen anything reliable. Has this changed? @aggies22?

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » April 19th, 2021, 1:20 pm

Real Life Aggie wrote:
April 19th, 2021, 1:16 pm
aggietime wrote:

It was one person's post. I've not seen anything reliable. Has this changed? @aggies22?
My recollection is that we had someone say he’s retiring, someone say he was still planning on coming back, and someone also say that no decision has been made as to whether he can medically return.

To me, the last sounds most likely. I am sure Brock wants to come back if his back will allow it, and I want him back.
Last edited by ineptimusprime on April 19th, 2021, 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » April 19th, 2021, 1:21 pm

Real Life Aggie wrote:
aggietime wrote:

All I've been told is that Brock plans on playing next season.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post (total 2):
Real Life Aggieineptimusprime

AggieFBObsession

Post by AggieFBObsession » April 19th, 2021, 1:30 pm

Roy McAvoy wrote:
April 19th, 2021, 12:21 pm
My guess for the depth chart right now:

G) Steven Ashworth, RJ Eytle-Rock
I like Ashworth, but this is a big concern at this point. So is the SF position. Even IF Miller is healed, I doubt it's completely healed. Back problems don't go away easily.

cval

Post by cval » April 19th, 2021, 1:44 pm

I think the experience Ashworth got this past year is going to turn out to be really valuable. I expect him to surprise in a good way.
These users thanked the author cval for the post (total 2):
slcaggGUS

aggietime

Post by aggietime » April 19th, 2021, 4:13 pm

Real Life Aggie wrote:
aggietime wrote:

One person's post and over a month of him either playing limited minutes or hobbling around like he was in his 80s. Hopefully he can play, but even if he comes back I'd hope we have someone who can play 10-15 minutes a game to lighten the number of minutes he has to play - as others have said, back pain is usually chronic, and usually only eased by rest.

For the record, I like Brock - above average defender and can get really hot from 3. The 12 conference games he played through the UNLV trip he was shooting 44% from 3 on a high volume...that's a dude we want around. I'm convinced his back pain is part of the reason the last 9 games he was so off. I hope he comes back and is healthy, but solving back pain is no easy feat.

ThunderAggie

Post by ThunderAggie » April 19th, 2021, 4:59 pm

Any chance that Marco comes back? We could use his defensive abilities. Plus I think he can take a step forward with his offense.

Real Life Aggie

Post by Real Life Aggie » April 19th, 2021, 5:20 pm

aggietime wrote:
April 19th, 2021, 4:13 pm
Real Life Aggie wrote:
aggietime wrote:

One person's post and over a month of him either playing limited minutes or hobbling around like he was in his 80s. Hopefully he can play, but even if he comes back I'd hope we have someone who can play 10-15 minutes a game to lighten the number of minutes he has to play - as others have said, back pain is usually chronic, and usually only eased by rest.

For the record, I like Brock - above average defender and can get really hot from 3. The 12 conference games he played through the UNLV trip he was shooting 44% from 3 on a high volume...that's a dude we want around. I'm convinced his back pain is part of the reason the last 9 games he was so off. I hope he comes back and is healthy, but solving back pain is no easy feat.
You were part of the group saying that Queta must not have made grades, weren't you?

aggietime

Post by aggietime » April 19th, 2021, 5:30 pm

Real Life Aggie wrote:
April 19th, 2021, 5:20 pm
aggietime wrote:
April 19th, 2021, 4:13 pm
Real Life Aggie wrote:
aggietime wrote:

You were part of the group saying that Queta must not have made grades, weren't you?
Mmm nope. Try again. Are you holding out hope for more bigs? Not sure how wanting another wing is controversial.

Pacobag

Post by Pacobag » April 24th, 2021, 2:16 pm

Updated:

PG - Transfer A (25) / Ashworth (15)
SG - Eytle-Rock (25) / Shulga (15)
SF - Miller (25) / Bairstow (15)
PF - Bean (30) / McChesney (10)
C - Horvath (30) / Dorius or Zapala (10)

If Miller isn’t available, replace with Transfer B. I don't know enough about Potter or Muzamil to have an opinion on whether they are likely to beat out anyone for minutes.

mcaggie1

Post by mcaggie1 » May 7th, 2021, 12:07 pm

If Jones is a sure thing....which it looks like he is.

Jones, Ashworth
Eytle-Rock, Shulga, Miller
McChesney, Bairstow
Bean, Horvath, Potter
Horvath, Dorius, Zapalla
Last edited by mcaggie1 on May 7th, 2021, 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » May 7th, 2021, 12:09 pm

mcaggie1 wrote:
May 7th, 2021, 12:07 pm

Jones, Ashworth
McChesney, Bairstow
Bean, Horvath
Horvath, Dorius
There should be sanctions on this board for unwarranted Miller slander.
These users thanked the author ineptimusprime for the post (total 6):
AggieArmygomretataggieguy13brossp24Real Life AggieMetsJetsAggies

cval

Post by cval » May 7th, 2021, 12:43 pm

Are you thinking Miller is injured, or just gets beat out for playing time. If he is healthy, you know better than this. :lol:

mcaggie1

Post by mcaggie1 » May 8th, 2021, 9:05 am

ineptimusprime wrote:
May 7th, 2021, 12:09 pm
mcaggie1 wrote:

Jones, Ashworth
McChesney, Bairstow
Bean, Horvath
Horvath, Dorius
Sorry, I should have explained. I have had back problems for over 30 years, and I know what Brock is going through. That kind of ailment doesn’t go away easily. I like Miller, but I just don’t think he will last long. I hope I am wrong.

3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff

Post by 3rdGenAggie » May 8th, 2021, 10:52 am

mcaggie1 wrote:

Jones, Ashworth
McChesney, Bairstow
Bean, Horvath, Potter
Horvath, Dorius, Zapalla
With the latest news, in expect it will be Thielssen starting at the 3.
These users thanked the author 3rdGenAggie for the post:
IdaAg93

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

Aggie84025

Re: Roster prediction

Post by Aggie84025 » May 8th, 2021, 7:46 pm

WIth Thiellsen and Jones finalizing the roster I actually am super happy with how it worked out. We brought in some 3-4 year veteran guys in Rock and Horvath to steady the ship and give us the scoring we will absolutely need. We also brought in Jones who can be an impact guy immediately and still have 2-3 years left of eligibility. Add in the 2 freshman who have a lot of upside and I think Odom did a great job for his first class. Depending on how the chemistry is with the team I think the Aggies can be really competitive next year.
These users thanked the author Aggie84025 for the post (total 2):
BLUERUFiOIdaAg93

scotlandog

Post by scotlandog » May 8th, 2021, 7:52 pm

Aggie84025 wrote:WIth Thiellsen and Jones finalizing the roster I actually am super happy with how it worked out. We brought in some 3-4 year veteran guys in Rock and Horvath to steady the ship and give us the scoring we will absolutely need. We also brought in Jones who can be an impact guy immediately and still have 2-3 years left of eligibility. Add in the 2 freshman who have a lot of upside and I think Odom did a great job for his first class. Depending on how the chemistry is with the team I think the Aggies can be really competitive next year.
Every year with new players coming in you worry about chemistry to some extent but I think more so than ever the first year of a new coach who brought in a lot of new guys, some to replace those that have been there and have had lots of playing time. I think you hit on something really important here. We have enjoyed great chemistry over the last few years and I hope all the players come together with no issues. Of concern for me is Ashworth with Jones coming in but I would hope everyone else is ok where they are. We’ll see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » May 8th, 2021, 8:03 pm

scotlandog wrote:
May 8th, 2021, 7:52 pm
Aggie84025 wrote:WIth Thiellsen and Jones finalizing the roster I actually am super happy with how it worked out. We brought in some 3-4 year veteran guys in Rock and Horvath to steady the ship and give us the scoring we will absolutely need. We also brought in Jones who can be an impact guy immediately and still have 2-3 years left of eligibility. Add in the 2 freshman who have a lot of upside and I think Odom did a great job for his first class. Depending on how the chemistry is with the team I think the Aggies can be really competitive next year.
Every year with new players coming in you worry about chemistry to some extent but I think more so than ever the first year of a new coach who brought in a lot of new guys, some to replace those that have been there and have had lots of playing time. I think you hit on something really important here. We have enjoyed great chemistry over the last few years and I hope all the players come together with no issues. Of concern for me is Ashworth with Jones coming in but I would hope everyone else is ok where they are. We’ll see.

Be interesting to see how it plays out. Odom has mentioned numerous how connected the players are that stayed. I hope with the newcomers they can be just as connected and welcoming. Bean and Miller are super mature and I think will really make an atmosphere that is welcoming to the others. Ashworth I think will be fine as well.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » May 8th, 2021, 8:12 pm

mcaggie1 wrote:
May 8th, 2021, 9:05 am
ineptimusprime wrote:
mcaggie1 wrote:

Jones, Ashworth
McChesney, Bairstow
Bean, Horvath
Horvath, Dorius
Sorry, I should have explained. I have had back problems for over 30 years, and I know what Brock is going through. That kind of ailment doesn’t go away easily. I like Miller, but I just don’t think he will last long. I hope I am wrong.
I get ya. A healthy Brock is great for our team, but if Brock’s back is bad enough that he’s going to fall to third on the depth chart, I hope he hangs ‘em up now not only for the sake of the team, but for his future health. It is not worth putting his back through hell to be a third stringer.
These users thanked the author ineptimusprime for the post (total 2):
Aggie84025BLUERUFiO

OrangeCountyAggie

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » May 8th, 2021, 10:00 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:
May 8th, 2021, 8:12 pm
mcaggie1 wrote:
May 8th, 2021, 9:05 am
ineptimusprime wrote:
mcaggie1 wrote:

Jones, Ashworth
McChesney, Bairstow
Bean, Horvath
Horvath, Dorius
I get ya. A healthy Brock is great for our team, but if Brock’s back is bad enough that he’s going to fall to third on the depth chart, I hope he hangs ‘em up now not only for the sake of the team, but for his future health. It is not worth putting his back through hell to be a third stringer.
He'll likely be third string even if healthy.

AGGIEinIOWA

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » May 8th, 2021, 11:10 pm

Coach Odom has talked about Brock’s leadership on this team. Brock is a good and gutsy player when he’s healthy and a great teammate all the time. I like what he brings. Perhaps if his minutes could be limited to 15-20 per game he could remain healthy and effective and still play a key role. Would also give Bairstow, Thelissen, or McBuckets an opportunity to get some minutes.
These users thanked the author AGGIEinIOWA for the post (total 4):
aggies22Real Life Aggiemcaggie1AggieFBObsession

LoveMyAggies

Post by LoveMyAggies » May 11th, 2021, 9:54 am

scotlandog wrote:
May 8th, 2021, 7:52 pm

I know these are kids in their 20's, and emotions can get hurt at times. I'm not looking at this team to be a typical PG, SG, SF, PF, C group.

I looked at a few games from UMCB and they played small ball at times with all guards and Horvath. Not always of course. I like that Odom thinks outside of the box. I hope the players see that, and those who earn them get significant minutes. I have no problem when we play a team like CSU or SDSU, throw some small ball at them with Horvath/Bean being the F/C spot on offense. The team needs to learn to fight through screens and help out with switches. Queta isn't there anymore.

With that being said, it could speed up the game and provide some trapping opportunities and presses to force turnovers.

Last year's team was about setting up the defense post points, not something I'm a huge fan of always. I liked how Stew would change defenses and make it hard for the other teams to score. Lots of opportunities for the players to excel and learn Odom's system. Just some random thoughts, I pray the chemistry is there and they get really good playing with each other.

newhouse9

Post by newhouse9 » May 11th, 2021, 9:58 am

I'm really excited to see how this team develops with Coach O. Can't wait to get in the Spectrum again, but I'm also not wishing away football season! May we have a wonderful, fall season, highlighted by profound success in football and basketball!
These users thanked the author newhouse9 for the post (total 2):
slcagg3rdGenAggie

BLUERUFiO

Post by BLUERUFiO » May 11th, 2021, 10:10 am

newhouse9 wrote:
May 11th, 2021, 9:58 am
May we have a wonderful, fall season, highlighted by profound success in football and basketball!
Amen! Now let's eat.
These users thanked the author BLUERUFiO for the post:
sam tingey

GO AGGIES! GO AGGIES! HEY! HEY! HEY!

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » May 11th, 2021, 10:32 am

I like the idea of seeing both Jones and Ashworth on the court at the same time - especially against teams that like to press. They can push the ball up the court and get early offense/fast break points.
These users thanked the author Yossarian for the post:
mcaggie1

Eutaw St. Aggie

AGGIEinIOWA

Roster predictions

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » May 14th, 2021, 1:30 pm

So with the 14=13 mystery solved we have a clearer roster now and I’ll take a stab.

Jones (25), Ashworth (15)
Eytle-Rock (25), Shulga (15)
Miller (20), Bairstow (10), Thelissen (10)
Bean (30), Horvath (10)
Horvath (20), Dorius (10), Zapala (10)

I think possibly 2 of Potter, Brenchley, and Hamoda redshirt, unless any of them are too good to keep off the floor or an injury happens ahead of them. I don’t think Wickizer sees any meaningful minutes.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » May 14th, 2021, 2:03 pm

AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
May 14th, 2021, 1:30 pm
So with the 14=13 mystery solved we have a clearer roster now and I’ll take a stab.

Bean (30), Horvath (10)

I think possibly 2 of Potter, Brenchley, and Hamoda redshirt, unless any of them are too good to keep off the floor or an injury happens ahead of them. I don’t think Wickizer sees any meaningful minutes.
Who knows how the team will come together. Based on Smith leaving as well as Anthony, Worster and Anderson i am pretty pleased with how the roster played out. Certainly a lot of unknowns, but there is a lot of potential talent in that group. Excited to see how it comes together. In my opinion with the right coaching and team chemistry there is potential with this group.

scotlandog

Post by scotlandog » May 14th, 2021, 8:18 pm

AGGIEinIOWA wrote:So with the 14=13 mystery solved we have a clearer roster now and I’ll take a stab.

Bean (30), Horvath (10)

I thought Thelissen is supposed to be really good, a little older/mature having played a lot in Europe before coming. Do we think he is really only 10mins worthy? Only as good as Bairstow? I’ll have to go watch some film on the Flying Dutchmen and evaluate some more. I was hoping he would be good enough to contribute more.

BLUERUFiO

Post by BLUERUFiO » May 14th, 2021, 8:23 pm

scotlandog wrote:
May 14th, 2021, 8:18 pm
AGGIEinIOWA wrote:So with the 14=13 mystery solved we have a clearer roster now and I’ll take a stab.

Bean (30), Horvath (10)

I thought Thelissen is supposed to be really good, a little older/mature having played a lot in Europe before coming. Do we think he is really only 10mins worthy? Only as good as Bairstow? I’ll have to go watch some film on the Flying Dutchmen and evaluate some more. I was hoping he would be good enough to contribute more.

100% with you on where you’re going with this. I’d give the Flying Dutchmen all of Bairstow’s minutes to get the Dutchmen up to 20+.
These users thanked the author BLUERUFiO for the post:
Real Life Aggie

GO AGGIES! GO AGGIES! HEY! HEY! HEY!

nswaggie

Post by nswaggie » May 14th, 2021, 8:27 pm

BLUERUFiO wrote:
May 14th, 2021, 8:23 pm
scotlandog wrote:
May 14th, 2021, 8:18 pm

Bean (30), Horvath (10)

100% with you on where you’re going with this. I’d give the Flying Dutchmen all of Bairstow’s minutes to get the Dutchmen up to 20+.
Depending on Miller’s Health I’d possibly give the Dutchman some of Miller’s minutes.

Locked Previous topicNext topic