Future recruiting advice for Odom

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
GameFAQSAggie

Re: Future recruiting advice for Odom

Post by GameFAQSAggie » April 16th, 2021, 11:26 am

LarryTheAggie wrote:
April 16th, 2021, 11:14 am
Yeah like Marco Anthony, or Lew Evans, or Kyle Davis, or Alphonso Anderson?
The difference is Marco Anthony still had the green light to leave cause of his one free transfer under the new rule, with his transfer being under the old rule. There will always be players like Kyle Davis who just have differences with the coaches. Anderson would have been done here if not for the extra year. And there will always be players who want to go to grad school somewhere else.

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » April 16th, 2021, 11:36 am

Imakeitrain wrote:Disagree. If we have a lot of kids that go to big schools that means we are winning. Get the best players we can. If enough start leaving it means we are winning and we’ll get a bigger pool of good players.

Once kids step onto campus other things start to matter too. Not everyone is going to transfer. They’re going to war for USU, their social life revolves around USU. It’s a big step to transfer and not everyone will want to.

Bean could play at almost any school. Remember, Abel Porter transferred to Ohio State and in my opinion Bean is a better player than Porter. Bean chose to stay at Utah State.
Do you think I’m saying that we shouldn’t recruit the highest rated and best players available?

Because I’m clearly not. We need to recruit them and keep them. Wyoming losing Marcus Williams is really bad for them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LarryTheAggie

Post by LarryTheAggie » April 16th, 2021, 11:40 am

GameFAQSAggie wrote:
April 16th, 2021, 11:26 am
LarryTheAggie wrote:
The difference is Marco Anthony still had the green light to leave cause of his one free transfer under the new rule, with his transfer being under the old rule. There will always be players like Kyle Davis who just have differences with the coaches. Anderson would have been done here if not for the extra year. And there will always be players who want to go to grad school somewhere else.
Does the new rule still allow for grad transfers? Or do you have to sit out a year even as a grad transfer if you have already transfered?

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » April 16th, 2021, 12:10 pm

2004AG wrote:
April 16th, 2021, 11:36 am
Imakeitrain wrote:Disagree. If we have a lot of kids that go to big schools that means we are winning. Get the best players we can. If enough start leaving it means we are winning and we’ll get a bigger pool of good players.

Once kids step onto campus other things start to matter too. Not everyone is going to transfer. They’re going to war for USU, their social life revolves around USU. It’s a big step to transfer and not everyone will want to.

Bean could play at almost any school. Remember, Abel Porter transferred to Ohio State and in my opinion Bean is a better player than Porter. Bean chose to stay at Utah State.
Do you think I’m saying that we shouldn’t recruit the highest rated and best players available?

Because I’m clearly not. We need to recruit them and keep them. Wyoming losing Marcus Williams is really bad for them.

I don’t think that’s what you’re intending. But I don’t think we should slow down hs recruiting.

I do think it’s important to not rely too heavily on one player and to and have a diversified recruiting approach. You’re right that there is limited time and residences in recruiting and that transfer can be fruitful.

I’m honestly more worried about the effect on football anyway. Does Chuckie Keeton or Jordan Love stay 3-4 years at USU if the SEC came knocking?

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » April 16th, 2021, 12:23 pm

Imakeitrain wrote:
April 16th, 2021, 12:10 pm
2004AG wrote:

I don’t think that’s what you’re intending. But I don’t think we should slow down hs recruiting.

I do think it’s important to not rely too heavily on one player and to and have a diversified recruiting approach. You’re right that there is limited time and residences in recruiting and that transfer can be fruitful.

I’m honestly more worried about the effect on football anyway. Does Chuckie Keeton or Jordan Love stay 3-4 years at USU if the SEC came knocking?
For every dude that leaves a G5 for a P5 to test their fortune, there will be 4 to 5 P5 guys looking to move to down for an opportunity at playing time. When the 5 or 6 P5 guys we brought in this year all become significant contributors that will make us a more attractive place for P5 guys looking for a chance.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post:
Imakeitrain

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » April 16th, 2021, 12:25 pm

LarryTheAggie wrote:
April 16th, 2021, 11:40 am
GameFAQSAggie wrote:
LarryTheAggie wrote:
Does the new rule still allow for grad transfers? Or do you have to sit out a year even as a grad transfer if you have already transfered?
Once a kid graduates he is free to move from school to school with no penalty. Graduating sort of gives you a free pass.

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » April 16th, 2021, 12:37 pm

Aggieiester wrote:
April 16th, 2021, 7:45 am
aggies22 wrote:
April 16th, 2021, 7:13 am
I won't be surprised when the only real high school recruiting we do is going after mission kids because they are more likely to remain at Utah State once they get here. And we've typically had tremendous success with mission kids. They play very well once they return.
Says Jordan Stone, Danny Berger, David Collette, Kyle Davis, And a whole bunch of others that just disappeared from rosters. I don't think even BYU would do this

Handle recruiting just like you would hiring a coach, get the best you can. I don't care if they are a Freshman, RM,, Grad Transfer international or out of the portal. I'd much rather have turnover of good players on the roster then a bunch of players on the roster that nobody else wants.
The sad part about the list of RM's you mentioned:

Jordan Stone: BYU Hawaii
Danny Berger: BYU Hawaii
Kyle Davis: BYU
David Collette: Utah

3 of the 4 went to a BYU school, and Collette went to Utah.

BYU is always looking at pulling away mission kids. We've got examples from the past like Bryon Ruffner, Skyler Halford, and the classic Riley Nelson case (football) that actually led to the NCAA creating a new rule to protect teams from what happened there.

They also actively recruit mission kids who have yet to play at the schools for which they've signed. They were successful with Cory Calvert, but not successful with Brady Jardine. I believe BYU also tried to get Tai Wesley to join them upon returning from his mission after he had already redshirted a year at Utah State (pre-mission). Luckily for us, they really botched his high school recruitment the first time around and he took it personally.
These users thanked the author treesap32 for the post (total 2):
Real Life AggieGUS

LarryTheAggie

Post by LarryTheAggie » April 16th, 2021, 12:50 pm

aggies22 wrote:
April 16th, 2021, 12:25 pm
LarryTheAggie wrote:
GameFAQSAggie wrote:
LarryTheAggie wrote:
Once a kid graduates he is free to move from school to school with no penalty. Graduating sort of gives you a free pass.
Right, so transferring to USU as a sophomore or junior does not stop them at all from grad transferring again after their junior year. so if our concern is that a high school recruit will transfer away after one year we should be equally concerned that a transfer will grad transfer. In fact, I would guess that someone that has already transfered once is more likely to transfer again.

It's a dumb thing to worry about either way. Recruit the best players you can get and don't worry if they will transfer.

Pacobag

Post by Pacobag » April 16th, 2021, 1:26 pm

Imakeitrain wrote:
2004AG wrote:

Semantics?

Would you both agree that:
A- Bringing in a successful player that makes significant contributions during his first year at USU is good.
B- Losing one of our better players to a transfer is bad.

The transfer of a one year USU player to a “big time” program may indicate both A and B occurred.
These users thanked the author Pacobag for the post:
LarryTheAggie

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » April 16th, 2021, 1:32 pm

LarryTheAggie wrote:
April 16th, 2021, 12:50 pm
aggies22 wrote:
LarryTheAggie wrote:
GameFAQSAggie wrote:
LarryTheAggie wrote:
Right, so transferring to USU as a sophomore or junior does not stop them at all from grad transferring again after their junior year. so if our concern is that a high school recruit will transfer away after one year we should be equally concerned that a transfer will grad transfer. In fact, I would guess that someone that has already transfered once is more likely to transfer again.

It's a dumb thing to worry about either way. Recruit the best players you can get and don't worry if they will transfer.
Only a select few kids who do enough AP classes would graduate and be able to transfer again after their true junior year, so we would be more likely to lose kids we get as third year sophomores as opposed to second year sophomores. And even if they transfer again after their fourth year junior year, at least they are experienced sophomores and juniors while we have tham as opposed to freshmen.

BigBlueBlood

Post by BigBlueBlood » April 16th, 2021, 1:35 pm

aggies22 wrote:
April 16th, 2021, 7:54 am
Aggieiester wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
I won't be surprised when the only real high school recruiting we do is going after mission kids because they are more likely to remain at Utah State once they get here. And we've typically had tremendous success with mission kids. They play very well once they return.
Says Jordan Stone, Danny Berger, David Collette, Kyle Davis, And a whole bunch of others that just disappeared from rosters. I don't think even BYU would do this

Handle recruiting just like you would hiring a coach, get the best you can. I don't care if they are a Freshman, RM,, Grad Transfer international or out of the portal. I'd much rather have turnover of good players on the roster then a bunch of players on the roster that nobody else wants.

Usually, however, it's not a clear choice between those two extremes. Often it's somewhere in the middle. A young player shows promise and perhaps contributes, but his contribution is pedestrian or average currently, but is expected to blossom later in the sophomore and even more so in the junior and senior years. He's the kind of player we risk loosing, as well. If we lose him as a senior, the impact might be less because we did get one, maybe two, years out of him. However, a lot of effort went into that development and a coach can't always have a ringer behind every starter in anticipation of losing players to the transfer portal every year. Coaches recruit to fill holes and prepare for seasons to come. Moreover, one risks losing the developed player AND the up and comer together because players have no immediate consequence of transferring. Lastly, it's not just a matter of getting the best player you can, rather, you get the best player you need. Once you have two great centers, you're not looking for another one at the expense of a hole at guard play. However, if one or both of the centers can leave at the moment a P5 whistles, then a problem ensues. I agree with your statement generally, but in practice I do believe it takes more thought and strategy, and it's made all the more difficult because of the transfer rules. Thankfully, everyone has to deal with it.

Real Life Aggie

Post by Real Life Aggie » April 16th, 2021, 1:37 pm

treesap32 wrote:
April 16th, 2021, 12:37 pm
Aggieiester wrote:
aggies22 wrote:

The sad part about the list of RM's you mentioned:

Jordan Stone: BYU Hawaii
Danny Berger: BYU Hawaii
Kyle Davis: BYU
David Collette: Utah

3 of the 4 went to a BYU school, and Collette went to Utah.

BYU is always looking at pulling away mission kids. We've got examples from the past like Bryon Ruffner, Skyler Halford, and the classic Riley Nelson case (football) that actually led to the NCAA creating a new rule to protect teams from what happened there.

They also actively recruit mission kids who have yet to play at the schools for which they've signed. They were successful with Cory Calvert, but not successful with Brady Jardine. I believe BYU also tried to get Tai Wesley to join them upon returning from his mission after he had already redshirted a year at Utah State (pre-mission). Luckily for us, they really botched his high school recruitment the first time around and he took it personally.
Hell yeah they did, and he definitely took it personally. Suck it, zoobs.

LarryTheAggie

Post by LarryTheAggie » April 16th, 2021, 1:47 pm

GameFAQSAggie wrote:
April 16th, 2021, 1:32 pm
LarryTheAggie wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
LarryTheAggie wrote:
GameFAQSAggie wrote:
LarryTheAggie wrote:

Only a select few kids who do enough AP classes would graduate and be able to transfer again after their true junior year, so we would be more likely to lose kids we get as third year sophomores as opposed to second year sophomores. And even if they transfer again after their fourth year junior year, at least they are experienced sophomores and juniors while we have tham as opposed to freshmen.
That is not what I meant. A player does a normal transfer after their freshman or sophmore, can still grad transfer after their junior year. See Lew Evans.

Full

Post by Full » April 16th, 2021, 2:07 pm

After thinking about what changes are in store, I think the players who show potential are the loser. You can no longer add a player to redshirt and work on part of their game. If a player needs to put on weight or is a defensive liability you pass, and take a more polished player with a lower ceiling

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » April 16th, 2021, 2:39 pm

Pacobag wrote:
April 16th, 2021, 1:26 pm
Imakeitrain wrote:
2004AG wrote:

Semantics?

Would you both agree that:
A- Bringing in a successful player that makes significant contributions during his first year at USU is good.
B- Losing one of our better players to a transfer is bad.

The transfer of a one year USU player to a “big time” program may indicate both A and B occurred.
I don’t disagree. I’m not sure what I’m saying that people are arguing against.
These users thanked the author Imakeitrain for the post:
Pacobag

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » April 16th, 2021, 2:58 pm

LarryTheAggie wrote:
April 16th, 2021, 1:47 pm
GameFAQSAggie wrote:
LarryTheAggie wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
LarryTheAggie wrote:
GameFAQSAggie wrote:
LarryTheAggie wrote:

That is not what I meant. A player does a normal transfer after their freshman or sophmore, can still grad transfer after their junior year. See Lew Evans.
But at least we got Lew as an experienced junior as opposed to him as an inexperienced freshman. And besides, if he was able to play here without sitting out after transferring from Tulsa, we would have gotten him as a junior and senior, with him out of eligiblity when he graduated.

LarryTheAggie

Post by LarryTheAggie » April 16th, 2021, 3:00 pm

GameFAQSAggie wrote:
April 16th, 2021, 2:58 pm
LarryTheAggie wrote:
April 16th, 2021, 1:47 pm
GameFAQSAggie wrote:
LarryTheAggie wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
LarryTheAggie wrote:
GameFAQSAggie wrote:
LarryTheAggie wrote:

But at least we got Lew as an experienced junior as opposed to him as an inexperienced freshman. And besides, if he was able to play here without sitting out after transferring from Tulsa, we would have gotten him as a junior and senior, with him out of eligiblity when he graduated.
Right but if you had to do one again, would you take Koby McEwen or Lew Evans?

FireAg

Post by FireAg » April 16th, 2021, 4:01 pm

ratofallaggies wrote:
April 16th, 2021, 8:44 am
Solid, has anyone emailed this advice to him yet? Wondering what the response was if so :)
Surely, any good coach would make an alias and get on the message board within a day or two of getting hired. How else could they get the expert advice to learn how to do their job.

I may actually be Coach Odom and throw stuff to the board to get ideas and information. Possibly, I created an alias a decade ago just in case I ever got a job here, and just paid enough attention to occasionally post and get a little credibility. If that's the case, most of you guys are probably up and coming coaches all over the country as well doing the same thing. And this is probably a gathering of the best basketball minds ever.
Last edited by FireAg on April 16th, 2021, 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author FireAg for the post:
Pacobag

FireAg

Post by FireAg » April 16th, 2021, 4:35 pm

My thought is that for “comparable” recruits, you should get players that have a higher likelihood of staying the full 4 years. For instance, knowing what we know now, we would be much better off having started and played Ashworth over Worster this last season as they are “comparable” skilled players and (assuming Ashworth doesn’t leave as well) would like to use those minutes to develop an Aggie player for the future rather than for someone else. If we had a Jalen Suggs type recruit (or any one and done player that is considerably better than our other players) for one year, that would be awesome. I would take it every time - and we would go a long ways, win a lot of games and have a lot of fun. Trading journeyman farmhands for other journeyman farmhands every year is less appealing to me as a fan.

I believe we have better chances of keeping Aggie legacy kids or mission kids (that are really good) for the full four years. The examples of guys like Collette or Davis may be the exception that helps prove the rule. Guys like Berger were never going to be impact players that won tournament games for us and nobody begrudges them for leaving.

Aggie legacy guys (Jalen Moore), mission kids (Bean) or both (Sam) are much likely to stay - Maybe it’s because they understand the college dynamics of Utah. Collette will forever be vilified for the way he left and where he went. Rollie probably won’t be blamed as much as Collette but I sure would like his minutes to have been used to develop Ashworth.

coolag

Post by coolag » April 16th, 2021, 4:47 pm

Stew could never coach in today's game/recruiting. Even guys like coach K and Tom Izzo are fading fast.
These users thanked the author coolag for the post:
aggies22

Regulator of Class

Real Life Aggie

Post by Real Life Aggie » April 16th, 2021, 5:02 pm

FireAg wrote:
April 16th, 2021, 4:35 pm
My thought is that for “comparable” recruits, you should get players that have a higher likelihood of staying the full 4 years. For instance, knowing what we know now, we would be much better off having started and played Ashworth over Worster this last season as they are “comparable” skilled players and (assuming Ashworth doesn’t leave as well) would like to use those minutes to develop an Aggie player for the future rather than for someone else. If we had a Jalen Suggs type recruit (or any one and done player that is considerably better than our other players) for one year, that would be awesome. I would take it every time - and we would go a long ways, win a lot of games and have a lot of fun. Trading journeyman farmhands for other journeyman farmhands every year is less appealing to me as a fan.

I believe we have better chances of keeping Aggie legacy kids or mission kids (that are really good) for the full four years. The examples of guys like Collette or Davis may be the exception that helps prove the rule. Guys like Berger were never going to be impact players that won tournament games for us and nobody begrudges them for leaving.

Aggie legacy guys (Jalen Moore), mission kids (Bean) or both (Sam) are much likely to stay - Maybe it’s because they understand the college dynamics of Utah. Collette will forever be vilified for the way he left and where he went. Rollie probably won’t be blamed as much as Collette but I sure would like his minutes to have been used to develop Ashworth.
I get your point, and in hindsight, that development into Ashworth would be great. But my understanding was that Rollie earned that spot over Ashworth. Not that Ashworth was bad, and he clearly is a great player with significant potential. We're lucky to have him! But it wasn't just dumb luck that Rollie got more PT. He fought for it and came out on top.

AgMan21

Post by AgMan21 » April 16th, 2021, 5:08 pm

Am I off base thinking that this won’t be the biggest problem for USU? I mean the players transferring were either not getting minutes (Fonz, Kuba) or only leaving because of a coaching change (Worster, Anthony). The former has always happened and usually involves roll players that weren’t going to start next year, and the latter isn’t going to happen every year (hopefully). Even Koby left primarily because the coach that recruited him was gone. I just don’t see this as a big problem for USU. Am I wrong?

OrangeCountyAggie

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » April 17th, 2021, 1:47 am

FireAg wrote:
April 15th, 2021, 9:51 pm
With the new transfer rule, you don’t want to waste too much time, energy and resources recruiting high school kids - spend it recruiting transfers burning their free transfer. There are, as mentioned in other threads,, a couple of exceptions: Aggie legacy kids and (for the most part) mission kids.
For the most part, recruiting high school kids will be like raising corn to feed another man’s hogs.
This is a loser mentality. I was never afraid to ask hot girls out because I was worried they would be stolen away by other guys! Go out and find the best talent wherever you can and convince them to play and stay at USU.

While everyone is wetting themselves over the transfer portal, you might be able to find incredible talent elsewhere (HS, JC's, international) why limit yourself because you're scared someone might leave?

JonnyCienPesos

Post by JonnyCienPesos » April 17th, 2021, 7:50 am

OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
FireAg wrote:
With the new transfer rule, you don’t want to waste too much time, energy and resources recruiting high school kids - spend it recruiting transfers burning their free transfer. There are, as mentioned in other threads,, a couple of exceptions: Aggie legacy kids and (for the most part) mission kids.
For the most part, recruiting high school kids will be like raising corn to feed another man’s hogs.
This is a loser mentality. I was never afraid to ask hot girls out because I was worried they would be stolen away by other guys! Go out and find the best talent wherever you can and convince them to play and stay at USU.

While everyone is wetting themselves over the transfer portal, you might be able to find incredible talent elsewhere (HS, JC's, international) why limit yourself because you're scared someone might leave?
I like comparing dating to recruiting because they’re exactly the same!

I'm actually really smart, probably smarter than you are so if you disagree with what I have stated in this post, you are likely wrong (and dumb).

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » April 17th, 2021, 8:01 am

JonnyCienPesos wrote:
April 17th, 2021, 7:50 am
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
FireAg wrote:

But if he had tried to use a different analogy, he wouldn’t have been able to slide in that not-quite-subtle flex of him having dated a lot of really hot women. :lol:

Real Life Aggie

Post by Real Life Aggie » April 17th, 2021, 9:28 am

ineptimusprime wrote:
April 17th, 2021, 8:01 am
JonnyCienPesos wrote:
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
FireAg wrote:

But if he had tried to use a different analogy, he wouldn’t have been able to slide in that not-quite-subtle flex of him having dated a lot of really hot women. :lol:
He's from the OC, about the only area in the world with more bleached blonde women than UT; they must be super attractive!

OrangeCountyAggie

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » April 17th, 2021, 10:41 pm

Real Life Aggie wrote:
April 17th, 2021, 9:28 am
ineptimusprime wrote:
April 17th, 2021, 8:01 am
JonnyCienPesos wrote:
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
FireAg wrote:

He's from the OC, about the only area in the world with more bleached blonde women than UT; they must be super attractive!
Fake blonds everywhere! Luckily my dating days are behind me, fun while it lasted 😎

Locked Previous topicNext topic