Brandon Horvath commits to USU

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Aggie84025

Re: Brandon Horvath commits to USU

Post by Aggie84025 » April 15th, 2021, 2:46 pm

slcagg wrote:
April 15th, 2021, 1:57 pm
Roy McAvoy wrote:
April 15th, 2021, 1:52 pm
Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
April 15th, 2021, 1:50 pm
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
April 15th, 2021, 1:24 pm
Intermeddler wrote:
April 15th, 2021, 1:15 pm
Solid addition. Shoots it better from 3 than the point guard we just lost to Utah.
Hit nearly 37% the season before.
We've found one Queta in over 100 years of Aggie basketball. Plus a big like Horvath is a better fit with the new age of basketball unless you can find an elite rim protector.
Yep. This is a good pickup. Replacing Queta was never going to happen and it shouldn't have been expected to happen. That is like saying the Jazz should have replaced Stockton or Malone after they left in 03. Horvath will be good.

Now let's get Eytle-Rock and we will be in serious business.
Like others have said, if we can get Eytle-Rock & then one athletic p5 transfer that’s looking for more playing time I think we’ll be in business.
What would you like that p5 transfer to be under that scenario? Quick guard or long wing?
I would say quick guard, but an athletic wing is needed as well.

newhouse9

Post by newhouse9 » April 15th, 2021, 2:47 pm

umbc32244 wrote:
April 15th, 2021, 2:11 pm
newhouse9 wrote:
April 15th, 2021, 1:52 pm
For anyone in the know, is UMBC's conference a whole lot "lower" than the MWC conference as far as basketball quality?
FWIW, Odom's 2018-19 squad beat an 8-10 MW Air Force squad in 2OT.

Vermont and UMBC have been consistently solid in the past 5 years, and Hartford, Stony Brook and Albany all have good programs. Unfortunately we usually have 2-3 schools (Maine, Binghamton, pre-Odom UMBC) that are absolutely abysmal and drag down the conference's ratings.
Thank you, and all who have commented. I appreciate it!

mcaggie1

Post by mcaggie1 » April 15th, 2021, 3:33 pm

Aggieiester wrote:
April 15th, 2021, 1:54 pm
Yep, still the whitest team in America but regardless, I like the pickup, a grad transfer that fills a need and it's a guy that knows Odom's system and culture. I think that helps a ton to have a player or two like that on the roster.
Well, we picked up an African American assistant coach today. That's gotta be a positive.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » April 15th, 2021, 3:47 pm

Aggie84025 wrote:
April 15th, 2021, 2:44 pm
ineptimusprime wrote:
April 15th, 2021, 1:49 pm
Love it!

I’ll take as many first team all-conference players at the D1 level that we can get.
This is exactly how if feel. We should not be so arrogant as a fanbase to not think that a first team all conference selection from a DI school is not a good addition. He has the size to hopefully defend the paint on defense, but on offense is more than capable of hitting down some 3 point shots.
How many grad transfers have we had that were first team all-conference anywhere?

In his highlights he looks like a much more polished offensive player than Queta. Obviously not near the defensive force or overall athlete, but he’s definitely not a stiff.

SLB

Post by SLB » April 15th, 2021, 3:52 pm

Horvath is a heck of a transfer. Bean, Horvath, Dorius, McChesney, Potter, and Zapala are a pretty exciting group of bigs.
These users thanked the author SLB for the post:
cval

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » April 15th, 2021, 3:53 pm

SLB wrote:
April 15th, 2021, 3:52 pm
Horvath is a heck of a transfer. Bean, Horvath, Dorius, McChesney, Potter, and Zapala are a pretty exciting group of bigs.
Unless someone else leaves, I don’t think we can devote another scholarship to a non-guard.

But I would be happy if at least one more of those listed not named Bean moved on.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » April 15th, 2021, 3:56 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:
April 15th, 2021, 3:53 pm
SLB wrote:
April 15th, 2021, 3:52 pm
Unless someone else leaves, I don’t think we can devote another scholarship to a non-guard.

But I would be happy if at least one more of those listed not named Bean moved on.
Agree, i think now we need some guards and wings.

Aggie in Boise

Post by Aggie in Boise » April 15th, 2021, 4:24 pm

Hopefully we can get this guy and the rest of the team on a strength training program. Our team needs to get physically stronger.

"We've upped our standards, so UP YOURS." Unknown

ususports

Post by ususports » April 15th, 2021, 4:52 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:
April 15th, 2021, 3:47 pm
he’s definitely not a stiff.
TWSS

:shock:

usufan1

Post by usufan1 » April 15th, 2021, 5:07 pm

Blitz79 wrote:
Aglicious wrote:
April 15th, 2021, 1:07 pm
Should be a contributor but not really a needle mover. I'm not sure 47% FG and 30% 3-PT for a 6'-10" guy = good shooter but it does look like he can rebound. I hope he is the only player we are acquiring from the Retrievers.
I agree, we don't need UMBC players. We need top of the MW caliber players. We need to look elsewhere. Even if it's quality HS players that may be poached in a couple of years.
The UMBC players we "don't need" beat a #1 seed in the tourney. They did that with UMBC players and the coach USU just hired. Can we give Coach Odom a chance to see what happens before we downplay everything?

I'm as negative as the next Aggie fan, but geez.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

These users thanked the author usufan1 for the post (total 3):
SLBBLUERUFiOaggiesdotcom

ThunderAggie

Post by ThunderAggie » April 15th, 2021, 5:10 pm

usufan1 wrote:
April 15th, 2021, 5:07 pm
Blitz79 wrote:
Aglicious wrote:
Should be a contributor but not really a needle mover. I'm not sure 47% FG and 30% 3-PT for a 6'-10" guy = good shooter but it does look like he can rebound. I hope he is the only player we are acquiring from the Retrievers.
I agree, we don't need UMBC players. We need top of the MW caliber players. We need to look elsewhere. Even if it's quality HS players that may be poached in a couple of years.
The UMBC players we "don't need" beat a #1 seed in the tourney. They did that with UMBC players and the coach USU just hired. Can we give Coach Odom a chance to see what happens before we downplay everything?

Agreed! I was just reading the American East board and a few of their fans from various schools said "With Horvath leaving, who do you think will win the POY in American East?" And these were not just UMBC fans. Horvath was gonna be an American East POY candidate. We got a great transfer who should help us tremendously.

OrangeCountyAggie

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » April 15th, 2021, 5:17 pm

Aggieiester wrote:
April 15th, 2021, 1:54 pm
Yep, still the whitest team in America but regardless, I like the pickup, a grad transfer that fills a need and it's a guy that knows Odom's system and culture. I think that helps a ton to have a player or two like that on the roster.
I still think when it's all said and done, YBU will still hold that distinction.

OrangeCountyAggie

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » April 15th, 2021, 5:18 pm

umbc32244 wrote:
April 15th, 2021, 1:29 pm
Yes, awesome!

I think he'll be a fan favorite with his energy and leadership. Has the size, athleticism and ball-handling capabilities to play at this level after his 4 successful years at UMBC.

Here's hoping RJ, Akin, or Keondre joins next...
Is he athletic enough to guard the 3? If we have all this size, why not lean into it?

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » April 15th, 2021, 5:23 pm

usufan1 wrote:
Blitz79 wrote:
Aglicious wrote:

I keep reading things like this but the truth is that game was 3 years ago and not a single person on their current roster contributed to that win with the exception of Akin who had 2 points.

That game was won largely on the shoulders of Jairus Lyles, Joe Sherburne, and Arkel Lamar. Players that Odom inherited once he was made HC and are now long gone.

usufan1

Post by usufan1 » April 15th, 2021, 5:28 pm

Aglicious wrote:
usufan1 wrote:
Blitz79 wrote:
Aglicious wrote:

I keep reading things like this but the truth is that game was 3 years ago and not a single person on their current roster contributed to that win with the exception of Akin who had 2 points.

That game was won largely on the shoulders of Jairus Lyles, Joe Sherburne, and Arkel Lamar. Players that Odom inherited once he was made HC and are now long gone.
Yet Odom coached these players he inherited.

Can a coach get any recognition for anything besides losing?

nvspuds

Post by nvspuds » April 15th, 2021, 5:39 pm

I am always ready to give them credit if they have a really good looking wife...But that's just me..

SLB

Post by SLB » April 15th, 2021, 5:41 pm

usufan1 wrote:
April 15th, 2021, 5:28 pm
Aglicious wrote:
usufan1 wrote:
Blitz79 wrote:
Aglicious wrote:

This is like when Craig Smith won with Duryea and Stew players the MWC and went to the NCAA tournament. The truth is that Odom like Craig Smith deserve the credit because he coached them to become winners.
These users thanked the author SLB for the post:
usufan1

usufan1

Post by usufan1 » April 15th, 2021, 5:47 pm

SLB wrote:
usufan1 wrote:
Aglicious wrote:
usufan1 wrote:
Blitz79 wrote:
Aglicious wrote:

This is like when Craig Smith won with Duryea and Stew players the MWC and went to the NCAA tournament. The truth is that Odom like Craig Smith deserve the credit because he coached them to become winners.
Exactly! Coach Smith took our (predicted) lovable losers and won championships.

Talent is important, but so is the mentality and focus a coach can bring.

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » April 15th, 2021, 5:54 pm

usufan1 wrote:
Aglicious wrote:
usufan1 wrote:
Blitz79 wrote:
Aglicious wrote:

No disagreement there. I'm just pointing out that these aren't in fact the players that beat the #1 seed in the tourney and this coach did not recruit those players either. He did coach them and he does deserve credit for that.

I also believe he is a good hire and I hope he brings us long term success.
These users thanked the author Aglicious for the post:
usufan1

umbc32244

Post by umbc32244 » April 15th, 2021, 10:28 pm

Aglicious wrote:
April 15th, 2021, 5:23 pm
usufan1 wrote:
Blitz79 wrote:
Aglicious wrote:

Not to get too far into the weeds here, but Lamar was actually an Odom recruit, as well as KJ Maura, the second best player on that team. Key contributors Daniel Akin and Max Curran (who gave big minutes in AE Title game) were also brought in by Odom. Without those additions the team does not win the league, no matter how awesome Lyles was.

Locked Previous topicNext topic