We have a good amount of young talent.

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Bluened
Has thanked: 0

Re: We have a good amount of young talent.

Post by Bluened » April 13th, 2021, 4:26 pm

SLB wrote:
Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
April 13th, 2021, 3:46 pm
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
April 13th, 2021, 2:28 pm
April 13th, 2021, 9:06 am
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
April 13th, 2021, 1:30 am
April 13th, 2021, 12:09 am
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
April 12th, 2021, 10:43 pm
Baristow, McBuckets, and Ashworth all have the background, the athleticism and unique talents to potentially be building block type players. Will they ever put it together? Who knows.

Neopoleon once said "ability is nothing without opportunity." Assuming they stay, here is their opportunity.
Nope they don't. If those are the 3 players we are building around over the next 3-4 years we will not be making the tournament. Odom needs to bring in better talent than what is on the current roster if we are going to compete for the MW crown and continue making the dance.
A pretty definitive statement, why do you say that?
Really dude? You really think those 3 are going to be the best players on a MW championship team? Keep in mind, our two MW championship teams had 2 NBA players on them. They can be pieces on a great team, but if they are who we are building around, we are in serious trouble. The best Aggie player over the next 3-4 years currently isn't on our roster.
Maybe, but you can't definitely tell me the potential doesn't still exist for one or two of them to blossom into something special. Smith himself said there are "one or two" other guys on this year's roster (outside of Queta) who have NBA potential. All three of them have had (somewhat) limited playing time up until now - my point is, lets not write them off yet.
I'm not writing them off as potential good players, but if they are the core of our team that we are building around for the next 3-4 years, Odom will be much closer to Duryea than to Smith. There is a difference between guys with value like they have and guys who are foundational players that you build around.
I should point out that Odom has never lost a single game in his time as the Aggies head coach.
This!! And he had 1 more tournament win than Smith in his career. Give the man some time!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author Bluened for the post:
SLB

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » April 13th, 2021, 4:30 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:
April 13th, 2021, 7:29 am
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
Baristow, McBuckets, and Ashworth all have the background, the athleticism and unique talents to potentially be building block type players. Will they ever put it together? Who knows.

Neopoleon once said "ability is nothing without opportunity." Assuming they stay, here is their opportunity.
Nope they don't. If those are the 3 players we are building around over the next 3-4 years we will not be making the tournament. Odom needs to bring in better talent than what is on the current roster if we are going to compete for the MW crown and continue making the dance.
Bairstow: We’ve had a pretty good sample size of Bairstow. Bairstow can be a useful guy off the bench as long as he is in a role that does not require him to dribble. I lost all hope for him ever being a “build around” or even starter quality player in about a 5-minute span in one of our games this year.

McChesney: We’ve badly, and I mean BADLY needed someone with McChesney’s purported skillset on our last two teams, and it does not bode well that he hasn’t been able to find the floor much, and has looked pretty bad in the few moments he has been on the floor. People also lightheartedly joke about his weight, but I think it’s a serious problem. Its not like an Alston or KD lankiness — he looks frail and unwell, and I am not saying that to be mean. It also sounds like he’s struggled a bit with injuries, so I’ll cut him a bit of slack. Could he be good eventually? Definitely! But I am not comfortable at all considering him a piece to build around right now.

Ashworth: I think Ashworth could be special.
Regarding Bairstow:

I know it is completely unfair and short-sighted of me and I certainly wouldn't want to be defined by my worst moment in life, but every time I look at Bairstow, my mind goes to a breakaway, uncontested layup, a guy tripping/stumbling over his own feet, and a ball being thrown harmlessly out of bounds.
These users thanked the author Yossarian for the post:
hipsterdoofus21

Eutaw St. Aggie

BleedAggieBlue0
Pick'em Champ - '14 Bowl

Post by BleedAggieBlue0 » April 13th, 2021, 4:44 pm

OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:

Really dude? You really think those 3 are going to be the best players on a MW championship team? Keep in mind, our two MW championship teams had 2 NBA players on them. They can be pieces on a great team, but if they are who we are building around, we are in serious trouble. The best Aggie player over the next 3-4 years currently isn't on our roster.
Maybe, but you can't definitely tell me the potential doesn't still exist for one or two of them to blossom into something special. Smith himself said there are "one or two" other guys on this year's roster (outside of Queta) who have NBA potential. All three of them have had (somewhat) limited playing time up until now - my point is, lets not write them off yet.
I'm not writing them off as potential good players, but if they are the core of our team that we are building around for the next 3-4 years, Odom will be much closer to Duryea than to Smith. There is a difference between guys with value like they have and guys who are foundational players that you build around.
If they’re the core we’re building around, that’s a downright embarrassing core. And that really isn’t up for debate. Not a single star level player on the roster. Odom will have to recruit some studs and he knows it. I’m interested to see who he brings in to create a competitive roster.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » April 13th, 2021, 5:00 pm

SLB wrote:
April 13th, 2021, 4:21 pm
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:

I should point out that Odom has never lost a single game in his time as the Aggies head coach.
Relevance? Obviously Odom doesn't think like OCA does. If he does, he won't do well at USU. Try to work on your reading comprehension kid.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » April 13th, 2021, 5:01 pm

BleedAggieBlue0 wrote:
April 13th, 2021, 4:44 pm
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:

If they’re the core we’re building around, that’s a downright embarrassing core. And that really isn’t up for debate. Not a single star level player on the roster. Odom will have to recruit some studs and he knows it. I’m interested to see who he brings in to create a competitive roster.

Yep. OrangeCounty's building blocks couldn't win a big sky title, let alone a MW title. Odom needs to recruit well and work the transfer portal. Hopefully he is doing just that.

OrangeCountyAggie

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » April 13th, 2021, 6:06 pm

April 13th, 2021, 5:01 pm
BleedAggieBlue0 wrote:
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:

Yep. OrangeCounty's building blocks couldn't win a big sky title, let alone a MW title. Odom needs to recruit well and work the transfer portal. Hopefully he is doing just that.
I never said that coach Odom shouldn't go out and recruit. But like it or not, they will (probably) be a part of our core for the next 3-4 years.

JonnyCienPesos

Post by JonnyCienPesos » April 13th, 2021, 6:10 pm

I know...let’s just go ahead and piss on the kids who decided to stick around and then piss and moan about loyalty when the others leave.

These users thanked the author JonnyCienPesos for the post (total 11):
OrangeCountyAggieslcaggbluegrouseaggieguy13hipsterdoofus21BustaMcNuttReal Life AggieBLUERUFiOaggies22Aggiefan33 and one more user

I'm actually really smart, probably smarter than you are so if you disagree with what I have stated in this post, you are likely wrong (and dumb).

ThunderAggie

Post by ThunderAggie » April 13th, 2021, 6:39 pm

Aglicious wrote:
April 13th, 2021, 2:52 pm
Yossarian wrote:
April 13th, 2021, 2:42 pm
ThunderAggie wrote:
April 13th, 2021, 2:38 pm
bullshot wrote:
April 13th, 2021, 2:31 pm
Cal’s best player (Bradley) just transferred to SDS.
How did they land him? He could of went to any P5 school! It is Malachi Flynn all over again. :bangwall:
It's San Diego, CA, and he's 20.
The thing is HE sought THEM out. He said he knew this is where he wanted to transfer to before he even made the announcement to put his name in the portal. This is what we're up against if we want to contend for a championship.

Oh, and the news only gets better for them - guess who Bradley's real good friend is that he grew up playing AAU ball with? Utah transfer (and best player) Timmy Allen.
Looks like Timmy Allen is transferring to Texas
These users thanked the author ThunderAggie for the post:
bluegrouse

bluegrouse

Post by bluegrouse » April 13th, 2021, 7:08 pm

ThunderAggie wrote:
April 13th, 2021, 6:39 pm
Aglicious wrote:
Yossarian wrote:
ThunderAggie wrote:
bullshot wrote:
How did they land him? He could of went to any P5 school! It is Malachi Flynn all over again. :bangwall:
The thing is HE sought THEM out. He said he knew this is where he wanted to transfer to before he even made the announcement to put his name in the portal. This is what we're up against if we want to contend for a championship.

Oh, and the news only gets better for them - guess who Bradley's real good friend is that he grew up playing AAU ball with? Utah transfer (and best player) Timmy Allen.
Whew. I really thought he was headed to SDSU based on a Bradley tweet earlier.

SSaggie

Post by SSaggie » April 13th, 2021, 7:15 pm

Yossarian wrote:
ineptimusprime wrote:
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:

Bairstow: We’ve had a pretty good sample size of Bairstow. Bairstow can be a useful guy off the bench as long as he is in a role that does not require him to dribble. I lost all hope for him ever being a “build around” or even starter quality player in about a 5-minute span in one of our games this year.

McChesney: We’ve badly, and I mean BADLY needed someone with McChesney’s purported skillset on our last two teams, and it does not bode well that he hasn’t been able to find the floor much, and has looked pretty bad in the few moments he has been on the floor. People also lightheartedly joke about his weight, but I think it’s a serious problem. Its not like an Alston or KD lankiness — he looks frail and unwell, and I am not saying that to be mean. It also sounds like he’s struggled a bit with injuries, so I’ll cut him a bit of slack. Could he be good eventually? Definitely! But I am not comfortable at all considering him a piece to build around right now.

Regarding Bairstow:

I know it is completely unfair and short-sighted of me and I certainly wouldn't want to be defined by my worst moment in life, but every time I look at Bairstow, my mind goes to a breakaway, uncontested layup, a guy tripping/stumbling over his own feet, and a ball being thrown harmlessly out of bounds.
Yep, bless his heart.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » April 13th, 2021, 7:22 pm

JonnyCienPesos wrote:
April 13th, 2021, 6:10 pm
I know...let’s just go ahead and piss on the kids who decided to stick around and then piss and moan about loyalty when the others leave.

How is bringing up the fact that you aren't winning a conference title building around Ashworth, Bairstow and McChesney "pissing on them"? I'm happy that they stayed, but if they are going to be our best players over the next few years, we aren't going to be competing in the MW. Yes, sometimes lines are crossed with negativity, but it also isn't constructive when discussing our team to just pretend they are the 92 Dream Team and never discuss their flaws.

bluegrouse

Post by bluegrouse » April 13th, 2021, 7:22 pm

ThunderAggie wrote:
Aglicious wrote:
Yossarian wrote:
ThunderAggie wrote:
bullshot wrote:

I think Texas/Chris Beard won the recruiting day today

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » April 13th, 2021, 7:24 pm

OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
April 13th, 2021, 6:06 pm
April 13th, 2021, 5:01 pm
BleedAggieBlue0 wrote:
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:

I never said that coach Odom shouldn't go out and recruit. But like it or not, they will (probably) be a part of our core for the next 3-4 years.
Hope they stay and are great players, but you talked of them as foundational players. If they are role players going forward, that will be a good thing. If our 3 best players are Ashworth, Bairstow and McChesney then I stand by what I said we won't be competing in the MW. Sorry if that is offensive to people. Although, pretty much everyone agrees with me even if they won't admit that. If people on here actually saw Ashworth, Bairstow and McChesney as our foundation for the next several years, nobody would be disappointed with the current state of things. They would be thrilled because we had 3 stars that were going to carry us into the tournament for the next several years.

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » April 13th, 2021, 7:48 pm

bluegrouse wrote:
April 13th, 2021, 7:08 pm
ThunderAggie wrote:
Aglicious wrote:
Yossarian wrote:
ThunderAggie wrote:
bullshot wrote:

Me too. If he would have joined Bradley we may as well have crowned the Aztecs now.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » April 13th, 2021, 7:49 pm

Aglicious wrote:
April 13th, 2021, 7:48 pm
bluegrouse wrote:
ThunderAggie wrote:
Aglicious wrote:
Yossarian wrote:
ThunderAggie wrote:
bullshot wrote:

Me too. If he would have joined Bradley we may as well have crowned the Aztecs now.
I actually disagree. We need good teams in the conference.

bluegrouse

Post by bluegrouse » April 13th, 2021, 8:53 pm

slcagg wrote:
April 13th, 2021, 7:49 pm
Aglicious wrote:
April 13th, 2021, 7:48 pm
bluegrouse wrote:
ThunderAggie wrote:
Aglicious wrote:
Yossarian wrote:
ThunderAggie wrote:
bullshot wrote:

I actually disagree. We need good teams in the conference.
Oh, they’ll be good. Don’t have worry about SDSU pulling down the conference.

bullshot

Post by bullshot » April 14th, 2021, 6:27 am

Yossarian wrote:
April 13th, 2021, 3:23 pm
AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
April 13th, 2021, 2:58 pm
SDSU seems to be an attractive destination for a lot of transfers from programs within California (both P5 and mid/low major). We don’t seem to be near as attractive for some reason (insert weather or culture comment here). We are a traditionally strong program, similar to SDSU. Maybe Odom can change the perception.
How about this:

It's Sunday in late January. You had a tough game on the previous Saturday night. You don't have any homework to make up and you have the day off from practice/film session. In San Diego, it's 70 degrees and there are several beaches around. The water might be too cold to swim, but the sun is pleasant and warm as you stroll the beach or just hang out with your buddies. In Logan, it's 12 degrees and the entire town is shut down except for a few restaurants and campus is dead. Which sounds better?
Well when you put it that way. ..............Why did I go to USU again?

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » April 14th, 2021, 9:53 am

bullshot wrote:
April 14th, 2021, 6:27 am
Yossarian wrote:
AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
SDSU seems to be an attractive destination for a lot of transfers from programs within California (both P5 and mid/low major). We don’t seem to be near as attractive for some reason (insert weather or culture comment here). We are a traditionally strong program, similar to SDSU. Maybe Odom can change the perception.
How about this:

It's Sunday in late January. You had a tough game on the previous Saturday night. You don't have any homework to make up and you have the day off from practice/film session. In San Diego, it's 70 degrees and there are several beaches around. The water might be too cold to swim, but the sun is pleasant and warm as you stroll the beach or just hang out with your buddies. In Logan, it's 12 degrees and the entire town is shut down except for a few restaurants and campus is dead. Which sounds better?
I love USU, but the winters certainly aren't a selling point. I had a roommate from Arizona that was a legacy USU family, but by second semester he decided to transfer for his sophmore year back to Arizona because of how cold it was.

With that said we have had a winning record against SDSU over the past 3 years, so we are doing something right.

Aggie in Boise

Post by Aggie in Boise » April 14th, 2021, 9:58 am

April 14th, 2021, 9:53 am
bullshot wrote:
Yossarian wrote:
AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
How about this:

I love USU, but the winters certainly aren't a selling point. I had a roommate from Arizona that was a legacy USU family, but by second semester he decided to transfer for his sophmore year back to Arizona because of how cold it was.

With that said we have had a winning record against SDSU over the past 3 years, so we are doing something right.
Yip. We had Queta the last three years and two of those three years included Sam.

"We've upped our standards, so UP YOURS." Unknown

AGGIEinIOWA

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » April 14th, 2021, 10:01 am

bullshot wrote:
Yossarian wrote:
AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
How about this:

Not having beaches and warm weather distractions and competition for fans can be a selling point! No better place for fans to settle in on a chilly January evening than in the Spectrum! We often hear football recruits talk about how coming to Logan allowed them to focus on football and school. Serious hoopers may appreciate that too.

aggiesdotcom

Post by aggiesdotcom » April 14th, 2021, 11:03 am

Bluened wrote:
April 13th, 2021, 4:26 pm
SLB wrote:
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:

This!! And he had 1 more tournament win than Smith in his career. Give the man some time!!

Odom has also never lost an NCAA game as a better seeded team, something that Smith can't claim.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » April 14th, 2021, 12:13 pm

Aggie in Boise wrote:
April 14th, 2021, 9:58 am
April 14th, 2021, 9:53 am
bullshot wrote:
Yossarian wrote:
AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
How about this:

Yip. We had Queta the last three years and two of those three years included Sam.
Yep, you need great players to win. That is why people are anxious for who Odom brings in over the next few weeks. We need some talent coming in, not just leaving.

mcaggie1

Post by mcaggie1 » April 14th, 2021, 4:13 pm

Yossarian wrote:
AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
How about this:

Why Hyrum of course. My hometown.

Pacobag

Post by Pacobag » April 14th, 2021, 9:45 pm

mcaggie1 wrote:
April 14th, 2021, 4:13 pm
Why Hyrum of course. My hometown.
Nice roots!

bill.george

Post by bill.george » April 17th, 2021, 9:18 am

Yossarian wrote:
AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
How about this:

Well I live in SD and it is true, in fact January is a better month better month weather wise than May or June at the beach. If I knew what I know now I would prefer being a student at USU over SDSU. It is a commuter school. I have a daughter and son-in-law who are Aztecs and I remind them frequently.
As far as the student section at SDSU it is very small and poor imitation of The Hurd. It is more of a Halloween experience.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

coolag

Post by coolag » April 17th, 2021, 11:08 am

That settles it then. Gonzaga gets all those awesome recruits because of those lovely 75 degree days at the beaches of Spokane. I think the balmy January weather in Ann Arbor tips the scales as well. Surprised they havent hired Chico yet.
These users thanked the author coolag for the post (total 2):
crazywookieAggie formerly in Hawaii

Regulator of Class

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » April 17th, 2021, 11:49 am

coolag wrote:
April 17th, 2021, 11:08 am
That settles it then. Gonzaga gets all those awesome recruits because of those lovely 75 degree days at the beaches of Spokane. I think the balmy January weather in Ann Arbor tips the scales as well. Surprised they havent hired Chico yet.
Weather can be a factor, but it certainly isn't the most important thing. Having a great coach is and San Diego State is the best example of this. Before Steve Fisher they were a pretty dead program. One of the worst in the Wac during the 90's. Had only gone to the tournament a few times in their entire history. Steve Fisher shows up and they became the premiere program in the MW with his righthand man Dutcher keeping it going.

bill.george

Post by bill.george » May 7th, 2021, 2:35 pm

coolag wrote:That settles it then. Gonzaga gets all those awesome recruits because of those lovely 75 degree days at the beaches of Spokane. I think the balmy January weather in Ann Arbor tips the scales as well. Surprised they havent hired Chico yet.
I think the uncrowded beaches in Ann Arbor and Spokane are probably the determining factor.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » May 7th, 2021, 3:04 pm

Yossarian wrote:
April 13th, 2021, 4:30 pm
ineptimusprime wrote:
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:

Regarding Bairstow:

Same.

Locked Previous topicNext topic