A bad combination

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
SectionBAggie

A bad combination

Post by SectionBAggie » April 10th, 2021, 6:31 pm

Most freshman basketball players are teenagers. I would hazard a guess that some of my flakiest behavior took place during those golden years. And now that I have grandchildren approaching that age I have to admit that trying to get a teenager to behave in a way that makes sense to my mind is very much an uphill battle.

So when a basketball player in their teens makes decisions that I can't make sense of, I am more likely to place the blame on the age and maturity level than to question the merits of the individual's character.

Most NCAA head coaches are (to some degree) ego-maniacs. I would hazard a guess that some of the flakiest behavior that I have seen in adults comes from NCAA head coaches.

So when a head coach makes decisions that I don't necessarily agree with, I am more likely to place the blame on their self worth focus than to question the merits of the individual's character.

It gets really dicey when you have these two entities linked together in a product that I love to support.

Even though the University has its share of complicated issues, I still love to support the individuals that (at least for the current year) dress up in Aggie Blue to represent the university that I love. And it gets even better when they do so well for the duration of their eligibility.

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Re: A bad combination

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » April 10th, 2021, 6:47 pm

Sounds like boy scouts

coolag

Post by coolag » April 10th, 2021, 7:05 pm

Makes me appreciate and respect guys like Newbold, Wesley, Pooh Williams, etc. even more.
These users thanked the author coolag for the post (total 2):
Real Life AggieAggieFBObsession

Regulator of Class

ususports

Post by ususports » April 10th, 2021, 7:41 pm

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
April 10th, 2021, 6:47 pm
Sounds like boy scouts
I think they got neutered.

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » April 10th, 2021, 7:46 pm

coolag wrote:
April 10th, 2021, 7:05 pm
Makes me appreciate and respect guys like Newbold, Wesley, Pooh Williams, etc. even more.
Especially Pooh. Guy road the bench and suffered Stew’s wrath, struggled with homesickness, and had to adjust to the Utah culture. So proud of him for sticking it out.
These users thanked the author hipsterdoofus21 for the post:
AggieFBObsession

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » April 10th, 2021, 8:56 pm

Well, I would also say this:

90% of all college scholarship athletes will never play beyond college.

Outside of it being a more pleasing experience, why does it matter if the program is good or bad, if the coach is good or bad, if the team wins or loses? If a player can get their school paid for most anywhere, and if there is no sports "career," aren't there many more important considerations than the sport element of things?

I mean, as fans we like to make way more out of sports, but they don't matter that much. So when a guy makes a bad basketball decision and we think they're fools, maybe we're the fools for thinking that basketball means that much. The guy could be making a great life decision.
Last edited by brownjeans on April 11th, 2021, 8:10 am, edited 3 times in total.
These users thanked the author brownjeans for the post:
apo

Aggie in Boise

Post by Aggie in Boise » April 10th, 2021, 9:22 pm

ususports wrote:
April 10th, 2021, 7:41 pm
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
April 10th, 2021, 6:47 pm
Sounds like boy scouts
I think they got neutered.
Castrated is more like it.

"We've upped our standards, so UP YOURS." Unknown

AggieFBObsession

Post by AggieFBObsession » April 11th, 2021, 6:01 am

I have no problem with athletes leaving for another university for a master's degree, however, what bothers me is when they sign a scholarship with a school and don't stay after their freshman year. Should be something contracted about staying through the sophomore year at least.

TheAKAggie
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY

Post by TheAKAggie » April 11th, 2021, 6:10 am

Scholarships are revolving one year commitments to the school. School can cut a a kid at anytime and f them in relation to finding another school, that they would then have to sit at for a year to play again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author TheAKAggie for the post:
brownjeans

Hail Aggies!

Blitz79

Post by Blitz79 » April 11th, 2021, 7:18 am

brownjeans wrote:
April 10th, 2021, 8:56 pm

Outside of it being a more pleasing experience, why does it matter if the program is good or bad, if the coach is good or bad, if the team wins or loses? If a player can get their school paid for most anywhere, and if there is no sports "career," aren't there many more important considerations than the sport element of things?

I mean, as fans we like to make way more out of sports, but they don't matter that much. So when a guy makes a bad basketball decision and we think they're fools, maybe we're the fools for thinking that basketball means that much. They guy could be making a great life decision.
Agree 100%. I drives me nuts when I read on this forum complaints about kids leaving. They are trying to find a better situation for them. Sometimes they will, sometimes they won't. That's life. But it's their life and their choice. Us whining about them not staying here because we like to watch them bounce a ball is pretty pathetic and selfish.
These users thanked the author Blitz79 for the post:
Real Life Aggie

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » April 11th, 2021, 9:10 am

Blitz79 wrote:
April 11th, 2021, 7:18 am
brownjeans wrote:
April 10th, 2021, 8:56 pm

I mean, as fans we like to make way more out of sports, but they don't matter that much. So when a guy makes a bad basketball decision and we think they're fools, maybe we're the fools for thinking that basketball means that much. They guy could be making a great life decision.
Agree 100%. I drives me nuts when I read on this forum complaints about kids leaving. They are trying to find a better situation for them. Sometimes they will, sometimes they won't. That's life. But it's their life and their choice. Us whining about them not staying here because we like to watch them bounce a ball is pretty pathetic and selfish.
I get really tired of the violent posts on here too. Makes me want to punch them repeatedly in the face until they drown in their own blood.
These users thanked the author hipsterdoofus21 for the post (total 2):
USU78Bank Shot

Locked Previous topicNext topic